As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    user wrote: »
    How are MT3 keycaps? I managed (quite unexpectedly) to get used to SA on one of my Keebs -- but I'm curious if MT3 is as thick.

Super nice. They’re basically a slightly lower profile SA. I’m a big fan of them. And some of them even come with alternate flatter bottom row caps which some people really like.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know. I'm basic. But hey, got to jump in somewhere to find out what you like and what you don't.
    Just a GMMK Pro with their Aura caps and some Boba U4 switches.

163wyolfnlsl.jpg

Number One Tricky
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Read that first as "Bofa" switches and honestly, someone does need to make a line, Linear is "Ligma", Clicky blues are "Sugma", tactiles are "Bofa". Then you just write a bot to look on twitter and discord for people getting got and it goes "GOTTEM!" and has a link.

Also very pretty board!

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Because what I really need to do is drop $200 on a new keyboard, I've been looking at the Mountain Everest Max keyboard.

https://us-mountainggshop.com/products/everest-max

I like that it's metal bodied and hot swappable, the number pad is detachable but when attached its a legitimate 100% keyboard, and I like the screen on the media display dial.

On the other hand, I don't know much about the brand and its $200 (on sale) when I've already got several great mechanical keyboard (Mistel X-VIII for work, Ducky Shine 7 for personal PC, Ducky One TKL in a box and not even being used).

Anyone familiar with the brand or have any thoughts? The price seems fine for what it is, and the media screen is a pretty good gimmick.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Because what I really need to do is drop $200 on a new keyboard, I've been looking at the Mountain Everest Max keyboard.

https://us-mountainggshop.com/products/everest-max

I like that it's metal bodied and hot swappable, the number pad is detachable but when attached its a legitimate 100% keyboard, and I like the screen on the media display dial.

On the other hand, I don't know much about the brand and its $200 (on sale) when I've already got several great mechanical keyboard (Mistel X-VIII for work, Ducky Shine 7 for personal PC, Ducky One TKL in a box and not even being used).

Anyone familiar with the brand or have any thoughts? The price seems fine for what it is, and the media screen is a pretty good gimmick.

No personal experience, but it got a pretty positive review from BadSeedTech, who I generally trust pretty well on peripheral reviews.

minor incident on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Cormac wrote: »
    Oh man I'm tempted to buy that WoB set. I ended up switching from the MT3 to a Cherry profile WoB set because while the MT3 profile felt really nice I didn't find it as nice to type on as the Cherry profile. Something in-between that's not as high profile but still cups my finger tips would be ideal.

Honestly, this ASA set from Akko fits that bill perfectly. About midway between something like MT3 and OEM/Cherry.

Months later I finally bought the set. If anyone else also wants to try them Amazon (and on Aliexpress) has them on sale for Black Friday https://www.amazon.com/EPOMAKER-Profile-Mechanical-Keyboard-Compatible/dp/B09G6DJN3B?th=1

I was going to get them on Aliexpress but Amazon had them in stock and can be delivered weeks before Aliexpress.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm weak and I have play money budgeted.

Picked up the Fire celestial keys, 2 cables, and a lube brush from GMK. I plan to lube the stabs of my work keyboard to see if that helps with sound.

Also have a lube kit in my cart on Amazon

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    GMK or Glorious? I'm guessing the latter. Choosing GMMK as the name for their boards really confuses things.

Sorry. Glorious

Didn't like the OEM profile. Trying some NP profile caps.

Number One Tricky
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I have lubed tealios which I love and I'm not sure how I'll go to another switch...

also goddamn this is awesome https://drop.com/buy/drop-the-lord-of-the-rings-mt3-elvish-keycap-set
    nlum1yu2qh5x.png

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I like a lot about those keycaps, except the colors.

Oh hey, I might as well show off the keyboard related stuff I’ve been designing lately.

6fp6dy9sd19w.jpeg
    y8qsik6nkjrm.jpeg
    dzakom88w7g8.jpeg

I have lubed tealios which I love and I'm not sure how I'll go to another switch...

also goddamn this is awesome https://drop.com/buy/drop-the-lord-of-the-rings-mt3-elvish-keycap-set
    nlum1yu2qh5x.png

I ordered the hardcore Dwarvish set (and Smaug rest). Looking for a desk pad that will really tie it all together though.

Number One Tricky
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I want a key that is explicitly for stabbing. I assume that is Sting over there.

edited December 2021
    Having sting be shine-through backlit would have been a neat touch.

Since I’m an Orc.

minor incident on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I know we're all big boys and gals with our metal keyboards and custom everything but Ducky put out the One 3 series and it's got some really cool colorways.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I did a tape mod and added some polyester filling to my Q1 and wow is the sound so much better.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    I want a key that is explicitly for stabbing.

qzrds5wb8ke0.png

?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Does anyone have experience with IDOBAO's kits?

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    God, so tempting.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I didn't even look at the price and I know it costs too much for a physical shit post.

I'm so tempted to use my Keycap club discount on that set.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular

What is this mythical club you speak of.

https://drop.com/keyboardclub

Basically you pay Drop a membership fee (I think it was $59 for the year), and every month you get a random discount you can use on anything in their keyboard section that ranges from $20 to $100. Last month I got a $20 discount, and this month I got a $50, so it's already recouped its cost.

https://drop.com/keyboardclub

Basically you pay Drop a membership fee (I think it was $59 for the year), and every month you get a random discount you can use on anything in their keyboard section that ranges from $20 to $100. Last month I got a $20 discount, and this month I got a $50, so it's already recouped its cost.

That is awesome, and so are you!

They also do a bunch of random giveaways for keycaps and samples and stuff for keyboard club members, which is pretty cool.

I got new caps for my work keyboard. I added o-rings to help dampen the thock for my coworkers but I hate it. Also my J key isn't working right.

This weekend I'm going to try adding some liquid latex on the contact area of the caps where the o-ring would normally sit. I have an extra brush from a lube kit I bought before the holiday.

Is this an exercise in futility?

• useruser Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I got new caps for my work keyboard. I added o-rings to help dampen the thock for my coworkers but I hate it. Also my J key isn't working right.

This weekend I'm going to try adding some liquid latex on the contact area of the caps where the o-ring would normally sit. I have an extra brush from a lube kit I bought before the holiday.

Is this an exercise in futility?

If you really want to be a good work-mate and your co-workers find the sound of mechanical keys to be a pet-peeve then, well silent switches exist for exactly that reason.

I'm using lubed linear switches. It's when the keys hit the switch mounting plate. I tried a foam pad at one point but it was too thick to fit

• useruser Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm using lubed linear switches. It's when the keys hit the switch mounting plate. I tried a foam pad at one point but it was too thick to fit

If I'm understanding the keeb you have, the GMMK TKL, it has hotswap sockets -- and so if you want a quieter typing experience you can opt for silent switches. There's silent linears like Bobagums and Silent Alpacas.

If you're on the money about it being the plate, well you may well be SOL, because that's not a modular component in the board. But there are some inexpensive things to try that may help mitigate the sound -- for one a deskmat and another idea is to open up the case and put in some foam or poly-fill.

edited January 2022
    Got some MT3 keycaps. Though now the spacebar sticks, which people seem to attribute to a warped bar (however minor it may seem). More fun I guess.

m3q57jrgijwj.jpg

Edit: Some hot water and a rather heavy box seems to have done the trick. For now.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    how do you actually buy cooler master keyboards in the US, I cannot get their store locator to work and their stuff doesn't seem to be carried by big stores or amazon.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    how do you actually buy cooler master keyboards in the US, I cannot get their store locator to work and their stuff doesn't seem to be carried by big stores or amazon.

They seem to have lots of their keyboards on Amazon. Also carried at Micro Center, and Cooler Master’s web store.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I must be bad at internet, buh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular

man, where can i buy some of these?
    would make for some amazing prank switcheroos.

my favorite part is the lack of a spacebar.