As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    NFTs are such an amazing time saver. As soon as someone starts talking about how great they are, you can turn it off and go watch something worthwhile.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hopefully that's not indicative of the current G4 as a whole, but I'm not holding out hope.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    who even is that

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh no, Abby from Brooklyn is there now.

Oh no....

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffart.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Finally, something that will allow me to monetize my behaviour in social spaces.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Crypto art continues to be awful

I assume he will claim to have forgotten to note on air that he had financial investments in them

Couscous on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Man I hope someone comes out with a cattle prod you trash man.

You left out the completely sincere non shrieking bark he let out afterwards.

To call it a laugh would be dishonest to future generations who may not know what genuine happiness sounds like.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/393o373751k48k/a-note-from-the-rockstar-games-team-re-grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-th
    A Note from the Rockstar Games Team RE: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition
    November 19, 2021
    Hi everyone,

We want to provide an update regarding the unexpected technical issues that came to light as part of the launch of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition.

Firstly, we want to sincerely apologize to everyone who has encountered issues playing these games.

The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us as we know they are to fans around the world. The updated versions of these classic games did not launch in a state that meets our own standards of quality, or the standards our fans have come to expect.

We have ongoing plans to address the technical issues and to improve each game going forward. With each planned update, the games will reach the level of quality that they deserve to be.

A new Title Update is on the way in the coming days for all versions of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition that will address a number of issues. We will update everyone as soon as it is live.

In the meantime, it pains us to mention that we are hearing reports of members of the development teams being harassed on social media. We would kindly ask our community to please maintain a respectful and civil discourse around this release as we work through these issues.

While one of the goals of the Definitive Editions was to allow players to enjoy these games on modern platforms for many years to come, we also understand that some of you would still like to have the previous classic versions available for purchase.

We will be adding the classic PC versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas back to the Rockstar Store shortly as a bundle. Additionally, everyone who has purchased Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PC from the Rockstar Store through June 30, 2022, will receive these classic versions in their Rockstar Games Launcher library at no additional cost. We will update everyone as soon as these are back in the Rockstar Store.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while we work through these updates to ensure these games meet everyone's justifiably high standards.

Sincerely,
    Rockstar Games
    "unexpected." Sure.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Whether harassment happens or not, it's now a standard part of the "apology" playbook to claim it is happening to try to throw some chaff out. But not to assist any team members receiving said harassment, I have no doubt...

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I'm about 3 hours in to Dawn: Song of the Evertree and it really is just island decluttering and picking up decoration pieces to go in your village with some very slight citybuilding so far. I have two villagers! They're both weird but they like the town so I invited them to stay, and built an inn so people cam just visit.

In between doing that, I've flown up to a treebranch to harvest currency and get building supplies and pet new animals that have shown up.

And there's a non-binary option on the character select! Which is great! I can be myself! I can get character models right for character creation since I look like an NPC [bald, beard, frequently wears a shirt that says SHIRT on it and a hat that has a picture of that hat on it] so pronouns are such a huge thing for me.

I'm digging it and can't wait to leave work so I can clean my little island some more and have a book refer to me as they.

Update: I have four villagers now, and moving buildings after they're constructed is as easy clicking and moving to a new spot. I was able to move all the houses out of the way so that I could have a bakery, inn and flowershop in specific area, and made a kind of culdesac with the three houses.

The more you clean up the first area you unlock, the larger it gets - this trip, I was able to start playing with the animals that spawned in the areas I had cleaned 3 times before [the map expands, the area you cleaned now stays clean, and you can harvest materials from each cleaned section] before trekking over to a cave that popped up with the new area. It also spawned an NPC shop, which sold keys and relics - I ignored it since I didn't know what they do - and went into the cave, which had light, unfailable platforming and an easy block puzzle. At the end? A bunch of chests that contained currency, and two locked chests. So that's what the keys were for. But one of the chests without a lock had a key inside it, so I was able to grab the loot and leave

Something the game does that I love - whenever you do *anything* in the cleaning sections, there's a pinata of currency, town decorations, and upgrade pieces. Water a seed? Loot. Sing for a wilting plant? Oh baby. Water a tree that's eight times your size? Gonna have to put on your running shoes because that shit is popping everywhere.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/393o373751k48k/a-note-from-the-rockstar-games-team-re-grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-th
    A Note from the Rockstar Games Team RE: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition
    November 19, 2021
    Hi everyone,

We want to provide an update regarding the unexpected technical issues that came to light as part of the launch of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition.

Firstly, we want to sincerely apologize to everyone who has encountered issues playing these games.

The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us as we know they are to fans around the world. The updated versions of these classic games did not launch in a state that meets our own standards of quality, or the standards our fans have come to expect.

We have ongoing plans to address the technical issues and to improve each game going forward. With each planned update, the games will reach the level of quality that they deserve to be.

A new Title Update is on the way in the coming days for all versions of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition that will address a number of issues. We will update everyone as soon as it is live.

In the meantime, it pains us to mention that we are hearing reports of members of the development teams being harassed on social media. We would kindly ask our community to please maintain a respectful and civil discourse around this release as we work through these issues.

While one of the goals of the Definitive Editions was to allow players to enjoy these games on modern platforms for many years to come, we also understand that some of you would still like to have the previous classic versions available for purchase.

We will be adding the classic PC versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas back to the Rockstar Store shortly as a bundle. Additionally, everyone who has purchased Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PC from the Rockstar Store through June 30, 2022, will receive these classic versions in their Rockstar Games Launcher library at no additional cost. We will update everyone as soon as these are back in the Rockstar Store.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while we work through these updates to ensure these games meet everyone's justifiably high standards.

Sincerely,
    Rockstar Games
    "unexpected." Sure.

They can't fix it though, not really, unless they manually overhaul the entire thing...?
    A remaster remake, practically

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    so the G4TV reboot has transphobic sessler, a NFT guy and based on a minute of watching it after the clip that was shared; really bad production values.

neat.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    November 19, 2021
    "unexpected." Sure.

They can't fix it though, not really, unless they manually overhaul the entire thing...?
    A remaster remake, practically

They will probably remove stuff like Jurbpol: and call it a day

cYBz8O8.png

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    new HB bundle is good value if you don't have Heavy Rain and Beyond yet, Detroit is not at its historical low though with the coupon applied

h2s485dctw8r.jpg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Yeah. There's a guy on there i wanted to watch, Austin Creed (aka Xavier Woods), and this bit was the very first thing I saw when I tuned in. I immediately turned it back off lmao. The twitch chat was NOT having it, 10k people screaming fuck NFTs, Kevin was having a little tantrum about it on-air when he saw it.
    It would have been hilarious if it wasn't so infuriating!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    November 19, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Sincerely,
    Rockstar Games
    "unexpected." Sure.

What a scuzzy little underhanded way of pushing the Rockstar store. Notice how they didn't mention any other storefronts.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    November 19, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Sincerely,
    Rockstar Games
    "unexpected." Sure.

When you run it through an AI upscaler and don't test anything I'll bet it's unexpected!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The rain problems could hardly be unexpected given how noticeable and awful it would be to pretty much any QA people

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Re-releasing the old games on their shitty store also doesn't make up for continuing to C&D fan projects that happen to completely embarrass their own remaster.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    so the G4TV reboot has transphobic sessler, a NFT guy and based on a minute of watching it after the clip that was shared; really bad production values.

neat.

it also has Fiona Nova so despite it all I still hope for some success for them because I really love her and her work.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

neat.

it also has Fiona Nova so despite it all I still hope for some success for them because I really love her and her work.

Black Hokage's score reasoning for Half-Life Blue Shift, lol

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The rain problems could hardly be unexpected given how noticeable and awful it would be to pretty much any QA people

I would be pretty surprised if they ran QA beyond "will this literally run?"

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    What are the big graphics showcase games these days? I'm getting a new computer and I'm not sure what would be good games to check out on it, other than seeing how many FPS I can get in the games I already play.

I guess it might mostly be games that I have little interest in, like Cyberpunk and Battlefield.

Here's some games I have on my list with my new PC @Peewi

Control
    Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey
    Red Dead 2
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
    Total War: Warhammer 2/3
    The Rift Breaker (gamepass)
    Forza 5 (gamepass)

I'm still waiting for Cyberpunk to get some more patching before jumping into it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    November 19, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Sincerely,
    Rockstar Games
    "unexpected." Sure.

When you run it through an AI upscaler and don't test anything I'll bet it's unexpected!

I don't think Rockstar necessarily didn't see very much of the game before release, though I do think it's possible. which to me is less of a defense and more of a confession.

anyway, piracy becomes more valid every day, since they care way more about preservation of media than the companies who own shit.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    0c7enm1klaxt.png

The age of the Crater Lake pirates is long over. Now we have Crater Lake privateers sailing under internationally recognized letters of marque and reprisal. And so we progress.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It's funny to me because Crater lake is actually tiny.

The island is called Wizard Island, which is great.

captaink on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    transphobic sessler
    Wait, really? Damn, I thought he was one of the good ones.

As for Kevin Pereira's personality and behavior, this is all 100% consistent with the G4-on-actual-TV of 1000 years ago.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Control
    - Research:
    Beat Mold-1. A decent Flaahgra-type
    - *yet another five waves of Hiss spawn in* game, I promise your combat is not as interesting as you think it is
    - pacified the Moving Letters. Lore mentions the "Heard Archivist". which seems to be a typo
    - Containment:
    seems I should have said I beat a Former; or the fridge. There's another in this Flamingo, though Jesse thinks it's the same individual. And it's the most annoying boss run so far; there's no real reason to have one.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You should see the Unheard Archivist. Dude knows how to party.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Control
    - Research:
    Beat Mold-1. A decent Flaahgra-type
    - *yet another five waves of Hiss spawn in* game, I promise your combat is not as interesting as you think it is
    - pacified the Moving Letters. Lore mentions the "Heard Archivist". which seems to be a typo
    - Containment:
    seems I should have said I beat a Former; or the fridge. There's another in this Flamingo, though Jesse thinks it's the same individual. And it's the most annoying boss run so far; there's no real reason to have one.

This is regarding your last spoiler, only click it if you want a clarification.
    There is specifically one Former, you basically chase it off and do not kill it. This is made explicit in the (highly recommended to play) post game DLC, "Foundation."

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Motion Twin
    @motiontwin
    You nailed it, Hollow Knight is our last guest! The Knight is a bit too shy to show his face. However he was still nice enough to let us use his weapon! And how cool is it to pogo on enemies?
    Free Update 26: "Everyone is here!" will bounce this Monday! #deadcells #HollowKnight
    Dead Cells is getting a big crossover event on Monday, featuring cameos and content from Hollow Knight, Curse of the Dead Gods, Blasphemous, Hyper Light Drifter, Skul, and Guacamelee. More previews:

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Dead Cells is one of those games that I keep seeing and keep going "wait that came out right? these aren't early access updates, this game is complete, isn't it?"

I wonder if these updates keep driving more sales or if they're just doing it for the love of the game or whatever

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Inscryption question
    I've gotten through the bosses after first experiencing their gimmick pretty well... but then I get to the cabin encounter and I'm playing it back in my mind and I'm not sure how I'm going to last long enough to get to the second phase, never mind the third.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I've never played Hades but I like that genre of games, what console/desktop offers the best experience for it?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Inscryption question
    I've gotten through the bosses after first experiencing their gimmick pretty well... but then I get to the cabin encounter and I'm playing it back in my mind and I'm not sure how I'm going to last long enough to get to the second phase, never mind the third.
    I don't know how else to put this so I'll put it plainly: you can and will discover a method to break the game's systems over your knee like a twig

You may feel the game will try to stop you, that there's no way that this idea you've developed will be allowed! But it will be

And you'll feel very clever right up until the moment you read that someone else broke the game just as badly in a completely different way and then you will realize the mad genius of the game: its rules are a prison only for itself

This is me being very vague because I think there's a bunch of ways to do this that slowly make themselves apparent (the game introduces new places on the map to visit that get you different benefits) but if you want a hint as to what I found to be the primary avenue for game-breaking power:
    mess around in the actual cabin some. There's an item you can eventually free that involves the set of statues. This'll get you a squirrel totem

Then seek out the woodcutter on the map as often as possible

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Dead Cells is one of those games that I keep seeing and keep going "wait that came out right? these aren't early access updates, this game is complete, isn't it?"

I wonder if these updates keep driving more sales or if they're just doing it for the love of the game or whatever

yes, it's complete

if that's the question

iirc, the main group that made the game has moved on, but a few of them splintered off and are maintaining/updating the game for the foreseeable future. So it's very much love of the game

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dead Cells has also had some paid updates to help fund things, which are absolutely worth it if you love the game.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Tamin wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

yes, it's complete

if that's the question

iirc, the main group that made the game has moved on, but a few of them splintered off and are maintaining/updating the game for the foreseeable future. So it's very much love of the game
    It's also interesting to me that while the original Dead Cells was developed by Motion Twin, which operated as worker's co-op that (if they are to be believed) has no bosses and pays everyone the same, the updates to Dead Cells from a certain point onward have been developed by Evil Empire, the spun-off company, which is not a worker's co-op.

The interviews I've read make it sound like there are some good reasons for running Evil Empire under a familiar, capitalist model rather than as co-op, reasons that aren't directly related to making fat stacks of cash, buuuuuuuut also I'm curious where the slider between "love of the game" and "love of the money" sits.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm dumb as a doorknob and don't know jack about shit, so it's entirely possible that Evil Empire is operated with only the purest of intentions.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    So I'm sure not many people besides me care about Leisure Suit Larry, but I'm playing through the reboot game that was released in 2018, and I'm pretty pleasantly surprised. It feels like a game made by people who understand what made the Larry games good - weird puzzles, stupid jokes, raunchy AND non-raunchy humor, but also some earnestness and naivete in Larry that makes him likeable. I think it does have some rough edges, and sometimes they have jokes about things that they shouldn't, but overall I'm pretty happy with it, especially in comparison to what those console games looked like back in the day.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.