As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Getting Got

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Getting Got

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I never got that thing about bread. How do they "get you" if you fill up on breadsticks? Unless it's a buffet, I guess. But if individual dishes are billed separetely and breadsticks are free, hell yeah I'm gonna nom on dem sticks, I'm poor.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I never got that thing about bread. How do they "get you" if you fill up on breadsticks? Unless it's a buffet, I guess. But if individual dishes are billed separetely and breadsticks are free, hell yeah I'm gonna nom on dem sticks, I'm poor.

So you are hungry, order your food and then you gorge yourself on breadsticks. Now the actual food arrives and you're just too full to eat all of it. So you "got got", because you could have ordered less food if you have gauged correctly how much food you could actually consume.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

So you are hungry, order your food and then you gorge yourself on breadsticks. Now the actual food arrives and you're just too full to eat all of it. So you "got got", because you could have ordered less food if you have gauged correctly how much food you could actually consume.

Obviously I'm going to order less food, probably whatever is the cheapest option. I just don't understand how the restaurant benefits from me filling up on bread.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Obviously I'm going to order less food, probably whatever is the cheapest option. I just don't understand how the restaurant benefits from me filling up on bread.

I think it's more of the, "going out to get a good meal, then just eating bread" thing.

One would hope the full game is way more feature rich and fun than the beta, right? Gabe won't really know because the beta was enough to make him not feel any desire to play the main game. Just like you would hope the main course you ordered is a much more filling meal that just some garlic flavored bread, right?

• Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    Why are people still preordering in this day and age? It's a scam. It's always a scam.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    ironhead wrote: »
    Why are people still preordering in this day and age? It's a scam. It's always a scam.

Because he was impatient and wanted to play the beta right then. How is anyone surprised that money can be made from impatience in this day and age?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Hell, at least it wasn't Outriders.

The demo was an entirely different build than the release, PCF definitely pulled a sneaky on everyone.

sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    You shouldn't clean your gutters while it is dark and raining.

Cleaning your gutter is something to do when it is sunny out, and even then it's a dangerous activity.

• Options
    Jgr9Jgr9 Registered User regular
    That's the joke.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    zepherin wrote: »

Cleaning your gutter is something to do when it is sunny out, and even then it's a dangerous activity.

And if you miss that one day in the fall after the leaves are all down and it's not raining in the Pacific Northwest?

Next you're going to be telling me I shouldn't clean out my gutters in 50 degree weather with snow on the roof in Minnesota.

dennis on
  • Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    I don't buy into those scams anymore, if they can't put out a free demo, the game can wait till reviews come in to get my money. and there will always be someone online who played it and i can watch them.

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Couldn't he just cancel his preorder?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I got to play the beta free because of gamepass I think? Anyway saved me the money since I was like "yep this sure is a battlefield."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    oh3fiftyoneoh3fiftyone Registered User regular

I think it’s a callback to a joke Ryan Hartman makes in C Team. It’s something dumb people say when they think they’ve outsmarted the restaurant industry. I don’t really get it in the context of this comic, though.

• Options
    I don’t really get it in the context of this comic, though.

I think that part's actually pretty simple: he already ordered his $60 meal (pre-ordered) and then he ate some breadsticks (played the beta) and was filled up thereby (didn't want to play the actual game). The analogy sort of stumbles because obviously the bread isn't the same as the spaghetti al nero de seppia he ordered, but the connection is there.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    For me, it's more like you fill up on breadsticks they gave you while they were cooking your food, and you wind up not enjoying the experience of dining out. You take the stuff home, where it's never quite as good as fresh when reheated. And the restaurant gets you out the door quicker so it can put another paying customer at the table.

dennis on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    For me, it's more like you fill up on breadsticks they gave you while you were cooking your food, and you wind up not enjoying the experience of dining out. You take the stuff home, where it's never quite as good as fresh when reheated. And the restaurant gets you out the door quicker so it can put another paying customer at the table.

Yeah I don't see what's confusing here for peeps.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

I think it’s a callback to a joke Ryan Hartman makes in C Team. It’s something dumb people say when they think they’ve outsmarted the restaurant industry. I don’t really get it in the context of this comic, though.

It's way older than that. I can't remember who, but there was a stand-up comic who did a bit about his dad being obsessed with that kind of thing back in the 80's or 90's.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    "Why are people still preordering in this day and age? It's a scam. It's always a scam."

Not always. Sometimes there's discounts for preordering that make it worth it. Like I preordered pokemon diamond and pearl remakes and arceus and got them for $24 off each. And or addons/dlc only for preorders though the worth of which varies from person to person.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Wait.... 2042? I thought this was going to be a cool 2142 remake - the only good Battlefield game.

Interest levels at zero.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    The question baking my noodle is; "why is there a bone in your gutter?"

• Options

Because it's very on-brand.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    "Why are people still preordering in this day and age? It's a scam. It's always a scam."

Not always. Sometimes there's discounts for preordering that make it worth it. Like I preordered pokemon diamond and pearl remakes and arceus and got them for $24 off each. And or addons/dlc only for preorders though the worth of which varies from person to person.

It's also a way to buy fan cred. An intangible thing for sure, but still real. It's an easy way to prove your a more dedicated fan than those chuds who wait and see if a game is good. You? You bought a $250 collectors edition with a book you will never read and special case that doesn't fit on your shelf properly. I think it's pretty clear who cares more about Gun Men.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

One of the podcasts mentioned that Mike's neighbour found a jawbone in their garden

So I guess the house is on a flight path for an eagle / condor / deep crow

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

And if you miss that one day in the fall after the leaves are all down and it's not raining in the Pacific Northwest?

Next you're going to be telling me I shouldn't clean out my gutters in 50 degree weather with snow on the roof in Minnesota.
    …Yes. You probably shouldn’t, but the folks I know who live in Minnesota have gutter guards. I don’t know if those are popular in Seattle.

• Options
    edited November 2021

…Yes. You probably shouldn’t, but the folks I know who live in Minnesota have gutter guards. I don’t know if those are popular in Seattle.

Gutter guards are highly overrated. They're not the panacea you might think they are. For example, I had to clean the tree gunk off mine just this afternoon. It basically breaks down into a slightly chunky dirt which sits on top of the screen. Also, having a metal roof I need to blow the leaves out of the channel on the north side, otherwise, the water doesn't drain properly.

It's all a total pain in the gutter.

dennis on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Gutter guards are highly overrated. They're not the panacea you might think they are. For example, I had to clean the tree gunk off mine just this afternoon. It basically breaks down into a slightly chunky dirt which sits on top of the screen. Also, having a metal roof I need to blow the leaves out of the channel on the north side, otherwise, the water doesn't drain properly.

Low pitch metal roofs are a bit of a pain in the ass in that regard. Although if I could (HOA), I would have gone with a metal roof as opposed to the shingle roof I had put on. They look good, sound great and last forever.

I do know that gutter guards aren't 100%, but I have a tool I can use from the ground to scrape the crud off my gutter guard, that wouldn't be practical for cleaning out the gutter.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Low pitch metal roofs are a bit of a pain in the ass in that regard. Although if I could (HOA), I would have gone with a metal roof as opposed to the shingle roof I had put on. They look good, sound great and last forever.

I do know that gutter guards aren't 100%, but I have a tool I can use from the ground to scrape the crud off my gutter guard, that wouldn't be practical for cleaning out the gutter.

They have tools for cleaning out regular gutters from the ground as well. At this point, I'm highly tempted to just rip off my guards and use this instead.

dennis on