As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    TMB is VERY annoying on TTS. Any dice game kind of sucks on TTS and Too Many Bones has a lot of dice.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    As much as I love boardgames, I'm having a hard time playing them these days. The wife hardly wants to play anything that requires more than a minute of set up or explanation and the pandemic and two small children have shut down any options of going out to meet others.

So the obvious solution was to play more boardgames digitally. I've looked through my stats and I've played thousands of games of Ascension and hundreds of games of One Deck Dungeon. The space saving and automation of set up and take down make my own desire to play boardgames far reduced. Of course, nothing can replace the face-to-face experience or the tactile feel of components, but the alternative is never playing them at all.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    As much as I love boardgames, I'm having a hard time playing them these days. The wife hardly wants to play anything that requires more than a minute of set up or explanation and the pandemic and two small children have shut down any options of going out to meet others.

So the obvious solution was to play more boardgames digitally. I've looked through my stats and I've played thousands of games of Ascension and hundreds of games of One Deck Dungeon. The space saving and automation of set up and take down make my own desire to play boardgames far reduced. Of course, nothing can replace the face-to-face experience or the tactile feel of components, but the alternative is never playing them at all.

O ya back when my social group was puny and I could never play all the games I bought I played a ton of digital games. I definitely have a few thousand games of Ascension logged and there were times when I was playing multiple asynchronous games of like, Le Havre, because it was the one Uwe game with a digital translation.

• Options
    One of my favorite games that's been released in the past few years was Hero Realms.

The wife and I LOVED Star Realms and played it a lot. Fast set up, easy to understand, quick games. It was perfect for us. Hero Realms came out and I picked it up. Similar in design, but with enough tweaks to make it different. Again, we both loved it. But then she just...stopped playing physical games.

I bought us the Hero Realms second Kickstarter expansion stuff thinking it might rekindle interest. Nope. Sadly, it's all sitting on my shelf, still sealed. :(

So when I saw they were bringing Hero Realms to iOS I got both excited and sad at the same time. Happy to know I can play Hero Realms again, but sad that I'm reminded of what's left unplayed at home. Hopefully the UI for the game will be improved over the bland and slightly unwieldy Star Realms iOS game. It looks good from what I saw in the campaign.

Although I'm seriously worried about the pricing structure. The KS (which only lasted 9 days?!) had only two options; $25 or $99. The $25 included the base game and the 5 character packs, along with $30 in "gems" to buy cosmetics and tournaments (Uh oh...). The $99 version includes everything and anything being released in the future, including unlimited gems for cosmetics and tournaments. This is dangerously concerning, but I'll wait and see how it plays out.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular

Tabletop Simulator has been a huge boon for me in this regard. I've ended up finding a group that we meet up to play games weekly. Games vary depending on how many show up basically. And because of TTS, I've played all sorts of games that I may not have played just because no one I know has them. Interestingly, there's basically no overlap between my in person gaming group and my online group.

As you said, it's not the same as playing in person, but it's better than not playing at all for sure.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • Options
    I own TTS, but never played it (surprise, surprise!). I know it's basically just a boardgame engine, yet I'm concerned that I'll have to spend a lot of time figuring out add-ons or in-engine stuff. Is it intuitive?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I own TTS, but never played it (surprise, surprise!). I know it's basically just a boardgame engine, yet I'm concerned that I'll have to spend a lot of time figuring out add-ons or in-engine stuff. Is it intuitive?

Yah it's pretty intuitive. 90% of it is just selecting and dragging things, with some right-click context menu stuff for decks of cards. There's some module scripting stuff that can be a little tricky but that depends on the module and you can pretty much always play around it, it'll just be slower.

I played a fair number of games over TTS and the only one I probably wouldn't play again was Feast for Odin, but that was more a focus problem than a gameplay problem. Root felt smoother on TTS than in person.

admanb on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I can't get into TTS unless upkeep is really well scripted.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Yah it's pretty intuitive. 90% of it is just selecting and dragging things, with some right-click context menu stuff for decks of cards. There's some module scripting stuff that can be a little tricky but that depends on the module and you can pretty much always play around it, it'll just be slower.

I played a fair number of games over TTS and the only one I probably wouldn't play again was Feast for Odin, but that was more a focus problem than a gameplay problem. Root felt smoother on TTS than in person.

With well-scripted modules, like the one for Lost Ruins of Arnak I was playing on Wednesday, it can flow pretty well. The click-and-drag style for direct interaction hurts some games (mostly ones with lots of cards or meeples) even if you're making good use of keyboard shortcuts, but your average game without a ton of parts you move directly works rather well.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just saw that my local store got in Unfathomable, the remake/reskin of Battlestar Galactica.

Thinking about it this morning... I just can't. As much as I love both the Arkham games and BSG, I can't justify buying another board game right now. I rarely play the ones I do have, I'm out of space, and I have the original BSG complete and have no plans on getting rid of it.

Maybe someday? But... no. I was on the fence for a while anyways, but recent life events and thoughts and thought changes have really brought it into stark contrast that I just don't need it.

And besides, I can spend the money on the Terraforming Mars upgraded resource cubes, because I do enjoy getting bling for the board games I do have, and I just couldn't justify that cost yet.. but man are the base game cubes kind of wussy.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular

Yeah, it's ultimately just a "physics engine". Which means you can basically play anything but some of them can be a little "finnicky". Some depend on the mods as others said, some have really nice scripting while others you basically have to do everything yourself. I would also expect almost any game played on TTS to take at least an extra 30 minutes just due to controls. Having to drag stuff around and all that. It's overall really not bad once you get used to it though.

Getting games for it is as simple as just going on the steam workshop for it and searching for the games you want.

Important controls are fairly simple.
    "R" rolls dice or shuffles a deck/bag.
    "F" flips something over.
    "alt" makes something bigger to read easier.
    "alt-shift" looks at the back of something (great for hidden role games and such)
    "L" can lock something so that you can't move it until you unlock it (same key)
    "M" does a magnifying glass function.
    "any number" over a deck of cards auto-draws that many cards to your hand. Need to draw 3 cards? Hit 3 and it pulls 3. Much faster than dragging individual cards from the deck to your hand.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    One addition:

Left click held + right click is "take 1 more" per right-click. Very helpful for tokens, they end up in your hand otherwise and become a pain to manage.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My local store has Food Chain Magnate in stock and on sale for $95. I'm very tempted, but It would just be another game in cellophane on my shelf. I have no idea when I would be able to play it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I did pick up Mission:Red Planet for our game day on Thursday. Trying to find a 6 player game that isn't a card game or an all day game is a challenge. The store Clerk highly recommended it and it seemed to be fairly well rated on BGG.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Mission Red Planet is light, but fun. I don't play it too often but yeah that niche is hard to fill, so it is a reliable standby.

It's tethered unavoidably in my head with Onward to Venus, which I got at around the same time and is a nice, medium-light 4x that goes up to 5, so it too holds a relatively unique and probably permanent place on the shelf.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I did pick up Mission:Red Planet for our game day on Thursday. Trying to find a 6 player game that isn't a card game or an all day game is a challenge. The store Clerk highly recommended it and it seemed to be fairly well rated on BGG.

Between 2 Castles of Mad King Ludwig
    Medici
    Paris Connection
    Northern Pacific

If you're looking for more to check out :)

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Maybe ricochet robots or Hellapagos?

Welcome To and Seven Wonders and Love Letter and For Sale probably count as card games

Sticheln is amazing but is clearly a card game.

Maybe Not Alone or Resistance or Captain Sonar or Ladies and Gentlemen

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Went to the dutch board game con and we played a couple of games there (didn't buy anything as I didn't want to drag them around and nothing was "a must buy this right now")

We played
    - Unmatched: We had fun, but we did a 2 vs. 2 and the other side had all ranged attackers and we were melee only, so we got a lot of hits before we even closed in on their team. Fun, pretty short game and with a lot of room for expansions by adding different characters.
    - Game with name I have forgotten, basically The Crew with some small changes.
    - Star Wars Escape Room game: we had fun, but it's a "play this once for each scenario"
    - Villainous Marvel: Didn't gel well. We liked the idea, but it was frustrating to play (Hela was never really getting momentum. Ultron was moving forward with no real way to block him, just slowly gaining every turn. I played Killmonger and never got the Explosives till my last turn).

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Flashpoint fire rescue plays 6.
    Sidereal confluence also plays 6 and is playable in 2 hours.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

How easily? It's listed as 120-180min on bgg so i haven't bought it for my group. Wingspan is listed as 40-70 and takes 2 hours, so i figured something listed at 120-180 would regularly hit the 4 hour mark

sig.gif
  • Options

How easily? It's listed as 120-180min on bgg so i haven't bought it for my group. Wingspan is listed as 40-70 and takes 2 hours, so i figured something listed at 120-180 would regularly hit the 4 hour mark

I always mentally add 20 minutes per game for each player I know who doesn't grasp rules well, or takes a bit to get the flow of things.

• Options

I always mentally add 20 minutes per game for each player I know who doesn't grasp rules well, or takes a bit to get the flow of things.

I had previously assumed sidereal confluence was like GWT or Core Worlds with the expansions - for experienced players who know the rules well, doesn't really fit in a weeknight. Brass Birmingham fits, kind of, if we hurry.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Wingspan is proving a real hit with my flatmate and I. Lots of back and forth on who's winning - right now the streak is mine, but previously she was on a 4~5 game tear.

Also did my first crack at 3 player Oceans yesterday, which was fun. I ended up winning but also having The Most Obnoxious Ecosystem.

My final boardstate ended up being a Chitinous Maw, a parasite leeching off that (Hooray for reading the rules and discovering you can have the same type of effects fire in any order you wish), then two symbionts, one each side flanking a Tentacled, Warm-Blooded Cavitation bullet critter. Also i'd had a Parasite leeching off one of my flatmate's stuff forever (She eventually caused it to die, the jerk).

Net upshot of all of this though was that i was scooping up a bunch of points on my turn, often by stealing food off other player's critters thanks to Caviation bullet... but at the end of my turn, i'd have zero food left on any of my critters, rendering attacking me a futile effort. Most Obnoxious Eco-system, go!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

2 hours was not at all my experience with SC, but we only played it a few times. Maybe you could get there if your group played it all the time, but the amount of info to parse in that game is ridiculous and I think getting fluent in it would be a herculean undertaking.

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    According to my BG Stats app, my three plays of Sidereal Confluence since I started using it came it at:

3:48 (4 players)
    3:23 (4 players)
    3:42 (5 players)

In all cases, everyone had played before, but I needed to give mild rules explanation/reminders before starting.

In theory, if you enforce the time limit in all trading phases and then people can independently manage their producers quickly and then don't dillydally on the bidding sequences, then you should be able to knock a game out in about two hours.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

We play it on the regular. I asked my friends and they said its three hours.
    Apparently I am bad at observing play time...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh, but is it such a satisfyingly loud and rowdy three hours.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

We play it on the regular. I asked my friends and they said its three hours.
    Apparently I am bad at observing play time...

dude i am so bad at estimating anything, ever

don't tell anyone 🤫

sig.gif
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I got my Mythic Hero Quest box today. I popped a little mini-unbox on my Insta if anyone wants to flip through. I'll dig deeper into the minis when I'm not cooking dinner and corralling a 5 year old.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Monsterpocalypse? The giant kaiju battle with supporting units look has always appealed to me, but 1st ed. was blind bag pre-paints and 2nd ed. on first release was expensive resin. The current Kickstarter for the traditional KS giant box of plastic is thus quite tempting.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    I got my Mythic Hero Quest box today. I popped a little mini-unbox on my Insta if anyone wants to flip through. I'll dig deeper into the minis when I'm not cooking dinner and corralling a 5 year old.

Mine comes today or tomorrow. I'm excited!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      R-demR-dem Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Spoilers: it's awesome. The minis are nice, and I really dig the addition of female characters (the female Orcs just might be my favorite). All the furniture now is solid plastic instead of cardboard mix. I had forgotten we were getting three additional quest books too, so between that, the base game, and the expansions, that's a whole lot of questin' right there.

• Options
      38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
      Are there multiple gargoyles? Are the dice bizarrely light weight?

38thDoE on steam
      🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
      BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      edited November 2021
      Has anyone played Monsterpocalypse? The giant kaiju battle with supporting units look has always appealed to me, but 1st ed. was blind bag pre-paints and 2nd ed. on first release was expensive resin. The current Kickstarter for the traditional KS giant box of plastic is thus quite tempting.

I haven't played since those first edition days, but I remember it being a lot of fun. It was very good at capturing the big, meaty, wrestly kaiju fights from Godzilla, Gamera, Pacific Rim, etc.

I moved on from it for a variety of reasons, some to do with their business model at the time, some to do with how it didn't really handle more than 2 players very well, but it was a heck of a bunch of fun.

BloodySloth on
    • Options
      I did a collage on the lid of my new Marvel Champions storage box. Think it came out pretty nice :)

• Options
      CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
      edited November 2021
      We played Escape from Flat Earth last night. It's...not a very good game. Like, it's possible to eliminate a player on the first turn. It's technically possible, in a three-player game, for the first player to eliminate the second player, almost eliminate the 3rd player, and then have the 3rd player eliminated by the game on their turn.

It's also possible, as we discovered in our second (of two) games, to reach a game state in which no one can win or lose and the game continues forever.

The card art is cute and it's sort of fun to identify all the TV and movie sci-fi referenced by the cards but I don't believe I will ever play it again by choice.

CptHamilton on
      PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      I know we're in the middle of an enormous shipping apocalypse, but man it sucks to know that it'll be nearly a year for one of my kickstarters to come in. :( And that at least 1 or 2 others are literally in ships waiting to offload.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
      I hit up one of my local shops a couple days ago and picked up Mad Titan's Shadow and Nebula. When I went to check out, he told me he just got in War Machine, so now I'm caught up again. Now I just need to find time to play.

I have a friend I need to play with some more. He bought it and got rid of it. Then I brought it to a game day and we played a couple games of it, so then he bought it again. Playing with someone is way more satisfying than two handing it.

• Options
      ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
      Athenor wrote: »
      I know we're in the middle of an enormous shipping apocalypse, but man it sucks to know that it'll be nearly a year for one of my kickstarters to come in. :( And that at least 1 or 2 others are literally in ships waiting to offload.

Return to Dark Tower looks like it's ultimately going to end up being a year late. But at least it's going to show up...which is not something that can be said for every kickstarter that went through this pandemic.

• Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

I missed out on getting it because well of the low pay I got last year
      I see it's up on ebay for 600/700 and I will wait and see if it comes down or they reissue it