As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    There's two things I really don't like about Halo Infinite

One is that it is way too hard to tell when you are being shot from very close by, like something about the sound mix does not sound louder when it's right next to me so I spin around looking for someone in the distance and just get shot a million times by someone circle strafing behind me and die

The other thing is that I hate that people on the red team can have blue skins. I can't differentiate at all! I see a blue guy and I think friendly! This is mostly a me problem I know but man it sucks

The color thing literally fucks me up too.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I died at least 3 times to blue enemy players yesterday. Which is not a particularly huge number but was absolutely infuriating.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There really needs to be an option to turn on RvB mode or something.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Something Infinite struggles at throughout the whole package is visual readability.

The biggest offender is with color outlines for enemy teams. If I can't immediately distinguish friend from foe, that's a major failing. Similar problems exist with the poor directional damage indicators and the short-range radar can make it feel like damage is coming out of nowhere.

Next is weapon design, mostly for Banished weapons but also the human Hydra. The AR and BR have classic silhouettes, the Covenant weapons both old and new come in all sorts of outlandish shapes and colors. But the Banished weapons tend to all be nondescript boxy grey things. There's a lack of distinctiveness, a lack of identity, and a plain lack of personality to them.

And then there's just visual variety itself. All the BTB maps look the same. All the player Spartans look the same.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So while I was definitely wrong about the menus having a way to turn off crossplay somewhere, the search for that showed me something that may help the enemy ID issues for y'all: apparently you can edit the strength/thickness of the IFF outlines. I don't know how much stronger you can make it, but maybe enough to alleviate the color issues? And yeah, I know it isn't as good as the enemy just being the correct enemy color, but it's worth checking out.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yeah you can change the colors of both your team and the enemy overlay thing in the setting to anything you want. Maybe you can make them something that stands out better.

My issue it that it always seems hard to tell when some is shooting me in the back. Like my ears can’t hear the noise and the indicator isn’t as noticeable.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah you can change the colors of both your team and the enemy overlay thing in the setting to anything you want. Maybe you can make them something that stands out better.

My issue it that it always seems hard to tell when some is shooting me in the back. Like my ears can’t hear the noise and the indicator isn’t as noticeable.

Yeah, it generally doesn't communicate well to the user. It's often not very clear why you failed.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Press has been hands on with the Campaign for a week and impressions of the first 4 missions are getting out there guess an embargo dropped at midnight PST.

They are overwhelmingly positive.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    My main worry with the campaign is that it will get repetitive. I haven’t seen any hint of visually distinct areas or what the “second half” for lack of a better term, will be like. It looks great and very evocative of the second halo level from 1, but if it’s just that and installations I’ll be disappointed. I’m hoping they’re keeping surprises and not just that the entire game looks like that

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    While a few more maps and lighting finesses would be nice, this is really strong as a F2P offering and another feather in the cap for Game pass. It also starts up and lets me play without having to click through a bunch of dross.

I got ranked and I'm gold 2 not bad for the old man! I like the new weeklies they seem way more "fair" than the previous ones. And I went up more in my season pass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The sound feedback in this game is not up
    to standards. It’s something that’s been a big step forward in the genre. I’d say overwatch was the first to really nail it. Then BRs made it key. Destiny is good too. The ability to really use your ears to pin point the enemy.

It’s practically non existent in this. That’s been causing me some issues. Maybe it’s better than I realize and I’m just not used to it but I feel like I have zero ability to pick out the enemy movement with my ears and the last 4 years of FPs games have trained me to rely on that

616610-1.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    to standards. It’s something that’s been a big step forward in the genre. I’d say overwatch was the first to really nail it. Then BRs made it key. Destiny is good too. The ability to really use your ears to pin point the enemy.

It’s practically non existent in this. That’s been causing me some issues. Maybe it’s better than I realize and I’m just not used to it but I feel like I have zero ability to pick out the enemy movement with my ears and the last 4 years of FPs games have trained me to rely on that

I have a similar problem with back for blood, the sound design in previous games was so good

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Giving this a shot. Im having a hard time using the radar otherwise it controls great just like I remember.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The new exp changes are great, I had one game where I completed all 5 challenges and had a double exp on. Went up 2 levels.

They seem easier and having that 50exp each game really helps with progression and the drive to play.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Did 6 of the ranked placements last night and had 1 person drop from my team immediately (and then subsequent loss) in 3 of those games - does that at least start to drop off once you clear placements?

PSN SeGaTai
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm dying to the needler more often than I would have in past games, just because the sound of the little projectiles is totally gone.

I've gotten hints at nearby people a couple times by hearing footsteps, though. So there's some good and some bad present.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I got ranked and I'm gold 2 not bad for the old man! I like the new weeklies they seem way more "fair" than the previous ones. And I went up more in my season pass.

Guess we can't play together until you get on my level

Gold VI (Solo-Controller)
    Plat I (Open-Crossplay)
    :P

Made the joke elsewhere but thats literally the absolute middle of the rankings and I guess I'm just average at best

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Giving this a shot. Im having a hard time using the radar otherwise it controls great just like I remember.

I hear the radar's very short, the shortest it's ever been

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Watched Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb talking about the campaign this morning. The few hours he's played he seems really excited about it and is having a great time with it. I'm starting to get excited for the campaign now! When Jeff likes something it tends to fall in to my wheelhouse as well.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Halo has always seemed like a good fit for open world play, with a wide sandbox to kick around with. Hearing press excited about halo again is real nice.

It can work if it’s a good mix of open world AND tightly scripted missions. My favorite halo campaign moments where in legendary where you had to pretty much memorize the enemy drop locations abs rotate around killing them perfectly

616610-1.png
    Halo has always seemed like a good fit for open world play, with a wide sandbox to kick around with. Hearing press excited about halo again is real nice.

Yeah with all the vehicles and open battle sections it does fit to be an open world exploreathon. Plus the nature of the halos themselves.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Gold I after my first ten ranked matches, did not expect such a decent grade but I guess they have some weighting based on whether some of your teammates drop out or not.

Absalon wrote: »
    Gold I after my first ten ranked matches, did not expect such a decent grade but I guess they have some weighting based on whether some of your teammates drop out or not.

They damn well should I had some games where it was a 3 on 4 or a 2 on 4 and that doesn't say shit about skill if you're getting flanked and f'd

pleasepaypreacher.net
    It can work if it’s a good mix of open world AND tightly scripted missions. My favorite halo campaign moments where in legendary where you had to pretty much memorize the enemy drop locations abs rotate around killing them perfectly

I agree here; I have fond memories of very specific combat moments that specifically happen as a result of tight design.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

This is basically what Gerstmann says. The open world is fun to explore and move around in, but it leads to Halo ass Halo moments in the various set pieces and encounter locations.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Gooo one thing that’s giving me problems is when people jump up somewhere that requires mantling I don’t know how to push them to secure the kill

They just sort of crouch and wait for me and punch the hell out of me as I mantle up to them

Also this is playing nothing like halo I remember. It’s fun but I recall just using BRs/dmrs and three tapping everyone. Here I’m using AR a ton unless I get a powerful upgrade. (Heatwave is my jam) Like the sight lines just aren’t there for ranged play (I haven’t tried Btb yet)

616610-1.png
    I think the most frustrating for me is pursuing an unshielded enemy and then getting group focus fired before you can get the W. Then again I've literally done that too people too.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    On the flip side people love to chase you when weak and you can nade the hell out of them and get some fun multi kills

616610-1.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Hey I found another thing I hate about Halo Infinite!

You can't join a ranked game in progress! So if someone drops, you just have a 3v4 for the rest of the match and it still counts against your record! That stinks!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    That’s most games ever. The flip side kinda sucks. Imagine destroying a team then their weakest member quits and gets filled with a beast. Now you lose. Or being tossed into a ranked game mid game?

They should allow the original player to rejoin but beyond that it shouldn’t find another random to fill it.

616610-1.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    That’s most games ever. The flip side kinda sucks. Imagine destroying a team then their weakest member quits and gets filled with a beast. Now you lose. Or being tossed into a ranked game mid game?

They should allow the original player to rejoin but beyond that it shouldn’t find another random to fill it.

Then don't make it count against my record! Easy solution

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

If it didn't count as a loss for you, then it shouldn't count as a win for the other team, at which point it's just like... cancel the entire game if any player ever disconnects. Not really workable.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Would also mean you could have someone drop out if you're gonna lose the game to nullify the loss for the team.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Also yeah I second the needler sounding absolutely awful. It sounds nothing like the iconic high pitch whizz, and is this quiet, dull and bassy generic bullet effect

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

You dont lose or gain rank based on win/loss. Its all about your "performance"

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

You dont lose or gain rank based on win/loss. Its all about your "performance"

Well I'm still fucked then.

Lolz maybe it's for the best

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-campaign-co-op-forge-mode-delay
    This suuuuucks. I somehow doubt the campaign will play like a dream next month if things are looking this bad otherwise. This after they screwed up co-op in 5 and promised that they learned a lot of lessons from that experience.

Delays don’t mean terrible, I think that’s hyperbolic. The multiplayer turned out excellent (monetization/progression aside), and initial impressions from the internet of the campaign are super positive, as has been noted here.

Worth quoting from IGN:
    Staten couldn't offer firm release dates for either, however: "We can't commit to any hard dates right now, because as we're seeing with this multiplayer beta, other things might move up in the priority stack for us. If it turns out that our progression system just isn't working the way that we intended, if we need to move some of these bigger rocks sooner, then we as a team will make those decisions and will clearly communicate to our fans why we're why we're doing certain things."

They know what’s problematic with the multiplayer release, clearly, and they consider it important enough to pull all hands on deck if needed.

Co-op and forge are definitely a significant part of the halo experience, I will never fight that, but I would rather have a shipshape multiplayer and campaign first. If they need a bit more time to fix things up, then let them have it.

Look up Operation Health in regards to Rainbow Six Siege; it’s a (mostly) textbook case of how to make good to a community, and if 343 wants to take that route, I say let ‘em, and let’s get a better overal Halo out of it.