As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Read a [book].

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Leviathan wakes chapter 48
    what the hell is going on. They wasted the Mormon generation ship somehow.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Re: New Spring, I would say read it now, on the grounds that it is good and books 8-10 are not so you might as well read it while you still like the series. Also it's not going to spoil anything major, you'll be fine.

Peen on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This is probably unique to me, but I want an e-ink kindle that is the size of a normal iPhone and I can easily fit in a pocket.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    This is probably unique to me, but I want an e-ink kindle that is the size of a normal iPhone and I can easily fit in a pocket.
    Xiaomi makes a small form factor e-reader that runs Android called the Inkpalm 5. It’s around $180 and has a 5.2” diagonal screen in a smartphone format.

Kobo makes a slightly larger 6” screen e-reader, too.

They aren’t Kindles, but they might be able to run the Kindle app if you absolutely need to access your Kindle library.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Xiaomi makes a small form factor e-reader that runs Android called the Inkpalm 5. It’s around $180 and has a 5.2” diagonal screen in a smartphone format.

Kobo makes a slightly larger 6” screen e-reader, too.

They aren’t Kindles, but they might be able to run the Kindle app if you absolutely need to access your Kindle library.

Actually converting mobi files, the kindle format, is pretty easy with a variety of third party solutions there to get them into epub. I kind of assume Ghost is aware of that sort of thing though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    So need opinions, should I read New Spring before the Wheel of Time show? I just started book #7 of WoT after starting a month or two ago, season 1 of the show seems to be focusing heavily on Moiraine, and I'd definitely rather read her backstory before seeing it, but I really don't wanna spoil anything in the mainline series of books. Most of what I'm seeing online is to read New Spring after book 10, should I wait til then or fast track it before the show?

I don't recall it spoiling anything by that far into the series, it's only an issue if you hear 'prequel' and try to read it before Eye of the World.

It's all about Moiraine getting to where she was in EotW. Also her contemporaries. Which I enjoyed, except that it really changed the implied timeline/experience of some of those established White Tower characters. Which is extra funny when they start complaining about the upstart main character youngsters who are more powerful than most of them.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Very little of new spring matters on a plot level. It's a character piece. Everything you learn has nothing much to do with the story of The Wheel of Time. The stuff that matters has already been drip-fed to you within the first two or three books.
    I.E. Moraine and Suian were privy to the prophecy of Rand's birth setting them both on their respective paths with Suian gunning for the Amyrlin Seat so Rand would have a sympathetic seat of power and Moraine spending as little time in the white Tower as possible while she looked for him.

Everything else is just stuff.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have finished Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett

I liked it!
    It was nice to see an origin for the Death of Rats, who showed up in the later City Watch books. I'm am even more confused about Reg Shoe now. Like, was he an undead before this book? It kinda made it seem like he was also undeaded along with Poons and that Death came to collect him at the end, but he is in later City Watch books as a watchman and still undead? This is probably my own fault reading these in series instead of chronological.

Anyway, on to Soul Music

Also I will be ordering the Witches novels today and probably also Pyramids and Small Gods, just to throw those in there too. Then I'll only need to order the Tiffany Aching books next month and I'll be done.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I liked it!
    It was nice to see an origin for the Death of Rats, who showed up in the later City Watch books. I'm am even more confused about Reg Shoe now. Like, was he an undead before this book? It kinda made it seem like he was also undeaded along with Poons and that Death came to collect him at the end, but he is in later City Watch books as a watchman and still undead? This is probably my own fault reading these in series instead of chronological.

Anyway, on to Soul Music

Also I will be ordering the Witches novels today and probably also Pyramids and Small Gods, just to throw those in there too. Then I'll only need to order the Tiffany Aching books next month and I'll be done.

I think you've already got all the parts of Reg Shoe's origin story, scattered through all the City Watch books.
    Reg died during The People's Revolution of the Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May and came back as a zombie shortly thereafter. Some people, like Reg and Mr. Slant, just come back for no apparent reason, although personality appears to factor into it. Possibly Reg was just too generally disgruntled to stay dead.

Windle Poons is something like a zombie, most zombies don't share his origins. Death just wasn't operating when he died, and as a wizard he was one of the few stray spirits who got back into his own body instead of ending up as a ghost queuing up outside Mrs. Cake's shop. Reg has been a zombie for a few decades at this point (Current Vimes Age-Rookie Vimes Age=Current Reg Undead Tenure) and has been unsuccessfully trying to organize the undead of the city.

Carrot hired Reg in Jingo to stop him from complaining about how the Watch ignored the needs of the undead community, whereupon Reg became the main focus of complaints from the undead community. This would have been after the events of Reaper Man.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The bad news is that only three people showed up for book club last night due to a number of complications and one case of crippling ennui, which is the lowest attendance since that time three years ago when I walked to the location in a sleet storm, found it closed due to a private party, and sat at a nearby sandwich shop while everyone else cancelled via late text.

The good news is that we didn't need to pick a book for next time, since December is our annual Dreck the Halls: Cheer and Loathing '021 meeting, where all we have to do is complain about the worst book we read over the last year.

The best news is that the three of us who showed up are three of the most powerful minds of our generation, and with multiple beers and a complete lack of naysayers, we came up with the best idea ever for a January book club: New Year's Boot Scootin' Book Clubbin' Eve, Brought To You By Hidden Valley Ranch!

Everybody reads a country music biography of their choice (or listens to a couple of episodes of the Cocaine & Rhinestones podcast, it being the holidays and all) and then we meet up for a potluck where everyone brings the most cowboy-ass food they can prepare and we talk about all the booze-soaked disasters we read about, except for the ones who read about Dolly Parton, who is a perfect human. Then we watch Pure Country, the movie where George Straight plays himself and Kyle "Coach Taylor" Chandler plays a no-talent over-produced sleazeball who is legally distinct from Garth Brooks. Assuming it's still streaming on HBO at that point.

Goddamn, we rule at book club.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Goddamn do I love Pure Country. It's such a beautiful targeted straight at me disaster.

I quote it probably more than any other movie

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh huh I did NOT realize that the last Expanse book was out this month... So I just ordered the last Expanse book.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Started Persepolis Rising
    Oh god, an entire planet full of SovCits?

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

I liked it!

Anyway, on to Soul Music

I'm working on Reaper Man right now and not really feeling it yet. I haven't really particularly enjoyed my admittedly limited experience with the wizards much, so that dominating the book so far is pretty...unexciting. I'm still confident it'll pick up for me before too long, but I really dug Mort start to finish (hah, except the little bit with the wizards), so it's a bit disappointing so far in comparison.
    I'm blanking on Death of Rats for some reason, despite just finishing all the City Watch books. Maybe it'll come back to me when it comes up in Reaper Man, but where did he show up in the Watch books?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

Your spoiler has either made this my next book or put it on the never list. Which should it be?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have you read the first six books of the Expanse? Because it would be a weird place to start if you hadn't. But you should definitely read them because they're good! Anyway the thing in the spoiler looks like it maybe isn't as big a deal as I expected, I thought the story was going to focus on it a lot more.

I got up to chapter 10. Man I love this series.
    I got genuinely choked up at Holden and Naomi telling the crew their plans to leave. I am super fond of all these characters.

I also have a lot of appreciation for how the authors portray close, platonic relationships. I feel like too often if a couple (especially a hetero couple) are really close in a book(/TV/film) there has to be some kind of romantic or sexual thing between them. But in this you have Bobby thinking she wants to "grow old" with Alex in a totally platonic way. As a person who only has platonic relationships it's just neat to see.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Your spoiler has either made this my next book or put it on the never list. Which should it be?

IIRC
    They fuck around and find out. Later their anti authority thing is a little positive though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

IIRC
    They fuck around and find out. Later their anti authority thing is a little positive though.

Do I get to learn about Maritime law?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im getting a new Kindle in December. I might break it in with Dune.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    So the left hand of darkness hits a point where it swaps from eh I'll read a chapter today to well I guess I can't put this down until I'm done now.

• Options
    I have read none of the expanse, so guess that's on the queue. Always hard to start popular series with the library q but once you get to like book 3 or 4 it tends to open up. Quitters all.

• Options
    So I have already beaten my goal of 1 book per month this year and I've also held to my "no dudes 2021" and I'm starting to feel like I've been too much in genre fiction lately.

So I think I'm gonna finally read this copy of the mysteries of udolpho that I bought way back in high school and apparently got 10 pages into. Also funny enough I used a newspaper clipping for a bookmark so I know I last touched it in 2006.

It's pretty big. And I assume old gothic writing means it will be pretty slow. So I'm wondering if I want to hit anything bitesize first then just finish the year with this monolith of gothic romance

• Options
    Huh. They're recording new audiobooks for the entire Discworld series. Replacing either Nigel Planer or Stephen Briggs seems like an entirely pointless exercise, but I guess I'm not mad at any of the narrators they've named so far? Having dedicated voices for Death and the footnotes are both good ideas, and Bill Nighy is a pretty inspired choice for the latter.

Oh well, I'll probably take the opportunity to buy Jingo and Carpe Jugulum since they're not available on US Audible and leave the rest alone.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    So question that requires major spoilers for the end of a desolation called peace so... Read it first?
    double deep. So, darj tarats sucks. And not because he is written to suck, though that is true too, but because he has so little explicable drive as a character. He is way too important as one of our few views of stationer life to be the tool he is, which is the plot device that throws a wrench in things and makes things happen. It feels like stuff either got cut, or I forgot it from book one, or he is just uniquely shit in a cast that is otherwise super super good and full of nicely conflicted characters. At least totally not doloros umbridge heritage lady is just her own clear sort of bad guy. Darj is a nothing because he only wants one thing and pursues it stupidly, though he's not supposed to be stupid. Anyway, others feel similar? Was I just pet peeving? Did I miss something?

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Tell me you hate yourself without telling me you hate yourself

me:
    ay56zfa6qtqn.jpg

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I have fond memories of that book from 25 years ago, which means I'll never read it again so it stays that way.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Peen wrote: »
    I have fond memories of that book from 25 years ago, which means I'll never read it again so it stays that way.

There's a fun goodreads review of the book, which led me to buy it. I just have to know. I have to.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1847230467?book_show_action=true

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Tell me you hate yourself without telling me you hate yourself

me:
    ay56zfa6qtqn.jpg

Han Solo,

What a man, Solo!

He’s every princesses dream!

(That was from long buried memory, so I may be a little off)

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm currently reading Strange Weather, Joe Hill's novella collection

I've just finished the second story, Loaded, and I'm not sure I'm much of a Joe Hill fan anymore

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I read Heart-Shaped Box, hated it, and never looked back.

An insult to Nirvana songs.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Joe Hill is the best cloning attempt they made from van bumper scrapings before they realized they could just bury Stephen King in the old semetary and he'd probably come out fine.

3z4qgs52h17o.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I love Joe Hill dearly and I'm divorcing all of you.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I really liked NOS4A2, and thought Heart Shaped Box was ok (I am admittedly not much of a Nirvana fan)

I did not like The Fireman

And his short story in the collection about a mall shooting really… really put me off reading anything else

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I liked Heart Shaped Box and N0S4A2 and Head Full of Ghosts and Locke and Key all quite a bit overall

I didn't read the Fireman because I do not believe books should be that long

And yes, the mall shooting story is the one I'm talking about, it fucking sucks out loud

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh hey I forgot about Locke and Key

Which I read two trades of and also did not like

So yeah I feel pretty comfortable saying I'm out

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I liked Heart Shaped Box and N0S4A2 and Head Full of Ghosts and Locke and Key all quite a bit overall

what's the, er, upper limit on book length in Straightzi-land?

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »

what's the, er, upper limit on book length in Straightzi-land?

I'd say ideal novel length is 300 pages or less, and by around 500 I'll start questioning the idea of reading it in the first place

There are, of course, plenty of books longer than that in my library, but I need to be in a specific mood or have additional external motivation to dig into one of those generally

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'm currently reading Strange Weather, Joe Hill's novella collection

I've just finished the second story, Loaded, and I'm not sure I'm much of a Joe Hill fan anymore

That shit fuckin sucks a dogs ass right? Like I had people try and talk me down from this in here before but that story sucks like a fuckib low flo toilet right

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    I've only read NOS4A2 but I distinctly remember being shocked by how much it read like a mid-tier Stephen King novel, like structurally and tonally and everything else, and it put me off so much that I never went back to Joe Hill's other work.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Some people will rebel against their fathers some people will apparently literally become their fathers like no kidding for real like celebrity impersonator level with attached writing career impersonation

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.