As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D Discussion] 5th Edition HD Remaster Coming in 2024, Entering the Disney Vault in 2025

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    Maybe weird question, but I've seen lots of conversation around DPR, and what's acceptable or not, but very little about what an actual round of combat might look like for various classes as they level. Like, I get what a fighter would typically be doing, and a rogue or a ranger. But what's a lvl 11 warlock doing when you just stepped out of town, and need to clear a handful of bandits, and in those combats where you really need to drop the baddy? Or a sorcerer, or a bard?

eldritch blast
    fireball
    *untie breeches*

in that order

override367 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Maybe weird question, but I've seen lots of conversation around DPR, and what's acceptable or not, but very little about what an actual round of combat might look like for various classes as they level. Like, I get what a fighter would typically be doing, and a rogue or a ranger. But what's a lvl 11 warlock doing when you just stepped out of town, and need to clear a handful of bandits, and in those combats where you really need to drop the baddy? Or a sorcerer, or a bard?

eldritch blast
    fireball
    *untie breeches*

in that order

Yeah, unless you're going for some weird Warlock build, Eldritch Blast should be your bread and butter combat spell. Get the agonizing blast invocation to add that CHA bonus to the damage for each blast.
    I'd disagree about "Only Fireball" personally, but I enjoy crowd control spells, or spells that do damage over time. Cloud of Daggers, Hypnotic Pattern, Hunger of Hadar... Those kind of things.
    4th level spells let you summon an Aberration or a Greater Demon. Sure, these may not put out the burst damage of a 5th level Fireball, but getting a fat, disposable meat shield to put in front of yourself and draw fire can be a huge benefit in the middle of combat.
    Synaptic static is a good 5th level spell to consider. 8d6 psychic damage, applies the Muddled debuff (negative d6 to attack rolls, ability checks and con checks for a minute or until they save).
    Int saving roll for half damage and no muddled effect.
    Like I said, I like crowd control spells or area control spells, because if anything does survive the fireball, the Warlock has become a very big threat, and they don't tend to have the AC or HP to survive that for long.
    On the other hand, if you've just knocked a crowd of bandits into a mindless stupor, let the fighter or the paladin do their thing.

Then take a nap to get your spell slots back.

Sorcerers can get a lot of big damage spells, and should probably use them from the back of the party (or while invisible) since they're squishy too,
    Sorcerers can also get a lot of buff spells, and twinning them will make your party love you when you haste both the fighter and the paladin.
    Transmuting spells can be nice to get around elemental strengths, and if you've taken the Elemental Adept feet you get to ignore resistance for your chosen element (also, any 1s you roll as damage become 2s).
    For a touch of fun, take a couple levels of Tempest Cleric for the Channel Divinity (max Lighting or Thunder damage), cast a Fireball at lvl 6, spend 1 sorcerer point to change that to Thunder or Lightning using the Transmute Spell metamagic from Tasha's, and maybe a second Sorcery point to protect your team mates in the AoE. Damage is now maxed for 66 points of Thunder or Lightning damage to everything. At highest levels, swap Fireball out for Meteor Swarm for 120 ToL + 20d6 bludgeoning against pretty much everything on the map.

I'm not sure what Bard's do in battle. My Bard was a College of Secrets bard that Multiclassed with Rogue so I could get the sneak attack, then stack on the Psychic damage from Psychic Blades
    You should have Charisma coming out of your three favorite orifices though, so maybe use that to your advantage? Cast Tongues so everything can understand you, then Calm Emotions and try to BS your way out of fighting that horde of barbarians.
    Otherwise, Inspiration to your party. Countercharm if the enemy can charm. Magical secrets can get you some options.
    But Bards really come into their own outside of combat when it's time to make skill checks and you realize that nobody thought to get proficiency in Survival, and now you're starving to death in the middle of nowhere. Or you need to pick a lock, or negotiate a better rate for your paladin's shiny new armor.

my bard is a college of creation so I usually create a geometric shapes or animate an opponent's nipple piercing or whatever and tell it to attack them

or good ol' hypnotic pattern, disadvantage on the save with instrument of the bards (synaptic static is my big aoe)

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    For a Halloween one-shot a couple of weeks ago I rolled up a College of Spirits bard, it was fun rolling for a random buff on the Tales from Beyond table at the beginning of most combat rounds.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    What does one even spend gold on as a monk? I'm starting to consider starting a library or orphanage just to give my character some use for his cash.

What does one even spend gold on as a monk? I'm starting to consider starting a library or orphanage just to give my character some use for his cash.

Make sure your orphanarium is teaching those kids fantasy kung-fu. That way when your monk dies you have an in-game backup character as one of your orphans seeks revenge for their fallen master.

• chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yesterday was dinner with Strahd and a masquerade ball following dinner and it just went amazing. I played up Strahd as being fairly honest about how and why he struck a bargain with a dark power (though leaving out Sergei and claiming Tatyana' first death was a terrible accident). He also tried laying some guilt on the cleric-reincarnation of Tatyana by telling him the only way to break the curse and free the people of Barovia is to choose to be with Strahd. The druid shortly afterwards asked Strahd if he knew what an Incel is.

I tried some probes and questions to drive wedges between the party, though nothing took hold. When Strahd asked how the paladin, who's mother was tortured by Drow, and the bard, the son of the Drow queen, had come to terms with those facts, they promptly told him to fuck off. When Strahd spoke to the Druid in Druidic about how she has been keeping secrets from the rest of the party, she told him to go ahead and spill the secrets and that she trusted her friends. The fighter inquired about a friend of his that had disappeared to Barovia weeks earlier and was a prisoner in Ravenloft for breaking a law. Strahd promised to turn custody of the friend over to the party as a sign of good faith at the end of the ball.

We then went to the ball in the courtyard and the party had a blast. The bard just rocked on stage with the ghost band and the rest of the party went running around participating in a riddle contest with the rest of the guests. At the end of the ball, Strahd address Irena, who had been accompanying the party. To make amends with her and her brother, Strahd turned over his spawn that had killed her brother. And then revealed the spawn was the fighter's missing friend. The friend swore it was his first feeding and he had lost control and never intended to kill anyone and just started begging the fighter to save him. The fighter and Irena came really close to blows before the Druid cast hold person on her and they put her in manacles. The party grabbed Irena and the spawn and high-tailed it out of the party. We ended the session with the party in the carriage leaving the party arguing over what to do about the spawn and Irena. At this point, Irena is done with the party, even if they kill the spawn. The fighter wants to find a cure for his friend. The rest of the party is leaning towards offing the friend. And I'm just sitting here rubbing my hands together in glee.

Also to be clear, the players are having a blast with this turn of events. The fighter's player, after the session, mentioned it might be time for his character to reach out to the dark being that has been whispering to him in his dreams if his friend if killed, so Strahd might not end up being the final villain of the campaign...

chosenofsotek on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Remote mountaintop Kung fu monasteries aren’t cheap

Edit: nor is supplying them. Think about how much klimmek had to pay you to go up the 7,000 steps and then realize that that had to be paid every time

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited November 2021
    see317 wrote: »

Make sure your orphanarium is teaching those kids fantasy kung-fu. That way when your monk dies you have an in-game backup character as one of your orphans seeks revenge for their fallen master.

This is totally a thing in A5E btw, you can start a monastic order and crap

buOyIE3.png

so pricey

override367 on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Are these 5eA rules official yet? Like, a book?

steam_sig.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I was talking with my friend who is maybe DMing something I might eventually get to play (everything exploded, hurray!), and the topic of Steamjacks came up in the IK setting book. The Warcaster class is sort of built around the idea that you would have one, sort of like a pet class. So then I decided to look up how much one would cost in setting, and they are like 6k gold for the light combat version, and you can have up to 3 or 4 running at once. But also, rolling into town with 3 tanks is probably going to start a war, so...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Have you gotten any cool magical tattoos yet?

Have you gotten any cool magical tattoos yet?

Ioun Stones? Work your way through buying 1 of each, and pick the one that matches your outfit best on any given day.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Starting a Monastary is rad.

A more boring answer might be: Boots, belts, gloves, hats, capes/sashes, rings, necklaces, sticks, sticks on chains, pointy throwing things, etc.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    My monk had a flaming sword.

Look, he was a thieving kenku, he was the disciple of the street of hard knocks, baby.

Smrtnik wrote: »
    Are these 5eA rules official yet? Like, a book?

There is a book, but its not WoTC

wbBv3fj.png
    edited November 2021
    A5e is absolutely not official, and I'm sure everyone would find something in it that they think is dumb because of the number of changes, but there is a lot I like

my rogue player and warlock player in curse of strahd are *delighted* by the changes to their classes, the warlock running around cackling madly hitting things with her eldritch whip and stacking temp hp to refresh her armor of agathys for example

the PDFs are out, its not published yet as they are collecting typos/misprints from the community after releasing the pdf before publishing

There are a lot of fun spells to give to villains, like a 9th level villain spell that animates an entire forest into a 1 square mile swarm creature that can attack everything it consumes each round for 5d8+7 damage

override367 on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Played in a game online fully from my phone tonight. I would never do it as a GM but as a player it wasn't bad.

edited November 2021
    And then my phone makes a double post...

joshgotro on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Played in a game online fully from my phone tonight. I would never do it as a GM but as a player it wasn't bad.

I use all my notebooks, manuals, cards, and dice when I’m at my apartment, but I’ve been running D&D via my phone for years now. If I know there’s no complex combats coming down or have all the statistics and battle locations in my head, or better yet know it’s an exploration/social engagement heavy session I can run game while walking around outside.

Sleep on
    Sleep wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

I use all my notebooks, manuals, cards, and dice when I’m at my apartment, but I’ve been running D&D via my phone for years now. If I know there’s no complex combats coming down or have all the statistics and battle locations in my head, or better yet know it’s an exploration/social engagement heavy session I can run game while walking around outside.

toot-toot-motherfucker.jpg

JK

Stop storing all that useless stuff in your brain.

Is there a good resource for finding a group to play with over the nets? I miss having a group to play with, and the few times I tried playing over the nets it hasn't been too bad.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Is there a good resource for finding a group to play with over the nets? I miss having a group to play with, and the few times I tried playing over the nets it hasn't been too bad.

Reddit did all right with me: r/lfg . Your local metropolitan area may have a dedicated subgroup as well.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png

https://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords=dungeons and dragons&source=EVENTS

wbBv3fj.png
    Bursar wrote: »

Reddit did all right with me: r/lfg . Your local metropolitan area may have a dedicated subgroup as well.

Yeah, I've tried to look into local metro stuff, and its just difficult since I live about 45 minutes on a good day from two large cities, which means there is a lot that's aimed at either of those groups, but not as much in between. I guess I could try reddit, although reddit is scary.

If you're looking to play online, you might try Start Playing.
    https://startplaying.games/
    I've found a couple of long term campaigns to join that are good there with the Next Level group of DMs. https://startplaying.games/gm/next-level-dungeon-master
    If you want to try it out, I'd suggest signing up for their RanD&D or the Arena one shots. RanD&D is a randomized game, you log in, roll for level, character classes and monster type you'll be facing. The DM drops for an hour to build the encounter, the players build their characters accordingly. Some random magic items are distributed and the game starts.
    The Arena is just what it says on the tin. Build a high level character, team up with others, and fight a high level encounter in an arena.

So, weird question, and trying to find the answer online just made me more confused, maybe? Attacking with ranged weapons/spells while in melee. The rule says:
    You have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature
    Most answers I can find seem to be talking about firing at a creature within 5' of you. I was under the impression the penalty was for attacking creatures not within 5' of you, since its not like you really need to aim to hit someone point blank.

Its for attacking creatures within or not within 5 feet of you so long as any creature is within 5 feet of you.

If a creature is within 5 feat of you they're able to harry your ranged attacks and you have disadvantage, whether you're attacking them or attacking someone else. You can think of it as "you now need to be more defensive since you're engaged in melee" or you can think of it as "the same movement produces a far higher deviation of angle for your attack".

wbBv3fj.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    So, weird question, and trying to find the answer online just made me more confused, maybe? Attacking with ranged weapons/spells while in melee. The rule says:
    You have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature
    Most answers I can find seem to be talking about firing at a creature within 5' of you. I was under the impression the penalty was for attacking creatures not within 5' of you, since its not like you really need to aim to hit someone point blank.

The rules as written are that ranged attacks have disadvantage if:
    1. there's a hostile creature within 5 feet of you,
    2. that creature can see you,
    3. and that creature isn't Incapacitated.

It doesn't matter what you're targeting. Personally I ignore this rule completely because I run 5E without feats so there wouldn't really be a reliable way to get rid of it, and I think it just kind of sucks in general.

I think its a great rule that effectively allows melee to harry ranged and without which ranged is exceedingly powerful. Its a nice middle ground between "you can't do anything" and "5 ft step means that ranged is melee"

Its easy enough to get rid of, you just need to provoke an attack of opportunity.

wbBv3fj.png
    Denada wrote: »

It doesn't matter what you're targeting. Personally I ignore this rule completely because I run 5E without feats so there wouldn't really be a reliable way to get rid of it, and I think it just kind of sucks in general.

Ah, yeah, I was looking at one of the Monk subclasses added in the new IKRPG supplement, and it makes firearms a Monk weapon, and allows you to replace one Flurry of Blows unarmed attack with an attack from a firearm, but either you are rolling with disadvantage, or skipping the leftover unarmed attack, unless you take the Gunner feat from Tal Rasha's, or XBE just for negating disadvantage.

But also I feel like a lot of the time I spend too much time worrying about optimizing characters, not because I feel like I need to be the most powerful, but because I'm always worried I'll end up making that's too weak/holding the group back.

Ah, yeah, I was looking at one of the Monk subclasses added in the new IKRPG supplement, and it makes firearms a Monk weapon, and allows you to replace one Flurry of Blows unarmed attack with an attack from a firearm, but either you are rolling with disadvantage, or skipping the leftover unarmed attack, unless you take the Gunner feat from Tal Rasha's, or XBE just for negating disadvantage.

But also I feel like a lot of the time I spend too much time worrying about optimizing characters, not because I feel like I need to be the most powerful, but because I'm always worried I'll end up making that's too weak/holding the group back.

You can move inbetween your attacks. So you can punch 3 times, move up to your movement, and then make the firearms attack.

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I think its a great rule that effectively allows melee to harry ranged and without which ranged is exceedingly powerful. Its a nice middle ground between "you can't do anything" and "5 ft step means that ranged is melee"

Its easy enough to get rid of, you just need to provoke an attack of opportunity.

In my experience of running 5E without the rule, I can say that this isn't a real problem.

edited November 2021

In my experience of running 5E without the rule, I can say that this isn't a real problem.

I feel like it does devalue str melee focused builds (who are already kind of eclipsed by dex builds in a number of other areas), if no players are taking advantage of that, that's fine, but it just makes the archer fighter better than the great weapon fighter

it also kind of lowers the texture of the battlefield when you have dangerous ranged attackers you can weaken by forcing a melee engagement, where they just become another melee combatant of equal strength

override367 on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    In an interesting development, one of the players in my primary campaign has told me he's retiring his sorcerer PC for a rogue, a kenku one at that. I'm kind of surprised that he wants to change from a powerful spellcaster and the social face of the party to a weapons-based character of a race that can barely speak. I'm curious how different this will end up feeling in play to go from DMing for a party with a blaster to the only caster being a bard/cleric that primarily plays support.

My other "secondary" campaign is shaping up to feel like almost the polar opposite of my primary. Whereas the primary has three players and three hour sessions ideally once a weak, the secondary has seven players, two hours sessions, and meets every other week. I feel like as a consequence of having so many players I'm having to go a more RP heavy route with it. It's still fun, though, and in the last session the party ended up splitting three ways for their long rest, giving me an opportunity to let them invent where they went to. One pair decided they have their own place where they live together and have sparring matches, another character established that he had a remote hideaway but invited several other characters to spend the night, and the third went with an NPC to investigate a ruin (that I had already decided was in the Feywild) and came out the next day with no memory of what had transpired but with some treasures he had apparently acquired during his time there (I was originally going to do more with this ruin, but we were low on time; I can always set-up some reason why he and the rest of the party might want to return).

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

I feel like it does devalue str melee focused builds (who are already kind of eclipsed by dex builds in a number of other areas), if no players are taking advantage of that, that's fine, but it just makes the archer fighter better than the great weapon fighter

it also kind of lowers the texture of the battlefield when you have dangerous ranged attackers you can weaken by forcing a melee engagement, where they just become another melee combatant of equal strength

Dex also gets better initiative.

steam_sig.png

Again, in my personal experience, these are concerns that just don't come to fruition in actual play. Now to be fair enforcing the rule also isn't that big of a deal in actual play. I just think it sucks and I like the way combat feels without it.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Watching the newest episode of Critical Role. Matt made the mistake of describing a place as being covered in strange black goo, which everyone else has been exclusively referring to as jizz.

Liam: "I kneel down in the jizz."
    Matt: "IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE COOL AND CREEPY!"
    Marisha: "I scoop up a handful of the black jizz..."

Also Matt's being a bit brutal in this fight. Three PCs have been downed and healed back to consciousness, one of which got hit while she was down for two death save failures.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Don't refer to the DM's cool and creepy ooze as jizz then. It seems fairly straightforward. :biggrin:

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Watching the newest episode of Critical Role. Matt made the mistake of describing a place as being covered in strange black goo, which everyone else has been exclusively referring to as jizz.

Liam: "I kneel down in the jizz."
    Matt: "IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE COOL AND CREEPY!"
    Marisha: "I scoop up a handful of the black jizz..."

Also Matt's being a bit brutal in this fight. Three PCs have been downed and healed back to consciousness, one of which got hit while she was down for two death save failures.

After the Ashhole in the mini-campaign, Matt is in no position to blame his players.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
This discussion has been closed.