As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah that was the way that we did it.

We didn't force naps. Some days she made it all the way through, and other days she passed out on the floor around 4pm.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Took him shopping this afternoon, was very insistent that I buy potatoes so he can have mashed potatoes.

I see you have raised a cultured man of fine taste.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Basically he's been sleeping like garbage for the last week, after a really long stretch of good sleep, because he won't stop - for lack of a better word - fucking around with his right hand/arm. He will be on his tummy, eyes closed, binky in his mouth, and just reaching and clawing and grasping until he ultimately wakes up. Holding his hand doesn't work - he holds it and then just...fucks around with your hand. Squeezing, changing his grip, grabbing the wrist, back to the hand, ect...

As others have mentioned it sounds like it's just a development thing. As he figures new skills out his brain is just going to randomly fire off the signals to do it as it shuffles the muscle memory into long term storage. We noticed that after each specific "milestone" ours would usually wake up in his cot doing whatever it was that he'd recently figured out. We had sad little wails coming from his room when he rolled over onto his front in his sleep, crawled and bonked his head against the bars whilst asleep, stood up and hadn't figured out "sitting down again", all whilst fast asleep. Before any of that whilst he was developing his Proprioception he'd be fast asleep and reach up, grab his dummy, yank it out of his mouth and then throw it out of the cot. Then he'd be mortally offended that someone had stolen his dummy and understandably very upset.

Who knows though. Kids (brains) are weird.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Oh my god that's exactly what's happening.

He wants his binky, I give him his binky, he violently whips it across the room and then sleepily starts to cry wondering who stole his binky.

Also we tried warming the mattress last night by throwing a towel in the dryer and putting it in the crib 10 minutes before he goes down. I take it out and lay him where it was, and he slept great last night.

May just be coincidence buy thanks all for the suggestions!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Nothing more nefarious than the binky-stealer who snatches it from the baby's mouth with their own hands!
    My daughter would only use a particular brand, and my son never used one. But I hear, if you you can get your kids to use it, that the one attached to a blanket/stuffed animal is harder to throw and easier for the baby to get back in place.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Nothing more nefarious than the binky-stealer who snatches it from the baby's mouth with their own hands!
    My daughter would only use a particular brand, and my son never used one. But I hear, if you you can get your kids to use it, that the one attached to a blanket/stuffed animal is harder to throw and easier for the baby to get back in place.

Our solution to the pacifier throwing issue was to array a halo of pacifiers around Lore so that if she tossed one she would flail around and find a replacement easily enough. It worked fairly well honestly.

Kane Red Robe on
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I’m super glad this conversation is happening because lately my younger one has been kicking out his feet as he’s trying to fall asleep, instead of just resting and allowing himself to be cuddled and drift off he’s trying to launch himself out of my arms… and I couldn’t figure out why he was doing this now, as a new development.

Oh yeah… he’s also learning to walk. Completely unrelated, I’m sure. (/s)

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Last night we switched the boy over from sleep sacks to a blanket, because he is apparently a giant who no longer fits in those.

It was OK, but I feel like the amount he moves, we may need a bigger blanket.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My kid only chucked his pacifier when he was (A) awake and (B) cranky about something. Otherwise, he loved those dang things. We finally just sort of started to phase them out and then they disappeared.

Then again, when he's asleep and comfortable, he stays asleep through the night, has since he was little beyond the middle of the night needs to feed, but within maybe months he was more interested in sleeping through the night then gorging himself on food upon waking. And still, his instant priority in the morning is "food". Followed by "mum" and either "Roku TV" or "computer". All of which sounds like "bood", "mum", "Goku TeeBee", and "combooter" but hey, we're working on the specifics.

Speaking of speech, we're getting actual sentences (sort of)! Like when he wanted a very specific show, and it was "Goku TeeBee Mitty Mouse Ha'oween, peas?" Which the wife is still struggling with his dropped or different letters but was a request for the Mickey Mouse Halloween cartoon he's been watching on repeat for days since Halloween rolled around. Also, he was hanging off the back of my shirt (to try and stop me from moving) last night and I asked him "what do you need from me, buddy?" and he stopped for a moment, then looked at me like he was trying to laser focus a hole in my head and said, "combooter, ubstaiuhs, bud, en bedwoom." Beat one two three as my brain decoded, and then I asked, "is the door closed to the bedroom?" "YES!" was his reply. "And you want me to open it?" "YES!" again. Okay. Let's get this done then.

I'm so very happy he's starting to realize everything he can have with investment in speech.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We had some friends over the other night for dinner on the deck. And it was gently suggested that Ellie might need speech therapy. Her diction isn't the greatest.

And like, sure, I noticed that. But I thought it was just an age thing. I don't have anything else to really compare it to, none of her teachers have ever said anything.

So cue feeling like a failure of a parent (fully aware that this isn't a logical reaction) But now that I'm really listening, yeah.

Yeah she likely does.

Ok. Time to navigate this through Covid stuff.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    We had some friends over the other night for dinner on the deck. And it was gently suggested that Ellie might need speech therapy. Her diction isn't the greatest.

And like, sure, I noticed that. But I thought it was just an age thing. I don't have anything else to really compare it to, none of her teachers have ever said anything.

So cue feeling like a failure of a parent (fully aware that this isn't a logical reaction) But now that I'm really listening, yeah.

Yeah she likely does.

Little King went to a speech therapist for over half a year after the teacher recommended it. We first went to our GP for a referral. It has helped, although I think many kids get over quirks and mispronouncing words on their own given enough time. But why let them struggle on their own when they can get help? The therapist also taught me a lot about how to practice at home and how much I should challenge him.

I do recognize the feeling of failing as a parent: you'll get that feeling more often whenever your kid isn't going to understand what the therapist explains or when the kids doesn't practice as often as you would like it when you hear your child mispronounce a word your have been correcting him on for months.

For reference, Little King his problems were twofold: when he was tired or excited he would stammer on the first word of a sentence (ex: I I I I I I saw Santa Claus at the mall and he had a huge beard) and he would pronounce words starting with sch, sm, st, sl and sn as shl. The latter only with words he already knew, when it was a new word or the name of a dinosaur he would pronounce it correctly. It took him months upon months to understand that he needed to pay closer attention to his pronunciation.

We just always figured that she is just talking so fast that she's a bit slurry. And that's mostly true!

But also I was poorly applying linguistics knowledge that some sounds take longer to develop, and that she'd get there and it's normal.

It's apparently not though and I didn't know any better and none of her teachers said anything. So.

Oh well, one more thing into the pile

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, our son has gone to one since he was 3 off and on to develop his sound formation better. It's pretty common, as I think just in his class there's at least 3-4 others getting help (three classes in his grade)

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I've always thought that Kate had problems, but according to her Pediatrician and Teachers she's fine. She has trouble with some of the sounds but I HAVE noticed that things that DID give her problems before, or no longer a problem. So I guess the people that should know better might actually know better?

@lonelyahava so what I'm saying is, maybe she's fine. I know Ellie is close to Kate's age and Kate just turned 6 last month.

50433.png?1708759015
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The things teachers don't tell you, though. Apparently our eldest, now 9, has near-daily crying breakdowns that sound a lot like anxiety/stress dysregulation. Did we find out from the school he's exiting class to cry in the cloakroom a couple times a week? From triggers as benign as multiple children all talking excitedly at him at once? Because, you know, that never happens in a classroom environment.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    We did our best to have him work with a speech therapist and while there was a small amount of progress it soon stagnated.

I'm not sure if it's just because he's Toby or because some autistic folks learn better on screens but we'd gotten a chromebook to have him be able to do virtual school and when that didn't happen he's just used it, and he learned more and more how to type and what words to type to find what he wanted and then he started learning those words through this mostly undirected exploration of essentially looking for YouTube kids videos (as well as audio feedback and synesthesia videos) that would never have happened in a more structured fashion. Over the amount of time with this exploration his word use has veritably exploded and it's been around 5 months. He's getting better with saying certain letters he just couldn't before, and he's really learning to read very quickly (he'd already exhibited some understanding of reading before this).

And what I'm trying to say here @lonelyahava is that sometimes speech therapy does work, and I'd always suggest it first. But if it doesn't work in the way you're hoping, there's other potential avenues. It's just they're in the weeds, and heavily depend on a willingness to just kind of throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. Like, for example? Trying to make the sounds he's having with my mouth seems to help not at all. But hearing that same sound repeated a hundred times rapid fire on a video sped up to x2? Yeah, that one seems to work as long as the sounds are distinct. :lol:

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Our youngest had a speech therapist for about 6 months. It helped but honestly the best improves we've seen have been independent, like some new part of his brain just switched on.

But now we have to look into his core strength, because apparently he's well below the average. It's always something!

However on the plus side, dude is reading books at an astonishing level all of a sudden, and he hasn't even started year 1. He can read most of the words in the "13 story treehouse" book (a great series for kids 5-10 who like weird and gross humour).

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Our youngest had a speech therapist for about 6 months. It helped but honestly the best improves we've seen have been independent, like some new part of his brain just switched on.

But now we have to look into his core strength, because apparently he's well below the average. It's always something!

However on the plus side, dude is reading books at an astonishing level all of a sudden, and he hasn't even started year 1. He can read most of the words in the "13 story treehouse" book (a great series for kids 5-10 who like weird and gross humour).

I'm expecting Athena to start sporting abs soon because she loves to sit on my shoulders, throw herself backwards to be upside down, then pull herself back up into sitting position.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I just want a whole months were none of us are sick. It feels like we'er stuck in this endless circle of either the little one being sick ore my wife and me, or all at the same time. Of course now that my sinusitis has cleared up little one is running a fever and pointing to her stomach and saying ow. That's the sinusitis I got from (probably) RSV that wife and me got from little one. I think I had more sick days this year than I normally had in 5 years or so.

honovere wrote: »
    I just want a whole months were none of us are sick. It feels like we'er stuck in this endless circle of either the little one being sick ore my wife and me, or all at the same time. Of course now that my sinusitis has cleared up little one is running a fever and pointing to her stomach and saying ow. That's the sinusitis I got from (probably) RSV that wife and me got from little one. I think I had more sick days this year than I normally had in 5 years or so.

It's just utter mayhem after the summer holidays and then fall break. I know you're from the same swamp as I am, so local knowledge: it usually gets a bit better after the winter holidays. I assume that this year will be a lot better because less people will travel abroad to smuggle variant strands of the seasonal flu back home.

So you know, hang in there, it'll get better for a bit. When your kid gets older and continue to hang out with other kids they'll be less likely to pick up every virus under the sun.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Thanks for the encouragment. Feelig under the waether all the time is currently not working so well with the stress of not having found a kindergarden spot fow two years in the row and and going to the whole application and waiting and calling and waiting process again right now is having me at the end of the rope at the moment. I was not ready for that being the most stressful part of having a kid.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Yeah she likely does.

How old is your kid?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Yeah she likely does.

How old is your kid?

She's 5.5 almost 6 in February.

It's not a HUGE thing that i'm worrying about. but being able to understand her a bit better would be.... better.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I feel like we probably have some time to wait, but my son is 3.5 and stutters, but it's like 20% of the time, and he'll get stuck for about 10 seconds in a stutter or pausing, then get the full sentence out. I don't know that our daycare has the education to alert us though.

What are people's thoughts on tv shows with fighting? I already want my kid to watch something more like Cory Carson or Trash Truck that deals with feelings, but that's so often a no-go with him so we watch Paw Patrol or Dino Trux or some other lite trashy show. He really wants to watch stuff like Transformers(not Rescue Bots) that invariably has fighting and I just have a resistance to offering that to him, but I don't know if it's maybe not any worse than watching some other non-violent trashy form of TV.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I feel like the type of show my 5 year old watches really influences his behavior afterwards. Paw Patrol is fine, there's not really fighting there. But something like PJ Masks or a madcap show like Grizzly and the Lemmings and he's bouncing off the damn furniture.

It's very noticeable compared to if he's watching something I'd prefer he watch like Bluey, or Octonauts or Wild Kratts, etc.

I think we need to pay close attention to the media our kids consume and observe the impacts on their behaviour.

:so_raven:
    3,5 can be a bit young for fighting in cartoons, but I wouldn't worry too much if he does watch an episode of Ninjago. I do think there's a difference between fighting but with very clear rules that even the baddies adhere to and fighting that's just violence. IE: difference between Pokemon and Dragonball. The former is just way more child-friendly because even the evilest of of evil bad guys will still only fight via a pokemon battle of some kind.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mostly don't blink an eye at PJ Masks(and haven't noticed an effect) because it's usually not violence against a person, it's tripping up people or objects. Things like transformers Prime or some of the Avengers cartoons have seemed too violent to show him.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Was teaching Athena how to Sumo wrestle a bad idea? MAYBE.

But when someone tries to bully her and gets shitatenage'd it'll all be worth it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure my 5yo's favourite TV show is Heavy Rescue 401. We get a lot of pretend truck jackknifes across multiple lanes of traffic that need clearing before the cold weather system moves in, eh?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Yeah she likely does.

How old is your kid?

It's not a HUGE thing that i'm worrying about. but being able to understand her a bit better would be.... better.

That feels early to be too worried about speech, but I'm no expert.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited November 2021
    Toby:*goofy babbling noises*
    Me: What do you need, bud? Are you hungry? Do you need your computer? Do you need hugs? . . . Do you need to go crazy?
    Toby (thoughtfully questioning): Kaye-see? (then confident statement) Kaye-see.

I mean, at least he knows what he wants, right? And shortly afterwards he started spinning in place until he fell down giggling, so hey he was going with his choice. :lol:

Kalnaur on
    We are trying the first night in actual undies.

Pray for me. Because of she wets the bed, she's going to think she's a failure and I'll never get to stop buying diapers

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Good luck!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sapling is getting into pokemon, and waiting until she is old enough to play the Pokemon games with is torture. When did any of you start playing the Pokemon games with your little ones?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    IDK, the kid played Platinum for a while when he was 4 after he watched me play. It's impressive how much they can memorize at this age. It didn't hold his attention and he couldn't make any tactical decisions, so it was mostly about just being in a different world full of cool monsters. I always tell him he needs to be able to read and do a bit of math before he can play those games.

--

The kid plays korfbal (which is like field basketball) and it's usually outside, but for the winter they play in a hall and I'm worried about Corona. We're in the middle of a crazy 4th wave and I'd rather not be inside with other people if I can help it. I do notice that Little King gets a lot of enjoyment out of playing a sport. I don't want to take this away from him, he has already missed so much due to the 'rona. I really hope next week it will be quieter in the hall, but this is just a big shitshow.

• exisexis Registered User regular

Yeah she likely does.

How old is your kid?

You're probably all over this but I mentioned this to my wife (ex-speech therapist). Her recommendation is to talk to your GP about a referral, or to the school who should be able to engage with speechies from MoE, depending on severity. Then there's private (https://speechtherapy.org.nz/find-a-therapist/) which can be great but obviously more expensive, so her suggestion is to try public first and only look at private if you can't get what you need publicly.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Sapling is getting into pokemon, and waiting until she is old enough to play the Pokemon games with is torture. When did any of you start playing the Pokemon games with your little ones?

Kate likes Pokemon and we did get her the Pokemon for switch the Evee or Pikachu one. The problem being that she can't read yet, means I need to sit there and read for her which gets old fast.

tl;dr - we're waiting for Kate's reading ability to progress further before playing more pokemon.

50433.png?1708759015
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Brody wrote: »

He can throw Pokeballs at things in Pokemon Go.

You won't have any in game currency left over though.
    Just feeding poffins straight to the buddy Pokemon.

He's also helped me tap buttons in Pokemon Unite against bots in friendly matches.
    And taken a lot of pictures of apples in New Pokemon Snap

discrider on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Tiny human moved to one nap over the weekend.
    I may die.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    They want to start my daughter on a new medication, but it can cause other reactions to intensify.

Why the fuck is an EpiPen $150 with insurance I fucking hate this country.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter