As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    There's people on Reddit throwing around speculation, all in good fun. I'll spoiler it but it's obviously not a spoiler, but if someones going in with zero radio noise then there IS some light discussion on lore, plus spoilers for an OLD ass From game
    There's a lot of things referencing "that which commanded the stars." I.E. the Elden Ring. One person tossed out the idea that Elden Ring is actually going to end up with a Bloodborne-ish twist to it, but instead of Lovecraftian Horror we are going to end up in a sci fi story.

"But JRX", you counter, "From has done nothing of the sort! What makes you think they would?"

Behold, in Kings Field, where you fight Kalameet while in the MCP from Tron

t2cuyucsrqgn.png

you're in the know, right?

I don't think I am, but just to be on the safe side, I'd say I don't want to be?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    There's people on Reddit throwing around speculation, all in good fun. I'll spoiler it but it's obviously not a spoiler, but if someones going in with zero radio noise then there IS some light discussion on lore, plus spoilers for an OLD ass From game
    There's a lot of things referencing "that which commanded the stars." I.E. the Elden Ring. One person tossed out the idea that Elden Ring is actually going to end up with a Bloodborne-ish twist to it, but instead of Lovecraftian Horror we are going to end up in a sci fi story.

"But JRX", you counter, "From has done nothing of the sort! What makes you think they would?"

t2cuyucsrqgn.png

I don't think I am, but just to be on the safe side, I'd say I don't want to be?

you need more eyes on the inside my friend

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

t2cuyucsrqgn.png

you need more eyes on the inside my friend

Maybe.

I'm quite content with some level of ignorance in these instances.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Armored Cores are quite possibly my favorite mecha designs of all time.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    did you know! the pre-AC4 designs were by Shoji Kawamori, a pretty damn legendary anime robot designer

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Did somebody say FromSoft and Sci fi!?

ite0w77zdw20.png

(okay so it has nothing to do with anything but I need to keep the memory of Armored Core alive dammit)

You may think "ha ha, I've got a great funny thing to pull!"

All I'm thinking is "nobody will even ask where I buried the body, only that the deed was done".

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Never played an AC game, but I love its design.
    Wonder if they ever made any builds out of those...

Also, I think they have completely different teams from the Souls devs, though there's probably some crossover, I imagine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Armored Cores are quite possibly my favorite mecha designs of all time.

I feel really guilty that i saw that and went "It's a Zaku Relative!" (...which, let's be fair, the Zaku is a kickass design, and so is that)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Also, I think they have completely different teams from the Souls devs, though there's probably some crossover, I imagine.

Given the last game released in 2008, I'm not sure there is an Armored Core dev team around anymore.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Given the last game released in 2008, I'm not sure there is an Armored Core dev team around anymore.

Supposedly there's a new AC in development, but who knows how far they actually are along or if it fizzled out in pre-development and/or covid

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Did somebody say FromSoft and Sci fi!?

ite0w77zdw20.png

(okay so it has nothing to do with anything but I need to keep the memory of Armored Core alive dammit)

The Surge and The Surge 2 are sci-fi soulslikes.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So this is where I learn my frustrations and misery over a cool action rpg on PlayStation 1 we’re brought to me by the same company that brought me frustrations and misery over cool action rigs on ps3,4 and soon to be Xbox series x

Did not realize kings field abs dark souls were the same company

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    miyazaki actually got his start at From working on the armored core games
    or at least his start in the game dev side, I think he actually got his start on the business/accounting side of things there

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

AC:V was 2012 and AC:VC 2013, but many don't talk about it. Kind of a low point it seems.

I think I enjoyed it somewhat, but I honestly barely remember it.

I love Armored Core, but if I am to be honest I think I wouldn't want a new one if it is just more of the same. I sorta feel like a nice fresh take on it would be well received. What that would look like I've no clue, but I have confidence that From could pull it off.

A few years back SE poached a number of the AC Devs and they produced nothing of value. I was hoping like hell they would put them to work on a new Front Mission.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Some of the AC devs also left to start their own studio and made that switch game Daemon X Machina, which clearly had a lot of inspiration from armored core but went for an even more anime take on it. Sadly I don't think it really scratched the AC itch.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "It's an ANIMATION, not a weapon art" is so fucking funny

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    So many people misunderstanding the 8 hour remark too is just… it’s YouTube levels of stupid. So, spot on, I guess.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This is about what I expect from Twitter. At the same time did this person not make it clear it’s not the full game?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This is about what I expect from Twitter. At the same time did this person not make it clear it’s not the full game?

It's said multiple times that it's limited content/only the starting area/etc.

• Options
  • Options
    So classic twitter then

• Options
    So classic twitter then

Youtuber comments, not twitter. The typical twitter was the guy in the comments saying he finished DS3 in 6 hours first time, and the DLC's only take him 20 minutes total for both.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    geez guy, choose a more plausible lie next time

• Options
    What is Twitter if not The Internet's Comment Section.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    What is Twitter if not The Internet's Comment Section.

The internets sewage runoff.

• Options
    So classic twitter then

Youtuber comments, not twitter. The typical twitter was the guy in the comments saying he finished DS3 in 6 hours first time, and the DLC's only take him 20 minutes total for both.

20 minutes in Ringed City wouldn’t even get you to the first boss lol

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular

Supposedly there's a new AC in development, but who knows how far they actually are along or if it fizzled out in pre-development and/or covid
    While story presentation is hardly the same, Daemon X Machina was created by From alumni who got tired of not making Armored Core. Also plays just like one. I was satisfied with it as an Armored Core fix.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
  • Options

As long as there isn't a boss battle where I swing a gigantic sword overhead and somehow, do not connect with a massive dragon right above me, it should be all good.

But that is really good!

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m intrigued by the general look of the world, a world that actually seems to be getting along fine if not for the evil knights and occasional monster.

Like, Demon’s’s Souls land was cursed in the most traditional sense, shrouded in fog. Dark Souls land started ruined and got worse until it collapsed in on itself by 3. Bloodborne was a European city, so naturally pretty cursed, and then aliens were called in.

Here the world looks alive, with healthy looking giant, divine, golden trees. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a mid-point reveal or something. This honestly looks not unlike your average D&D adjacent game world.

Also, I’m glad to see Manus lives on once again, this time in Margit. While the Cleric Beast and Demon of Hatred lent more into the big arm beast side, this guy leans into his sorcerer side.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Ehh, nothing about the lore tidbits and everything else indicates a world that's doing fine. It's a world that's pretty fucked up and rotten, it's just... shinier than Dark Souls/Bloodborne. But the actual world seems to be every bit as fucked

• Options
    Ehh, nothing about the lore tidbits and everything else indicates a world that's doing fine. It's a world that's pretty fucked up and rotten, it's just... shinier than Dark Souls/Bloodborne. But the actual world seems to be every bit as fucked

I guess it’s just more nebulous than ever. Oh, a ring broke? Cool.

I think the inclusion of wildlife and a lot more flora makes it seem like the problem is squarely with the people, and less of a world thing. To me, at least.

• Options

I guess it’s just more nebulous than ever. Oh, a ring broke? Cool.

I think the inclusion of wildlife and a lot more flora makes it seem like the problem is squarely with the people, and less of a world thing. To me, at least.

Quoting the lore:

"The Golden Order has been broken.

Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between.

In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

And become the Elden Lord."

Literally mad god war as a backdrop to things! And i think we've seen one of the lords already - Mr Cuts arms of and welds them to himself, which is a very sane and practical approach to life with zero issues.

Even the wild life we're seeing in the preview is pretty fucked up (spoilers just incase!) -
    Murder flying jellyfish, SUPER BEAR, which is implied to have eaten a fucking dragon, Werid Snake Rocks, Demi-humans, the enslaved trolls

To me it gives the impression that it's like seeing a beautiful apple, only to pick it up and reveal the rot and maggots inside.

• Options
    Miyazaki is a big fan of, uh, I guess you could say “Corrupted Glory”. Stuff that is hideous and warped, but you can still kinda tell was once beautiful.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Miyazaki is a big fan of, uh, I guess you could say “Corrupted Glory”. Stuff that is hideous and warped, but you can still kinda tell was once beautiful.

Not just corrupted glory. Fair share of amazing chests ahead if you know what I mean.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Yeah I mean I know it’s exactly Dark Souls, but this first look has left me intrigued for how messed up it’s going to get.

Like they’re taking a bigger run up.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Someone found an older world map and marked where the network test was in there.

https://i.redd.it/k2cydkh1bc081.png

Gonna be fun exploring this bad boy.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I wonder if there are any islands or water content. I don't want to fight in From's version of the ocean, but I'm curious if there's stuff hidden out there.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Not just corrupted glory. Fair share of amazing chests ahead if you know what I mean.

horse but hole

This discussion has been closed.