As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread - Adults Welcome

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/MBZO8j5l-SQ
    (TL;DW: use a hole puncher to incorporate paper with lego)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Edit awhoops, that's some shit for chat. But hey, I ended up getting the Venetian Houses set!

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    With only minimal (I swear, honestly) prompting on my part, all three of my children have asked for Lego on their Christmas lists.

Luckily for them, I managed to snag a 1500-piece Classic box for more than 50% off at the local supermarket this morning (Sainsbury's, in case any UK forumers are wondering).

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I'm looking for lego ideas for my 3.5 year old. I'll certainly be building it, but he likes playing with them, we just have a fire station set so far. I like the idea of something with a few moving parts, like this ice cream truck. Does anything else good come to mind?

I'm still lusting after the t2 Camper Van for myself, it's got all of the fiddling that I'd want out of a lego set but it's pricey.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    I'm looking for lego ideas for my 3.5 year old. I'll certainly be building it, but he likes playing with them, we just have a fire station set so far. I like the idea of something with a few moving parts, like this ice cream truck. Does anything else good come to mind?

I'm still lusting after the t2 Camper Van for myself, it's got all of the fiddling that I'd want out of a lego set but it's pricey.

Maybe the Technic Monster Truck since you're building it.
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/monster-jam-grave-digger-42118
    It's Technic so you'd definitely have to help, but the smaller Technic sets like this tend to be pretty durable, where a smaller standard Lego build might easily lose pieces after getting run into a wall or down the stairs.

Might also want to try out the Lego gift finder.
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/gift-finder/holiday?icmp=LP-SHCC-Standard-MT_CC_Block_VIP_Weekend_Teaser_Holiday_Gift_Finder_LP-F-MT-JT2IWHZBP7
    It's got categories for age, price range, and general themes.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    You can also look at the age filter. There are some neat sets in there. The safari sets are great. Disney ones are also easy picks.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/categories/age-4-plus-years

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    My kid (now 5, but 4 when we started) loves the 3-in-1 sets to play with and to break apart and make new stuff with. The 3 manuals soon held no secrets for him, so we started building alternative builds (called 4-in-1 by the makers) we found on the internet. Especially the green T.Rex has a LOT of stuff freely available: ranging from helicopters, to other dinosaurs to whales.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    So I always thought the Dino Fossils set was neat, but wasn't really that interested in picking it up myself. Well, tonight I discovered there's a set of alternate build instructions on Rebrickable, plus a few custom touches the guy who built and photographed this added, that uses no extra parts than what come with the set. And I used to be a big zerg fan in my Starcraft days.
    57hkpcxn17081.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=723990205236470f764e20f6fcc5827164a3c72a

...I will now be buying the Fossils set the next time it's in stock.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Ah, the legendary Nightmareosaurus.

Off topic, but one of the biggest crosses I feel I bare as a giant lego nerd is having to entertain the notion from normies that they've found and texted to me an interesting lego set I've never seen.

Normie: "Omg check out this amazing Mario Block/Xmas set/Fender guitar!"
    Me: 2u7pyoqs8dyq.png

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So I always thought the Dino Fossils set was neat, but wasn't really that interested in picking it up myself. Well, tonight I discovered there's a set of alternate build instructions on Rebrickable, plus a few custom touches the guy who built and photographed this added, that uses no extra parts than what come with the set. And I used to be a big zerg fan in my Starcraft days.
    57hkpcxn17081.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=723990205236470f764e20f6fcc5827164a3c72a

That is awesome!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Off topic, but one of the biggest crosses I feel I bare as a giant lego nerd is having to entertain the notion from normies that they've found and texted to me an interesting lego set I've never seen.

I was chatting with a nurse at work the other day about our family Thanksgiving traditions. I told her after the big meal and cocktails we always put on A Christmas Vacation - which is my wife's favorite Christmas Movie and, honestly, likely in her top five movies of all time. We leave it playing on the big TV and people kind of filter in and out of the room - usually every single person has at least one scene / quote memorized.

Turns out, her tradition is more or less the same thing - but with Home Alone.

I showed her the Home Alone set and was like "You mentioned you have kids, any interest?"

Today she said she ordered it and can't wait to put it together with her kids.

I love introducing people to stuff like this.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

Not to be a downer, but you should pick it up anywhere you find it since it is going to be retired at the end of the calendar year.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »

Not to be a downer, but you should pick it up anywhere you find it since it is going to be retired at the end of the calendar year.

I'm quoting this and responding instead of just using the 'Agree' option, because I want to fully try and express that once a Lego set is out of stock there is absolutely no ceiling on the resale market.

I am not kidding. Please go search for the Ghostbusters HQ (my personal white whale) that to this day I still have the shakes over not buying when it was first released.

If you even think for a moment you might like it, just buy it.

EDIT: Full disclosure, this post reminded me I hadn't gotten this set yet for my kid and I just snagged a set at MSRP of $59.99 from Scheels.com of all places. So you're going to want to jump on this sooner rather than later because Lego.com is sold out.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Yeah, this is why I said next time it's in stock. It's currently out. They WILL restock some at some point though, it still says temporarily, not the official Sold Out like the 1989 Batmobile (luckily snagged that one the other month)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    US Amazon has some available at MSRP.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    US Amazon has some available at MSRP.

hmmmm

but the precious points

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    No points is your penance!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I was chatting with a nurse at work the other day about our family Thanksgiving traditions. I told her after the big meal and cocktails we always put on A Christmas Vacation - which is my wife's favorite Christmas Movie and, honestly, likely in her top five movies of all time. We leave it playing on the big TV and people kind of filter in and out of the room - usually every single person has at least one scene / quote memorized.

Turns out, her tradition is more or less the same thing - but with Home Alone.

I showed her the Home Alone set and was like "You mentioned you have kids, any interest?"

Today she said she ordered it and can't wait to put it together with her kids.

I love introducing people to stuff like this.

Did you tell her that the set is specifically designed to be able to be used as an Advent calendar?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

I'm quoting this and responding instead of just using the 'Agree' option, because I want to fully try and express that once a Lego set is out of stock there is absolutely no ceiling on the resale market.

I am not kidding. Please go search for the Ghostbusters HQ (my personal white whale) that to this day I still have the shakes over not buying when it was first released.

EDIT: Full disclosure, this post reminded me I hadn't gotten this set yet for my kid and I just snagged a set at MSRP of $59.99 from Scheels.com of all places. So you're going to want to jump on this sooner rather than later because Lego.com is sold out.

Yeah, I have to echo this. The Lego Scalpers Collectors mostly know what is going to be retired from Lego so they tend to start picking them up before they dry up. Sadly since Lego themselves have put the fossil set in their, "Last Chance to Buy" section on their site I would lean more towards they will never get them back in stock before they retire them. If it was me, and I really wanted it, I would pick it up where ever it is still in stock. Walmart and Target also have the sets in their stores and online if you do not want to buy them from Amazon.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Ideas-21320-Dinosaur-Fossils-Building-Kit-910-Pieces/204097339
    https://www.target.com/p/lego-ideas-21320-dinosaur-fossils-building-kit-910pc/-/A-78306432 <- might only be in stores by now

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm slowly working through the shuttle, just finished up bag 7 and the base of the shuttle is starting to come together. Lego designers are wizards I swear. Just seeing all these little pieces going on and then seeing how it all comes together like 2 bags later.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm slowly working through the shuttle, just finished up bag 7 and the base of the shuttle is starting to come together. Lego designers are wizards I swear. Just seeing all these little pieces going on and then seeing how it all comes together like 2 bags later.

Makes you appreciate their ability and how much love/time they put in creating them huh?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I will never not be blown away by how simple yet ingenious the landing gear of the shuttle are.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Yeah, I have to echo this. The Lego Scalpers Collectors mostly know what is going to be retired from Lego so they tend to start picking them up before they dry up. Sadly since Lego themselves have put the fossil set in their, "Last Chance to Buy" section on their site I would lean more towards they will never get them back in stock before they retire them. If it was me, and I really wanted it, I would pick it up where ever it is still in stock. Walmart and Target also have the sets in their stores and online if you do not want to buy them from Amazon.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Ideas-21320-Dinosaur-Fossils-Building-Kit-910-Pieces/204097339
    https://www.target.com/p/lego-ideas-21320-dinosaur-fossils-building-kit-910pc/-/A-78306432 <- might only be in stores by now

It's called "Last chance to buy". If you can't order it then, I think it's safe to assume that chance has passed. Lego, I find, is really good about announcing set retirements

https://www.brickfanatics.com/every-lego-set-retiring-in-2021-november/

• Options
    this thread's opium den analogy continues to be correct.

I had to order some stuff from Amazon anyway, and I also finally deposited my $600 stimulus check that got lost in the mail that I wasn't expecting, so I ended up getting 2 of those goddamn fossil sets.

Mainly because I want to not only build the hydralisk, but this too:
    1000x800.jpg?1631285229.6903303

• Options
    Sinterklaas knew exactly what we like in this household...

Current bonus reward from Lego.nl, a coffee stand:
    s80heewt2s7g.jpg

The kid got a Miles Morales spider-exosuit:
    zab0ufrn4636.jpg

And I reused the very old LEGO from my dad as magnets:
    fi7lpa0q6n1e.jpg
    ap052ibs0v1s.jpg

• Options
    I picked the wrong time of the month to be broke.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    went to go pull the trigger on the UCS A-Wing finally annnnnnddd its out of stock.

I should have just bought it last night, dammit.

edit:
    was able to grab a sealed set off brinklink for MSRP, I assume they'll go up in the next few days

ronzo on
  • Options
    BEST & WORST Food at LEGOLAND New York FOOD REVIEW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrOk7ytold0

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Started on that Hydralisk.
    20211122_230726.jpg?width=1115&height=627
    I was woefully unprepared for the combination of the fossil set being 90% identical colored tiny pieces, and the fact that using it to make a custom build instead of the official build means Bag Order isn't a thing, and it's basically like I'm dumping all the bags together to pick from at once. Normally when I sort legos into different bags one of the categories is "bits and bobs", but that's like 90% of this set, lol. But hey, I like a challenge.

edit: And before anyone gives me helpful advice, yes I know what Knolling is, but the bag method is pretty much necessary for me building lego because I have a cat who always wants to "help"

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What's knolling?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Knolling is when you sort a bunch of components out into a way that makes sense, usually laying em out flat in sequences of like parts rather than a pile of em.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Knolling is when you sort a bunch of components out into a way that makes sense, usually laying em out flat in sequences of like parts rather than a pile of em.

Well I learned a new term.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Im work posting so im not going to search youtube but adam savage has at least one video on lego knolling and its a delight.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    What's knolling?

It's the process of turning humans into half-hyena monsters.

No wait, that's Gnolling.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    What's knolling?

It's the process of turning humans into half-hyena monsters.

No wait, that's Gnolling.

That's a crossover with Batman and the TMNT also a sub plot of Batman beyond

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    "A black tank is pancaking cop cars!"

7rje21zkptcz.jpg

• Options
    AT-AT is live. Lightsaber GWP is available as of this post.

oosik_betsuni.png
This discussion has been closed.