As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics Thread] Government-running Cons accused of running cons in government

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So what I'm getting is that the TV wall-mount I ordered on the weekend that seems to have shipped Purolator ground from Vancouver is not likely to arrive in short order ... :P

I mean, with Purolator, your odds were never good to start with.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I suspect/hope that we may see the federal government swiftly moving to revise entry requirements into Canada regarding Covid testing - if they have any sense, they'll carve out an exception allowing double vaccinated ground travellers arriving in BC/AB/SK/MA to skip PCR testing. Supply lines are going to be stretched as is, and PCR tests are going to add more friction to the process. As it is, food access might actually be an issue, given how we import so much fruit and vegetables.

This is potentially simultaneously a fascinating and potentially horrifying look at what happens when our just in time supply network can't provide things just in time.

No, ground travellers can take some extra steps.

Cartage / Hauling already have exemptions from the more onerous requirements.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    'Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole has kicked Saskatchewan Sen. Denise Batters out of the national caucus a day after she launched a petition calling for an expedited review of his leadership.

"As the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, I will not tolerate an individual discrediting and showing a clear lack of respect towards the efforts of the entire Conservative caucus, who are holding the corrupt and disastrous Trudeau government to account," O'Toole said in a media statement late Tuesday.'

Do the cons have any plans to hire a permanent leader, or are they just going with a succession of fucking temps?

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    'Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole has kicked Saskatchewan Sen. Denise Batters out of the national caucus a day after she launched a petition calling for an expedited review of his leadership.

"As the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, I will not tolerate an individual discrediting and showing a clear lack of respect towards the efforts of the entire Conservative caucus, who are holding the corrupt and disastrous Trudeau government to account," O'Toole said in a media statement late Tuesday.'

Do the cons have any plans to hire a permanent leader, or are they just going with a succession of fucking temps?

Their whole political identity is about attacking and criticizing ... Always.

They are stuck in this perpetual cycle of eating themselves alive, ouroboros style now.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

They are stuck in this perpetual cycle of eating themselves alive, ouroboros style now.

Don't underestimate them. The faction that eats the others is usually the nuttier and more extreme one, and they end up the sole faction controlling the party, while the party retains its historic credentials as a big-tent of multiple factions. The end result is a very united, very fanatical party with the resources and reputation of a moderate wide-appeal party. It's what happened to the Republicans down south.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

Don't underestimate them. The faction that eats the others is usually the nuttier and more extreme one, and they end up the sole faction controlling the party, while the party retains its historic credentials as a big-tent of multiple factions. The end result is a very united, very fanatical party with the resources and reputation of a moderate wide-appeal party. It's what happened to the Republicans down south.

Yes, but in the states, there are only two parties.... There is always going to be some version of the PPC that breaks off and is "more" extreme and bleeds off votes.

O'Toole is trying to drag them to the center as he has the good sense to realize that's their only path to victory.

Don't like the man but he does have a good understanding of how the game is played.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So, the Algorithm has noticed my interest in Not Just Bikes and tried to engagement me something interesting about Québec: a REM fan from Toronto talking about Québec's future tram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2nT-A1mvo

mrondeau on
  • Options
    I used VIA to go from Montreal to Quebec city over the summer. Forgot how much I enjoyed it !

• Options

Yes, but in the states, there are only two parties.... There is always going to be some version of the PPC that breaks off and is "more" extreme and bleeds off votes.

I think you're overstating the impact of the PPC's "vote bleed". They got less than 5% of the popular vote. For comparison, the Bloc gets 7.6% of the popular vote while running in a single province. For individual ridings, I don't have a spreadsheet to check nation-wide, but I manually checked the list of 10 closest ridings in the last election: only 4 had the CPC in second place (not always to the Liberals in first), and one of those didn't even have a PPC candidate running, so that's only 3 out of 10 that could have changed to the CPC without the PPC. But that assumes that PPC voters would have gone with the CPC if they didn't have the chance, which is far from guaranteed (as stated, they are the "more extreme" conservatives, so we shouldn't assume they'd sheepishly vote for a "moderate" (from their point of view) candidate). Harper's unified conservative party got less votes and less popular vote than the Alliance and Conservatives put together in the previous election.

More importantly, you're overstating the importance of our "multiple party" system. We certainly have multiple parties running, but only two parties ever formed governments in the history of our nation, and no one actually believes any of the other parties has a shot. We are a two-party government with a multi-party opposition, not a multi-party government. When people get tired of the Liberals and want change for whatever reason, it will be the CPC, and none of our other dozen or so parties, that will take power.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    So, the Algorithm has noticed by interest in Not Just Bikes and tried to engagement me something interesting about Québec: a REM fan from Toronto talking about Québec's future tram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2nT-A1mvo

Don't talk about the cost and how the Chinese have gotten their rail cost down to like a third of the therotical cost it will take to maybe lay a km of track in north america

Oh wait that's high speed rail not light rail if I even see the go train come to my town I still won't believe it's happened they'll probably just build another 407

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I think you're overstating the impact of the PPC's "vote bleed". They got less than 5% of the popular vote. For comparison, the Bloc gets 7.6% of the popular vote while running in a single province. For individual ridings, I don't have a spreadsheet to check nation-wide, but I manually checked the list of 10 closest ridings in the last election: only 4 had the CPC in second place (not always to the Liberals in first), and one of those didn't even have a PPC candidate running, so that's only 3 out of 10 that could have changed to the CPC without the PPC. But that assumes that PPC voters would have gone with the CPC if they didn't have the chance, which is far from guaranteed (as stated, they are the "more extreme" conservatives, so we shouldn't assume they'd sheepishly vote for a "moderate" (from their point of view) candidate). Harper's unified conservative party got less votes and less popular vote than the Alliance and Conservatives put together in the previous election.

More importantly, you're overstating the importance of our "multiple party" system. We certainly have multiple parties running, but only two parties ever formed governments in the history of our nation, and no one actually believes any of the other parties has a shot. We are a two-party government with a multi-party opposition, not a multi-party government. When people get tired of the Liberals and want change for whatever reason, it will be the CPC, and none of our other dozen or so parties, that will take power.

Sure, man. I could say the sky is blue and you would have a 2 paragraph response ready about how, no, it's actually turquoise.

You are now arguing against yourself and saying that the conservatives are losing votes.... I was just replying to your fear-mongering post above about the terror of conservatives ;)

Two parties gave won but the NDP and Bloc sure do love playing kingmaker as we have mostly had minority governments and that trend is only getting stronger. The bloc is essentially only there to promote Quebec and their flavor of the week outrage sure is not helping.

Disco11 on
  • Options
    PPC 5% of the vote vs the Blocs 7.2% sure does not seem very far apart to me.

• Options

Sure, man. I could say the sky is blue and you would have a 2 paragraph response ready about how, no, it's actually turquoise.

You are now arguing against yourself and saying that the conservatives are losing votes.... I was just replying to your fear-mongering post above about the terror of conservatives ;)

Two parties gave won but the NDP and Bloc sure do love playing kingmaker as we have mostly had minority governments and that trend is only getting stronger. The bloc is essentially only there to promote Quebec and their flavor of the week outrage sure is not helping.

You're also overstating your importance to me. I seldom check who I'm responding to before responding. Though I guess I'll have to be more careful to ignore you, since you seem to take it so personally.

5% from 312 candidates nation-wide against 7.6% from 78 candidates in one province seems worlds apart to me. One of them is a serious political force, the other would rightfully be relegated to "fringe party" status and ignored along with the Rhinos and CHP if not for the star-power of their leader and the overt right-wing bias of the MSM.

sig.gif
  • Options

You're also overstating your importance to me. I seldom check who I'm responding to before responding. Though I guess I'll have to be more careful to ignore you, since you seem to take it so personally.

5% from 312 candidates nation-wide against 7.6% from 78 candidates in one province seems worlds apart to me. One of them is a serious political force, the other would rightfully be relegated to "fringe party" status and ignored along with the Rhinos and CHP if not for the star-power of their leader and the overt right-wing bias of the MSM.

Oh I'm not saying it's me, specifically. That's just how you respond to literally anyone ;)

The Tea party and Q were both fringe and now lead the party.

The PPC doubled their vote count between elections. If that does not worry you I don't know what to say. We currently have a very weak NDP and greens pushing more moderates to vote for the liberals helping them keep in power but this may not always be the case. The conservatives need their "whole" base to keep the line for them to have any path to victory and O'toole knows this hence his push towards the center as well.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So of course with Parliament opening again we see the conservatives doing there usual song and dance about vaccination statuses of their own MPs.

While they say that all of their MPs are allowed in because they met the requirements either they are vaccinated or have a valid medical exemption the chances that more than a few MPs actually have legit medical exemptions is unlikely.

The cons are the only party that have not flat out said all their MPs were fully vaccinated.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8392343/covid-vaccine-exemption-conservative-mp-unvaccinated/

from the article

"An analysis by The Canadian Press found at least two of the 119 Conservative MPs have said they can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons, while 83 others said they’ve had both of their shots. The others haven’t publicly disclosed their status, with some like Ontario MP Leslyn Lewis saying they believe that information is private.

O’Toole didn’t answer Tuesday when asked again how many of his members have medical exemptions, but said Conservatives worked with officials on Parliament Hill to ensure they met public health requirements, and expressed disappointment at the Liberals’ suggestion those officials didn’t do their jobs properly."

Which of course is a bunch of wank from O'Toole. The officials have to take the exemption they receive at face value because they have no way to determine if it is valid or not. I could see the remaining 34 MPs being a mix of folks who are vaccinated but not telling and folks claiming to be exempt. Its those exempt claiming ones that should be scrutinized as well as the doctors who provided the exemption.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Here in the Province of Québec, the last bastion of municipal electoral drama just ended... by drawing the name of a town's new mayor from a hat.

As a bit of background, the mayorship had been won on the night of the election by one of the two candidates, by only one vote. The other candidate contested the victory, arguing that one of the ballots the poll-workers had rejected as void was actually a vote for him. The judge ruled to accept the ballot, creating a tie, which by law is broken by a random draw. And that's how the judge ended up picking the new mayor by drawing a name from a hat.

What's more fascinating to me is the rejected ballot in question (spoiler'd for huge):
    resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgcm.omerlocdn.com%2Fproduction%2Fglobal%2Ffiles%2Fimage%2F2e2bd9f4-7c11-4608-8d94-cb8c2c6b7bca.jpg&width=1024&type=webp&stripmeta=true

While I can accept the argument that we can reasonably infer the person intended to vote for Pouliot... what the hell? This is a textbook case of Murphy's Law. Who the hell looks at a ballot and decides this is the correct way to fill it out? That's notwithstanding the fact that poll workers give clear instructions on how to vote AND there's a massive visual instruction guide right in front of you in the isolation box. What, seriously what, must have been going through the head of the person who decided this was the correct way to fill a ballot?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Here in the Province of Québec, the last bastion of municipal electoral drama just ended... by drawing the name of a town's new mayor from a hat.

As a bit of background, the mayorship had been won on the night of the election by one of the two candidates, by only one vote. The other candidate contested the victory, arguing that one of the ballots the poll-workers had rejected as void was actually a vote for him. The judge ruled to accept the ballot, creating a tie, which by law is broken by a random draw. And that's how the judge ended up picking the new mayor by drawing a name from a hat.

What's more fascinating to me is the rejected ballot in question (spoiler'd for huge):
    resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgcm.omerlocdn.com%2Fproduction%2Fglobal%2Ffiles%2Fimage%2F2e2bd9f4-7c11-4608-8d94-cb8c2c6b7bca.jpg&width=1024&type=webp&stripmeta=true

While I can accept the argument that we can reasonably infer the person intended to vote for Pouliot... what the hell? This is a textbook case of Murphy's Law. Who the hell looks at a ballot and decides this is the correct way to fill it out? That's notwithstanding the fact that poll workers give clear instructions on how to vote AND there's a massive visual instruction guide right in front of you in the isolation box. What, seriously what, must have been going through the head of the person who decided this was the correct way to fill a ballot?

Probably an elderly person with just a little bit of dementia, where they can still grasp the point of what they need to do but struggle with the process. I used to review forms for an assisted living senior's block and would constantly get kinda-but-holy-shit-why forms filled out like this all the time. They're usually so focused on keeping the task focused in their mind (I need to vote for Pouliot!), that all instructions, past knowledge, and context get crowded out to that one overriding focus.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's the kinda thing that really makes you glad they can vote.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Blarghy wrote: »

Probably an elderly person with just a little bit of dementia, where they can still grasp the point of what they need to do but struggle with the process. I used to review forms for an assisted living senior's block and would constantly get kinda-but-holy-shit-why forms filled out like this all the time. They're usually so focused on keeping the task focused in their mind (I need to vote for Pouliot!), that all instructions, past knowledge, and context get crowded out to that one overriding focus.

Was going to say something similar. It could easily be someone with an intellectual disability where, following a whole bunch of instructions in an unfamiliar place, etc etc is just too much to process. I'd actually be surprised if this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    One day these cops will hopefully remember that we all have video cameras now ......

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/investigation-launched-into-violent-arrest-of-black-youths-in-quebec-city

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    One day these cops will hopefully remember that we all have video cameras now ......

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/investigation-launched-into-violent-arrest-of-black-youths-in-quebec-city

Honestly, I prefer if they don't. That way, they don't destroy the evidence.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Here's a really good flickr album showing the damage and clean-up work on BC's highways.

Direct link in case twitter isn't cooperating: https://t.co/cjRfONjK4B?amp=1

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

I'm not sure it matters. Look how many cops are on video murdering people. It's not stopping them. Most of them get acquitted in the rare event they get charged, and it certainly isn't causing the government to talk legislation to hold police to a higher standard than "It's cool if you abuse or murder Canadian citizens"

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

I'm not sure it matters. Look how many cops are on video murdering people. It's not stopping them. Most of them get acquitted in the rare event they get charged, and it certainly isn't causing the government to talk legislation to hold police to a higher standard than "It's cool if you abuse or murder Canadian citizens"

Plus they increasingly see it as an excuse to arrest and rough up the people doing the recording. "What camera?"

• Options
    So the lawyer of one of the teens arrested in the video was on French CBC while I was driving home. Some facts on the case:
    * The teen had no criminal history or run-in with the cops prior to this event.
    * The teen has not received an infraction by the cops nor accused of any crime following his arrest. In fact he was let go by the cops a few hours after his arrest with no explanation.
    * By "let go", I mean they confiscated his phone and dropped him off in a distant part of town with no wallet, money or ID at 3am.
    * The family are refuges who fled violent government persecution in their country, so they are not taking this lightly.
    * The lawyer has a civil lawsuit ready to file, as soon as the internal investigation report is released in a week or two so its facts can be included in the suit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    5 cops involved have been suspended (with pay, as per their collective agreement) pending two ongoing internal investigations. All three opposition parties in the National Assembly are calling for an independent investigation as well, but so far the government has (unsurprisingly) refused.

sig.gif
  • Options
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/feds-reinstating-foreign-air-travel-testing-reviewing-booster-strategy-in-light-of-omicron-1.5687538

New travel testing is so dumb.

I am going to mexico in 10 days for my honeymoon. To fly I need to be double vaccinated. To Flyback I need a 120$ American PCR test.... And now isolation until I get my results. I am part of a travel group for the resort we are going to and what is everyone else doing? Switching their flights to connect through the US and avoiding the new requirements.

All this for what, exactly? The new variant is already here and has been for a while. Vaccines work as promised then why all these extra hoops?

Won't change my plans as we have a bunch of vacations once we return and the results come quickly from what I have been told. Just seems so pointless.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/feds-reinstating-foreign-air-travel-testing-reviewing-booster-strategy-in-light-of-omicron-1.5687538

I am going to mexico in 10 days for my honeymoon. To fly I need to be double vaccinated. To Flyback I need a 120$ American PCR test.... And now isolation until I get my results. I am part of a travel group for the resort we are going to and what is everyone else doing? Switching their flights to connect through the US and avoiding the new requirements.

All this for what, exactly? The new variant is already here and has been for a while. Vaccines work as promised then why all these extra hoops?

Won't change my plans as we have a bunch of vacations once we return and the results come quickly from what I have been told. Just seems so pointless.

Naturally they have once again changed their Byzantine process just after I've left the country, so I've now got the prospect of a second Christmas in isolation.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options

Naturally they have once again changed their Byzantine process just after I've left the country, so I've now got the prospect of a second Christmas in isolation.

We tried to summon you on discord to see how you were doing with that.

Test results are pretty quick I hear.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I’m still of the opinion that allowing any recreational travel during a pandemic with uncontrolled spread is madness.

Treating some countries differently is just madness on top of madness. People will figure out the loopholes and paths of least resistance making distinctions meaningless to anyone with means.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

I’m still of the opinion that allowing any recreational travel during a pandemic with uncontrolled spread is madness.

Treating some countries differently is just madness on top of madness. People will figure out the loopholes and paths of least resistance making distinctions meaningless to anyone with means.

Sure. Some of us need the mental break and have been following the rules this whole time. I was told that vaccination was the path to normalcy....

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Sure. Some of us need the mental break and have been following the rules this whole time. I was told that vaccination was the path to normalcy....

It is.

There's a lot of people resistant to getting it, as well as the fact that the 'path' is not Get Vaccine, Immediate Return To Normal.

For many people, travelling to Mexico is something they cannot do even before the pandemic.

• Options

It is.

There's a lot of people resistant to getting it, as well as the fact that the 'path' is not Get Vaccine, Immediate Return To Normal.

For many people, travelling to Mexico is something they cannot do even before the pandemic.

Cool.

So now as it is we are just writing giant loopholes in the regulations making them pointless.

everyone that is flying needs to be double vaxxed and PCR tested. If that is not "safe" enough, nothing ever will be.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

We tried to summon you on discord to see how you were doing with that.

Test results are pretty quick I hear.

Oh shit I should reply. Sorry I haven't been active much :bigfrown:

I was in Canada over the summer, went back to the Bahamas from September through to mid-November, took a couple of weeks back in Canada and then just got back to the Bahamas this past Sunday. My plan was to come down until the owner left in mid-December and then go back to Canada from mid-Dec to mid-Jan 2022. Now I'm not sure. If the routing through the US trick works I may just do that.

The one saving grace (and pro-tip for anyone going to the Bahamas) is that they have done a great job making all the testing available and getting it done quickly. Most hotels actually have a clinic on-site to do PCR testing. Sadly for me, Atlantis requires that you be a guest otherwise I'd just go get my PCR done there.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Can someone remind me where the Discord is again? Now I have Discord! We've been basically sealed in an apartment in downtown TO since the start of the pandemic, with a toddler, so basically it would be nice to speak to other humans I don't work with. Mostly so I can complain about immigrating during a pandemic with an incoming small child, and the resulting hilarity, and getting my head around Canadian culture.

I will also speak to only mildly malevolent AI masquerading as humans, if that helps.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

It is.

Cool.

So now as it is we are just writing giant loopholes in the regulations making them pointless.

everyone that is flying needs to be double vaxxed and PCR tested. If that is not "safe" enough, nothing ever will be.

so one can just reroute from where they came from and make a stop in the US first and they are ok to fly into Canada? How does that work?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

It is.

Cool.

so one can just reroute from where they came from and make a stop in the US first and they are ok to fly into Canada? How does that work?

That is 100% how that works.

I know 2 x people that have done that already. I'm not changing my flight and don't really mind isolating for whatever time it takes.

If you are going to make it that easy it's pointless is my meaning

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

It is.

Cool.

It might not. Depends how the rule is worded. So it might work, or it might just get you held up at the airport while they figure out what to deal with you.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Can someone remind me where the Discord is again? Now I have Discord! We've been basically sealed in an apartment in downtown TO since the start of the pandemic, with a toddler, so basically it would be nice to speak to other humans I don't work with. Mostly so I can complain about immigrating during a pandemic with an incoming small child, and the resulting hilarity, and getting my head around Canadian culture.

I will also speak to only mildly malevolent AI masquerading as humans, if that helps.

I will get someone to link it as I'm on mobile.

great space and helped keep us sane during this craziness. And get some video game/ RPG groups together!