As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Was listening to the Around The NFL podcast, and one of the hosts stated that apparently only five teams are more than one game out of the playoffs at this point.

Texans, Jets, Jags and Dolphins in the AFC.

Only the Lions in the NFC.

That's pretty wild, at the halfway point. Speaks to a lot of mediocrity and the addition of the seventh playoff spot.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The AFC North sucks shit now

Ravens embarrassed by the Dolphins
    Steelers tie the Lions
    Browns fully exposed by the Patriots

Their only victory was the Bengals vs Bye

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    I'll admit I was open to the reclamation project so long at the franchise didn't lose to much over it, but this experiment needs to end and end now. He is broken and cannot be fixed.

Who's the backup though?

That's the problem with the NFL, there's at most, 40 non-crap QB's. Meaning when you get to your backup, everything else in your franchise has to work perfectly if you're going to win an average game.

Most backup QB's are just a net drag on their team.

Which is fine because the team needs to tank. They need a new quarterback and they need to not give Philly a first-round pick in the next draft from Wentz taking 75% of the team's snaps. If somehow enough teams imploded to let Indy stumble into the playoffs, they would for sure lose in the opening round due to having the worst quarterback playing in the postseason.

If they don't bench him now, they need to bench him before week 11 to make damn sure he doesn't meet the performance criteria of the conditional second-round pick. But I think they should do it earlier and just tank for the best pick possible.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

And all of them are better than Kaep ever was. For some reason.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Didn’t he only want to be a starter though? He should have had that shot, but it’s not the same group.

maraji on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Was listening to the Around The NFL podcast, and one of the hosts stated that apparently only five teams are more than one game out of the playoffs at this point.

Texans, Jets, Jags and Dolphins in the AFC.

Only the Lions in the NFC.

That's pretty wild, at the halfway point. Speaks to a lot of mediocrity and the addition of the seventh playoff spot.

It's been a wild season already. A lot of Super Bowl contenders have had weird losses to the dregs of the league. I'm not sure if that's due to mediocrity, Any Given Sunday ™, or if the league is just that competitive this year.

camo_sig2.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Didn't hear about the Raiders Damon Arnette release until just now.

If you're not aware, Annette was a CB picked in the first round last year seven spots behind Henry Ruggs. Ruggs was their "natural" pick, Arnette was the pick from Chicago as part of the deal for Khalil Mack.

Arnette apparently went on social media and made a directed death threat while holding a gun.

With the Ruggs incident, it definitely feels like Mayock wished upon a monkey's paw "I wish people to stop talking about Gruden!".

The only sure thing right now is the Titans laughing at the gods while never losing again no matter what curses befall them

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »

Didn’t he only want to be a starter though? He should have had that shot, but it’s not the same group.

The point was that teams went out of their way to not sign him when they otherwise would sign an amorphous blob which at some point might have consumed a football.

Seattle had him in for a look to backup Wilson and fans lost their shit. Washington was 'thinking' about it when they ran out of QBs until they declared Kaep wouldn't be a fit in their system which was almost exactly like San Francisco's.

Kaep wanting to start isn't odd. The whole league going out of their way to avoid him when they'll sign some of the worst humans to a roster in an emergency. (Hi there, Tennessee. How is Adrian Peterson working out for you?)

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Interesting Lions factoid: Matt Stafford has the highest QBR so for this season and Jared Goff has the lowest! They even threw in both Miami QBs!

Psn:wazukki
    edited November 2021
    Jared Goff has never won a game as a starter for a coach other than Sean McVay

That’s the best stat ever

Captain Inertia on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Goff just does not look capable of playing QB in the NFL right now. Detroit is going to have to bench him, no question about it anymore. He was convincingly outplayed by Mason Rudolph and Rudolph sucks ass and played like crap. Like, they were running the ball on 3rd and 10, that's how useless Goff was when asked to pass.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Its absolutely infuriating to watch Goff play QB. The guy sucks completely and every time he throws I assume its gonna be an interception.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I can't tell if it's more of an indictment of the Lions defense or late career Rapeape that when it was announced he had covid and Rudolph was starting, the betting line only moved 1/2 a point.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »
    I can't tell if it's more of an indictment of the Lions defense or late career Rapeape that when it was announced he had covid and Rudolph was starting, the betting line only moved 1/2 a point.

Lions defense has been playing decent this year. It at least seems better than when Patricia was there. Their problem is that they can't move the ball on offense because Goff is garbage and he ensures the ball is going to the other team which means the D is gassed constantly.

Goff has a noodle arm

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ObiFett wrote: »

Lions defense has been playing decent this year. It at least seems better than when Patricia was there. Their problem is that they can't move the ball on offense because Goff is garbage and he ensures the ball is going to the other team which means the D is gassed constantly.

Lions D playing better this year , I think because Campbell himself played, and still looks like he could play still.

Compare that to the LARPer from New England, who got defensive with a reporter last year, quipped a, "Do you know who I am!, like response with the , " I executed the greatest Defensive stop in Super Bowl History", as a retort.

As an athlete on the Lions who are you going to respect more? I'm gonna go with the Clump Dog Guy. At least he gives a shit.

It's just that, well, getting the Ram's broken BIONICs toy for Stafford, didn't help matters at all this year.

Ticaldfjam on
    One rough thing is Penei Sewell looks absolutely terrible while Rashawn Slater is mauling dudes, and both Fields and Jones were available at QB and are likely to be far far better than anyone from the 2022 class (or beyond)

edited November 2021
    One rough thing is Penei Sewell looks absolutely terrible while Rashawn Slater is mauling dudes, and both Fields and Jones were available at QB and are likely to be far far better than anyone from the 2022 class (or beyond)

uh, Sewell has been good

This was against TJ Watt most of the game

ObiFett on
    Yeah I saw he was moved to RT this week and had a good game there

I don't think we have a good idea how good any draft class at QB will be anymore. From what I remember, Goff was the toast of well-regarded 2016 class, yet the only viable starter drafted that year is Prescott*. Sports media shat all over the Browns for passing on "Wentzylvania" and now look where he is.

* Prescott was a 4th-round pick and only started as soon as he did because Romo got hurt.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Goff had a disastrous rookie camp that made people report that the Rams had immediate buyer’s remorse, didn’t see the field for the first 10 weeks or so, further adding to that speculation, sucked tremendous ass when he did play the last few games of that season (once it was clear Jeff Fisher was no longer coaching to save his job), and then his first year as a starter was kind of bad but got by because of the new rule that allowed coaches to talk to QBs via headset the first 20 seconds of the play clock, leading to the “Madden McVay” thing

I don't think we have a good idea how good any draft class at QB will be anymore. From what I remember, Goff was the toast of well-regarded 2016 class, yet the only viable starter drafted that year is Prescott*. Sports media shat all over the Browns for passing on "Wentzylvania" and now look where he is.

* Prescott was a 4th-round pick and only started as soon as he did because Romo got hurt.

Goff and Wentz were the consensus 1 and 2 of that draft and the larger community thought it was a severe drop off after them.

Without looking to see if someone good or even great came out that year, I can tell you right now that they would have been labeled a reach if taken in the first round by a team that was desperate

And….because it happened before the Browns got lucky/good at drafting, trading away the pick for Wentz to the Eagles has left them with one player still on the roster- Denzel Ward

The rest of the approximately 12 picks the Browns turned Wentz into are a great list of scrubs and washouts

Goff and Wentz were the consensus 1 and 2 of that draft and the larger community thought it was a severe drop off after them.

Without looking to see if someone good or even great came out that year, I can tell you right now that they would have been labeled a reach if taken in the first round by a team that was desperate

Paxton Lynch at 26 to Denver

Christian Hackenberg was next, then Jacoby Brissett, then Cody Kessler, then Connor Cook, then Dak

…then Cardale Jones, Kevin Hogan, Nate Sudfield, Jake Rudock, Brandon Allen, Jeff Driskell, and finally Brandon Doughty

And….because it happened before the Browns got lucky/good at drafting, trading away the pick for Wentz to the Eagles has left them with one player still on the roster- Denzel Ward

The rest of the approximately 12 picks the Browns turned Wentz into are a great list of scrubs and washouts

They swapped one pick, got three others and the 2017 first-round pick they got was Myles Garret: arguably the best defensive end in the league. It was the right trade for the Browns to make because even if Wentz was decent, the Browns were still many more players away from contention besides QB. I'll defend that decision to the death even if Wentz were a Pro Bowler.

Sometimes a good roster ends up with a high pick and are only a QB away e.g. Atlanta (Ryan) and Indy (Luck), but most of the time it's a consistently shitty team that needs to think about virtually every position and should just get the best value possible with their pick.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah I saw he was moved to RT this week and had a good game there

He played RT in college. It's where he feels the most natural. While it's nice that Slater was able to move to LT right away and have success, it's still probably way too early to grade the draft picks.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    If Dallas doesn't have those injuries, Prescott languishes and gets cut. They probably sign Tom Brady.

ObiFett wrote: »

I've been impressed with how the defense has played with so many folks injured. In that Steelers game alone, they mentioned we had 5 different members of the secondary playing through out the game due to injury.

I'm convinced the "Sewell is bad" thing is just a media/radio talking point. He looks like a solid OT with a bright future, just not a year one Pro Bowl player that people seem to want him to be. I think people got nervous because he got moved to RT then LT (which was his natural position) and looked worse at LT, but until Decker is gone they really only need him to be RT.

I think the Lions defense is playing better mostly because the current coaching staff is actually putting the best players on the field where the old staff showed obvious favoritism toward "their" guys. I mean it's still a bad defense overall, but there are at least some guys out there who make plays.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Goff won a playoff game in this calendar year! And now he plays 5 whole quarters and only lucks into passing for 100 yards on the last play that meant nothing.

Yeah I wonder how much of Goff's collapse is just mental, and how much of it is due to never actually being good. I mean yeah I'm sure it was easier with McVay, but it's a looooong drop from "Starter on a playoff team" to "Worse than a bad backup, looks like a service academy QB"

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It certainly doesn't help that he went from a playoff team to the Lions. A QB can't single-handedly make an offense work.

But yeah I really think Goff just has a head full of rattling pennies and McVay decided he was either unteachable or wasn't worth teaching, and getting the opportunity to trade him for a QB that had spent his career making lemonade must've been the greatest moment of McVay's life.

He went from Cooper Kupp (who looks like one of the best WR's in the league this year) and Robert Woods, to guys that might be on the practice squad for other teams. But he's a bottom of the league QB. Which is fine for the Lions since we want high draft picks the next couple years. However ideally you'd like to win 1 or 2 games for culture.

edited November 2021
    Goff’s issues this season are the same he’s always had. He sucked last year and was very close to being benched for John Wolford in the playoffs.

The Rams didn’t elevate him- he always sucked, they just got by despite him.

I’m coming around more and more to the same thing happening with Mayfield…

Captain Inertia on
    Goff would be out of the league already if the rest of the team and coaches hadn't made the Rams into a winner.

Ditto Wentz if Foles hadn't dragged the Eagles to a Super Bowl win

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think Wentz is far closer to league-average than Goff.

admanb wrote: »
    I think Wentz is far closer to league-average than Goff.

Matthew Stafford mashup with a shambling corpse

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Miami right guard catches a pass (ineligible receiver), takes it in in what is perhaps the best "touchdown that never was", including a reach across the plane while completely inverted, then landing on his head.
    I get that that's the rule (O-Line can't receive), but I'm sad for that player that's the case.

EDITADDIT:

*video of said play*
    - Billy Heyen is somebody with a checkmark.

EDITEDIT:

*image of said play*
    - Ben Solak is a writer for the Ringer.

Putting the original still image back, as while it doesn't tell the whole story like the video does, it encapsulates the beauty of the play much better.

Boog has dubbed this a Thicc-6

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    9ers showing the rams whats what

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!