As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Pretty sure they captured Doc Ock, he isn't there helping them willingly.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I don't know
    qejygeu4b2j0.png

Doesn't look like he's trapped there. Like, with what, magical glass or something? Seems like he's just standing around.
    edit: maybe spliced together scenes?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I don't know
    qejygeu4b2j0.png

Doesn't look like he's trapped there. Like, with what, magical glass or something? Seems like he's just standing around.
    Looks like the basement Strange used for the memory spell. Could be a magic barrier or something. Maybe that's where Strange keeps his tuna melts safe from Wong.

Or Octavius come along to help and he's just kinda "this is what I'm going to have to work with?" in his thinking at that point.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    its very dumb when they make trailers but digitally take out spoilers. like just dont use that scene in the trailer! it makes an otherwise awesome trailer look dumb in retrospect

Zavian on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Spoilers please

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much of this movie is gonna be flat out action? I cannot begin to guess at the pacing here, but Eternals is making me a little nervous...

Oh brilliant
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I don't know
    qejygeu4b2j0.png

Looks like the basement Strange used for the memory spell. Could be a magic barrier or something. Maybe that's where Strange keeps his tuna melts safe from Wong.

Or Octavius come along to help and he's just kinda "this is what I'm going to have to work with?" in his thinking at that point.
    Doc Ock and Dr. Strange is the teamup I never knew I wanted.

wVEsyIc.png
    Hmmm, rewatching the trailer and pausing on that last frame
    I'm rather convinced that's not MCU Spidey that saves MJ, it's ASM Spidey. Tom's wearing a weird semi metallic looking new suit for that scene, Andrew will presumably just have his old suit, and the hand looks like normal fabric...

Goddamn will that be a nice moment, him getting to save MJ after losing Gwen.

Oh brilliant
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I really don't think I'm going to like this movie because
    Peter is going to sacrifice his chance to go home in order to save all these villains and get stuck in Sony movies. It's like the end of Quantum Leap all over again, only way less hopeful.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I really liked the first two MCU Spider-Man movies so super hyped for the third; the benchmark is Spider-Man 3 for me so not that high a mark to hit

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I was surprised by how much I liked Eternals. It won't end up being one of my favourite MCU films, but I liked the new characters, I enjoyed the history-spanning scope, and there's a weirdness to much of it that is at the same time played straight. (The MCU often downplays what weirdness it has by lampshading it with snark, and while I don't mind that, it was nice not to have that as the default.) I'm genuinely curious to see whether/how they'll tie these characters into the overall MCU, though neither of the credit sequences got more than a "Huh..." from me.

However, what I decidedly didn't like was that the only non-dubbed version we could go and see was in a 4DX cinema, which meant that we were pummeled by water splashes, gusts of wind, rumbling seats etc. I could imagine this working in something more mechanical, like a Star Wars short where you're sitting in a space ship and the special effects increase the sense of being there. With the more organic (for want of a better word) action of Eternals, it was only distracting. My wife was curious about those 4DX shows, but I think that after this one we're quite happy never to go one of them again.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited
    I like the idea of peter and strange being at odds as the real focal point of the movie; that introduces more tension than it just being a re-run of spider-man's greatest hits.

also, I get the sense from the trailer that otto at least will wind up being a relatively friendly character? Which would be a nice twist on his development in the second raimi film.

the falling/catching/dying stuff is tiresome at this point but I'm pretty confident that's just a head fake

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I really don't think I'm going to like this movie because
    Peter is going to sacrifice his chance to go home in order to save all these villains and get stuck in Sony movies. It's like the end of Quantum Leap all over again, only way less hopeful.

I think this too
    although the end of Venom, with the Mysterio footage, shows he came to the MCU, not Spidey ended up in his place.

But I'm starting to think Holland may actually be in danger of dying in this one. You can't save all the bad guys, dies saving the bad guys - other spideys mourn and Miles Morales emerges.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I don't know how I'd feel about this.
    I like the Holland Spider-Man a lot in his supporting parts and in his first film, so I'd miss the character - but Far from Home is towards the bottom of my personal list of MCU favourites, and No Way Home seems to lean into this. If Miles Morales means smaller-scale conflicts, I'd be all for that, but I'd miss these characters.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    No sign of Stilt-Man 0/10.

Saving that for the Daredevil reboot.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Actually, he's the next WandaVision villain

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Naw, he's in the She-Hulk show.
    XFrUyieN1oNUxKAx5T8jxLeVV6Vq2CT7YuUBiEzgVYyrsXl_I4NL7HrygrCuGom7Ys_N8RN54LpX=s1600

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Naw, he's in the She-Hulk show.
    XFrUyieN1oNUxKAx5T8jxLeVV6Vq2CT7YuUBiEzgVYyrsXl_I4NL7HrygrCuGom7Ys_N8RN54LpX=s1600

I really thought that was going to go a whole other direction with more blood.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Three theories about this new movie:
    Andrew Spidey will totally get his redemption by being the one to save MJ. It will allow him to move past his losing Gwen.

The sixth villain to make up the Sinister Six will be Mysterio, who faked his death.

Doc Ock is going to turn on the Six and help the Spidey's try to fix the situation.

It'll be fun to see if I'm right about any of those.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Andrew Spidey will totally get his redemption by being the one to save MJ. It will allow him to move past his losing Gwen.

The sixth villain to make up the Sinister Six will be Mysterio, who faked his death.

Doc Ock is going to turn on the Six and help the Spidey's try to fix the situation.

One twist to a theory of yours I like
    Ock is going to turn on the Six to help Spidey fix the situation...and to survive and return to some timeline to continue his work.

If they decide to keep a separate spidey beyond this movie or if this ultimately merges everyone into the MCU who knows - but I think Ock is sticking around alive somewhere at the end.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Ock is going to turn on the Six to help Spidey fix the situation...and to survive and return to some timeline to continue his work.

If they decide to keep a separate spidey beyond this movie or if this ultimately merges everyone into the MCU who knows - but I think Ock is sticking around alive somewhere at the end.

I like that they're
    picking and choosing the stuff that was good from the other films(Lizard, elements of Electro, Sandman) and ditching what sucked(SM3 Venom, ASM Green Goblin).

Also, if we get Garfield doing his masterclass quips, that'd be wonderful.

wVEsyIc.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Even if Mysterio faked his death, there's no way everyone just forgot to lock out his password for the holo-drones so unless he's got a backup supply of them somewhere that he replaced the firmware on he won't have any mysterio powers. He'd just be a dude in a mo-cap suit.

Now if a Mysterio with actual powers came through an actual portal from another universe and Peter initially treats him like he's a dude with a drone swarm that would be hilarious.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I like that they're
    picking and choosing the stuff that was good from the other films(Lizard, elements of Electro, Sandman) and ditching what sucked(SM3 Venom, ASM Green Goblin).

I hate to be that guy but
    it looks like maybe ASM Green Goblin is in, or maybe Dafoe Goblin has more than one look

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    More trailer thoughts
    So, options for #6:
    Topher Venom
    Hardy Venom
    Mysterio—Campbell version?
    Giamatti Rhino
    Mysterio—MCU version…remember, Beck’s team is still out there, Mysterio could “live” that way.
    MCU Vulture
    MCU Scorpion
    Franco Goblin—not likely
    ASM Goblin—maybe, but why 2 Goblins?
    Anybody else I’m forgetting?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah that trailer was hype as hell.

I really agree with a lot of the theories going around in this thread:
    It absolutely feels like Peter is trying to save the villains, which, yes, is an awesome twist. It seems like that weird cube thing has something to do with it? My first thought was almost like it was maybe a multi-dimensional ghostbusters trap to suck them back to their dimensions to die or whatever :P And I agree that Doc Ock seems like a good guy here.

As for the sixth villain, I'm wondering if it's Venom. I know Sony would LOVE to connect their movies to this and they sorta kinda set it up in the new Venom movie. The Empire cover sorta hinted at this too (but that extra spider may have just been hinting one of the other Spider-men). But I also agree Mysterio and Vulture are good guesses too. If Venom does show up my gut feeling is that it will be like a mid-late movie surprise appearance to throw a wrench into things.

Also, I totally agree that is Andrew Spider-man saving MJ. That was my immediate thought seeing that scene (and I haven't even seen those movies - I wish there were good streaming options -_-). I kinda wonder if they'll do another trailer to ruin the non-surprise or if they will actually try to keep the worst kept secret ever for the movie.

Oh, also, one other thing I think this trailer does is pretty heavily debunk all the "Dr. Strange is evil/Mephisto/someone else" kind of (dumb) theories from the first trailer. I just don't see Mephisto saying "Scooby Doo this shit" :P He was acting weird in the first trailer but I think they just left out some context. He seemed totally fine in this one.

Also also, maybe this is me but I am getting heavy vibes of "Spider-man going to try and sacrifice himself to save the villains" from this. Like, maybe he will die. I'm not sure and I hope not. But I know this is the "end of the trilogy" and all the Sony/Marvel stuff is messy. Could maybe see them trying to introduce Miles Morales as a replacement (like post credits)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I don't think
    Spidey will die, that's a bit too dark for the MCUs currently youngest hero

I don't think
    Maybe not, that's just the vibe I was picking up from the trailer. *shrug* I think an alternate take might be he gives up being Spider-man too.

Or it could be neither of those and I'm just reading things wrong :P I honestly hope I'm wrong because I like Tom Holland Spider-man :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I don't think

More likely he gets
    trapped in the Sonyverse, to crossover with the likes of Venom and Morbius. Truly a fate worse than death.

Oh brilliant
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I like that they're

I hate to be that guy but
    it looks like maybe ASM Green Goblin is in, or maybe Dafoe Goblin has more than one look

It isn't.
    Part of the many leaks that have gone out there is one with the new DeFoe Goblin design where he ditches the helmet and instead wears goggles. Plus the armor has several patches/additions to it and he has added a satchel/bomb bag.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    More trailer thoughts
    So, options for #6:
    Topher Venom
    Hardy Venom
    Mysterio—Campbell version?
    Giamatti Rhino
    Mysterio—MCU version…remember, Beck’s team is still out there, Mysterio could “live” that way.
    MCU Vulture
    MCU Scorpion
    Franco Goblin—not likely
    ASM Goblin—maybe, but why 2 Goblins?
    Anybody else I’m forgetting?

Scorpion is still sitting above the mantle

uH3IcEi.png
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Must be tough to do, with the tail and all.

I don't think

More likely he gets
    trapped in the Sonyverse, to crossover with the likes of Venom and Morbius. Truly a fate worse than death.
    I thought this too until I remembered Venom came here, so unless Venom pops up in this and takes them back together- which is entirely possible- I think they're all stuck on the MCU side.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    eMoander wrote: »
    I finally saw and enjoyed Shang-Chi!
    The part I didn't like was the dad being played as such an evil guy. I mean, he was also in grief and just wanted to see his wife again.

It felt really jarring that Shang-Chi went right to 'I'm going to kill him!' in the prep for the battle, and then immediately went back to 'I'm going to save him!' during the battle. Like I get he wasn't a great father, but it would have been a lot more consistent if they could have built on the reformed guy needs some help to stay on the wagon angle and been a little more sympathetic.
    I overall really enjoyed it, but how quickly the protagonists ruled out the possibility that the father could somehow be correct in the MCU world felt weird. They reference the blip, this is MCU earth a million movies in, yet the heroes refuse to give a second thought that there's a chance that the mother's soul is actually trapped.
    I was the complete opposite. I felt the father could have been stood down with a few simple sentences:

"Yo, what's behind that gate is not, in fact, your wife, it is a colossal multi-dimensional horror. We know, because we put it there many thousands of years ago, which you know because your wife spent her entire lifetime guarding it. You will also know that this colossal multi-dimensional horror whispers to people, pretending to be their loved ones, to try to get them to open this gate. YOU WILL ALSO KNOW THIS BECAUSE YOUR WIFE SPENT HER ENTIRE LIFE PRIOR TO MEETING YOU KILLING THOSE PEOPLE."

End film.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    edited November 2021
    https://youtu.be/f8kex9ZMwMY

I think he's wrong on some of these theories (he keeps insisting Ned will become Hobgoblin) but he notices quite a bit of stuff I didn't catch.
    Also I very much like the theory here that Doc Ock stole the nano bites from the Iron Spider suit over his weird "he worked with Green Goblin to free Vulture to steal them from Stark earlier"

Warlock82 on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    These movies are still being written/guided with help from Marvel and Feige, right? If so I really doubt they would agree to a plot twist where their incredibly popular star is locked away from them in another universe. Even if the agreement between the two companies ends soon.

It actually seems like Marvel and Sony have a good working relationship right now. The only question mark is, will they trot out the money trucks to keep Tom Holland, because his contract is up after this.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    eMoander wrote: »
    I finally saw and enjoyed Shang-Chi!
    The part I didn't like was the dad being played as such an evil guy. I mean, he was also in grief and just wanted to see his wife again.

It felt really jarring that Shang-Chi went right to 'I'm going to kill him!' in the prep for the battle, and then immediately went back to 'I'm going to save him!' during the battle. Like I get he wasn't a great father, but it would have been a lot more consistent if they could have built on the reformed guy needs some help to stay on the wagon angle and been a little more sympathetic.
    I overall really enjoyed it, but how quickly the protagonists ruled out the possibility that the father could somehow be correct in the MCU world felt weird. They reference the blip, this is MCU earth a million movies in, yet the heroes refuse to give a second thought that there's a chance that the mother's soul is actually trapped.
    I was the complete opposite. I felt the father could have been stood down with a few simple sentences:

"Yo, what's behind that gate is not, in fact, your wife, it is a colossal multi-dimensional horror. We know, because we put it there many thousands of years ago, which you know because your wife spent her entire lifetime guarding it. You will also know that this colossal multi-dimensional horror whispers to people, pretending to be their loved ones, to try to get them to open this gate. YOU WILL ALSO KNOW THIS BECAUSE YOUR WIFE SPENT HER ENTIRE LIFE PRIOR TO MEETING YOU KILLING THOSE PEOPLE."

End film.

I mean, that's a great explanation and all, but
    he still would have blindly denied it. He was fixated on the possibility of rescuing his wife. No words would have convinced him to stop.

It actually seems like Marvel and Sony have a good working relationship right now. The only question mark is, will they trot out the money trucks to keep Tom Holland, because his contract is up after this.

And while all of us can't ever imagine turning that amount of money down for any reason, Holland is about to star in Uncharted and who knows what else.

It's entirely possible he's a huge question mark because he's done for awhile with this.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

And while all of us can't ever imagine turning that amount of money down for any reason, Holland is about to star in Uncharted and who knows what else.

It's entirely possible he's a huge question mark because he's done for awhile with this.

Well, not necessarily. Chris Pratt is in just about everything and that's not stopping him from being in GotG 3. And Holland isn't saying "yeah, I'm done."

But of course he, Sony, and Marvel will all have to come up with something they can all agree on if he were to continue.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.