As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    I got a Mac for work, back to it after many years. It's very weird how everything looks retro to me but it's actually just Apple design stuff.

I've got a question: I have a little USB adapter for my extra monitor setup, it worked fine with my old company's Thinkpad. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-MacBook-Reader-Power-Pass-Through/dp/B07MP9P6B7/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07MP9P6B7&psc=1 with the VGA for my very old third monitor.

Connecting that to the Mac laptop I have two results:
    - Both monitors (VGA + HDMI) plugged in: both extra monitors display the exact same thing, the laptop itself doesn't. Only one monitor's preferences window opens up (in addition to the laptop's screen) when looking at Display Preferences.
    - Only one monitor plugged in, either VGA or HDMI: that monitor displays, that monitor's preferences window opens in System Preferences.

I'm probably going to wind up just buying another danged adapter for this weird USB-only brick but is there something clever I can do here? I have to imagine other people have had this problem.

On the plus side the laptop's screen looks really nice!

With your username and picture, how can you not be a Mac user? FROG BLAST THE VENT CORE!

Also, which Mac do you have? The first gen M1s won't support more than one external display without some skullduggery.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So, speaking of skullduggery, two USB-C ports are not enough for all my crap. I'm looking at hubs on Amazon, and there are some fairly wild price swings between hubs.

The Hogore 8-in-1 has 4K HDMI, 4 USB 3.0 ports, an Ethernet jack, SD slots, and power delivery. $35.
    The Belkin Dual Display dock has TWO HDMI ports (DisplayLink), 3 USB 2.0 ports, power delivery, ethernet, and an audio jack. MSRP $160.

Is the extra HDMI port and the audio jack worth $125? Does DisplayLink support really cost that much? Even this cheaper Belkin 6-in-1 adapter with fewer ports costs twice as much! Is there some basic difference in quality I'm missing here?

Frem on
    Frem wrote: »
    So, speaking of skullduggery, two USB-C ports are not enough for all my crap. I'm looking at hubs on Amazon, and there are some fairly wild price swings between hubs.

The Hogore 8-in-1 has 4K HDMI, 4 USB 3.0 ports, an Ethernet jack, SD slots, and power delivery. $35.
    The Belkin Dual Display dock has TWO HDMI ports (DisplayLink), 3 USB 2.0 ports, power delivery, ethernet, and an audio jack. MSRP $160.

Is the extra HDMI port and the audio jack worth $125? Does DisplayLink support really cost that much? Even this cheaper Belkin 6-in-1 adapter with fewer ports costs twice as much! Is there some basic difference in quality I'm missing here?

Isn't DisplayLink some sort of OS-side compression scheme for shipping video over USB? I don't see the need for it if you have real HDMI displays. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to argue with the price of the Hogore. Note, though, that it's not a real Thunderbolt hub. It's capped at whatever USB-C's max bandwidth is across all its ports.

If you want to preserve your ability to plug in more TB devices, you'll probably want a real TB3 hub. CalDigit and OWC both make a variety of them, and Wirecutter says that Monoprice makes a nice one that's a bit cheaper than the others.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2021
    Also make sure that "4k HDMI" actually means "more than 30 Hz", because a lot of stuff settles at that.

I wouldn't expect that first dongle to do more than 30 Hz.

edit:
    Support resolution up to 4K@30Hz, 1080@60Hz (Backward compatible).

Echo on
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    htm wrote: »
    Isn't DisplayLink some sort of OS-side compression scheme for shipping video over USB? I don't see the need for it if you have real HDMI displays.

DisplayLink is horrid black magic that has no reason to exist in a world of USB-C and Thunderbolt. We're using DisplayLink docks at work, and they're an ongoing disaster. You need drivers, it's slow (bad on 4k, near unusable on dual-4k), it's buggy, and on a Mac it works via screen-capture which breaks various things (e.g. unlock via Watch).

Mostly Harmless on
    The main reason I’d want something with DisplayLink is because the M1 MacBook Air is incapable of extending the desktop across more than one external monitor. It worked alright with a 1080p display last I tried it with my work machine? But yeah, it is jank from a technical perspective; proper 4K support is probably better for futureproofing.

Good call on the USB-C bandwidth bottleneck. I was thinking about plugging in an external hard drive enclosure at some point; sounds like I’d definitely want a proper dock for that.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Noob(ish) question again: I seem to have either 1) from the login screen - entered in a set of keystrokes that reset my login session, or 2) had some non-reset reset of the system even though I have auto-updates explicitly turned off

Results of last reboot
    {host-name}:~ {user-name}$ last reboot
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 21:15
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 20:36
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 19:48

wtmp begins Tue Sep 14 19:48

The effect was that when I logged in the session was completely restarted, and all applications were restarted as well. This means I lost all of my browser tabs (don't hate, I like tabs)

The question is this:

Is there such a keystroke combination from #1?

If not, what's the best way to comb logs (is this shit just in /var/logs?) from a previous MacOS login session to see what might have happened (e.g., with the suspicion being one of the apps might have crashed the session causing the OS to restart it)?

Noob(ish) question again: I seem to have either 1) from the login screen - entered in a set of keystrokes that reset my login session, or 2) had some non-reset reset of the system even though I have auto-updates explicitly turned off

Results of last reboot
    {host-name}:~ {user-name}$ last reboot
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 21:15
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 20:36
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 19:48

wtmp begins Tue Sep 14 19:48

The effect was that when I logged in the session was completely restarted, and all applications were restarted as well. This means I lost all of my browser tabs (don't hate, I like tabs)

The question is this:

Is there such a keystroke combination from #1?

If not, what's the best way to comb logs (is this shit just in /var/logs?) from a previous MacOS login session to see what might have happened (e.g., with the suspicion being one of the apps might have crashed the session causing the OS to restart it)?

Ctrl-cmd-power button is the traditional Mac reboot key combo.

Console, which is in /Applications/Utilities, will let you browse and search system logs.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    “I mean what they gonna do? Tape 2 M1 Max chips together?…”

I mean they have literally made my dream machine in the Mac Studio. Time to rob a bank.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So is anyone else been thinking “wait, why hasn’t anyone ever done this before?” It seems really obvious to integrate an ultra-high-bandwidth bus right onto the chip and literally conjoin two into a single unit post-fabrication. In fact I’m pretty sure I daydreamed something like that when the first consumer dual core chips started coming out….

So yeah, why not? Thermals? Too hard to make a reliable interconnection? IDGI

Also, anyone wanna bet the next Mac Pro uses an M1 Ultra² which is four Max chips arranged around a 4-way interconnect bus, possibly with a little A15 B in the middle to manage traffic?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So is anyone else been thinking “wait, why hasn’t anyone ever done this before?” It seems really obvious to integrate an ultra-high-bandwidth bus right onto the chip and literally conjoin two into a single unit post-fabrication. In fact I’m pretty sure I daydreamed something like that when the first consumer dual core chips started coming out….

So yeah, why not? Thermals? Too hard to make a reliable interconnection? IDGI

Also, anyone wanna bet the next Mac Pro uses an M1 Ultra² which is four Max chips arranged around a 4-way interconnect bus, possibly with a little A15 B in the middle to manage traffic?

As far as I've understood it, it's an economics issue. Traditional CPU makers are making the chips as a product, so making small chips that increase the yield from a wafer is more efficient than creating larger chips that yield less. Being a product, the chips can only go so big because they need to slot into motherboards that traditional CPU makers typically also don't manufacture, and because of the modular nature of the customer base that those CPUs are servicing, changing the sizes of chips will obsolete existing motherboards, which makes PCMR folk very angry. There's just not enough space currently on CPU sockets to fit both a powerful CPU and a powerful GPU, especially since x86 chips are currently less power efficient than ARM chips.

Apple doesn't have that issue, since they're only making chips for one customer: themselves. Apple doesn't sell motherboards, so they can change the size of the die however they wish between generations because there's no modular community to piss off. They can make super huge SoCs that require their own custom cooling solutions, and they have.

There are pros and cons to either approach of creating modular parts vs. singular SoCs, and you're seeing the fruits of maximizing the pros on either end of that spectrum.

And for your last point, it may still be incoming. Early M1x rumors pointed to a chip that had 10 CPU and 32 GPU cores (which became the M1 Max), a chopped version that took out half the GPU cores (became the M1 Pro), a doubled version with 20 CPU and 64 GPU cores (M1 Ultra), and a quadrupled version with 40 total CPU and 128 total GPU cores (M1 Max Ultra?). Even if the last part doesn't happen, Apple will already have done a very smart thing in manufacturing: creating 1 SKU and chopping it up in various ways to serve a whole spectrum of product needs. And this is just their gen 1 proof of concept product; who knows what's in their SoC pipeline for the next 5 years?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So I canceled my M1 Max MacBook Pro order today. I'm pretty miffed at Apple. I get that we're in a chip shortage but the way they've handled my Mac shipment has felt kind of crappy and makes me think I was being intentionally mislead. I ordered it in early January with an early March delivery date. Great. A week before the original ship date it gets kicked out to late early. Hey delays happen, it's a chip shortage, etc. A week before it's meant to ship again it gets kicked out to May. Not great, starting to give a bit of side eye now, but I'll manage. Today, a week before it's supposed to ship, I get a notice that it's been pushed out to July. No thanks.

If they had told me in January it might not ship until July I might've still ordered it but now I just feel mislead. No way a company as big as Apple, as slick as their operations are, has such bad inventory and production management they couldn't have had a better initial guess at my ship date when I ordered the thing.

Not that Apple cares one iota if they lose one MacBook sale, I just needed to vent a little. First and only time I've been truly frustrated with Apple's customer service despite my family being an "Apple family" in terms of our devices and having plenty of interactions with them.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I canceled my M1 Max MacBook Pro order today. I'm pretty miffed at Apple. I get that we're in a chip shortage but the way they've handled my Mac shipment has felt kind of crappy and makes me think I was being intentionally mislead. I ordered it in early January with an early March delivery date. Great. A week before the original ship date it gets kicked out to late early. Hey delays happen, it's a chip shortage, etc. A week before it's meant to ship again it gets kicked out to May. Not great, starting to give a bit of side eye now, but I'll manage. Today, a week before it's supposed to ship, I get a notice that it's been pushed out to July. No thanks.

If they had told me in January it might not ship until July I might've still ordered it but now I just feel mislead. No way a company as big as Apple, as slick as their operations are, has such bad inventory and production management they couldn't have had a better initial guess at my ship date when I ordered the thing.

Not that Apple cares one iota if they lose one MacBook sale, I just needed to vent a little. First and only time I've been truly frustrated with Apple's customer service despite my family being an "Apple family" in terms of our devices and having plenty of interactions with them.

There’s only 1 production factory that makes the high end Mac laptops. I think it’s Quanta Computing. Anyhow, the factory has had to close operations for a while now with Shanghai being in Covid lockdown for time and has had limited operations going on only recently. I do agree though, that Apple as a company should have had some form of contingency plan around this as they have had a few years to plan for this scenario.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the info, that's good know. At this point I don't need a new MacBook, I have a decent later gen Intel one. I just wanted a new M1 to play with. I'll just wait for the next refresh most likely at this point. Hopefully by then production has gotten to a point where shipping times are reasonable.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Thanks for the info, that's good know. At this point I don't need a new MacBook, I have a decent later gen Intel one. I just wanted a new M1 to play with. I'll just wait for the next refresh most likely at this point. Hopefully by then production has gotten to a point where shipping times are reasonable.

If you don’t mind the M1 Pro chipset, there are refurb MacBook Pro’s available now through Apple.

Ziggymon wrote: »

There’s only 1 production factory that makes the high end Mac laptops. I think it’s Quanta Computing. Anyhow, the factory has had to close operations for a while now with Shanghai being in Covid lockdown for time and has had limited operations going on only recently. I do agree though, that Apple as a company should have had some form of contingency plan around this as they have had a few years to plan for this scenario.

The Quanta factory is not merely locked down, its workers are rioting and trying to escape. The Chinese lockdowns are nuts and Quanta management seems to be making them even more miserable.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what's more horrible, the working conditions at apple's factories, or the smug tone with which that article writer implies China's government just needs to grow up by giving up on disease control measures like the west has done

BahamutZERO.gif
    Anyone else excited about the WWCD Metal 3 announcements? It looks like it's bringing most of the major missing GPU capabilities that macOS was missing for parity with Vulkan and DirectX 12. This should finally make it technically possible for CrossOver and Parallels to run DirectX 12 games in future releases.

Gaming on Mac is such a chicken and egg problem. It would take a monstrous investment on the part of Apple in order to bring Mac gaming up to the par of what PC gamers would expect. But where would the impetus of that come from? From Apple's viewpoint, they already dominate mobile gaming, which is a much more profitable sector than traditional desktop gaming. From a game developer viewpoint, Mac gaming is so small that compiling, porting, and supporting their PC games is also not financially worth it. You can use the "simultaneously launch your game on MacOS and iOS" angle, but there also exists the barrier of remapping your game's controls to a touch UI from a keyboard/mouse and/or controller UI.

The games won't exist until the market justifies their existence, but there can be no market without the games.

Games like Baldur's Gate III, No Man's Sky, and Resident Evil: Village give me hope, but realistically I'm not seeing Mac gaming becoming viable just yet.

edited June 2022
    KPC wrote: »
    From a game developer viewpoint, Mac gaming is so small that compiling, porting, and supporting their PC games is also not financially worth it. You can use the "simultaneously launch your game on MacOS and iOS" angle, but there also exists the barrier of remapping your game's controls to a touch UI from a keyboard/mouse and/or controller UI.

The games won't exist until the market justifies their existence, but there can be no market without the games.

Mobile will always be Apple's gaming priority, but Steam and EGS and even itch.io exist on macOS, so someone is making money selling Mac games. Obviously, as a market, Mac gaming is never going to be as big as Windows, but I think it already punches above its weight. Not only are the biggest game stores there, but there's native macOS versions of Unity and UnrealEngine, too.

The Metal 3 stuff is nice because it moves macOS (and iOS) closer to feature parity with DX12. It will allow the existing ecosystem of Windows->macOS porting layers and cross-platform game engines to keep up with the state of the art. Not sure if it will trigger any sort of surge of new game ports to macOS, but it ought to maintain the status quo. And in absolute terms, right now is the golden age of macOS gaming. There are more games now that run on Mac (both from the PC and mobile worlds) than there ever have been before.

What probably will eventually trigger a surge of Windows->Mac ports is the increasing GPU power of Apple's M-series chips. Until the M1, RX 580ish class GPU performance was high-end for Macs, and median GPU performance was probably only slightly better than a recent vintage Intel mobile iGPU. M-class GPUs are a huge jump in GPU performance, especially considering that the "typical" Mac is a laptop. It will take a few more years, but once the Mac market reaches the point where the average Mac can be assumed to have an M-series GPU, the market for GPU-intensive Mac games will look much more appealing.

htm on
    From a game developer viewpoint, Mac gaming is so small that compiling, porting, and supporting their PC games is also not financially worth it. You can use the "simultaneously launch your game on MacOS and iOS" angle, but there also exists the barrier of remapping your game's controls to a touch UI from a keyboard/mouse and/or controller UI.

Mobile will always be Apple's gaming priority, but Steam and EGS and even itch.io exist on macOS, so someone is making money selling Mac games. Obviously, as a market, Mac gaming is never going to be as big as Windows, but I think it already punches above its weight. Not only are the biggest game stores there, but there's native macOS versions of Unity and UnrealEngine, too.

The Metal 3 stuff is nice because it moves macOS (and iOS) closer to feature parity with DX12. It will allow the existing ecosystem of Windows->macOS porting layers and cross-platform game engines to keep up with the state of the art. Not sure if it will trigger any sort of surge of new game ports to macOS, but it ought to maintain the status quo. And in absolute terms, right now is the golden age of macOS gaming. There are more games now that run on Mac (both from the PC and mobile worlds) than there ever have been before.

What probably will eventually trigger a surge of Windows->Mac ports is the increasing GPU power of Apple's M-series chips. Until the M1, RX 580ish class GPU performance was high-end for Macs, and median GPU performance was probably only slightly better than a recent vintage Intel mobile iGPU. M-class GPUs are a huge jump in GPU performance, especially considering that the "typical" Mac is a laptop. It will take a few more years, but once the Mac market reaches the point where the average Mac can be assumed to have an M-series GPU, the market for GPU-intensive Mac games will look much more appealing.

I feel like that would be the 2nd to best case scenario. I still don't think the profit motive exists for devs to make the leap to making their games Mac-compatible.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Steam still doesn't have an M1 native client (although they support M1 games at least), so it feels almost like a dead end. In an alternate universe Steam would be bringing proton over to let Mac run windows games, but Valve abandoning both Vulkan and x86 make that a pipe dream. EGS exists almost purely on fortnite and it seems to be the portal for unreal engine tools.

I have an M1 air and it doesn't feel particularly impressive at gaming in terms of 3D graphics, even for M1 native games. Reviewers haven't been kind to the pro versions either, which are so highly parallelized to be more suitable for rendering. Their big feature announcement was an upscaling solution to make up for anemic rendering power. (maybe something that can be more parallellized on the pro GPUs at least.)

It's also a bit depressing how many devs disable mobile games from running on M1. Why the heck can't I run Diablo Immortal for instance. I imagine many of them don't want to deal with mouse support so this seems like it's going to be a major issue unless apple gets into touchscreen laptops, which they've resisted since it became an industry trend on the PC side.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    On the other hand there are things like GeForce Now. I’ve used the M1 Air for gaming a looooot when we’ve been away from home (roughly a third of 2021/2022) that way.

I know that doesn’t say anything about Mac’s native gaming performance. But those services do exist now and will likely keep getting better. Nobody’s said a word about GFN in two years but it does work exactly as it should and is almost free.

PSN: Honkalot
    edited June 2022
    I feel like that would be the 2nd to best case scenario. I still don't think the profit motive exists for devs to make the leap to making their games Mac-compatible.

There's over 1000 Mac titles on Steam, and there's macOS versions of Unity and UE. None of those would exist if developers weren't profiting.
    Steam still doesn't have an M1 native client (although they support M1 games at least), so it feels almost like a dead end. In an alternate universe Steam would be bringing proton over to let Mac run windows games, but Valve abandoning both Vulkan and x86 make that a pipe dream. EGS exists almost purely on fortnite and it seems to be the portal for unreal engine tools.

I have an M1 air and it doesn't feel particularly impressive at gaming in terms of 3D graphics, even for M1 native games. Reviewers haven't been kind to the pro versions either, which are so highly parallelized to be more suitable for rendering. Their big feature announcement was an upscaling solution to make up for anemic rendering power. (maybe something that can be more parallellized on the pro GPUs at least.)

I think it's dumb that Steam hasn't flipped the Apple Silicon switch for their client app yet, but... it runs fine on M1 with Rosetta. I'm sure they'll get around to shipping an M1 version eventually. And yeah, the basic M1 isn't a 3090 or anything (nor is a Mac Studio), but it's way better than the pre-M1 iGPUs that were standard in MBAs, and most MBPs and iMacs. And the biggest feature (in terms of porting games from Windows to Mac) in Metal 3 is probably what Apple calls mesh shaders and the rest of the world calls geometry shaders. Lack of geometry shaders is possibly the biggest compatibility issue with moving DX12 and Vulkan games to Metal.

I'm not saying the Mac gaming market is going to explode over night, just that there's more Mac games right now than people realize and in two or three years there will be more still. There might be a lull for the next little while because Intel Macs have dominant marketshare even though Apple Silicon is the future, but that won't last forever. Apple Silicon is going to take over as the median Mac CPU/GPU architecture and Metal 3 will do away with some significant technical obstacles to porting from DX12/Vulkan. I think a cautiously optimistic but realistic possibility is that a few more AAA titles make it to macOS every year, and the selection of indie/Unity titles available on macOS increases significantly.

htm on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

It's also a bit depressing how many devs disable mobile games from running on M1. Why the heck can't I run Diablo Immortal for instance. I imagine many of them don't want to deal with mouse support so this seems like it's going to be a major issue unless apple gets into touchscreen laptops, which they've resisted since it became an industry trend on the PC side.

Ooh a thing I know!

iOS -> MacOS is actually both kind of easy and really really hard. Your entire UI paradigm is different, as it should be. You nailed touch vs mouse, but "windows that can move" isn't a thing on a phone, really, for instance. Just all those little things that make "desktop app" vs "mobile app", and it's a non-trivial lift even on the best of days to get it looking proper and feeling like it belongs on the platform. (It's worse than those PC ports of a console game where everything is blatantly unchanged.)

Basically everyone wants to near as I can tell, because hell, new thing to play with at work, but it's a dev commitment that needs to be weighed against everything else those few people could be doing. You can get it running in a day or three, sure, but to make it look good... More.

dporowski wrote: »
    iOS -> MacOS is actually both kind of easy and really really hard. Your entire UI paradigm is different, as it should be. You nailed touch vs mouse, but "windows that can move" isn't a thing on a phone, really, for instance. Just all those little things that make "desktop app" vs "mobile app", and it's a non-trivial lift even on the best of days to get it looking proper and feeling like it belongs on the platform. (It's worse than those PC ports of a console game where everything is blatantly unchanged.)

Too bad I have the 2020 non-M1 iPad, I'd really like to try that new iPadOS window management thing.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »

Too bad I have the 2020 non-M1 iPad, I'd really like to try that new iPadOS window management thing.

If I wasn't so dependent on my iPad Pro in my workflow, I would have upgraded to dev beta 1.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The weird thing about the M1 requirement for the Stage Manager feature on iPad OS is that it isn't because of sheer processing power. Apparently it is because the feature needs the virtual/swap memory to work, and for some reason that can't be done on the A series processor. considering virtual/swap memory a software feature, not a hardware feature, that confuses me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    @Tumin 👍

can you feel the struggle within?
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Tumin 👍

???

???

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Tumin wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    Tumin 👍

???

???

You joined my mini crossword leaderboard. Or someone ELSE named Tumin did

Edit

And I did this on my iOS device so this is relevant shut up

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    sir this is a wendys

wunderbar wrote: »
    The weird thing about the M1 requirement for the Stage Manager feature on iPad OS is that it isn't because of sheer processing power. Apparently it is because the feature needs the virtual/swap memory to work, and for some reason that can't be done on the A series processor. considering virtual/swap memory a software feature, not a hardware feature, that confuses me.

That seems weird to me. Virtual memory isn't rocket surgery and the internal SSDs of the A-series iPads are plenty fast. Maybe the A-series is just totally missing any sort of DMA? But that'd be weird. DMA has been a basic CPU feature for like... 30 years, at least.

That seems weird to me. Virtual memory isn't rocket surgery and the internal SSDs of the A-series iPads are plenty fast. Maybe the A-series is just totally missing any sort of DMA? But that'd be weird. DMA has been a basic CPU feature for like... 30 years, at least.

Yeah, I mean in theory iOS devices have never supported memory swap files so it is *possible* that the A Series processors are designed in a way that it just can't work, or likely can't work in a way Apple would be satisifed with. a quick read shows that Apple Silicon macs use some kind of special sauce to manage DMA in an allegedly more secure fashion. that's probably something baked into hardware on M1 that A14 doesn't have.

So it isn't like Apple couldn't do it if they chose to, since you can you know, just do it in software. But I will bet that the unique architecture of the M1's memory controller is different enough that they can't do it the same way on A series as they do on M series, so they're just choosing not to do it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    So my kid spilled some bubbles mix on my M1 13" 2020. Screen has this permanent rainbow effect and the keyboard is doing some serious ghost typing.

Work is going to send me a replacement for the time being but I can also just order a new one.

I saw the M2 13" but I wanted to move over to the newer form factor and grab a 14". Are there M2 variants of that coming anytime soon or just go ahead and order the 14"?

Dixon wrote: »
    So my kid spilled some bubbles mix on my M1 13" 2020. Screen has this permanent rainbow effect and the keyboard is doing some serious ghost typing.

Work is going to send me a replacement for the time being but I can also just order a new one.

I saw the M2 13" but I wanted to move over to the newer form factor and grab a 14". Are there M2 variants of that coming anytime soon or just go ahead and order the 14"?

if they announce anything this year it'll be in the fall. The M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook pros were announced at the end of October 2021.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dixon wrote: »

if they announce anything this year it'll be in the fall. The M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook pros were announced at the end of October 2021.

M2 Airs are coming out next month.

An M2 Pro or M2 Max or M2 Ultra are all 5-12 months away at this point.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Just saw this article related to the MacBook Pro SSD. Depending on ultimate use case it might not be a big deal, but it looks like the M2 13" MBP has a single channel/bus SSD instead of a dual channel/bus, so took the obvious hit in performance. Right now there's no data on the Air.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/26/base-m2-13-inch-macbook-pro-slower-ssd-speeds/

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/27/23184515/apple-macbook-pro-m2-slow-ssd-speeds

It sounds like they cheaped out on the ssds on the low end m2 machines

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/27/23184515/apple-macbook-pro-m2-slow-ssd-speeds

It sounds like they cheaped out on the ssds on the low end m2 machines

I'd like to see some real world tests on this to see if it's even worth worrying about. It may be imperceptible in everyday use.

Synthetic storage tests are usually irrelevant for everyday users.

jungleroomx on