As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Levels Advocate

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Levels Advocate

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Now I'm just itching to replace all the dialogue with a strip about them both working customer service/telemarketing.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Do it but leave in the punchline.

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Battlepasses have become a turn off for me. Now I have intense FOMO whenever I pick up a game with it. It's happened to me on Warframe, Destiny 2, and The Division 2, as soon as I start focusing on getting through all the seasonal stuff I just burn out HARD. It stops being a game I can just log into and play around and starts being a list of chores that I'd rather not do. And while I could just ignore them, just their nagging presence is enough to trigger that completionist part of my brain.

• Options
    SonneillonSonneillon Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Charging for Battlepasses to me is sort of a "the worker has fallen in love with the system that exploits them" thing. (Sarcasm incoming) Sure I'd love to pay to have to have my leisure and fun taken away from me to lock myself into your game only to transform it into a chore to meet a deadline so that negative emotions of missing out on what should be free cosmetics 15 years ago don't go away. Gee wiz, I can't wait to do this again next month, take that social life and work! In the end, you're paying time and time again for virtual manacles for a thing you're supposed to be having fun with.

Sonneillon on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Sonneillon wrote: »
    Charging for Battlepasses to me is sort of a "the worker has fallen in love with the system that exploits them" thing. Sure I'd love to pay to have to have my leisure and fun taken away from me to lock myself into your game only to transform it into a chore to meet a deadline so that negative emotions of missing out on what should be free cosmetics 15 years ago don't go away. Gee wiz, I can't wait to do this again next month, take that social life and work!

At least the halo infinite battlepasses don't expire; if you buy one you have however long it takes you to finish it.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I guess I don't mind buying a battlepass, I'm not buying the base game so this supports the dev. But I have disposable income and routinely make bad decisions.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    I assume the point of paid battlepasses is that a free player who happens to ascend through them just by playing will then want to unlock what they’ve already earned

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    bn9p2hxgrnbl.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    I choked that down, and then choked down the 'story' that was Destiny 2. Then, I got to pay even more money to play more Destiny 2 (several times). They still want even more money on top of the pile they already have. Imagine Smaug, but with piles and piles of greenbacks, looking at the players and hollering "thief!"

Does money go bad? Is there a large warehouse full of expired and rotting money stinking up the place, causing the management to ask Bungie to please remove it? I know silverfish can get into it, thanks to Breaking Bad, but how much more do I have to play to have fun, Bungie? How much to just get a game that feels like it is worth the money? In short, can you get out of my wallet and finally give me something for all the money you have already Taken from me (see what I did there)?

• Options
    I choked that down, and then choked down the 'story' that was Destiny 2. Then, I got to pay even more money to play more Destiny 2 (several times). They still want even more money on top of the pile they already have. Imagine Smaug, but with piles and piles of greenbacks, looking at the players and hollering "thief!"

Does money go bad? Is there a large warehouse full of expired and rotting money stinking up the place, causing the management to ask Bungie to please remove it? I know silverfish can get into it, thanks to Breaking Bad, but how much more do I have to play to have fun, Bungie? How much to just get a game that feels like it is worth the money? In short, can you get out of my wallet and finally give me something for all the money you have already Taken from me (see what I did there)?

Bungie has nothing to do with this Halo, nor does 343 have anything to do with destiny.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Of course the progress through playing is glacial; how else are they going to get people to buy the XP boosts and levels for $2 a pop?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    What's nice is there is literally good news already here. They are changing aspects of this to be nicer to players and looking into ways to have matches be more rewarding. So they are actually listening to complaints.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    On the one hand, I definitely feel what Grendus and Sonneillon were talking about regarding the job-ification of our playtime.

On the other hand, I think people tend to get too didactic and binary when it comes to talking about monetization schemes. I think there's real value in acknowledging that there are degrees of good and bad to any approach, and while some structures seem to skew worse than others, it's worthwhile to talk about the pros and cons of different implementations, and it's important to acknowledge when developers try to at least round off the edges (and are allowed to by their publisher).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Yeah we didn’t like “put a quarter in the arcade machine and play till you die” but we didn’t like “pay $90 to own this game forever and hopefully it’s good”

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    What's nice is there is literally good news already here. They are changing aspects of this to be nicer to players and looking into ways to have matches be more rewarding. So they are actually listening to complaints.

This kind of feels like a "Good news! Your daily flogging will now only be 9 strokes of the whip, not 10!" thing

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    And here's an obscure reference:
    p016r094mq7o.jpg

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

This kind of feels like a "Good news! Your daily flogging will now only be 9 strokes of the whip, not 10!" thing

Eh if you think playing a game is akin to being whipped than don't play? I don't know what I can tell you here, they heard the feedback and they are adjusting it to be more rewarding, its a good thing for people who want to play.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Grendus wrote: »
    Battlepasses have become a turn off for me. Now I have intense FOMO whenever I pick up a game with it. It's happened to me on Warframe, Destiny 2, and The Division 2, as soon as I start focusing on getting through all the seasonal stuff I just burn out HARD. It stops being a game I can just log into and play around and starts being a list of chores that I'd rather not do. And while I could just ignore them, just their nagging presence is enough to trigger that completionist part of my brain.

I flat out will not start playing a game that has a battlepass. Warframe managed to grandfather itself in by not adding one until I had been playing for quite a while, and because it was free.

Heck, I've failed to get into games entirely becuase there happened to be a daily log-in event happening at the time.