As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fucking hell my notifications for Google Calendar and Outlook never went off and I almost missed getting my kids off the bus.

Does this only happen on battery or both battery and plugged in?

you're on a pixel, correct? I would go into app settings (in settings-->apps, not settings within the apps) and see if there's settings that can overwrite power saving options. My best geuss is that it's queuing notifications while on battery for apps it isn't supposed to.

The lack of Outlook/Google Calendar notifications is the main problem. It seems like maybe those are related to it being plugged in? I've got a meeting coming up soon so I'll keep it unplugged to see if it triggers it. And then I have another one 30 minutes later so I'll plug it in and see if I get it. I checked in the app settings and I didn't see anything in there that mentions power saving.
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Any Home or do not disturb/quiet time features enabled?

Not that I'm aware of. But I have a Google Nest Hub in the kitchen with 3 kids. Any way I can look these up? I thought normally they display a notification whenever they are activated.

• Options
    Okay I kept my phone off the charger all day and it seems like all my notifications came through without delay. What the hell?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Best thing I can think of is to pore through the Digital Wellbeing settings. Something in there may be turning off notifications when you're charging your phone. I have mine set to turn off notifications at night when it's charging, and to silence them while playing a game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay I kept my phone off the charger all day and it seems like all my notifications came through without delay. What the hell?

That is literally backwards of what I was expecting would happen. When on battery and sitting still android will queue some unimportant notifications so as a way to save battery.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Best thing I can think of is to pore through the Digital Wellbeing settings. Something in there may be turning off notifications when you're charging your phone. I have mine set to turn off notifications at night when it's charging, and to silence them while playing a game.

This is a reasonable guess. Some kind of routine functionality causing it. It could also be some kind of google assistant routine as well.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Yep, my guess would be Digital Wellbeing as well - like somehow your "asleep" time is set to all day, so it silences notifications when plugged in during that time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I checked it all and it's set to activate at 10pm when plugged in.

It just happened again and I haven't plugged my phone in yet. I just got all of my notifications at once so it was quiet and then bam 4 email notifications, nest cam notification, and weather.

Still haven't received the notification for the meeting that happens in 10 minutes.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Have you tried a factory reset? Or logging out Google on the device?

• Options
    Have you tried a factory reset? Or logging out Google on the device?

I might have to do this. I was trying to avoid it because it's such a pain in the ass... but not getting notifications is ALSO a pain in the ass lol

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Samsung has released One UI 4 (Android 12) for the S21 series. Fastest release of a new Andorid version ever from Samsung. First OEM outside of Google to release a stable Android 12.

the Z Fold 3, Flip 3, and S20 and Note 20 lines get it in december. The Fold 2, Note 10, S10, etc get it in January. Tablets and midrange devices follow later in 2022.

This is really good news that the biggest android OEM (in the western world) is on the ball like this. This, more than anything, will really help Android 12 adoption.

From all I've seen of it, I am now afraid of January (Note 10+ here)! I wonder how much will be OneUI as we know it, and how much will be Android 12 as we know it...

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Samsung has released One UI 4 (Android 12) for the S21 series. Fastest release of a new Andorid version ever from Samsung. First OEM outside of Google to release a stable Android 12.

the Z Fold 3, Flip 3, and S20 and Note 20 lines get it in december. The Fold 2, Note 10, S10, etc get it in January. Tablets and midrange devices follow later in 2022.

This is really good news that the biggest android OEM (in the western world) is on the ball like this. This, more than anything, will really help Android 12 adoption.

From all I've seen of it, I am now afraid of January (Note 10+ here)! I wonder how much will be OneUI as we know it, and how much will be Android 12 as we know it...

the reviews on the S21 are that it's mostly OneUI with just a sprinkle of material you themeing. Most of Samsung's UI carries over (which I personally prefer but that's just me)

here's an XDA post with screenshots of how it looked in September. Most of the updates from then were bugfix and smaller stuff, the final UI will/should look similar. It's still a Samsung phone.

https://www.xda-developers.com/one-ui-4-beta-features-overview/

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My Pixel 6 showed up today... Of course exactly one hour after I got to work. Now I'm sitting here looked at the cracked screen of my 4a, bursting with excitement so I can go home in 6 hours

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Enjoy that new phone high!

• Options
    Tell us how it tastes when you get home.

• Options
    So Google has done a couple things.

it has pushed out an update to the Pixel 6 that it says improves the performance of the fingerprint sensor. the early reviews of how effective it is are... mixed.

secondly, the company has confirmed that the phones will not charge at 30W. Now, the company never explicitly stated that they would, only saying that the phones will charge from 0 to 50 in 30 minutes on Google's 30W charger. bit shady, but technically correct. The max charging speed is 21W on the 6, and 23W on the 6 pro, though testing shows that the average charge rate from 0 to 100 is as low as 13W as google really, really, really ramps down the charging speed past 50%. Testing shows that it takes the Pixel 6 Pro almost 2 hours to get to 100% form 0, 49 minutes slower than the Galaxy S21, which has a max charge speed of 25W.

Google says it does this to preserve battery longevity. Personally, I can sympathize with that idea, but Google just seems extremely conservative with the charging curve, and there is no way for users to override that and let the phong charge faster. If charging speed is important to you, the Pixel 6 is not the phone for you.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    If I don't give a shit about either of those things, it's a good phone though, right?

@Local H Jay how's the phone?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    10 days into my 21 Ultra ownership and me still likey. I've yet to see this thing get bogged down or have any stuttering or hiccups switching between multiple open apps, no game I've fed it has made it heat up to where I'd almost burn my thumb like the 9+ would (hell, it might become my bored at work time waster of choice when I don't feel like packing my Switch), and getting settings and theme options back to roughly where I had them on my 9 has been less of a chore than I expected.

Biggest complaint I currently have is that the volume oomph over Bluetooth is a bit wonky and weak, so I have to crank the car speakers or BT headphone's volume a lot more to get it where I want it.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Quite happy with the phone, it's bigger than I think I realized which is nice! I like the color matching UI with the wallpapers.
    49wctgj25ojw.jpg
    rzqcjadhobyl.jpg
    3psigzrm5esp.png

It's almost too big, it's just thicker than the Pixel 3 XL (but the size reminds me of that). The speech to text is extremely impressive. I use it a lot so it's noticeable. This whole post was speech to text.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Appreciated, thank you

If the online rep for TMobile is being honest with me, I could get a pixel 6 and service very similar to what I currently get with Verizon for $20 less than my current bill a month

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I wouldn't doubt that. Verizon has historically been the most expensive mobile provider but if I were you I would research T-Mobile's reliability and customer satisfaction in your area. It's been a long time since I was a customer of theirs, but when I was you got what you paid for signal strength wise.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The phone app on my Pixel keeps rearranging my favorites alphabetically. It's happened twice today

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The phone app on my Pixel keeps rearranging my favorites alphabetically. It's happened twice today
    Noticed the same happening on my Pixel 3 XL; I didn't even install Android 12 yet!

• Options
    It fucking did it again. Stahp it Google!

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Anybody had drop down menus stop being click able in Chrome on Android? Can't figure what option to change...

Edited to add: Removed updates from Chrome and they work again so I'll just wait awhile for another patch before updating.

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    😲

• Options
    What the hell? That's a pretty major fuck up.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    "Why would you want to know about phone calls or texts from a loved one? You have us."
    u6hndbgl9y9b.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    First meeting of the day... Got the notification perfectly at 9:45. If it works again at 1pm then I will say that it fixed it.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Ah yes typical pikmin problem, I'm sure everyone expected this

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    That's wild. I actually can't even think of a way in that could possibly happen.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a doozy of a bug. Feels like there's some kind of flaw that can be exploited via malware if someone tried hard enough.

• Options
    Yeah that's a doozy of a bug. Feels like there's some kind of flaw that can be exploited via malware if someone tried hard enough.

oh you can 100% bet Niantic and Google are talking about this to figure it out.

• Options
    All of my notifications have been on time all day today. It was definitely Pikmin.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Somewhere a security researcher is punching the wall because they just lost out on a bug bounty to a Pikmin bug report

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I'm going to start with this thread instead of making a new one.

Right now, we send money regularly within our family via our banks. The banks send paper checks and it gets annoying. I'd like to find a way to do this electronically but apps like GPay, Venmo, and PayPal don't let you send regular payments.

(Examples: our portion of cell phone and streaming services monthly payments )

I feel like maybe there's some sort of regulation in banking that keeps this from being a feature.

All the banks have Zelle but my spaghetti collander at home has better security, so I'm not going to attempt that unless it's a last resort.

Is there an app/service I'm missing?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    That's weird, all my banks let me add an external account in the transfer page where I'd move money between checking and saving. I can only do an external transfer from checking but for me it's the same mechanism as moving money between my accounts

• Options
    I use the Chase banking app and it definitely allows for transfers and scheduled ones as well

• Options
    My Capital One allows transfers to external accounts, but I need the account number and routing number. If I have to set it up that way, I guess I can.

I can use Venmo and PayPal to send funds to my brother without needing that info. It's just that neither service lets me set a recurring payment.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My Capital One allows transfers to external accounts, but I need the account number and routing number. If I have to set it up that way, I guess I can.

I can use Venmo and PayPal to send funds to my brother without needing that info. It's just that neither service lets me set a recurring payment.

Interesting. Chase allows for scheduled payments, and it only requires they also have the chase app and their phone #/email

• Options
    up here in Canada Land we can literally send people money via email or text from our banking apps.