As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    [The GRRM influence is still tbd, the story beats and whatnot.

The thing is that Miyazaki is already so good at Western style fantasy that I don't think it will be easy to tell what parts are GRRM or From.

The Lore is still all in the item descriptions, but now 75% of it is about food.

This post brought to you by the Obvious Joke Service. Thank you for using OJS.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    [The GRRM influence is still tbd, the story beats and whatnot.

The thing is that Miyazaki is already so good at Western style fantasy that I don't think it will be easy to tell what parts are GRRM or From.

The Lore is still all in the item descriptions, but now 75% of it is about food.

This post brought to you by the Obvious Joke Service. Thank you for using OJS.

I cannot wait for the Greasy Capon Ring.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Presumably you can only restore FP with flasks?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    yeah i don't know where i'm leaning build wise. kumo is a strong possibility. halberd depends on what the halberd moveset is; if it's the standard DS3 with spin2win i'm not on board but if we get one or more with different movesets i might roll with that. might do spears.

powerstancing being in changes a lot of the math tho. i'm always on board with double scimitars or katanas.

I think I'm doing lance greatshield.

Just reliving my Monster Hunter World days in a From crayola hellscape.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I was wondering if they had an off-brand Pyromancy in this game or reduced it to the more traditional Arcane/Divine magic.

How much of GRR Martin's influence is in the game? The demo I saw didn't have anything leap out at me.

Apparently they’ve kept the Sorcery/Pyromancy split, but I think the Pyro stuff swallowed Miracles up.

Not 100% sure on that

The GRRM influence is still tbd, the story beats and whatnot.

Sorceries and Pyromancies are all under the same umbrella. It looks like the split is back to DS1 Sorceries and Miracles which I'm fine with. What this means for Hexes and the like, not sure. Probably not even in the game (or at least not in the same way as it was in DS2).

There are supposedly magics that rely on Arcane, so maybe that's where the hexes be

Elendil wrote: »
    I've heard that sorcs and pyro (whatever their equivalent are) are stupid strong. Like, might be nerfed before release strong.

Unless From is really pushing away from Dex being the best build type (Strength is also Vitality in ER) from DS3.
    saw one youtuber say sorcery felt weak (as contrasted with miracles)

it looked nice tho

problem with weight scaling on strength is quality builds are probably still a thing so you can still go heavy boy with a longsword but with poise still not being DS1 cheesy and R1 spam nerfed maybe it's fine

Apparently the poise is still DS1 cheese but backstabs are DS3 precision, negating the cheese.

But being able to take a direct smack to the face and walk it off is my fucking bag.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    While I see the DNA from everything Fromsoft in there, more than anything I look at Elden Ring gameplay and feel like I'm looking at Dark Souls II-2. I mean that as a good thing.

Kamar on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Oh yea that is most certainly not an actual strategy guide. Either just a basic game thing or one of those early game things they tells you where some stuff is in the first little section.

As far as I can tell no one has announced an actual strategy guide yet.

Here's hoping! But I'm certainly not holding my breath. If one pops up I'll pre-order it in a heartbeat.

dark souls game guides are pricey used so I would do the same pre-ordering an Elden Ring one. I'm guessing we won't see one for pre-order until a month or two before launch, usually Gamestop stocks them when big name games launch. I love guides for deep open world games with huge maps, still have my Fallout 3 guide

Yea they are worth it for how pretty they are alone!

And just the ability to have all the gear in a handy place on my lap is worth the price of admission to me.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    What I love most about Elden Ring rn is that it proves that I actually can get super excited about a video game still

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    What I love most about Elden Ring rn is that it proves that I actually can get super excited about a video game still

Yeah, I keep thinking I'm getting too old for games, but then I think about the stuff getting released and realize it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with publishers trying to monetize every last atom of fun in gaming. We've got such awesome tech these days, yet most publishers are using it to push shitty game design people would've rejected twenty years ago. Damn near nothing interesting or different comes out of the AAA market anymore, it's all sequels that strangle the base material to death with cosmetics and DLC. Or in the case of Bethesda and Rockstar, doing damn near everything they can to avoid making new games so they can churn out endless re-releases.

FROM continues to just hit it out of the park every time, though.

Yeah, I keep thinking I'm getting too old for games, but then I think about the stuff getting released and realize it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with publishers trying to monetize every last atom of fun in gaming. We've got such awesome tech these days, yet most publishers are using it to push shitty game design people would've rejected twenty years ago. Damn near nothing interesting or different comes out of the AAA market anymore, it's all sequels that strangle the base material to death with cosmetics and DLC. Or in the case of Bethesda and Rockstar, doing damn near everything they can to avoid making new games so they can churn out endless re-releases.

FROM continues to just hit it out of the park every time, though.

Capcom has been on a fucking roll, as well.

DMC5, RE7 and RE8, Monster Hunter World and Rise, RE2 Remake, Dragons Dogma 2, etc.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Wait, Dragon’s Dogma 2?? Since when? That’s not released and I haven’t heard anything about it being announced…

Nitsua wrote: »
    Wait, Dragon’s Dogma 2?? Since when? That’s not released and I haven’t heard anything about it being announced…

Dragons Dogma 2 was in the Capcom leak, along with MH Rise PC and a few others that have been announced.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    You can't include a non-released game in your assessment of being "on a roll". It could turn out to be awful and end the roll.

reVerse on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    What I really want to know for Elden Ring is how much Bloodborne DNA is in it. Its faster paced style of play is a big factor in why I like it better than DS. I still hold out some faint hope for a rally mechanic being something you could acquire as a playstyle choice with some sort of trade-off.

A very faint hope

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    reVerse wrote: »
    You can't include a non-released game in your assessment of being "on a roll". It could turn out to be awful and end the roll.

Fair.

But it probably won’t be.

What I really want to know for Elden Ring is how much Bloodborne DNA is in it. Its faster paced style of play is a big factor in why I like it better than DS. I still hold out some faint hope for a rally mechanic being something you could acquire as a playstyle choice with some sort of trade-off.

A very faint hope

The rally mechanic was built into the flasks, where killing enemy groups replenishes them.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    DD2 hasn't even been announced yet, has it?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited November 2021

The question we all want to know

Will Elden Ring be a Flight Simulator?

jungleroomx on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Only flight route available is to sissyville.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

It'll be a Fight or Flight Simulator.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

A very faint hope

The rally mechanic was built into the flasks, where killing enemy groups replenishes them.

I suppose? I feel like in-combat rallying favors a more aggressive playstyle than refilling flasks though. I get that's probably not quite the direction they're going for in this since it hews to DS and DE in terms of combat from what I've seen, overall.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The rally thing is just a wholly unnatural mechanic to me. Getting hit is a universal sign to back off, not push harder and risk getting hit again before you've recovered. And yeah, I know they wanted to dissuade people from playing too conservatively, but it doesn't change the fact that basic human instinct is get away and collect yourself if you get hit by something.

On the flip side, going after more enemies to get more health makes a shitload more sense. You play well, you get bonus health. You do badly, you lose net health or die. And you can play your way to get the bonus rather than being forced to rush down an enemy.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Why does the player character still look so weird in this. I thought it was a symptom of a small dev team in previous souls games, but is it intentional? Like no matter what you do with the sliders it’s impossible to make a player character that looks up to the standards of modern games.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

A very faint hope

I suppose? I feel like in-combat rallying favors a more aggressive playstyle than refilling flasks though. I get that's probably not quite the direction they're going for in this since it hews to DS and DE in terms of combat from what I've seen, overall.

It probably doesn’t make sense in this game, but the rally mechanic is good. I’d like to see it pop up in other games, as the default or an equipped option. I think it would probably fit handily into every beat ‘em up.

Prohass wrote: »
    Why does the player character still look so weird in this. I thought it was a symptom of a small dev team in previous souls games, but is it intentional? Like no matter what you do with the sliders it’s impossible to make a player character that looks up to the standards of modern games.

I’d imagine they don’t really care too much

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Dank souls you’re usually head to toe in armour anyway.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Have we seen the sliders yet?

edited November 2021
    No but someone posted a pic of of the bloody wolf build helmetless and it looks... fine? Not particularly any better or worse than any other custom protagonist mug?

Spoilered of course, but no spoilers within
    dhb8rzi2b21l.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Yeah, the faces look fine.

I am, however, going to go full Monster Factory on mine, as is tradition.

Cruor wrote: »

No-look 64 Random presses?

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

No-look 64 Random presses?

With some tweaks afterwards for flavor.

edited November 2021
    The rally thing is just a wholly unnatural mechanic to me. Getting hit is a universal sign to back off, not push harder and risk getting hit again before you've recovered. And yeah, I know they wanted to dissuade people from playing too conservatively, but it doesn't change the fact that basic human instinct is get away and collect yourself if you get hit by something.

On the flip side, going after more enemies to get more health makes a shitload more sense. You play well, you get bonus health. You do badly, you lose net health or die. And you can play your way to get the bonus rather than being forced to rush down an enemy.

I'm not sure I agree necessarily. It can be human instinct to back off when you get hit, but it can also be instinct to go harder to take out whatever is a threat to you before it can do it again. Especially in the context of a half mad killer hopped up on beast-blood, or similar sorts of altered mindstates that would err towards violence. And inasmuch as it goes against ones instinct as a player, if that's how you mean, while I can see that certainly some people do tend to go for the "Hit back faster" method regardless, and it's a different way to approach combat. Both have their merits, but I just love swinging through the pain and the damage and getting your own back, literally.

In regards to character customization, I plan on seeing what happens if I tweak the sliders to as near as possible to where they are for my BB/Souls character and either work from there, or try and hew as close to it as possible from first principles. Cartha will live again!

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    DD2 hasn't even been announced yet, has it?

It could also easily be shelved again with no notice because they're not gonna acknowledge the leak. Don't assume DD2 is gonna happen.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I just today learned that this is going to be available on PS4. I thought it was next/current-gen only. I am now way less frustrated about the difficulty of getting a PS5.

jimb213 wrote: »
    I just today learned that this is going to be available on PS4. I thought it was next/current-gen only. I am now way less frustrated about the difficulty of getting a PS5.

Yeah, from started dev on this with the PS4/XBone era in mind and the only concessions they've made to new gen hardware is HDR and raytracing, which is fine with me and likely won't result in a CDPR CP2077 boondoggle.

There's people on Reddit throwing around speculation, all in good fun. I'll spoiler it but it's obviously not a spoiler, but if someones going in with zero radio noise then there IS some light discussion on lore, plus spoilers for an OLD ass From game
    There's a lot of things referencing "that which commanded the stars." I.E. the Elden Ring. One person tossed out the idea that Elden Ring is actually going to end up with a Bloodborne-ish twist to it, but instead of Lovecraftian Horror we are going to end up in a sci fi story.

"But JRX", you counter, "From has done nothing of the sort! What makes you think they would?"

Behold, in Kings Field, where you fight Kalameet while in the MCP from Tron

t2cuyucsrqgn.png

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    There's people on Reddit throwing around speculation, all in good fun. I'll spoiler it but it's obviously not a spoiler, but if someones going in with zero radio noise then there IS some light discussion on lore, plus spoilers for an OLD ass From game
    There's a lot of things referencing "that which commanded the stars." I.E. the Elden Ring. One person tossed out the idea that Elden Ring is actually going to end up with a Bloodborne-ish twist to it, but instead of Lovecraftian Horror we are going to end up in a sci fi story.

"But JRX", you counter, "From has done nothing of the sort! What makes you think they would?"

Behold, in Kings Field, where you fight Kalameet while in the MCP from Tron

t2cuyucsrqgn.png

you're in the know, right?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Did somebody say FromSoft and Sci fi!?

ite0w77zdw20.png

(okay so it has nothing to do with anything but I need to keep the memory of Armored Core alive dammit)

This discussion has been closed.