As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Figured out why some of my mods weren't working! Apparently in addition to enabling them in the mods list in Vortex, I also need to enable them in the plugins list. Though half of them were already enabled in there so who knows what's up with that.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think I can finally recommend OpenMW for general use, massive graphic improvements just dropped:

https://youtu.be/_9sUhduT-K4

here I am taking a bug ride from Seyda Neen to Gnisis, with Tamriel Rebuilt in the distance to the west.

mukc709pgg6s.jpg
    5jhxvn5zc4lz.png

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Man, that lighting update is great.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about taking another shot at Morrowind. Maybe this is a sign.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I never did play Tamriel Rebuilt; maybe I should give it a shot.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Well it looks like the inevitable has happened. Microsoft officially announced today that ES6 will be PC and Xbox exclusive. So that means, for all intents and purposes, Bethesda is exclusively an Xbox and PC dev. Fucking sucks but by the time it comes out I bet I can get a series x for under 200.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Are we sure ES6 isn't a Series Y game?

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Of course it's not an Xbox Series Y game.

It's an Xbox Series 360 X One game.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Xbox Twox

MechMantis wrote: »

Isn't that just most of the backcompat library?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    XBox Dos Equis

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Isn't that just most of the backcompat library?

No, the name for the backwards compatability library for the Xbox Series 360 X One is, obviously, the OneX360 Collection.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    furlion wrote: »
    Well it looks like the inevitable has happened. Microsoft officially announced today that ES6 will be PC and Xbox exclusive. So that means, for all intents and purposes, Bethesda is exclusively an Xbox and PC dev. Fucking sucks but by the time it comes out I bet I can get a series x for under 200.

As you said, this was inevitable, and frankly pretty obvious coming (cue a thousand voices asking, "Wait, Starfield isn't coming to the Playstation 5, Switch, and WiiU?").

As for when, yes, it might only end up coming out by the time of the New Microsoft Xbox Series 2XXL™. We know not the moment, after all.

Synthesis on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    As a member of the "PC master race," this doesn't really impact me at all. But what are the odds that they eventually relent and we see a PS5/6 version the same way Horizon: ZD and God of War have both come to PC?

Terrendos wrote: »
    As a member of the "PC master race," this doesn't really impact me at all. But what are the odds that they eventually relent and we see a PS5/6 version the same way Horizon: ZD and God of War have both come to PC?

Very low.

I'm not going to say 'never'. I also won't say, "We'll never see Horizon Zero Dawn (not the sequel, mind you) get a re-release on Xbox." Mostly because people said almost exactly that about Hellblade coming to Xbox years ago, and that seems pretty funny in retrospect. There are exceptional cases. The Horizon franchise is probably not one of them. The next Bayonetta is probably not one of them. Frankly, Elder Scrolls VI is probably not one of them, or is Starfield.

Part of that is the fact that Sony titles coming to PC isn't really the equivalent of Microsoft publishing games on Playstation. More Sony games seem to be coming to PC, even if Sony doesn't necessarily like to advertise the fact. Of the last thirty games Xbox Game Studios published, two of them came to Playstation 4--Minecraft Dungeons and Psychonauts 2 (or maybe 3, with A Bard's Tale), the later of which was in development hell so long it was announced for Playstation even before Microsoft acquired it. Neither game is getting a PS5 update, to my knowledge, though you can play them on PS5, so that distinction matters less. .

So the evidence suggests, "very low" even before Microsoft saying "No." But there is an extremely high, practically guaranteed, chance that they're going to be released on PC; in fact, that's basically as certain as "the Elder Scrolls VI is getting released at all."

But they are going to relent? No. I'd put money on it, but who would bet against basically a sure thing?

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I don't really mind console exclusives that much, I mean look at almost the entire Nintendo platform, but I do hate to see previously multiplatform games/series be tied down. Then again I can't complain too much I suppose, I went with a PS4 instead of an Xbone and for me the exclusives where night and day. I guess Microsoft is probably owed at least one or two exclusives I would actually play.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I don't really mind console exclusives that much, I mean look at almost the entire Nintendo platform, but I do hate to see previously multiplatform games/series be tied down. Then again I can't complain too much I suppose, I went with a PS4 instead of an Xbone and for me the exclusives where night and day. I guess Microsoft is probably owed at least one or two exclusives I would actually play.

My hope is that ES6, with Microsoft-level funding behind it, will be polished to such a degree that we'll wonder why we ever put up with its janky predecessors.

If they can accomplish that, then I'll certainly feel like ES6 is the beginning of an entirely new series and not just another entry in a long running, formally multiplatform series that is now exclusive-locked.

edited November 2021

My hope is that ES6, with Microsoft-level funding behind it, will be polished to such a degree that we'll wonder why we ever put up with its janky predecessors.

If they can accomplish that, then I'll certainly feel like ES6 is the beginning of an entirely new series and not just another entry in a long running, formally multiplatform series that is now exclusive-locked.

In the scarce handful of acquisitions Microsoft has made that have produced sequels or follow ups, the level of polish has been, generally, much higher. The modern console versions of Minecraft, aside from, you know, also working on phones and shit, are well-oiled machines compared to the Java version given the much more limited hardware, but they are inherently closed and heavily redesigned around DirectX, so no surprise (this is not saying they are better, but they are much more polished). Psychonauts 2 is exponentially more polished than the original Psychonauts, even considering the decade that has passed and the move to UE, and that has a much to do with the large stacks of cash Microsoft poured into it. Even things like Halo: Reach, eventually, became much less buggy then the original release from Bungie (it just happens that people were much more likely to overlook a buggy Halo title), on top of the general franchise move towards a consistent 60 FPS with dynamic resolution. There isn't really that much of a distinction from when Microsoft oversaw Asobo's development on PC, but the console release of Flight Simulator is a fucking technological marvel (and those performance increases have been rolled over to PC, thankfully).

On the other hand, Hellblade II looks like it's going to be exponentially larger than Shenua's Sacrifice, originally a fairly small if artistically enchanting game. So that's going to be a hard comparison to make under any circumstance.

Also, it's Bethesda. So to quote myself from back in the acquisition...
    Synthesis wrote: »
    To quote another, maybe they'll actually have the money for proper Q&A now hooooooooo.....

I'd expect it to run very well on Xbox hardware. But I'll be on PC, modding the shit out of it, so I'll never see that (and in fact, you can mod the games on Xbox as well already).

Synthesis on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

In the scarce handful of acquisitions Microsoft has made that have produced sequels or follow ups, the level of polish has been, generally, much higher. The modern console versions of Minecraft, aside from, you know, also working on phones and shit, are well-oiled machines compared to the Java version given the much more limited hardware, but they are inherently closed and heavily redesigned around DirectX, so no surprise (this is not saying they are better, but they are much more polished). Psychonauts 2 is exponentially more polished than the original Psychonauts, even considering the decade that has passed and the move to UE, and that has a much to do with the large stacks of cash Microsoft poured into it. Even things like Halo: Reach, eventually, became much less buggy then the original release from Bungie (it just happens that people were much more likely to overlook a buggy Halo title), on top of the general franchise move towards a consistent 60 FPS with dynamic resolution. There isn't really that much of a distinction from when Microsoft oversaw Asobo's development on PC, but the console release of Flight Simulator is a fucking technological marvel (and those performance increases have been rolled over to PC, thankfully).

On the other hand, Hellblade II looks like it's going to be exponentially larger than Shenua's Sacrifice, originally a fairly small if artistically enchanting game. So that's going to be a hard comparison to make under any circumstance.

Also, it's Bethesda. So to quote myself from back in the acquisition...
    To quote another, maybe they'll actually have the money for proper Q&A now hooooooooo.....

I'd expect it to run very well on Xbox hardware. But I'll be on PC, modding the shit out of it, so I'll never see that (and in fact, you can mod the games on Xbox as well already).

I have also heard that the executives at Zenimax were notoriously stingy with budgets, even for their most popular franchises. So I'm expecting the level of improvement to be considerable, even compared to those other examples you mentioned above.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    My God, maybe they’ll even get a new engine!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Microsoft could make it happen, finally.

Will they, though?

Axen wrote: »
    My God, maybe they’ll even get a new engine!

I think that's the easy part.

The hard part is preventing Bethesda from using a new engine as justification for the buggiest game they've ever released to market.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I think I can finally recommend OpenMW for general use, massive graphic improvements just dropped:

https://youtu.be/_9sUhduT-K4

here I am taking a bug ride from Seyda Neen to Gnisis, with Tamriel Rebuilt in the distance to the west.

mukc709pgg6s.jpg
    5jhxvn5zc4lz.png

So is this generally preferred as the ideal way now to play morrowind? Or are these simply graphical upgrades? I've been wanting to get into for awhile being a big skyrim and even bigger oblivion fan.

Steam: offday
    Doesn't OpenMW need its own mods? That's probably the biggest strike against it. If you want to go too far out of vanilla, you might be limited on options.

In my experience the majority of Morrowind mods work on OpenMW, and you install and use them just as you would in vanilla Morrowind.

There's also an alternative way of installing/organizing mods on OpenMW where everything gets its own subfolder so nothing ever gets overwritten by anything else, which I'm guessing makes it safer to add and remove mods, but I haven't tried that yet.

Now that OpenMW has leapfrogged the Morrowind Graphics Extender in terms of graphics and performance, I'd say it's probably the best way to play Morrowind. Previously it was just a good way to play Morrowind on Linux or your Android phone.

edited November 2021
    Here are some example mod lists:

https://modding-openmw.com/lists/

It looks like you can use Mod Organizer 2 with an OpenMW plugin:

https://modding-openmw.com/getting-started/managing-mods/

In the pics above I was using Abot's scenic travel mods, where the mod author says they don't use OpenMW and don't know if their mods will work, but they work fine.

august on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm actually super excited to try out openmw again on my linux box.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

In the pics above I was using Abot's scenic travel mods, where the mod author says they don't use OpenMW and don't know if their mods will work, but they work fine.

I've never played Morrowind before (okay that's a lie; I played it when it first came out but I'm sure I never made it out of the starting area, not because the game was boring, but because there was so much to do. . .all while jumping everywhere) and was looking at mods and stumbled on this website as well. However, as good as that Total Overhaul looks, is there really no way to autoimport something into something so that all those mods just download automatically (even if it is at the slow download speed of Nexusmods)?

EDIT: After much searching it looks like there's no way to automate this process and there doesn't seem be anyone filehosting a bespoke mod setup. I reached #60 in that Total Overhaul list and have now just said "Fuck it, I'll just play Skyrim Anniversary Edition."

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

I've never played Morrowind before (okay that's a lie; I played it when it first came out but I'm sure I never made it out of the starting area, not because the game was boring, but because there was so much to do. . .all while jumping everywhere) and was looking at mods and stumbled on this website as well. However, as good as that Total Overhaul looks, is there really no way to autoimport something into something so that all those mods just download automatically (even if it is at the slow download speed of Nexusmods)?

EDIT: After much searching it looks like there's no way to automate this process and there doesn't seem be anyone filehosting a bespoke mod setup. I reached #60 in that Total Overhaul list and have now just said "Fuck it, I'll just play Skyrim Anniversary Edition."

I'm playing Skyrim AE and it's got its hooks into me bad. Level 25 and I'm just off to the mountain to meet the shouty people.

I've not played it since the Xbox 360 and I'd forgotten how easily I'm distracted by new towers and caves popping up, or finding notes that unlock quests, etc, etc.

Lydia is still annoying, so that's another thing that hasn't changed.

edited November 2021
    There have been modpacks over the years, but I think the fact that mod authors don't appreciate their mods getting subsumed into megapacks, plus the fact that the Nexus makes its money off clicks, means that modpacks like that probably don't really exist anymore.

Personally, I have a lot of nostalgia for the original so I'm playing a relatively vanilla version of the game, and the full Total Overhaul kind of looks like an abomination to me. I don't know what combination of ancient aesthetics and mechanics might make someone new nope out of regular-ass Morrowind though. I'm basically running:
    • the various bug patches and performance enhancing mods that are listed at the beginning of those guides
    • Graphic Herbalism, because mushrooms in the world being containers that contain mushrooms is dumb.
    • The Run Fast mod, which is an ancient hackey mod that increases player speed, but also increases the speed of all npcs, which I find to be worth it.
    • One of the many ai upscaled texture mods, but not better bodies/heads or any other mod that replaces in game models.
    • Abot's Silt Striders and Abot's Boats, which are scenic travel mods that go perfectly with the new draw distance enhancements.
    • Tamriel Rebuilt and its sister mods Skyrim Home of the Nords and Province: Cyrodiil which basically triple the landmass of the base game and give me something to do when I'm done doing the vanilla game stuff I want to do

and that's pretty much it. So I haven't spent a ton of time installing mods, because I know how that rabbit hole goes and want to play the game instead of spending ten hours installing mods and still not being quite satisfied.

edit: also, if anyone is having any problems with OpenMW there's an OpenMW discord which is probably where you can get help the fastest.

august on
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I'm playing Skyrim AE and it's got its hooks into me bad. Level 25 and I'm just off to the mountain to meet the shouty people.

I've not played it since the Xbox 360 and I'd forgotten how easily I'm distracted by new towers and caves popping up, or finding notes that unlock quests, etc, etc.

Lydia is still annoying, so that's another thing that hasn't changed.

I was looking to give a fresh ES game a start, as I've restarted in Skyrim sooooo many times (and have only ever gotten as far as the secret Blades member in the main quest) that everytime I get back into the game.

. . .that said, I've NEVER touched any of the DLC of the game (I THINK I got the Dawnstar invite but that's it) so there's definitely stuff to look forward to. Honestly I think I've only ever finished Fallout 3 and given how distracted I get in Bethesda games I'm not sure how.

There have been modpacks over the years, but I think the fact that mod authors don't appreciate their mods getting subsumed into megapacks, plus the fact that the Nexus makes its money off clicks, means that modpacks like that probably don't really exist anymore.

Personally, I have a lot of nostalgia for the original so I'm playing a relatively vanilla version of the game, and the full Total Overhaul kind of looks like an abomination to me. I don't know what combination of ancient aesthetics and mechanics might make someone new nope out of regular-ass Morrowind though. I'm basically running:
    • the various bug patches and performance enhancing mods that are listed at the beginning of those guides
    • Graphic Herbalism, because mushrooms in the world being containers that contain mushrooms is dumb.
    • The Run Fast mod, which is an ancient hackey mod that increases player speed, but also increases the speed of all npcs, which I find to be worth it.
    • One of the many ai upscaled texture mods, but not better bodies/heads or any other mod that replaces in game models.
    • Abot's Silt Striders and Abot's Boats, which are scenic travel mods that go perfectly with the new draw distance enhancements.
    • Tamriel Rebuilt and its sister mods Skyrim Home of the Nords and Province: Cyrodiil which basically triple the landmass of the base game and give me something to do when I'm done doing the vanilla game stuff I want to do

and that's pretty much it. So I haven't spent a ton of time installing mods, because I know how that rabbit hole goes and want to play the game instead of spending ten hours installing mods and still not being quite satisfied.

edit: also, if anyone is having any problems with OpenMW there's an OpenMW discord which is probably where you can get help the fastest.

I saw that OpenMW was meant to look better period but didn't know it had graphical updates built in. On Modding-OpenMW, they have a video of a tricked out Morrowind and that was what I wanted to play, but if the game looks and runs well with just a few mods including Tamriel I'll probably just look into that then.

@ED! OpenMW is basically a new engine that now (I think) replicates on or improves everything the Morrowind Graphics Extender can do (distant lands, better lighting, etc) out of the box. Before deciding what art assets you might want to go to the trouble to replace I'd load up the base game in OpenMW; check out all the graphics setting in the launcher (Distant Lands in the Advanced Tab and you'll want to tick the Object Paging box for the best performance. Also I set my Cells to about 10) and also check out the settings in the in-game menu and see how it looks to you.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Holy crap there is a lot of neat stuff in Anniversary addition.

Apparently there’s a complete set of gauntlets and combat staffs, and ALL the armor sets from blades.

I’m probably going to wait for an update to the creation club unofficial patch and armor integration mods to rrally play much with it, but it still is pretty neat.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh shit, the AE upgrade has brought Skyrim up to a full-on PS5 version and now I have to start over with zero trophies.

I'm both furious and glad, cause I know I'm going to plow into it with all the Creation Club approved stuff on and chase the platinum again.

Found out my dad had to take my mom to the hospital this evening (not COVID, at least), so wandering through a fast loading, sweet looking Skyrim is just the kinda distraction I need.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

Apparently there’s a complete set of gauntlets and combat staffs, and ALL the armor sets from blades.

I’m probably going to wait for an update to the creation club unofficial patch and armor integration mods to rrally play much with it, but it still is pretty neat.

As far as I can tell so far, all of the alternate armors can be crafted, bought, and found as loot. Also, there's a quest for each types that gets you a full set.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

As far as I can tell so far, all of the alternate armors can be crafted, bought, and found as loot. Also, there's a quest for each types that gets you a full set.

Are these the new faction armours from the new quest ?

If so, I love the gold heavy amour - if for no other reason I can now recognise Lydia in a fight...

I still have a special chunk of Amber I need to do something with...

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    McHoger wrote: »

Are these the new faction armours from the new quest ?

If so, I love the gold heavy amour - if for no other reason I can now recognise Lydia in a fight...

I still have a special chunk of Amber I need to do something with...

No these are the alternate armor sets from Blades. Like the Scout set, Steel Soldier, etc.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Hasn't been updated for the new stuff yet (but they're planning on it, I believe), but there's a mod on nexus that ties all the alternative armor series into a single questline:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/52647

@ED! OpenMW is basically a new engine that now (I think) replicates on or improves everything the Morrowind Graphics Extender can do (distant lands, better lighting, etc) out of the box. Before deciding what art assets you might want to go to the trouble to replace I'd load up the base game in OpenMW; check out all the graphics setting in the launcher (Distant Lands in the Advanced Tab and you'll want to tick the Object Paging box for the best performance. Also I set my Cells to about 10) and also check out the settings in the in-game menu and see how it looks to you.

Yeah I just said to hell with it and removed all the mods I had downloaded and went with the base OpenMW and a few things I knew would run (Tamriel, some patches and the body mods). Game looks and runs fine and not having to worry about my save file breaking because I uninstall and come back to the game is great.

. . .I will say I'm shocked to not have a mod that replicates the XBOX UI (playing this from a couch) or that controller support never got patched into the PC version. Who knows, maybe in a few years when I'm through a quarter of this game the inevitable MS mandated remaster will address this (because that has to be on the table).

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Welp, I've been hit by the black screen bug and it's as far back in auto/quicksaves as the game hangs on to, so I guess I'm taking a break until a fix turns up.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt