As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I would've loved a Black Widow/Hulk team up movie, though stealthy it wouldn't have been. :lol:

I think King Shark disproves that it's impossible.
    Now I'm imagining Natasha sneaking into a military base and looking over and seeing a tank slowly walking by, a pair of big green feet visible underneath it.

The tank is wearing a fake mustache.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, not recasting T'Challa is 100% the right move. Nobody is going to be Boseman's T'Challa and he was great with the time he had with the role. The character also has a whole pile of people to take over the mantle without missing a step
    Eh.

Given the emotions at the time, I'm sure it felt like the right move and I can't blame them for it, but I don't really think it was the right move. Iron Man, Cap, they'll all be rebooted eventually. They'll all become like 007. T'Challa shouldn't be excluded from this. The character itself was an inspiration to so many kids. The actor was amazing as well, but the character was the character.

That and, if rumors are true about who takes up the mantle....
    Letitia is a bit problematic when it comes to Covid, anti vax conspiracies, and a few other things she's posted. She's also not vaccinated and went home to recover from an on-set injury, which is fine, but then the CDC changed the rules about non-US citizens now being required to be vaccinated to enter the country.

And Black Panther is shooting in the US.

Oopsie-Daisy!

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If they reboot Iron Man and Cap, they'll be rebooting the entire MCU. That's not happening for a very long while (basically, until this one stops being profitable).
    The difference between this and 007 is that that's based around one character. Losing your main character actor means either recasting or just ditching the franchise. When they lose one character here, they have a few dozen others they can focus on, and I don't even know how many news ones they can introduce.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I would've loved a Black Widow/Hulk team up movie, though stealthy it wouldn't have been. :lol:

I think King Shark disproves that it's impossible.
    Now I'm imagining Natasha sneaking into a military base and looking over and seeing a tank slowly walking by, a pair of big green feet visible underneath it.

I can't find a video for it, but the Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game had you do exactly that with a truck. Seeing the truck bob up and down cartoon style was fantastic.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    If they reboot Iron Man and Cap, they'll be rebooting the entire MCU. That's not happening for a very long while (basically, until this one stops being profitable).
    The difference between this and 007 is that that's based around one character. Losing your main character actor means either recasting or just ditching the franchise. When they lose one character here, they have a few dozen others they can focus on, and I don't even know how many news ones they can introduce.

Plus they can “pass the torch” to characters like Sam as Cap, or Iron Heart for Tony. The bench is pretty deep and I think it will be great to highlight new characters.

People love Cap, Tony, and Thor now. But often forget that they weren’t nearly as beloved before the MCU (and great casting) helped raise their profile.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Thousands, the avengers themselves werent top tier characters of the Marvel roster, and they made (successfully) two movies about GotG. Add to that all the X-men related characters that they can use now, without touching the main X-men cast. Its characters as far as the eye can see.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

I could've said Batman / Joker for a more comic related one.

Like I said, emotions were raw and no one would gainsay them....but I think it also would've been fine to recast.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea honestly Marvel ever recasting any of their heroes would be a terrible mistake. Get the perfect actor for the role (something they've been great on so far), have them act the hell out of the role for a few solo movies and a few team up movies over like 10 years and then rotate them out for new heroes.

Sometimes there's a passing-the-torch character like Captain Sam or Kate Bishop Hawkeye but even that should be the rare exception and not the rule. They've got plenty of content, I've never read the comics, keep showing me new things!

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Yea honestly Marvel ever recasting any of their heroes would be a terrible mistake. Get the perfect actor for the role (something they've been great on so far), have them act the hell out of the role for a few solo movies and a few team up movies over like 10 years and then rotate them out for new heroes.

Sometimes there's a passing-the-torch character like Captain Sam or Kate Bishop Hawkeye but even that should be the rare exception and not the rule. They've got plenty of content, I've never read the comics, keep showing me new things!

War Machine says hi. Though that was A. early and B. a side character

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Eternals
    When they went with the Earth X "Celestial seeds are in the planets core and destroy it when they are born", I was extremely primed to see Galactus at least teased in a post credit scene, since he was the counter-balance to it in that story. A little disappointed, but the door is very much open to tie him into them once FF gets around to introducing him

By the time they've established themselves, recasting would just hurt them. One movie is pretty much the limit where they can get away with that for a significant character. After that point they're better off not having the character any more and working with that.

If something happened to Benedict Cumberbatch right now (to avoid tragedy, I'll posit he gets exposed as a true top-tier asshole on social media prompting Disney to drop him ASAP), they wouldn't recast him. They might do some CGI plus editing plus rewrites to finish off the movies he's currently in, but any plans for a Doctor Strange 3 would be dropped, then they'd look at the pieces they had left and someone would say "Okay, how about 'Wong: Sorcerer Supreme'?"

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

Spidey: No Way Home Worst Kept Spoilers in history kind of play with this in a really weird (but fun) way
    Bringing in Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield establishes that the same "person" - Peter Parker - is not always the SAME PERSON (actor) in the multiverse.

So I can totally see at some point T'Challa returning, as a new actor, but not our T'Challa, but also...it's just T'Challa again.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Spidey: No Way Home Worst Kept Spoilers in history kind of play with this in a really weird (but fun) way
    Bringing in Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield establishes that the same "person" - Peter Parker - is not always the SAME PERSON (actor) in the multiverse.

So I can totally see at some point T'Challa returning, as a new actor, but not our T'Challa, but also...it's just T'Challa again.

Pretty sure they explicitly said they won't do that, because it's the same thing as just recasting him

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I mean, they technically already have. Sam Wilson Captain America and Iron Heart are both *basically* reboots of a sort :P

But in terms of what you actually mean, yeah, I agree :3 They "killed off" those two characters (I use quotes because Steve Rogers technically isn't dead? I think?) so rebooting them would mean doing something outside of the MCU (or, perhaps, "in the multiverse") which I don't see them doing.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My head canon has Steve Rogers going back in time to become Mr Rogers and nobody can take that from me :P

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    I finally saw and enjoyed Shang-Chi!
    The part I didn't like was the dad being played as such an evil guy. I mean, he was also in grief and just wanted to see his wife again.

It felt really jarring that Shang-Chi went right to 'I'm going to kill him!' in the prep for the battle, and then immediately went back to 'I'm going to save him!' during the battle. Like I get he wasn't a great father, but it would have been a lot more consistent if they could have built on the reformed guy needs some help to stay on the wagon angle and been a little more sympathetic.
    I overall really enjoyed it, but how quickly the protagonists ruled out the possibility that the father could somehow be correct in the MCU world felt weird. They reference the blip, this is MCU earth a million movies in, yet the heroes refuse to give a second thought that there's a chance that the mother's soul is actually trapped.
    They did mention "I thought he was just nuts, but then a dragon statue made a magical map so IDK". but once they got there they got another explanation with a lot more evidence backing it up than the word of a grieving megalomaniac.
    It's not like a case oh 'oh that's silly, ghosts don't exist'. There were two outlandish sounding stories, and they chose to believe the one that seemed more likely in the circumstances.
    My point was that once they did find out the father was being manipulated by an evil force, the answer of most heroes isn't "well, guess I'm going to have to kill him then." Which was then especially out of place when they immediately walked that back in the final confrontation. Like the father's story could have been a lot more sympathetic, but they went for mustache-twirling because they needed a clear bad guy for the first ~80% of the movie.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I mean, they technically already have. Sam Wilson Captain America and Iron Heart are both *basically* reboots of a sort :P

But in terms of what you actually mean, yeah, I agree :3 They "killed off" those two characters (I use quotes because Steve Rogers technically isn't dead? I think?) so rebooting them would mean doing something outside of the MCU (or, perhaps, "in the multiverse") which I don't see them doing.

They're not reboots, they're successors (Same as the next Black Panther will presumably be). To keep the 007 comparison, they're what you get if you follow the 'James Bond is just a codename' explanation for the various Bond actors. But I don't see them writing some convoluted way to get a new Steve Rogers in his prime and ready for a fresh five-film contract back into the MCU.

I know comics do that, but that's because they want to keep the characters around because they have a lot of stories to tell and don't want to have to keep creating new characters. The movies aren't going to hit that level of saturation before their actors age out of the roles anyway.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Well, that's five out of six?
    Sandman, Lizard, Dr. Ock, Green Goblin, Electro

Vulture for the last?

And it looks like Ock might...
    be a good guy?

wVEsyIc.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The movie looks neat!

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Huh. Looks good but no real spoilers beyond what we saw in the poster.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

Vulture for the last?

be a good guy?
    Possibly, the line about how “they all die fighting Spider-Man” suggests they are going to try and stop them from being killed. Maybe?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Calling it now, based on the trailer
    One of the other Spidey saves MJ when she is falling.

Oh, for sure

Just watched the trailer on my TV, pretty sure there are 2 versions of Green Goblin

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Just watched the trailer on my TV, pretty sure there are 2 versions of Green Goblin
    To us, it looked like the Amazing Spider-Man 2 version of Harry / Green Goblin.

steam_sig.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Calling it now, based on the trailer
    One of the other Spidey saves MJ when she is falling.
    Probably Garfield because he's been there before.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Visskar wrote: »

My thought exactly

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Vulture for the last?

be a good guy?

Well...
    ...sort've was a good guy in his movie at least at the end. I mean, he went a little crazy, but he fought back control over the arms and died to help save the day.
    He might just be a little loopy from waking up in another dimension after dying.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm strongly getting the suggestion
    that Parker not only has to fight these guys, he's going to try to save them too. Strange says each of them are fated to die and I'm wondering if Parker isn't going to go Maximum Spider-Man and try to keep them all from getting killed because of him. So Spidey is going to end up having to face down Strange because Spidey refuses to accept that all these people are going to die because of him, then also deal with the likes of the Sinister Six.

If that's the case, then consider me impressed because that would be a very Spidey thing and a totally unexpected story direction for me. Spider-Man vs. the Sinister Six? Classic, to be sure. Spider-Man saves the Sinister Six? Now that is some top-notch Hero Shit.

I'm also seeing two Doc Ock possibilities here. The first is that he's not helping Spidey so much as cooperating because the two have no conflict and Doc wants to go back to his dimension; helping Spidey gets him home and this Spidey has nothing to do with him, so he's helping out. The second option is maybe that this Doc Ock is the hero in his setting and Spider-Man is the villain; he's after Spidey at first because he thinks he's the villain Spidey, then works with him when he figures it out.

And that bit at the end makes me think we're going to get a massive Spidey storm of various incarnations of himself and his villains as part of the end battle, which could be loads of fun.

Anyway, consider me heavily interested.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I feel like a guy whose initials are pp and who is friends with Dr strange shouldn't be making fun of a guy called otto octavius.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, trailer thoughts
    Doc Ock’s arms seem to have some red and gold…Stark tech upgrades?
    Electro isn’t a Smurf, and one shot has his powers forming his traditional mask. Cool.
    No major changes to OG Goblin?
    The hand reaching for MJ looks to be a 2-tone Spidey glove. But honestly, that’s easy to have in a trailer.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There was a brief shot of Ock's tentacles starting to get red armor. No idea what it really means, but also makes me wonder how much they're going to flirt with the "Superior Spider-Man" idea. I doubt they'll do the whole "Freaky Friday" mind swap, but they'll probably take some inspiration from that whole run or something.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Visskar wrote: »

There's behind the scenes pics showing it off
    it's still Norman, his armor changes through the movie, starts off identical to the Raimi version and then loses pieces and getting patched over, and adds the satchel bomb bag, no helmet n' goggles. Ends up looking halfway between the comic version and ASM2 version.
    There was a brief shot of Ock's tentacles starting to get red armor. No idea what it really means, but also makes me wonder how much they're going to flirt with the "Superior Spider-Man" idea. I doubt they'll do the whole "Freaky Friday" mind swap, but they'll probably take some inspiration from that whole run or something.

I think that's...
    depowering MCU Peter by taking the Iron Spider away. Looks like Ock accidentally absorbs the nanites when he's got Pete restrained.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Funny observation from the Brazil version of the trailer (maybe the US too I haven't checked)

Lizard takes an invisible punch from someone clearly edited out of the trailer.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Funny observation from the Brazil version of the trailer (maybe the US too I haven't checked)

Lizard takes an invisible punch from someone clearly edited out of the trailer.

Image fixed!

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    my reaction to that trailer was

"hell yes"

edit:

spoiler:
    i was getting a very very uhhhhh hannibal lector vibe from doc ock, but it would also rule if they carried through his sort of good/bad vibes from the movie and he was more helpful than harmful.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yo, that new Spider-Man trailer:
    is Doctor Octopus teaming up with Spider-Man to fix the multiverse because he doesn't want to die again?

Because that's waaaay more interesting to me compared to "villains gonna villain"

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Yo, that new Spider-Man trailer:
    is Doctor Octopus teaming up with Spider-Man to fix the multiverse because he doesn't want to die again?

Because that's waaaay more interesting to me compared to "villains gonna villain"

Also seems like a nice way to address
    how bloodthirsty the SM films always are, villains always gotta die.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think that's...
    depowering MCU Peter by taking the Iron Spider away. Looks like Ock accidentally absorbs the nanites when he's got Pete restrained.

If this is actually the case
    it would explain why Doc Ock maybe isn't a villain here. In his movie, the reactor blows out the inhibitor chip that keeps the AI on the arms from feeding back and c controlling him; if the Stark tech nanites merge with his arms, they could've repaired the apparatus and restored Octavius to a rational state.

This discussion has been closed.