As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell Me About Your Dream Game

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Brutal Legend 2.

It would have a streamlined, top down MOBA look while retaining unit construction and hero units with combos and spells / solos. Each unit and vehcile would maintain having a pilot/team attack mode. Such attacks would be as potent as the hero unit, preventing players from Lu Bu'ing their way to victory while maintaining their strength.

Like Airmech, only, y'know, when it was good.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Brutal Legend 2.

It would have a streamlined, top down MOBA look while retaining unit construction and hero units with combos and spells / solos. Each unit and vehcile would maintain having a pilot/team attack mode. Such attacks would be as potent as the hero unit, preventing players from Lu Bu'ing their way to victory while maintaining their strength.

Only if it is called Brütalëst Legend.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Brutal Legend 2.

See, I've drawn up preliminary design documents for a standalone expansion pack for Brütal Legend called Brütal Saga. It explores a fourth faction, themed around folk/pirate metal.

Their ultimate unit is The Flying Finn; like the Flying Dutchman, but Finnish.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Brutal Legend 2.

See, I've drawn up preliminary design documents for a standalone expansion pack for Brütal Legend called Brütal Saga. It explores a fourth faction, themed around folk/pirate metal.

My sequal would have involved funk and Ophelia using her Drowning Doom power to tame the functapus and redo the final battle from Dune with a funky metal soundtrack

• Options
    Brutal Legend 2.

My sequal would have involved funk and Ophelia using her Drowning Doom power to tame the functapus and redo the final battle from Dune with a funky metal soundtrack

They leave the original continent and crash into England 1973. In other words, they were in the early seventies the whole time.

• Options
    Brutal Legend 2.

Brütalëst Legend: Let’s Finnish This

• Options
    Dungeons and Dragons traveling circus, or at least a homebrew in another realm

Empire collapsed, roads are open for travel again, assemble a 5 man band, different acts based on different stats....so......D&D idolmaster?

I.e. use str character to put a strongman show on, cha character to hype the crowd, dex character to pickpocket, and wisdom cha can have a hand in running the show's $, con character cooks food to sell

But that is for a str centered show

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Dungeons and Dragons traveling circus, or at least a homebrew in another realm

Empire collapsed, roads are open for travel again, assemble a 5 man band, different acts based on different stats....so......D&D idolmaster?

I.e. use str character to put a strongman show on, cha character to hype the crowd, dex character to pickpocket, and wisdom cha can have a hand in running the show's $, con character cooks food to sell

But that is for a str centered show

Go for the full band

Strength = drummer
    Dexterity = lead guitar
    Constitution = bassist
    Intelligence = rhythm guitar
    Wisdom = manager
    Charisma = front man

Sleep on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So in Shin Megami Tensei V, there's a scene where...
    a flight of Angels is headed to war with the forces of Chaos, and one by one they catch fire and fall out of the sky seemingly with no cause, until Surt rises out of the city and annihilates their entire force with a wall of flame

... and I really appreciated the non-verbal storytelling that just gave you such a clear impression of the power you were up against.

In combination with the fact that the actual spoken dialog in that game is... somewhat lackluster, it made me wonder, as I was out for a walk later in the day, if it would be viable to make a "silent film" JRPG. No words allowed except in the UI (and even that should be rendered pictographically wherever possible), with all presentation of the story done in pantomime. It would be interesting to see if you could get people to understand why your right-hand man turns on the party in favor of the evil emperor without actually letting anyone speak.

In the same vein, this is also way beyond my ability to execute on myself, but it would be interesting to see an RPG (or other narrative/verbally-driven game) written entirely in a conlang. Granted you could get the same experience by just playing a translation of a game in a language you don't already know, but putting everyone on Earth in the same position relative to your game's script would be a fun exercise, I think.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    An MMO that respects your time.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Basically for over a decade I've been wanting to make a game that mashed up Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates battle navigation game with Master of Orion's ship design.
    Design yer spaceships. Obs
    Grid based tactical spaceship combat, where you have a set amount of time each to turn to plan your moves and attacks, and then all parties execute their turns simultaneously.
    Gotta line up your positioning: Maybe you have a huge spinal mount gun that does beaucoup damage but has limited ability to adjust aim so you have to be facing the enemy.
    Maybe you have a broadside of mass driver turrets or missiles with travel time and turning radius.
    Hop through wormholes, seek cover in asteroid belts, become invisible but have no shields in energy storms, do gravity slingshots etc.

Maybe also in larger team battles have a commander role that doesn't control a ship but can see plans of all the ships on their team, warn of collisions, maybe have abilities that provide C&C capabilities, cooldowns that provide buffs or whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    a flight of Angels is headed to war with the forces of Chaos, and one by one they catch fire and fall out of the sky seemingly with no cause, until Surt rises out of the city and annihilates their entire force with a wall of flame

... and I really appreciated the non-verbal storytelling that just gave you such a clear impression of the power you were up against.

In combination with the fact that the actual spoken dialog in that game is... somewhat lackluster, it made me wonder, as I was out for a walk later in the day, if it would be viable to make a "silent film" JRPG. No words allowed except in the UI (and even that should be rendered pictographically wherever possible), with all presentation of the story done in pantomime. It would be interesting to see if you could get people to understand why your right-hand man turns on the party in favor of the evil emperor without actually letting anyone speak.

In the same vein, this is also way beyond my ability to execute on myself, but it would be interesting to see an RPG (or other narrative/verbally-driven game) written entirely in a conlang. Granted you could get the same experience by just playing a translation of a game in a language you don't already know, but putting everyone on Earth in the same position relative to your game's script would be a fun exercise, I think.

A black/white/sepia JRPG whose cutscenes look and sound exactly like silent films sounds interesting, admittedly. Though I'm not sure how long you can make a game like that.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

A black/white/sepia JRPG whose cutscenes look and sound exactly like silent films sounds interesting, admittedly. Though I'm not sure how long you can make a game like that.

Uh it's a jrpg so it's gotta be 100 hours.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Alien surviving something terrible, choose species, background, ship you fled on, and start a game in orbit

D&D all the way to the ground.....if you make to the ground.....if you need the ground.....if there is a ground

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    My first answer is kind of cheating, because in an older, dumber, life, I was a wannabe game designer. So if I had the power (ie. money) to do it, I would create one of those. My favorite three were a 3D action-rpg of the sort that we'd probably call an "isekai" these days. Gameplay-wise, it would be close to Trials of Mana, though with larger areas and more character work, since I love writing dialogue. My second is a gritty squad shooter based around set piece-heavy levels about a (mostly) robot resistance against an alien tyrant. The whole thing was based on my childish Megaman sequel designs, but hopefully I changed it so much that hopefully you wouldn't notice most of it. My third is an action game swapping between stylish combat (the early God of War games, maybe, or maybe more like Bayonetta) and stealth sequences. You star as a tormented, mute child forced to fight demons using an innocuous weapon. It's a different genre, but Binding of Isaac basically beat me to the punch on this one.

These days, now that I've moved on to wannabe writer for now, I would probably want to make a game based around the novel I'm actively revising and hopefully will be ready to present to agents again. Or maybe an MMO set in the universe a few years after the events therein.

Of course, if we're not cheating and only talking about a game I'd like to PLAY, I would like an RPG (Action? Tactical? Some of Each?) that revolves around a ship. Not a spaceship, more a reality-hopping ship that explores different universes, episodic in nature but towards a greater goal, like stopping an evil empire or starting a new independent nation. You would be a wide-eyed newcomer at first but would progress to captain over time and would then have more control over picking crewmates and your destinations. Basically Outer Worlds with more crew interaction, more variety in area and mission design, and maybe add in stuff like Skies of Arcadia's crew and community builder, plus three generations of complexity.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    I appreciate Xenoblade, Guilty Gear Xrd and P5 making "bad gods" interesting and I have a feeling SMTV might do the same.

• Options
    Today?

Off-brand, but equally good Mario Maker with more features and you can buy it on any system.

• Options
    Really well done speakeasy burlesque show tavern management game in a fantasy setting
    Explanation
    a while back I kept trying out all the sim brothel clones and found one that had a bunch of other jobs in addition to prostitution, like security and cleark, that any woman you hired could do.

Then I realized, why focus only on prostitution.

Then, why only only women

So the END tank that guards the front 5 days a week sings a set of 5 songs every saturday night

So basically boardwalk empire management

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    A Starfox game developed by a skilled, experienced, action-loving and focused team of people, none of whom have ever been employees of Nintendo.

A Paper Mario game featuring Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and otherwise exclusively new original characters, set in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    A Starfox game developed by a skilled, experienced, action-loving and focused team of people, none of whom have ever been employees of Nintendo.

A Paper Mario game featuring Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and otherwise exclusively new original characters, set in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ex Zodiac!

The second one I can’t help you with it. It must be excruciating to work on modern Paper Mario.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Just thought of another one:

The Perfect Fourth Iteration of Street Fighter III.

See, between 2nd Impact and Third Strike, five new characters were introduced into the roster, but at that time, this meant that there weren't enough memory for other stuff - the gorgeous stages of 2nd impact (Hong Kong, New York, and Kenya) would have to be "nerfed" so as they can fit all the new stuff.

Hong Kong in 2nd Impact, a bustling street with gawking shoppers that jump when faces get punched near them (transitions to a restaurant with an angry onlooker, just like SFV's China stage):
    y5xqvdzottgf.png

Hong Kong 3rd Strike, shop roofs and the shadows of people below watching:
    tsl4mwdvm5u0.png

Now, 3rd Strike's stages aren't by any means ugly, but there's a lot more life in the stages of New Gen : 2nd Impact.

Additionally, 3rd Strike introduced some balance changes that turned out for the worse - Sean and Ibuki got nerfed, with Sean's reasoning being he's supposed to be the expert's crutch character when facing off against casuals.

Additionally additionally, our machines are plenty powerful enough that there should be no issues with loading SF3 assets.

So another of my dream games is an Street Fighter III - Fourth Quarter:

- The stages of New Generation / 2nd Impact are brought back alongside the 3rd Strike Stages
    - Keep it hip hop by default, but give people an option for the older music
    - Rebalancing introduced (There are some lists out there like Mike Z's (ugh, but his list's solid) and Bafael's), mainly to just buff the bottom tiers (who aren't that bottom, really, but they do need a lil bit of help) and bring down the top 3 a tiny bit. Nothing major, just rein their most prevalent bullshit in (Yun's Genei Jin, Chun-Li's low forward's infinite buffer time)
    - I'm not even really looking for new characters - lord knows Capcom's friggin lazy - so maybe a playable Gill, or EX versions of the characters - eg, Blonde Dudley (with the Thunderbolt and NG/SI voice), a bald Twin (triplet?), Twelve-Omega (who actually morphs into other characters for his moveset), Eleven as the Mokujin option, Shadow Lady Chun Li...
    - Shin Akuma or Serious Oro as boss battles
    - If they're really generous and miraculously there's a budget, maybe they can make Poison and/or Kolin playable!
    - World Tour Mode! And Team Mode a la KOF!
    - QoL stuff like your choice of game HUD (NG, 2I, 3S, or whatever new stuff 4Q has), a modern character color selector, Online

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i've said this before but: use the nemesis system from mordor to make a new podracing game

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I've been playing a bit of elder scrolls and am basically defaulting to being a sneaky archer and stealing everything that I can, and you know what, an open world game dedicated to indulging my kleptomaniacal desires would be great

have I ever saved the world from Alduin? no

have I stolen everything I could get my grubby little Khajiit paws on? yes

so, gimme a nice open world with multiple fancy aristocratic/noble jerks to plan and pull off heists on and gimme some nice movement and climbing and stealth mechanics and I think you'd have a sweet game

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    I've been playing a bit of elder scrolls and am basically defaulting to being a sneaky archer and stealing everything that I can, and you know what, an open world game dedicated to indulging my kleptomaniacal desires would be great

have I ever saved the world from Alduin? no

have I stolen everything I could get my grubby little Khajiit paws on? yes

so, gimme a nice open world with multiple fancy aristocratic/noble jerks to plan and pull off heists on and gimme some nice movement and climbing and stealth mechanics and I think you'd have a sweet game

Oh, open world/heist combo sounds sweet.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Edit: huh there were some things in there I didn't remember that aren't really cool! Never mind!

Juggernut on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh, oh, I just remembered one I've always wanted!

OK, so... a Street Fighter game. Based on the White Wolf published RPG, "Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game", which had a combat system using hex maps and combat maneuver cards that you'd play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOEzQ08EzTA

Basically, I want a grand RPG story set in the Street Fighter universe, but specifically the one set up in the White Wolf RPG where the World Warriors are like the MLB of the fighting circuit and you start in AAA, and where each fight is, basically, Fights In Tight Spaces Except Not So Tight And Also With Dragon Punches And Shit. Complete with Create Your Fighter, so your character can be a mall-trained pseutokan wanting to be a big star like Ken or an alligator hybrid from the swamps of Louisiana who's inspired by Blanka making it to the big stage.

Also just a mode that's, like, create your fighter, sign fights, get better, try to become a World Warrior. Career mode, basically.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Star Wars Rebellion: 2. It's Rebellion without the tedious 50000 clicks it takes to do anything, ai that can actually play, and a tactical game that looks good and controls good. And you can pause the real-time to issue orders by pressing space.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    A virtual reality 40k Titan simulator.

The missions start by picking your loadout (it's not a giant robot game unless you can decide what kind of blasty death rays you're using (IMHO)).
    Next, mission briefing and you plot the preliminary course of your titan on the map. Do you go the direct route and stride over mountains (exposing yourself to additional fire) or take a more circuitous route through the canyons of the surrounding battlefield to limit exposure, but at the cost of time and fuel expenditure? Naturally, you can update the course in real time as you progress through the mission in response to altered objectives, doing so takes your attention from the weapons so there is some risk there. Also, you're issuing orders to a gigantic war machine, so it isn't stopping, accelerating or turning on a dime.

While the titan walks, you control the guns from the view of the cockpit, targeting mass of enemies or allies who happen to be in the way of enemies. Use your weapons with care to limit ammunition expenditure/heat build up (a plasma cannon the size of a building gets spicy. Designate targets for the artillery weapons.

I'm imagining boss fights with an enemy titan where you have to bounce between the map screen to plot your course while taking fire, then bounce to the primary view to return volleys of fire and swapping back to you map screen to plot the next step of your course in response to the enemy titans maneuvers. The maps also provide some tactical data of your allies in the field, so you decide if you want to drive the enemy titan toward you allied tank brigades in the hopes that they can deal some damage, or do you try to take it yourself for the glory of the Emperor? Do you have an allied titan nearby that you can call in for additional fire power? Do you have another enemy titan that's about to make your life really interesting?

Ideally, you get to pilot all kinds of titans from agile wolfhound to the towering Imperator, plodding across the battlefield unleashing hell on your enemies. Of course, you're not stuck just piloting Imperial titans, there are Chaos titans, Eldar titans, Ork Stompas, Tau Battlesuits, heck, maybe even Tyranid bio-titans. They'd handle differently, have different weapons, but all of them big, heavily armed and wrecking havoc on the battlefield.

If I get a completely unlimited budget here, some way to completely scratch build your titan to customize it to your own specifications and then an online option to titan fight strangers on the internet sounds like it could be fun.
    ...sigh... right up until you get taken out by a dick gun Volcano Cannon and teabagged by a Slaneesh chaos titan.

• Options
    Visser a cleanup detail sexual aftercare

Clean up the bedroom,/house/office/boat

Tend to needs and requests of n+1 partners

Clean and sanitize everything

No fucking, just cleaning

• Options
    Wander around greece as hera and murder all of Zeus' bastard children

Open world puzzle game, set one spawn against another

• Options
    Kaiju Garden Simulator

You’re a little man on the back of a massive monster that is crushing all in its path. You have to keep it healthy and also you make a garden on it?

Maybe you can direct it just a bit?

The background music is a hundred interpretive jazz pieces on shuffle.

I didn’t think this through. Please pay me $100000.

• Options
    ms29em32j6re.jpeg

Game of the Year.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I want to play a game where you are a smithy in a somewhat vague fantasy setting and basically all you do is make the weapons and armor for the people doing all the fantasy adventuring. You don't actually do any yourself.

Just a real chill game, borderline ASMR where you totter around in your workshop and the smithing stuff is really in depth and time consuming so that you really feel like you made something. Like, carving hilts out of wood and wrapping them in leather, attaching each individual buckle to a piece of armor, engraving or guilding weapons, maybe learning magic runes you can use to enchant stuff.

At no point do you ever use one of these swords to kill something, you just make it, polish it and wait for the customer to come pick it up while you listen to ambient noises like birds or rain or people chatting off in the town down the hill.

• Options
    Not exactly a dream game, but a concept I have no use for:

Turn based combat. Probably a JRPG but the style could be anything.

The player always goes first.
    Actions can be worth 1, 2 or 3 dots.
    Party of 3. Min 3, max 9 dots a turn.
    The actions you choose to take on your turn gives the enemy their allotted dots.
    The enemy takes their turn.
    Repeat.

An example:
    Player turn.
    Fighter punches. 1 dot.
    Cyborg scans. 1 dot.
    Monk meditates. 1 dot.
    Enemy turn.
    Drake breathes fire. 3 dots.
    Goblin does nothing.
    Eyeball does nothing.
    —OR—
    Drake snarls. 1 dot.
    Goblin sneak attacks. 2 dots.
    Eyeball does nothing.
    —OR—
    Drake snarls. 1 dot.
    Goblin punches. 1 dot.
    Eyeball targets. 1 dot.

In theory you could starve a foe that only uses a certain amount of dots to attack.
    “The brass golem is too slow to hit you.”

Or you could go all out to defeat them before they get a chance to act.

• Options
    I might have said this already but I think crossing a pretty standard dungeon crawl game with a management sim would be fun. The basic gameplay loop: The game tosses three dungeon options at you, with a brief description of how tough each one is going to be, along with an idea of what you’ll face there, maybe what prize is at the end too.

Because of this, instead of veering towards a preferred party (therefore leaving all the other characters on the sidelines) you have to keep swapping folks around to best suit the three dungeons you’ve got to take on simultaneously.

I guess you wouldn’t want to play through all these dungeons, so you pick who you want to actually control, and the other parties just have their results handed to you afterwards. There could be a push and pull by way of which mission has the most rewards versus which one will empower the enemy forces should a party fail, to make you question which dungeon you really must defeat.

You could add in an injury/fatigue system too, to further force you to swap characters around.

kqznui9n5n32.jpeg

There would also be a buff lobster man.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh, that reminds me of another idea I had, which would be a perhaps more business sim-based rogue like, but a super villain themed one. So runs start with you busting out of jail, they end with the invincible Superman-character putting you back in jail, everything in between is you sending henches on missions to gather resources to build giant freeze rays and death-bots and fighting minor superheroes, rather than directly controlling your character.

You can even keep the buff lobster man.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I want to play a game where you are a smithy in a somewhat vague fantasy setting and basically all you do is make the weapons and armor for the people doing all the fantasy adventuring. You don't actually do any yourself.

Just a real chill game, borderline ASMR where you totter around in your workshop and the smithing stuff is really in depth and time consuming so that you really feel like you made something. Like, carving hilts out of wood and wrapping them in leather, attaching each individual buckle to a piece of armor, engraving or guilding weapons, maybe learning magic runes you can use to enchant stuff.

At no point do you ever use one of these swords to kill something, you just make it, polish it and wait for the customer to come pick it up while you listen to ambient noises like birds or rain or people chatting off in the town down the hill.

I was thinking that very same thing while upgrading my gear in Shadows of Valentia, a blacksmith game would be fun. Could have quests between upgrades to go gather materials or expand clientele.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I was thinking that very same thing while upgrading my gear in Shadows of Valentia, a blacksmith game would be fun. Could have quests between upgrades to go gather materials or expand clientele.

Okay sure, but what if you’re doing it all to become noticed by a super hot eight foot tall Amazon who only buys from the best weapon smith? Eh? What if that?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Okay sure, but what if you’re doing it all to become noticed by a super hot eight foot tall Amazon who only buys from the best weapon smith? Eh? What if that?

That'll be the dating sim expansion.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

then you end up on that part of the Steam store

ikbUJdU.jpg