As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Huh, that’s kind of a bummer. I saw Tom tweeting those UC Engage clips but thought it was some new anime project and not a mobile game.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    those mobile game clips look like they got a bigger budget than the new battleouge show, yeesh

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    EDIT: Drat, damn lag

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Oh damn I love the detailing on this one, big improvement over the existing MG god gundam
    61X8Zxuz+FS._AC_SL1256_.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    GIMME, GIMME!!!

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ended up painting the black on this guy's eyes with a Gundam Marker, it came out pretty good looking, I think!

SeUdkoE.jpeg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Athenor wrote: »
    Unrelated to above tragedy...

The next Entry Grade is going to be the Nu!

https://bandai-hobby.net/site/nextphase2021autumn/1117/

.. doesn't appear to come with fin funnels or the bazooka, but it can support the HGUC ones if you have that kit.

We got funnel and bazooka confirmation… of compatibility from the HGUC???:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Ain't nothing gonna stop me now, I'm gonna make it
    I'm running hard and straight ahead
    Can't even take the time to mop
    The sweat that's streamin' like the rain off my head

Didn't know what I was living for, I couldn't take it
    I stood there with nothing I could believe
    My life was just a mystery
    I hid my heart and soul way up in my sleeve

Now that we're both together
    Trading lines to help each other understand
    Now I'm awfully glad we got mad at each other at all

*Down and out when You don't know what to do
    That's the time you reach your hand out softly to me
    No way we'll ever be parted again
    We'll be friends, you'll see my eyes are following you

No matter what the changes the future may bring
    It's you I'll remember always
    I'll trust you forever

Blowing the sweat off of me now
    Until I am awakening into a day to make a dream come true

It could be anybody
    Everyone has got a jewel shining inside
    But if they're covered in fears let the tears
    Wash those troubles away

Fight on strong until the sun goes down
    Raise your fist and wave it in the air like a flag
    Wounds all over from your head to your toes
    So it goes, but you have learned to laugh through it all
    We lie upon our backs and feel the Earth down below
    And squint at the stars above us.

Down and out when U don't know what to do
    That's the time you reach your hand out softly to me
    No way we'll ever be parted again
    We'll be friends, you'll see my eyes are following you

Don't give up! You're gonna make it today
    Move ahead, forever forward and never look back
    You're not alone or by yourself anymore
    You've got someone you can count on everyday.

No matter what the changes the future may bring
    It's you I'll remember always
    I'll trust you forever

You'll carry us on

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Hey y'all, what was the name of that company/person who does individual spare parts? Friend got a busted neck joint on a kotobukia kit, figured they may as well take a look

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Hey y'all, what was the name of that company/person who does individual spare parts? Friend got a busted neck joint on a kotobukia kit, figured they may as well take a look

https://mechapartsguy.com/

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Thank ya

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Is there a video out there along the lines of, "so you are about to open your first GUNPLA kit, here is shit to watch out for/tips"?

Edit: I guess, I'm sure these exist, is there a good one anyone in the thread might specifically recommend.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    mostly "carefully follow the instructions, watch out for pegs that are structurally important so you don't cut them off with the sprue by accident, keep an eye out for moments you should put a sticker on before continuing assembly, commonly the eye stickers"
    they usually make notes to warn about those sorts of moments in the instructions
    it's not THAT much more complicated than lego

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Brody, is there anything in particular that is worrying you?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Is there a video out there along the lines of, "so you are about to open your first GUNPLA kit, here is shit to watch out for/tips"?

Edit: I guess, I'm sure these exist, is there a good one anyone in the thread might specifically recommend.

I just did my first gunpla last month, and I'm working on my second one. I know I've learned some things and still have to learn others, but what is fresh in my mind are these:

1: Runners are labeled in letters and pieces in numbers. Organize your runners in alphabetical order to make it easy to find things. That way you're less likely to snip C3 when it is asking for A3.

2: Look carefully at where the runner meets the part you are removing. Most of the time it ends in a triangle-like bit that minimizes the point of contact. This is important to note for those pieces where they have nubs or stubs of plastic that are supposed to remain. Double check the shape and look of the part you are removing in the manual.

3: If you can't easily reach the thinnest part to cut it, feel free to cut the runner and then remove the piece afterwards. Caution, sometimes it clips and sends bits flying, so hold onto them to prevent bends or having them fling across the room.

4: Install Google Translate app on your phone. It can be helpful for deciphering a particularly interesting instruction.

5: Don't sweat your first gunpla. Grabbing a cheap HG or entry-grade will help keep you from regretting a mistake too much. It's not just about completing the model, but also the journey of building it. Don't feel rushed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Wash your runners?! I had never thought of that and haven't really seen the need on my two kits so far. They didn't seem dirty.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    there is mold release residue on them, it's not a big deal unless you're going to paint them IIRC

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah washing parts is mainly a consideration if you're painting the kit and that's after you've cut out/sanded the parts

if you're doing a straight build out of the box don't worry about it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Also I thought bandai kits were precleaned regarding their releasing agents? Like it isn't a big deal with their kits, or so I thought.

• Options
    The level of engagement you have with this (or any) hobby is entirely up to you and what you want to get out of it. If all you want to do is snip parts off the sprue and build, go for it. If you want to devote 200+ hours and an extra hundred bucks in paint, pla-plate, glue, etc, and make the most incredible custom diorama, do that. There are people that replicate Gundam models in papercraft at all kinds of scales. My only guiding principle for anyone in this hobby is "Do what makes you happy."

So, if you don't feel what you're doing necessitates washing the parts, then don't wash the parts.

Personally, I break my cleanliness down into two buckets:

Painted kits - I don't even try to be clean while building and prepping (e.g. sanding, scribing panel lines, etc). I'm going to wash the parts off in soapy water with a good scrubbing right before I paint, so I don't need to be clean.
    Non-painted kits - I always wash my hands before handling parts, sprues, or the kit in general. This is because I get night sweats which leaves me with very oily skin, and I find that getting the oil onto the kit can make it much more difficult to panel line. It also makes it easier to get waterslides to stick, if I'm using those.

I've been prepared for a while to have to completely disassemble a 3rd party kit when panel lining, but so far haven't had any unusual issues with mold release agents.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Brody, is there anything in particular that is worrying you?

Nah, just new my kit was going to be ready to start tonight, figured I would have more time to assign to thinking about the process today, didn't end up having that much time. Will probably still try and watch/read something before I start, so that I don't spend a bunch of time doing something thats not necessary, or don't eg. cut all the items off the sprues and then not know what any part is supposed to be or w/e.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

I just did my first gunpla last month, and I'm working on my second one. I know I've learned some things and still have to learn others, but what is fresh in my mind are these:

1: Runners are labeled in letters and pieces in numbers. Organize your runners in alphabetical order to make it easy to find things. That way you're less likely to snip C3 when it is asking for A3.

2: Look carefully at where the runner meets the part you are removing. Most of the time it ends in a triangle-like bit that minimizes the point of contact. This is important to note for those pieces where they have nubs or stubs of plastic that are supposed to remain. Double check the shape and look of the part you are removing in the manual.

3: If you can't easily reach the thinnest part to cut it, feel free to cut the runner and then remove the piece afterwards. Caution, sometimes it clips and sends bits flying, so hold onto them to prevent bends or having them fling across the room.

4: Install Google Translate app on your phone. It can be helpful for deciphering a particularly interesting instruction.

5: Don't sweat your first gunpla. Grabbing a cheap HG or entry-grade will help keep you from regretting a mistake too much. It's not just about completing the model, but also the journey of building it. Don't feel rushed.

Uh... My RG Hi-Nu arrived in the mail... so this will be exciting?

• Options
    it's not that bad :D RG is on the more complicated side of things but they're still pretty easy, and have good instructions. Just more parts, and lots more stickers if you want to use them all.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That's also the newest RG, so it has the top of the line engineering.

• Options
    se0erjzgsudl.jpg

13 sprues O_O

• Options
    real grades have a LOT of parts lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    13 runners is a lot?!

:D

(I started with High-end master models.)

• Options
    Also, the box is way bigger than I expected.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the hi-nu is a hefty lad, even at 1/144 scale

some recent lalaport gundam pics:

they're gonna finish building this thing before i finish my barzam, aren't they..

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Tbf they're getting paid

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    is the hi-nu like the nu in that it's much larger than a typical mobile suit?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    yep, like the nu and unicorn and other suits from that part of the timeline it's a head or two taller than the 'standard' gundam size

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    RG Nu Gundam and Sazabi are about as tall as some MGs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    RG Nu Gundam and Sazabi are about as tall as some MGs.

The Nu and the Sazabi are from Char's Counterattack. The Hi-Nu and Nightingale are from a reimagining of Char's Counterattack.

RG Sazabi (1/144) is the same size as the MG F91 (1/100).

2v0IcBS.png

• Options
    oh hey, my two outstanding p-bandai orders just shipped!

... oh god, more backlog.

• Options
    So I was googling sprue organizers and someone mentioned cutting everything off the sprue and putting it in a labelled ziplock bag. Does this work? I feel like it'd be too hard to figure out which part is C1-7 vs C1-20 or w/e. Also, if I were going to do this, I think I'd rather get some cheapish small Tupperware and label it with masking tape?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That is a bad idea for a beginner IMO. You'd only need to do that if you're planning out a paint job or something. The most I would do is look at the step in the manual, cut out all the pieces required for it, then put all the sprues away and start cleaning those pieces up.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I have never found a sprue organizer that I actually like. I have taken to just using the box itself (usually the lid) to stand the sprues upright.

That is not to say I don't want one. I just can't seem to find one that holds things securely while being flexible enough for the variety of sprues I work with.

This discussion has been closed.