As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I mean honestly, I'll probably try that game. I do like many of the characters..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I'm personally a bit confused over the initial lineup.

3iQoFiG.jpg

I don't follow this particular franchise but did Game Of Thrones get a cartoon when I wasn't looking?

i mean it's not about cartoon characters, it's about ip that they own. Gandalf isn't a cartoon either, but he was in the original leak.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

3iQoFiG.jpg

I don't follow this particular franchise but did Game Of Thrones get a cartoon when I wasn't looking?

i mean it's not about cartoon characters, it's about ip that they own. Gandalf isn't a cartoon either, but he was in the original leak.

Gandalf is totally a cartoon character. That cartoon rules.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

3iQoFiG.jpg

Gandalf is totally a cartoon character. That cartoon rules.

if they change the art and he's the original cartoon rankin and bass gandalf or that's a skin i'll get it day 1

• Options
    The Rankin/Bass hobbit is the reason I got into the series.

Also wild that the animation studio for it eventually basically became Ghibli.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

"Look, see, WE have actual voice acting!"

I will say the team stuff at least seems interesting, but that's about it. Something about that game seems lifeless despite all the chaos going on. Like that one with with Jerry just standing there, throwing projectiles, unmoving, unblinking.

The character models seem fine, but the way they’re animated does seem really lifeless.

• Options
    "rankin and bass hobbit is better than live action hobbit, and it's not close" is a take i'll have till i die.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

"Look, see, WE have actual voice acting!"

I will say the team stuff at least seems interesting, but that's about it. Something about that game seems lifeless despite all the chaos going on. Like that one with with Jerry just standing there, throwing projectiles, unmoving, unblinking.

The character models seem fine, but the way they’re animated does seem really lifeless.

It looks like a free-to-play Smash Bros clone.

Which, you know ...

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    leaning into ultra instinct shaggy actually really sucks for all the kids who are gonna try the game and just like scooby-doo

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

3iQoFiG.jpg

Okay so let's get ALF in there. Let's get the Cryptkeeper in there. Let's get Dr. Glen Ross in there.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "rankin and bass hobbit is better than live action hobbit, and it's not close" is a take i'll have till i die.

The only big advantage Jackson's lotr has over the Rankin Bass return of the king was that it covered the whole trilogy

The rankin bass hobbit adaptation is just flat out better

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Rankin Bass films are codswollop.

The Hobbit Trilogy is a train wreck.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    emJ7sMWh.jpg

đź‘ŹPUTđź‘Ź LARRY đź‘ŹDAVID đź‘ŹIN đź‘ŹMULTIVERSE đź‘Ź

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rankin Bass only did Return of the King, in terms of LotR

The first film, which covers Fellowship+Two Towers, is Ralph Bakshi and it is a peerless classic

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    baski's lotr is... interesting. it's very unique. but not all of it is good.

• Options
    I love Bakshi's LotR, I was so disappointed when I finally got around to seeing the Rankin Bass Return of the King when I was a kid

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    BMawxRa.jpg

Free Games

Guild of Dungeoneering
    KID A MNESIA EXHIBITION
    Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna)

COMING SOON
    Antstream - Epic Welcome Pack
    theHunter: Call of the Wild™

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

• Options
    Guild of Dungeoneering is a fun little thing

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    leaning into ultra instinct shaggy actually really sucks for all the kids who are gonna try the game and just like scooby-doo

Ultra Instinct Shaggy originated from a modern Scooby cartoon kids might have actually watched, so I don't think so? Also, modern kids love memes...

• Options
    Also that's not his entire kit, going by the video

They show him throwing a giant sandwich at someone, which mind you is incredibly unlikely for him to do because Shaggy would never waste food

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Bakshi’s shit is the most egregious adaptation of anything I’ve ever seen.

It had some ideas and they were all just pants on head crazy.

Edit: that fucking balrog suuuuuuuuucks so hard, just… Christ, it sucks.

sarukun on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ipiVZ2WjA

Revenge? You? HA. I am SMAUG. I kill when I wish. I am strong, strong, STRONG. My armor is like tenfold shields. My teeth are like swords. My claws, spears. The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt. My wings, a hurricane. And my breath -- DEATH. Well? Where are your riddles now?"

ten year old CK:

giphy.gif

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    i guess it's because of the later animations where when you go down a pipe you go down facing forward? Don't you do that in Super Mario World?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Guild of Dungeoneering is a fun little thing

Yeah I definitely got my money's worth on it when I paid actual money. I apparently have 96 hours on it, but that feels a little high. Might have idled some? I'd definitely believe 40-60 though.

It is easily worth free dollars in my opinion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    How does a WB smash game not have the dancing frog with the tophat and cane in it's lineup?

Wasn't he like the mascot of their TV channel back in the day?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    H0b0man wrote: »
    How does a WB smash game not have the dancing frog with the tophat and cane in it's lineup?

Michigan J Frog has a lot of racism baked into him

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Cross posted from the g&t elden ring thread

https://youtu.be/PuCNeLoEniU

https://youtu.be/BvW4nsNI7JQ

No console has a rock solid 60fps

Lol. PS5 is the closest but can't quite manage it.

• Options

I think this is a good look at Bakshi’s attempt. I also think the Bakshi films are more interesting as historical relics than an actual good movie adaptation to experience as a take on the Lord of the Rings.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

Michigan J Frog has a somewhat sticky history

Does he? I know literally nothing about him other than he was constantly on the bumpers for that channel when I was growing up.

Not seeing anything from a brief wikipedia search, but if there's something messed up with his history than sure don't put him in the game.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah like I believe you because this shit happens all the time but this is the first I'm hearing about something being fucked up re: the dancing frog

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I'm about 3 hours in to Dawn: Song of the Evertree and it really is just island decluttering and picking up decoration pieces to go in your village with some very slight citybuilding so far. I have two villagers! They're both weird but they like the town so I invited them to stay, and built an inn so people cam just visit.

In between doing that, I've flown up to a treebranch to harvest currency and get building supplies and pet new animals that have shown up.

And there's a non-binary option on the character select! Which is great! I can be myself! I can get character models right for character creation since I look like an NPC [bald, beard, frequently wears a shirt that says SHIRT on it and a hat that has a picture of that hat on it] so pronouns are such a huge thing for me.

I'm digging it and can't wait to leave work so I can clean my little island some more and have a book refer to me as they.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    In today’s activision news:

Hundreds of employees have submitted a petition calling for kotick’s resignation.

ATVI is down another ~3.5% as analysts have started downgrading the stock.

• Options
    I mostly just remember WB killing Michigan J Frog because they wanted to revamp their image

• Options
    I recall hearing that there was a connection between MJ Frog’s schtick and minstrel shows, but it’s entirely possible I’m mistaken

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    yeah like I believe you because this shit happens all the time but this is the first I'm hearing about something being fucked up re: the dancing frog

He mostly performs African-American music and apparently there was a cultural trend of portaying African American musicians and characters associated with New Orleans culture as frogs

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    there were movies being made in the 30s about cartoon frogs singing songs from minstrel shows, usually caricatures of famous black musicians, specifically because white animators believed that animals with wide mouths were evocative of black people

these movies were pulled from circulation in the 60s and 70s during the civil rights movements but michigan j frog deliberately pulls from that (so does mickey mouse, who's whistling a cover of a minstrel song in steamboat willie)

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Platy wrote: »

He mostly performs African-American music and apparently there was a cultural trend of portaying African American musicians and characters associated with New Orleans culture as frogs

*Looks at DVD of Princess and the Frog*

*Tugs collar*

• Options
    Literally everything created in America is either currently racist, or racist in origin

04xkcuvaav19.png
This discussion has been closed.