As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I actually really like the UI for Android 12 but it's probably a case of me getting too used to Android 11. I like to have visual changes from time to time.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I like the combined mobile data and wifi menu after I learned that tapping your carrier will switch over to them and reconnect to wifi automatically later on.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So apparently the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro never actually hit anywhere close to the advertised 30W charging speeds, even with the official 30W charger. Tests by various outlets mostly agree that the highest speed see in around 22W, which is a bit less than 75% of the advertised speed.

That's not ideal.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hmm, I think I might have shorted out something on my phone? It's reporting that it's charging a connected device via usb despite nothing being attached, and it has issues recognizing actual connections.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So apparently the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro never actually hit anywhere close to the advertised 30W charging speeds, even with the official 30W charger. Tests by various outlets mostly agree that the highest speed see in around 22W, which is a bit less than 75% of the advertised speed.

That's not ideal.
    From what I've read, Google very shrewdly never actually advertised a 30W charging speed - they just said "check our new Pixel 6/6 Pro phones!" in the same breath as "they work with our dope-ass 30W chargers!" all the time, and also mentioned that you can get a 50% charge in an hour (or something like that), which is consistent with phones that charge at 30W. My understanding is that they never explicitly said that the phones charge at 30W, they just said "30W" a lot and raised their eyebrows suggestively, and everyone just assume that they must be 30W charging phones.

What I read a few days ago is that the phones can indeed get up to 50% in an hour, charging very quickly, so the promotional material was completely accurate - it's just that after the 50% charge mark, it intentionally steps down the speed at which it charges by a lot.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Personally, I care a lot more about how long a phone lasts in between charges. Typically when I'm charging my phone is in the car or on the nightstand. But I expect to go the whole workday at least without worrying about charging.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

That's not ideal.

I know from UK models that there is a pretty big issue of the phone randomly losing your network carrier signal so no calls or data until you completely reboot the phone.

Other smaller known issues are ghost phoning people at random, which is linked to google assist, and the screen flickering during standby which I presume is a software bug fix.

The weirdest issue seen though has to be the screen showing a second hole punch black spot at the exact same height as the camera but at the other side of the screen. This one apparently can’t be fixed and needs a replacement.

Ziggymon on
    apparenlty if you let the Pixel 6/ 6 Pro battery completely die it disables your fingerprint sensor until you do a factory reset.

https://www.androidpolice.com/completely-discharging-your-google-pixel-6-can-break-its-fingerprint-scanner/

For a company that literally builds most of Android, they are astonishingly bad at software on their own phones.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Fucking hell I'm still getting delayed notifications on my phone and it's really fucking annoying. I just got one that buzzed my phone but the actual notification was 23 minutes ago.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fucking hell I'm still getting delayed notifications on my phone and it's really fucking annoying. I just got one that buzzed my phone but the actual notification was 23 minutes ago.

Did you change phones or just go to Android 12?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Starting to feel like the thread title needs another update...

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to lean toward the Pixel 5(G) over the 6. The size is more reasonable for me and it's going to be $400 US next week.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm starting to lean toward the Pixel 5(G) over the 6. The size is more reasonable for me and it's going to be $400 US next week.

I have a 5G, and it's still pretty big. I like it, but it's not a smaller phone experience by any stretch. For comparison, I had the 3XL before the 5G and they are the same size.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm surprised you can still get one. I was under the impression that they were going to halt manufacture of the Pixel 5.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Did you change phones or just go to Android 12?

Nope this was happening before A12. I was banking on the fact that it was because they were in the process of changing OSes so maybe it was related. But it's still happening and it's really frustrating. Especially since I use Outlook Calendar to remind me to pick my kids up.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Is it all notifications or just Outlook? I used to have the same problem with Outlook but don't remember what I did to fix it (might have just cleared the cache, may have uninistalled and reinstalled).

It didn't fix everything though, as now Outlook basically refuses to clear notifications of unread emails. I can remove the notification but as soon as I get a new email he Outlook notification makes it seem like I just received 50.

emp123 wrote: »
    Is it all notifications or just Outlook? I used to have the same problem with Outlook but don't remember what I did to fix it (might have just cleared the cache, may have uninistalled and reinstalled).

It didn't fix everything though, as now Outlook basically refuses to clear notifications of unread emails. I can remove the notification but as soon as I get a new email he Outlook notification makes it seem like I just received 50.

Unfortunately it's all notifications but only sometimes? Like I still seem to get the buzz from my Google Home cameras when someone walks in front of them. But other notifications like Outlook and Facebook Messenger and whatnot decide to come in at their own leisure it seems.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I decided to go with regular Pixel 6 due to a variety of reasons. On top of being hard to find, it's honestly just slightly too pricey for me at the moment to get the pro. Smarter to go a bit cheaper here heading into the holidays. But I'll be honest, only the Google store had it, and I might have fired off on the Pro had it shipped faster than "early December" but alas my current phone is dying fast.

Local H Jay on
    That being said if I break this one I'm not going to hesitate to hop on a Pro should I have the funds

honestly, most reviewers are not hesitant to say that the regular pixel 6 is the better of the two options, unless having a telephoto camera is a deal breaker.

I'd actually prefer just having the extra ram but honestly the pro look a little too big for my hands

I'd actually prefer just having the extra ram but honestly the pro look a little too big for my hands

The phones are virtually the same size. the 6 pro is 5mm taller (about 0.19 inches for you americans), and aboout 1mm wider, (0.03 inches). They are the same thickness and the 6 pro is a whopping 3 grams heavier.

This is one year where size shouldn't matter on what phone you pick.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    honestly, most reviewers are not hesitant to say that the regular pixel 6 is the better of the two options, unless having a telephoto camera is a deal breaker.

Any reviews that break down the differences in such a way? I thought the processing and memory was better enough to make the Pro a clearly better option but I'm not paying close enough attention for sure.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Pro is slightly better in all respects: size, processor, memory, etc. However, the real differentiator is the third camera which offers a "true" 4x optical zoom. For most people I don't think it matters much, but if you truly care about having high-resolution photos that capture every detail, particularly at long distances, then the Pro might be worth it.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The hell would they remove weather from the home screen for? Especially if they aren't doing anything with that space. I can sort of get it back by adding a widget from the Google app but then it's just another app icon and you have to click it plus there's still a giant empty spot at the top of my home screen where the weather used to be

Edit: talking about silly Android 12

Carpy on
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Any reviews that break down the differences in such a way? I thought the processing and memory was better enough to make the Pro a clearly better option but I'm not paying close enough attention for sure.

people always overinflate the importance of the ram. modern flagships have enough that you don't really have to worry about it.

Most of the reviews say "yes, the 6 pro is better, but it isn't $300 better than the 6"

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The hell would they remove weather from the home screen for? Especially if they aren't doing anything with that space. I can sort of get it back by adding a widget from the Google app but then it's just another app icon and you have to click it plus there's still a giant empty spot at the top of my home screen where the weather used to be

Edit: talking about silly Android 12

mdtu7y5iid5n.png

Still there for me, just tiny.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    It's all about that 5G mmWave**, which the 6 Pro has but the regular 6 doesn't*.

*Yes, some carriers offer a regular 6 with mmWave 5G. Not where I live though.

**It's not really all about that 5G mmWave, as I don't even have the vanilla version of 5G in my area yet.

Number One Tricky
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    4lcd78v5dt5d.jpeg

Weird, for sure not there on mine.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I really fucking hate that I can't remove that widget.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mine also has the weather but I prefer different apps for weather checks:

Shadow Weather
    MyRadar

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    people always overinflate the importance of the ram. modern flagships have enough that you don't really have to worry about it.
    The official answer from Google is that the larger RAM size in the Pro is mainly to support the higher resolution display & GPU.

Shadow Weather
    MyRadar
    I use Meteogram when I want detailed information and RadarScope for radar.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I've been using Today Weather.

It's good.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I keep a web browser tab on my local NWS forecast page lol

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I'm still salty about Dark Sky getting bought by Apple.

Barrakketh wrote: »
    The official answer from Google is that the larger RAM size in the Pro is mainly to support the higher resolution display & GPU.

Shadow Weather
    MyRadar
    I use Meteogram when I want detailed information and RadarScope for radar.

Radarscope is dope!

Samsung has released One UI 4 (Android 12) for the S21 series. Fastest release of a new Andorid version ever from Samsung. First OEM outside of Google to release a stable Android 12.

the Z Fold 3, Flip 3, and S20 and Note 20 lines get it in december. The Fold 2, Note 10, S10, etc get it in January. Tablets and midrange devices follow later in 2022.

This is really good news that the biggest android OEM (in the western world) is on the ball like this. This, more than anything, will really help Android 12 adoption.

edited November 2021
    Fucking hell my notifications for Google Calendar and Outlook never went off and I almost missed getting my kids off the bus.

edit: I just got a 2 day old notification. Something is fucked on my phone.

urahonky on
    Fucking hell my notifications for Google Calendar and Outlook never went off and I almost missed getting my kids off the bus.

Does this only happen on battery or both battery and plugged in?

you're on a pixel, correct? I would go into app settings (in settings-->apps, not settings within the apps) and see if there's settings that can overwrite power saving options. My best geuss is that it's queuing notifications while on battery for apps it isn't supposed to.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Any Home or do not disturb/quiet time features enabled?