As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    My initial impressions:

Ash seems fun, but not overpowered AFAICT, her abilities are useful and interesting, but not oppressively so. It might just be that her abilities take a bit more experience/knowledge to rise to that level

I like the CAR a lot, good damage output and useful for ammo droughts, interestingly at first I thought that whatever ammo upgrade you got, you would need to use that ammo type to get the boost from it but fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Ash's passive could maybe be tuned down a bit, being able to basically see every fight on the map for free is quite potent, but she's certainly not Seer levels of busted out of the gate.

I've has pretty decent games so far, obviously everyone's still learning the map, but I've noticed a lot of players roughly as good (well, bad) as me in my lobbies.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    you know what, i wanted half decent teammates but at this point i will settle for teammates who actually use their abilities

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Cascade falls is a meat grinder. So far, it's this map's Hammond Labs in my opinion.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Damn, I almost managed to get 2k damage with Seer (which would've been my second ever damage badge) but the final ring closed in the worst possible spot and I couldn't quite manage it.

Still, it was a higher damage than any of my game last season, so I guess that's good.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm rarely much higher than 500-1000 damage, but the two 2k's I've managed to (just barely) pull off were on... Loba and Crypto.

vOv

I think my next closest might be a Fuse game in the 1500's, but I haven't checked the progression bars in ages.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I always love to see Simulacra, but I'm hoping they add another 100% robot at some point. I'd love to see some modded/custom Spectre as a legend.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    For those who were looking forward to the "Market Crossover skins", they've arrived in the shop.

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/market-market-market

I dunno if anyone was desperately searching for something to throw a couple thousand coins at, but seeing as these skins were put off like 8 months ago, I figured it was worth noting just in case.

• Options
    I wish they'd buff the P2020 back to where it was before. Or give it Hammerpoint as a built in feature. I like it a lot but I wish it was more viable compared to every other game in the game. Am I just crazy on this?

• Options
    I wish they'd buff the P2020 back to where it was before. Or give it Hammerpoint as a built in feature. I like it a lot but I wish it was more viable compared to every other game in the game. Am I just crazy on this?

waiting for the care package p2020 that's akimbo april fools' p2020s

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Nah I miss the hammerpoints too. One thing that could be fun is to give the P20 a much faster swap speed. If it was COD fast it might be useful as a secondary to get that last bit of damage in for a knock.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    yfe0ix6zkmb5.png

going from bronze to gold in the first week of the season is

*thousand yard stare*

it's rough

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've been playing unranked for my first ten games this season and have managed to scrape together a KD of 1*, therefore the game is currently good.

* due to a pair of games where I got 4 and 5 kills mainly through luck

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    yfe0ix6zkmb5.png

going from bronze to gold in the first week of the season is

*thousand yard stare*

it's rough

Yeah. I'm on the cusp of Silver I and it's the usual mix, which can be particularly grating when you just want to get into a couple of fights and aim for placement, while Captain "I'm Silver IV!" wants to hot drop like it's Fragment.

On the up side, Storm Point being so large means that if I can convince my randoms not to suicide into the first clusterfuck we see (and sometimes even if they do) I can usually secure points no matter what.

Obviously the jump to 24 points on entry with Gold will make this harder, but with the changes over the last few seasons, I think Plat will again be within my reach. Just gotta put in the hours to make it happen.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I basically skipped the bulk of the past two seasons so apologies for Very Obvious Thoughts, but is the Bocek low key very strong as an early game pickup? I found one right off the drop in a game last night and it felt pretty great, way better than the mozambiques and p2020s of the world.

I don't hear people talking about the bow in general, has it just settled into its place in the meta or is it not very popular?

• Options
    edited November 2021
    It was super popular for the start of its launch season, then it got a quick nerf cos it was a little silly strong (like, I think it was hitting for Sentinel numbers with none of the drawbacks?) and everyone kinda stopped picking it up. Personally I tend to avoid it cos I find actually firing it is kinda awkward, and there can be ammo issues late game as no one else will be carrying lots of arrows on them.

It seems pretty good if you can get the hang of it though.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I’ve encountered people using it to great effect on Storm Point, both at range and close-quarters spam fire.

I still suck with it.

• Options
    Destiny has conditioned me for bow use, I kinda like it! More than any of the snipers anyway.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    The Bocek is terrifying in the hands of someone skilled with it, but like the Wingman, Sentinel, or 30-30, I generally suck with it and only consider it if I have no other options in the moment (a fight on the drop, for example, and even then I might lean towards trying to punch them instead).

Yeah, I get that the only way to get good with such a weapon is to practice, but I only get so many hours a week, and shoring up those weaknesses is going to cut into them drastically.

Luckily the game has a whole slew of spray n pray firearms to work with.

Not that this stops me from occasionally putting an entire R-99 mag in a gloriously perfect outline of my target. I swear that sometimes I miss in ways that are way more impressive than 1-clipping them.

Forar on
  • Options
    re: the Bocek after the main nerf which mostly brought it in line it got a slight ammo stack buff so you can carry 64 arrows in 2 stacks which should be sufficient for all but the most extended poke trades - which probably settles it at "fine for a marksman weapon" but the 30-30 and triple take are also pretty decent so this season i'd say it's purely down to preference which marksman weapon you're running. if you're practiced with how it handles and the draws you need to get a down on someone it can do its job incredibly fast

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I just can't grok the projectile drop on the Bocek compared to other marksman weapons... also the fact that the iron sight sticks around after putting on another sight really irks me.

• Options
    It’s in a pretty good spot, but all of the ranged weapons are overshadowed by the triple take right now. I run the TT, bow, or Longbow interchangeably, but the TT is definitely the strongest.

• Options
    Love the triple take, love it. I'm fully hooked again, if any of y'all see me online and want to party up let me know, I'm always available.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Bocek is murderous in the right hands, but generally works differently than the guns from the sideways sight, so that's why people sleep on it.
    My current preference is r301 or triple take with prowler/car/volt. Loving the current mastiff as well, but I often use it at too long a range so it's less of a pickup

• Options
    i've actually been doing work with the Sentinel this season despite nothing actually having changed about it I think

sometimes i do the armed & dangerous loadout with mastiff/Sentinel if i'm feeling spicy

otherwise it's normal SG/AR or SMG/Marksman loadouts for me

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Oh, I'm very happy that the triple take is back (edit: on the ground). I usually run a close up SMG/AR/LMG and a long range weapon, especially on Storm Point, and the TT pulls double duty as both a sniping weapon and a fine shotgun in a pinch.

CAR/TT or Longbow is probably my primary loadout this season, for the raw versatility alone, though I remain fond of the Rampage (and particularly blowing down doors on people who think they're safely getting a bat off).

Forar on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I feel like I should be picking up Rampage more often, as it seems to be pretty great on Storm Point, fulfilling some of my craving for the G7 more regularly.

And the Thermal mode is no joke.

• Options
    Incredibly I somehow didn't have my name in the list at the beginning of the thread. Fixed!

@Peen added you through the game menu

• Options
    Sorry for the double post but fucking really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDI4rfNaCiE

Who does this shit? I can't even leave because it's arenas and I'll eat a 10 minute penalty. Had to watch them teabag me for 3 rounds.

• Options
    i wish i could say i was surprised but yeah, that really sucks

i'm assuming they were teaming or something except i don't even know what the incentives would be for that in arenas.

• Options
    There’s a member of the asshole hunting team you can tweet at to possibly get some action taken (https://twitter.com/RSPN_Hideouts).

It’s by no means guaranteed, but egregious fuckery can carry consequences occasionally.

The clip is bad in itself, but if you happened to keep more (or all) of the match, it probably wouldn’t hurt.

When people are being monumentally shitty, I just grenade myself, denying them the points to pad out their tiny little egos.

Sure, in this case they can stretch the game out relentlessly, but that just factors into whether or not it’s worth it to sit through their shit, or take the abandon penalty and go get some water or something.

• Options
    Not gonna lie, I love Apex's BR mode so much and at the same time I never plan to set foot in Arenas unless someone makes me.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, I love Apex's BR mode so much and at the same time I never plan to set foot in Arenas unless someone makes me.

I've had a few good arena games, but 90% of them have either had leavers on my side or it's L star city

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Arenas has been a really good way at improving my skills in actual combat, making me win way more fights in BR.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't win my last match of the day, but I'm still pretty proud of it. 10 kills, 1500 damage. The more I've played, the more I feel like the game just throws you in with the sharks for 19/20 games, and then when your win percentage starts to go down, just drops you in with 59 scrubs (or 57 if you're on a team). That last match? The Gibby on my team first tried to revive me without dropping his bubble and nearly got us killed by a third party, and then a minute later tried to revive me again (didn't have time to fully heal and we got 3rd partied) when he was the only survivor against a lone Wraith I'd put down to one shot and was desperately pinging. Y'know, 'cause she was like 10 feet away. If he had done either of those things differently, we'd almost certainly have won.

Mind you, it's not that Gibby I'm disappointed in, it's the matchmaking system that lets me get 2 knockdowns in like 10 matches, followed by a couple easy-peezy ones where I'm a wolf in the henhouse. I guess it's just too much to ask that I be a fox in a game against other foxes.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Arenas has been a really good way at improving my skills in actual combat, making me win way more fights in BR.
    Yeah, good way to get back into the game when you've been away for a while. Run through a dozen firefights in half an hour instead of one gunfight every ten minutes.

• Options
    Gotta tell you this felt pretty good! See if you can count how many times I enter a total panic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSsoV3c144

Shame my teammates left immediately after being downed at the start of the match, but that's how it goes.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    if i had just one thing to say about solo Q ranked it would be: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Gold

just so many people that were doing bronze shit which is like "that's two tiers lower dude, stay there please" - i have so many disaster stories this season

hds0zvd7r35q.png

i'm finally free

Orphane on
  • Options
    To be fair it is impossible to stay in bronze unless you finish in the bottom 7 with 0 kills/assists every single match, and in silver it's easy to carry those bad habits forwards and still gain points overall, so staying in the first two ranks is actually kinda tricky!

• Options
    I'm enjoying gradually moving up in rank and gradually getting slightly better teammates because I'm not good exactly but I'm good enough not to do dumb shit and if I could just get some teammates who don't take dumb fights as the third ring is closing in and die to the ring and constantly ping their impossible to retrieve death boxes that'd be great, or who shoot spider eggs when there are five teams left and giving away your position for free is exactly the thing not to do, or whatever, I'd appreciate it.