As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I don’t think he would be filming anything for Morbius now, that one should be nearly done.

Maybe the next Venom or maybe he’ll be in Armor Wars or something else coming to D+

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Definitely whatever the sinister six project is now

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Depending on what he means by "shooting" it could be the upcoming Spider Man Freshman Year or whatever animated series on D+. He wouldn't technically be Vulture since it's a prequel thing (I think, anyway?) but presumably he'd be around as his pre-Vulture self.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I feel like Sony and Marvel's relationship is on the rocks and i just want them to stay together and pump out more MCU babies but im being selfish and you just have to let the corporations live their own lives and be happy

maybe im treating corporations too much as people tho idk

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    By the way, no one has talked about the rest of Holland's interview where he walked his comments back a bit and said he'd be down for 3 more Spider-Man movies

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I feel like Sony and Marvel's relationship is on the rocks and i just want them to stay together and pump out more MCU babies but im being selfish and you just have to let the corporations live their own lives and be happy

maybe im treating corporations too much as people tho idk

Given the Venom post credits scene, I'm thinking their relationship is still pretty good. I could be wrong though.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't see what problem Sony could have with Disney. Sony basically gets to play with it's toys and periodically gets them shot into Disney's hyperberic time-chamber of popularity for cross-over films and the like. It's nothing but upside for them.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Are there details on exactly what the deal is between them? Like, do Disney get any cut from the Spider-Man movies, or do Sony get any cut from the Avengers movies featuring Spider-Man, etc?

I can't see them jumping out unless they really believe they can make more without being part of the MCU, but of late that doesn't seem to be likely any time soon.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Never underestimate hollywood exec pissing contests. They were ready to break, then Tom Holland got drunk and called Bob Iger pleading to work it out with Sony.

https://www.avclub.com/a-phone-call-with-drunk-tom-holland-helped-save-spider-1840240903

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Are there details on exactly what the deal is between them? Like, do Disney get any cut from the Spider-Man movies, or do Sony get any cut from the Avengers movies featuring Spider-Man, etc?

I can't see them jumping out unless they really believe they can make more without being part of the MCU, but of late that doesn't seem to be likely any time soon.

I'm not entirely sure of the details but I think Sony gets most of the profits from the Spidey movies, though technically Marvel makes them.

I wouldn't count out Hollywood hubris just yet -- Venom 2 was a huge moneymaker, something like the #2 movie of this year. Though I'd guess a lot depends on how well the goddamn Jared Leto Morbius movie does.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited November 2021
    My partner, who does not care about this stuff, said something off-hand last night about the Spider-Man trailer that I thought would be insane if they could pull off (it will never happen).
    But imagine if, instead of the new movie having the rumored Tobey, Garfield Spider-mans they actually just filmed three versions of No Way Home with each of the Spider-Mans to rep the multi-verse with a point of intersection at the climax across the three?

Again, obviously not going to happen, but it's the crazy kind of multi-versal take that I think would go along with what Holland was saying about nothing like this ever being done in cinema before. Bonus points if they release it like Clue.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    My partner, who does not care about this stuff, said something off-hand last night about the Spider-Man trailer that I thought we would be insane if they could pull off (it will never happen).
    But imagine if, instead of the new movie having the rumored Tobey, Garfield Spider-mans they actually just filmed three versions of No Way Home with each of the Spider-Mans to rep the multi-verse with a point of intersection at the climax across the three?

Again, obviously not going to happen, but it's the crazy kind of multi-versal take that I think would go along with what Holland was saying about nothing like this ever being done in cinema before. Bonus points if they release it like Clue.

It'd be wild, but I think it'd piss more people off than they'd like. Viewers can have a low tolerance for feeling they've been lied to.
    I'm wondering if they'll try to shoehorn anything from Spider-Verse into it. I'd kinda like to see Nicholas Cage as a live-action Spider-Noir.

The setup for this movie does seem like a golden opportunity to bring in Miles and Spider-Gwen. And just flesh out their stories with a D+ series.

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My partner, who does not care about this stuff, said something off-hand last night about the Spider-Man trailer that I thought we would be insane if they could pull off (it will never happen).

Like a reverse Clue? Neat. Never going to happen, but neat.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Also, remember that earlier this year Sony and Disney worked out a very broad streaming deal. I don’t remember all the details, but they seem to be getting along much better than they were 2 years ago.

And speaking of streaming, I’m kind of surprised that the other 5 Spidey films don’t seem to be available.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Also, remember that earlier this year Sony and Disney worked out a very broad streaming deal. I don’t remember all the details, but they seem to be getting along much better than they were 2 years ago.

And speaking of streaming, I’m kind of surprised that the other 5 Spidey films don’t seem to be available.

See I heard about this somewhat but I'm not sure the deals. None of Sony's stuff is on Disney+ which is a major bummer. I would *love* for them to get all the Spidey movies up in time for No Way Home. I've never seen the Andrew Garfield ones and I'd really like to. (I've also only seen Spider-man 3 like once, remember hating smug emo Tobey super super hard, but still would like to watch again). I could technically watch the first two Tobey movies since I own the DVDs (though Spidey 1 might be full screen :/ Yuck) but I'd love an easy way to watch the rest without shelling out like $30 in rental fees.

Edit: I tried to look it up but everything is very vague on timelines. The articles do say that like, ALL of the Spider-man movies should be coming to Disney+ but no good indication on when. It also mentioned the Sony-made stuff so it sounds like Disney+ could be getting Venom, Morbius, etc too.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't try to get the Spidey movies up before No Way Home though - it feels like a win-win for both Disney and Sony. It only gets people more hyped up to go see the movie.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »

See I heard about this somewhat but I'm not sure the deals. None of Sony's stuff is on Disney+ which is a major bummer. I would *love* for them to get all the Spidey movies up in time for No Way Home. I've never seen the Andrew Garfield ones and I'd really like to. (I've also only seen Spider-man 3 like once, remember hating smug emo Toby super super hard, but still would like to watch again). I could technically watch the first two Toby movies since I own the DVDs (though Spidey 1 might be full screen :/ Yuck) but I'd love an easy way to watch the rest without shelling out like $30 in rental fees.

According to the deal they reached in April the old Spidey movies are supposed to come to Disney+ at some point. They have not announced a specific date, but it should be coming at some point. Seems like next month would be a good time…

Yeah I really hope that's the case. The timing feels perfect.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I'm not sure why they wouldn't try to get the Spidey movies up before No Way Home though - it feels like a win-win for both Disney and Sony. It only gets people more hyped up to go see the movie.

Usually in these cases it's because they have to honor existing streaming deals. Though I think the movies are only up on Hulu premium, which is largely owned by Disney.

Marathon wrote: »
    The setup for this movie does seem like a golden opportunity to bring in Miles and Spider-Gwen. And just flesh out their stories with a D+ series.
    Eh. If they're going to do that, I'd rather they didn't take the fast route of just importing a character from another universe. It just doesn't feel as 'earned' to me.
    They already laid some very light background for MCU Miles ("I've got a nephew" in Homecoming, and they're like 7 or so years on from there in the timeline by now).

edited November 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    Eh. If they're going to do that, I'd rather they didn't take the fast route of just importing a character from another universe. It just doesn't feel as 'earned' to me.
    They already laid some very light background for MCU Miles ("I've got a nephew" in Homecoming, and they're like 7 or so years on from there in the timeline by now).

I don't think they have to pluck Miles from another universe to put him in the movie. Just have Tom Holland Spider-man retire at the end, which gives an opening for Miles. (edit: who would probably be like, a post credits thing I would guess)

Warlock82 on
    We already had a spider-verse movie with multiple alternate spider-person variants saving the multiverse. It was a good movie and it's got sequels coming. If they have to do a multiverse thing at all in the MCU, I'd really rather they didn't ape the one that's already been done. If Miles or SpiderGwen (what is her actual name? Ghost Spider or something?) are going to show up in the MCU I'd rather they just show up out of the main timeline, or after the multiversal events are concluded.

Miles already exists in the MCU. Donald Glover played Uncle Aaron in Homecoming and mentions his nephew specifically.

edited November 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, I read that they settled things pretty amicably. I wonder if Disney just settled to avoid the negative press.

I do wonder what "non-Black-Widow project" actually means. Because that could be interpreted as having nothing to do with Black Widow, or maybe just as not "Black Widow 2" (or some heavily Black Widow-involved project). I'm mostly curious because they could seriously always bring back the character, either as something weird with the soul stone (because that "death" was always confusing) or even just say "Hey, this is a multiverse different Black Widow" for, let's say, a Secret Wars movie or something (whereas that could be treated as more of a cameo than anything else).

Warlock82 on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I don't know, bringing the character back would probably fall flat with audiences.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Maybe Scarjo wants on that sweet Bradley Cooper/ Vin Diesel VA train and is voicing some new CG character?

Yeah, I read that they settled things pretty amicably. I wonder if Disney just settled to avoid the negative press.

I do wonder what "non-Black-Widow project" actually means. Because that could be interpreted as having nothing to do with Black Widow, or maybe just as not "Black Widow 2" (or some heavily Black Widow-involved project). I'm mostly curious because they could seriously always bring back the character, either as something weird with the soul stone (because that "death" was always confusing) or even just say "Hey, this is a multiverse different Black Widow" for, let's say, a Secret Wars movie or something (whereas that could be treated as more of a cameo than anything else).

I find it difficult to believe she'd be working with Feige on a Marvel project and it not be somehow or other Black Widow adjacent. Like, they're not going to cast her as Susan Storm or something.

She could be on to produce something like Spider-Woman or another female super hero film/show.
    I don't know, bringing the character back would probably fall flat with audiences.

I dunno, I think most people would be ok with it. People will always have some attachment to the OG Avengers.

She could be on to produce something like Spider-Woman or another female super hero film/show.

I dunno, I think most people would be ok with it. People will always have some attachment to the OG Avengers.

I was going to say something like, "As long as they don't bring her back by just popping her out of an earlier time period so that she loses all the stuff that happened since" but then I remembered that's exactly what they did with Loki and everybody was fine with it. So...

No no...it'll fall flat.

edited November 2021

I find it difficult to believe she'd be working with Feige on a Marvel project and it not be somehow or other Black Widow adjacent. Like, they're not going to cast her as Susan Storm or something.

Well, she could just be straight up directing/producing something unrelated. Like, she's going to be working with Disney on producing the Tower of Terror movie.

Warlock82 on

Well, she could just be straight up directing/producing something unrelated. Like, she's going to be working with Disney on producing the Tower of Terror movie.

No, the article said Feige specifically said it was a Marvel thing.

edited November 2021

No, the article said Feige specifically said it was a Marvel thing.

Yeah, she could still be doing that tho. She could direct, let's say, Fantastic Four, and it wouldn't be related to Black Widow but it would be a Marvel thing :P

Edit: Ah, this guy suggested something that I just thought of as well:
    https://screencrush.com/scarlett-johansson-top-secret-marvel-project/
    I think the most likely idea is that Marvel is working on either a film or a Disney+ series for the new Black Widow character, played by Florence Pugh, and Johansson is involved as a producer. After all, Feige said it had nothing to do with her Black Widow character. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t involve another Black Widow.

Warlock82 on

No no...it'll fall flat.

Was this message from the future that you seemingly have sent via Tardis or DeLorean?

I was going to say something like, "As long as they don't bring her back by just popping her out of an earlier time period so that she loses all the stuff that happened since" but then I remembered that's exactly what they did with Loki and everybody was fine with it. So...

He did immediately get a download of how the rest of his life turned out. That way he can basically be the same guy!

I had completely forgotten about how they did that with Loki.

No no...it'll fall flat.

Was this message from the future that you seemingly have sent via Tardis or DeLorean?
    :( It was a joke about Black Widow being a pancake on Vormir.

edited November 2021
    I realized that after. My apologies. Maybe throw some italics on the punchline to help dumb folk such as myself.

Marathon on
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    My money is on a situation similar to Fred on Angel. Natasha is dead, but her likeness will haunt the MCU as the form chosen by Lady Death.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My money is on a situation similar to Fred on Angel. Natasha is dead, but her likeness will haunt the MCU as the form chosen by Lady Death.

There are 2 reasons to have a personification of Death in the MCU, one is dead, and the other hasn't ever mentioned her at all. And only just became part of the MCU

This discussion has been closed.