As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah that's the video I watched.
    I honestly didn't find it as egregious as they were making it out to be. Uninspired? Definitely. Morally bankrupt? Eh, debatable.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The Giant Bomb Aftermath podcast feed has been revived with Ben's Voice Mail Dumptruck. I listened to the first episode and didn't realize it would be Ben and Jeff plus Jan, Jason, and Jeff Bakalar. It made for some hilarity with Bakalar's first-time reactions to Jeff's soundboard.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I honestly didn't find it as egregious as they were making it out to be. Uninspired? Definitely. Morally bankrupt? Eh, debatable.

They have yet to make a good game, and Konami allegedly handing over SH is headache-inducing. Not that all the western-developed SH games weren't mostly shit anyway, but still.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, Voidburger has been such a good pickup immediately. Got great chemistry, esp with Jan.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    They have yet to make a good game, and Konami allegedly handing over SH is headache-inducing. Not that all the western-developed SH games weren't mostly shit anyway, but still.
    I was very disappointed with Observer. I kept waiting for them to do something with the setting, but beyond "Blade Runner aesthetics!", "we got Rutger Hauer with poor voice direction!" and "atmospheric games need shitty stealth sections with ghosts right" it had nothing to give. Gave up when the third forced stealth section hit.

el_vicio wrote: »

I enjoyed both of the Layers of Fear games personally.

I just think that video was hyperbolizing the impact PT had on the gaming space. PT didn't invent "creepy shaky lady flying through hallways".

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Man's not wrong

I had a random realization that Voidburger lives in the same town I lived in for a few years and I wonder if our paths ever intersected. Champaign-Urbana is not a huge area.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Gerstmann must be in the minority to go with "Shaggy2Dope" when talking about Shaggy.
    I definitely went Jamaican Shaggy first, and maybe even Scooby-Doo Shaggy second..

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Then you don't know Jeff Gerstmann

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I had a random realization that Voidburger lives in the same town I lived in for a few years and I wonder if our paths ever intersected. Champaign-Urbana is not a huge area.

But being a college town it's bigger than you think.

Though knowing there are people who have lived there and never went to Papa Del's hurts me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Though knowing there are people who have lived there and never went to Papa Del's hurts me.

True. I worked at one of the local libraries, though, so I got to see a lot of the local population.

I never made it to Papa Del's, but in my defense I don't believe they offered any gluten-free options for my wife at the time (it looks like that has changed). I'd heard good things!

Anyway, it sounds like Voidburger lives on the Champaign side; we were on the Urbana side.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

True. I worked at one of the local libraries, though, so I got to see a lot of the local population.

I never made it to Papa Del's, but in my defense I don't believe they offered any gluten-free options for my wife at the time (it looks like that has changed). I'd heard good things!

Anyway, it sounds like Voidburger lives on the Champaign side; we were on the Urbana side.

My parents met there, my dad got his EE degree at UofI. We used to go there every summer and sometimes in the winter to see my grandparents.

Growing up in New York and visiting Illinois frequently turned me into a pizza snob.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Watched the Unfinished Quick Look they did for Halo Infinite. Jeff seems really bullish on what he's played of it so far. Got me really excited. I've been enjoying the multiplayer, so it's great to hear that the campaign is promising, too.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Weren't a few GBers just dumping on The Game Awards on Twitter? Maybe it was just Ben though now that I think about it.

They've all openly shit on how useless it is as an awards show and how it's just a hype/marketing show akin to an E3 press conference, but Jeff G still does stuff with Keighley like every year. I think Jeff might even be a voter for the Game Awards/The Keighleys.

steam_sig.png

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I believe Jeff is the one who submits Giant Bomb's votes.

Yeah he's definitely a part of judges week and is likely a part of TGA.
    Just a bit of an ironic coincidence I guess.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    On the latest Bombcast he was pretty open about “yeah we vote on this but also yeah these nominees are stupid”

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    It's almost as if you have to think about what you put online.

It's nothing bad, but yeah...

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Jeff has also mentioned in a prior Bombcast that he still believes in the process and that there's still value in games media coming to a consensus about nomination and awarding, not that the process itself isn't flawed or that a consensus won't produce headass decisions.
    I doubt he'd contribute his company's vote if he considered it "useless" as an awards show

This one's pretty snappy and funny, good one Abby!

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Little lord boy!

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Jeff has also mentioned in a prior Bombcast that he still believes in the process and that there's still value in games media coming to a consensus about nomination and awarding, not that the process itself isn't flawed or that a consensus won't produce headass decisions.
    I doubt he'd contribute his company's vote if he considered it "useless" as an awards show

This one's pretty snappy and funny, good one Abby!

wait is she a writer forr G4 and not a presenter? :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    If you ever saw G4 you'd know that's often the same job

She's a writer/producer and sometimes performer

There's a dreadful Gamestop skit she was part of the other day.

steam_sig.png

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm happy she's getting paid

Yeah, obviously happy that Abby is getting paid but I'm not sure what kind of calculus has gone into bringing G4 back. Like, it doesn't feel like millennials want it and I doubt it's something that will resonate with people today that are the same age a lot of us were when G4 was around.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Yeah, obviously happy that Abby is getting paid but I'm not sure what kind of calculus has gone into bringing G4 back. Like, it doesn't feel like millennials want it and I doubt it's something that will resonate with people today that are the same age a lot of us were when G4 was around.

after quibi, you could probably convince me that vc money would chase literally any idiotic idea you present in front of them.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I imagine Abby has the skillset and knowledge to be able to pitch ideas that Millennial's would want to watch. I hope she is successful at it!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I also think a G4 revival is a waste of time and money, but I doubt they'd bring it back if they didn't think somebody wanted it.

Surely some line on some chart in some room was going upwards, and the people who make these decisions decided it was worth bringing back G4, which was pretty bad even in its heyday when people actually watched.

steam_sig.png

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think the writing is slightly tuned towards appealing to a younger crowd, but having Sessler deliver it in his signature cadence gives it broader appeal to the older fans as well

UH OH TURKEY (happy thanksgiving, northern hemispherans)

There is a very cute video on Jeff's tiktok of him using a filter that makes it look like you are eating a hot dog, and he uses it on his son.

steam_sig.png

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    G4 sucks shit so I hope Abby finds better employment, she deserves it

BahamutZERO.gif
    It certainly was getting pretty grating seeing all of the G4 people on Twitter just endlessly posting all of the shitty swag their company was sending them. I know it's part of the "influencer" gig but I honestly think it's one of the sketchiest things about that whole corner of the internet/gaming media in general.

I found the recent debate Grubb weighed into on the topic to be pretty interesting re: free merch from publishers. GB and such seem to be generally fine about that kind of stuff but sites like What's Good Games, Kinda Funny, etc are pretty gross about how much they shill based on the free shit they get.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    It certainly was getting pretty grating seeing all of the G4 people on Twitter just endlessly posting all of the shitty swag their company was sending them. I know it's part of the "influencer" gig but I honestly think it's one of the sketchiest things about that whole corner of the internet/gaming media in general.

I found the recent debate Grubb weighed into on the topic to be pretty interesting re: free merch from publishers. GB and such seem to be generally fine about that kind of stuff but sites like What's Good Games, Kinda Funny, etc are pretty gross about how much they shill based on the free shit they get.

Shilling for swag is awful

The only think I hate more is when media adjacent people beg for codes on their socials

Still remember when Gary Whitta got mad cause he didn’t get certain Oscar screeners

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    That's why I'm kinda glad Dan is doing his own thing now. He's typically good about disclosing swag and separating it from his genuine interests, but more than once during his GB tenure I felt like he was toeing the line a bit. That being said, more power to him if he can convince companies to send him free shit and let him live his teenage dreams.

For some reason it seems less bad to me with Dan?
    Like, he's such a ridiculous mark for fast-food brands that I have a hard time calling it shilling. It's just genuine.

I don't think he's ever been much of a shill from the gaming side of things.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Dan is a natural-born mark, it doesn't make the shilling better but at least it comes across as less forced and awkward. Like, he got married in a taco bell. Good for him! Good for him.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif