As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Was organizing the games into a new cabinet bought specifically for this and found we still had an extra board expansion for Scythe. Does anyone have Scythe and want one? This isn't anything special it's just the extra board bit that lets you make the map bigger to reduce clutter in high player count games, but it's nice to have.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/207791/scythe-board-extension

PM me I will happily ship it to a new home for free (assuming you don't live somewhere very expensive to ship to).

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I know we're in the middle of an enormous shipping apocalypse, but man it sucks to know that it'll be nearly a year for one of my kickstarters to come in. :( And that at least 1 or 2 others are literally in ships waiting to offload.

Return to Dark Tower looks like it's ultimately going to end up being a year late. But at least it's going to show up...which is not something that can be said for every kickstarter that went through this pandemic.

w0wu7atmjip0.jpg

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    If these had been cheaper I would have made some bad purchasing decisions at Ollie's today, but $40 a case was well beyond my limit for spending on such an obviously bad game

• FryFry Registered User regular
    "Their price" my ass, ain't nobody selling that shit for $6 a pop

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    We're nearly at the point when an Austin Powers game from 1999 popping up is as much of a time jump as the character from the movie.

MrBody on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I... don't think I would have had your self control.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    If only that was a case of Star Wars Decipher CCG...

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I think it was around 1999 that I went to buy some Battletech CCG packs for my friend for his birthday, and found out that the game store had them on clearance for $1 and the employees hadn't realized it either. Wasn't marked. I bought out the store (iirc a box and a half?) and we had an amazing night cracking packs and battling each other.

We also played so much Decipher SW CCG. I still have so many cards. I got out around Dagobah.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Decipher's Star Wars still has an active community. Virtual sets are still being released and some cards really went up in value. One day I'll get the energy to sell off my collection.

Austin Powers is definitely not worth that much though.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I think it was around 1999 that I went to buy some Battletech CCG packs for my friend for his birthday, and found out that the game store had them on clearance for $1 and the employees hadn't realized it either. Wasn't marked. I bought out the store (iirc a box and a half?) and we had an amazing night cracking packs and battling each other.

We also played so much Decipher SW CCG. I still have so many cards. I got out around Dagobah.

My brother loves the Battletech CCG and with the starter and 5 boosters he bought back then he got really lucky like a legendary level of luck
    He basically got sans the resources, I know he got natasha kerensky, her timber wolf the omni timber wolf and a bunch of clan wolf themed cards as where he lived at the time had a battletech ccg group and they were bitter about what he got as they were trying to trade the inner sphere mechs off him {he got the really rare ones of that as well} for in his words trying to swindle him for certain cards
    He was sad they quit making the game as it "didn't have a following"
    But he like a few other people I know of are ones in that venn diagram that would pay for gunpla of mechs even though it's messy to even try to start that

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Okay, I have my copy of GTW2nd.

The plastic insert is...useless. It keeps everything orderly in a pretty way but does nothing for setup and teardown. I tossed it and bagged everything as I did the original. Everything else is lovely.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

It's also on Hasbro Pulse, Seeing the prices tank from the 500/700 to 350/500 now for the mythic I will wait and see since it's 125.99 for the base game

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I backed the Heroquest Mythic last year on Hasbro pulse.

Just found out that they won’t be shipping to any backers in Canada until they finish shipping to all the backers in the USA.

However, for UK and AUS backers, because those orders went through a bulk purchase 3rd party, have already been shipped and some have been distributed already.

It is incredibly likely that I will be seeing it in retail before I receive what I paid for in September 2020.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Just found out that they won’t be shipping to any backers in Canada until they finish shipping to all the backers in the USA.

However, for UK and AUS backers, because those orders went through a bulk purchase 3rd party, have already been shipped and some have been distributed already.

It is incredibly likely that I will be seeing it in retail before I receive what I paid for in September 2020.

This is pretty normal for Kickstarter-style purchases and it's why when I saw that Hasbro was Kickstarting Heroquest my response was "ahaha go fuck yourself."

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

That is ridiculous. They should just box up all the Canadian product and send it to a fulfillment center in Canada to make it cheaper if that's the concern. I've seen companies do that. Making them wait is just dumb. These are the people who will get others to play and create hype for a retail release.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Speaking of Kickstarters, CMON is starting to tease their next one, it's their 50th. They sent out a little package with a slip of paper with the phrase "He is coming to your tabletop" and their logo along with Marvel and Spinmaster, and a mini of the Silver Surfer, it's not in Marvel United's chibi style so who knows if it's just gonna be more of that.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

This is pretty normal for Kickstarter-style purchases and it's why when I saw that Hasbro was Kickstarting Heroquest my response was "ahaha go fuck yourself."

I actually invented news swear words when I saw Hasbro pulling that shit.

Genuinely contemptible

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Maybe it'll be in stores first. Maybe not. I'd wait to see before getting myself worked up over it, personally. It's pure speculation at this point, is it not?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Maybe it'll be in stores first. Maybe not. I'd wait to see before getting myself worked up over it, personally. It's pure speculation at this point, is it not?

They have gone from Mythic tier gets first before they ship other backers, now it’s all of USA before any of Canada.

Not that they actually announced anything, they still have everyone listed as shipping Fall 2021.

Just people have been posting screenshots of conversations with Customer Service when they email or text looking for updates.

And stores in the USA have been advertising new orders from them will ship in December, completely bypassing advanced orders from last year directly from Hasbro.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

The plastic insert is...useless. It keeps everything orderly in a pretty way but does nothing for setup and teardown. I tossed it and bagged everything as I did the original. Everything else is lovely.

Same. It was downright infuriating. No, game, I'm not going to separate all the tiles from their labeled bags just to put them back in those six wells. Regardless, I can't wait to play it. It hasn't been an easy teach so far. Then again, neither was Maracaibo.

I also think I'm finally realizing that dudes-on-a-map games aren't my jam. I want them to be! I even went all in on Ankh. But I think I prefer smaller-focused skirmishes (ala Super Fantasy Brawl) versus area control games of pure conquest. I don't enjoy the stress or strategizing.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    It was the sad low pay I got last year {I will not recommend rebuilding your life in the middle of a pandemic with a bad job going to hell} is why I passed on the crowdfunding of hero quest
    I waited to see if it would be offered later, I did want the mythic tier stuff and hoped they would offer it on the side for those that missed out or passed on it.

It is not about the shipping I feel contempt, it is about the very notion that mother fucking Heroquest needs a mother fucking crowdfunder to get made.

As if there was any risk at all in this project.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Anything with nostalgia attached to it is very risky by nature.

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Ollies has had a run of old Decipher starter and booster boxes the last year or two. Star Trek CCG unlimited premier and the Austin Power booster boxes were first, then last year it was Mirror, Mirror and Trouble with Tribbles boxes. Then the last couple of months saw Wars booster boxes and Star Trek starters in stores. People have wondered if maybe Hills Wholesale sold off a lot of non-moving stock to them. Sadly no sign of any Star Wars or Lord of the Rings boxes.

steam_sig.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Played Merchants Cove last night for the first time. I did the Kickstarter with all the expansions so there's just an absolute shit-ton of cardboard and plastic in there. Took us a while to sort out which bits were for whom because while the box thankfully comes with "here is how we think you should fit all this shit into the box" instructions it doesn't include all the expansion stuff and there aren't pictures of most of the components in the rules, it'll just say "X cards" or whatever.

Was fun once we got going, though. I agree with my friend's sentiment that "They wanted to make a bunch of different games so instead of picking one they just did all of them". I've played other highly asymmetrical games and it's weird how Merchants Cove basically does asymmetric solitaire around the edges of an otherwise shared, fairly simple structure. I could tell pretty easily what one player was going for from their board, another I kinda guessed, and the last I had no idea what he was doing most of the time. I'm uncertain whether they're purposefully obfuscating other players' strategy outside of the for-sale items board or if all the asymmetry is just to increase replayability.

Anyway, it's a cute game with pretty nice components and, after the significant "figure out what the hell to do with this huge box of bits" period, a fair bit of fun. Don't regret kickstarting it. Also didn't love it so much that if I'd played someone else's copy I'd think, "Man! I gotta get me that!"

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Played Merchants Cove last night for the first time. I did the Kickstarter with all the expansions so there's just an absolute shit-ton of cardboard and plastic in there. Took us a while to sort out which bits were for whom because while the box thankfully comes with "here is how we think you should fit all this shit into the box" instructions it doesn't include all the expansion stuff and there aren't pictures of most of the components in the rules, it'll just say "X cards" or whatever.

Was fun once we got going, though. I agree with my friend's sentiment that "They wanted to make a bunch of different games so instead of picking one they just did all of them". I've played other highly asymmetrical games and it's weird how Merchants Cove basically does asymmetric solitaire around the edges of an otherwise shared, fairly simple structure. I could tell pretty easily what one player was going for from their board, another I kinda guessed, and the last I had no idea what he was doing most of the time. I'm uncertain whether they're purposefully obfuscating other players' strategy outside of the for-sale items board or if all the asymmetry is just to increase replayability.

Anyway, it's a cute game with pretty nice components and, after the significant "figure out what the hell to do with this huge box of bits" period, a fair bit of fun. Don't regret kickstarting it. Also didn't love it so much that if I'd played someone else's copy I'd think, "Man! I gotta get me that!"

It kind of sucks that the expansions don't really have a place - especially the [REDACTED] piece. I've gotten everything down to the main box and the expansion box, at least.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Same. It was downright infuriating. No, game, I'm not going to separate all the tiles from their labeled bags just to put them back in those six wells. Regardless, I can't wait to play it. It hasn't been an easy teach so far. Then again, neither was Maracaibo.

I also think I'm finally realizing that dudes-on-a-map games aren't my jam. I want them to be! I even went all in on Ankh. But I think I prefer smaller-focused skirmishes (ala Super Fantasy Brawl) versus area control games of pure conquest. I don't enjoy the stress or strategizing.

Funny enough, I agree. I sold off Cry Havoc and I'm going to sell off Inis next month. I'm keeping Kemet:BaS as my one and only "lets wrassle" game.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Anything with nostalgia attached to it is very risky by nature.

Yea, with HeroQuest obviously its going to sell some amount of copies, but is it going to sell enough to warrant a production run? Their marketing is dumb though, the way they frame it. All Hasbro needs to say is "our designers cooked up this cool thing, are there enough of you out there willing to buy it? If so here is the pre-order link. If we get 1000 pre-orders by X date we'll charge you and start production".

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited November 2021
    Heroquest sold 126 thousand copies in the first year of release in the UK alone. It is one of the most succesful hobby board game products of all time.

Hasbro pitched the reprint funding campaign at needing 10,000 copies sold.

This was the surest of sure things.

Alistair Hutton on

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    a
    Heroquest sold 126 thousand copies in the first year of release in the UK alone. It is one of the most succesful hobby board game products of all time.

Hasbro pitched the reprint funding campaign at needing 10,000 copies sold.

This was the surest of sure things.

While you're probably right, 1989 was a very different landscape in which to publish a D&D-lite boardgame. There was nothing else like it on the market except actual D&D. I could go out today and buy 3 different "D&D in a box" games with the actual D&D logo on them, and probably 6 more without it that all have a lengthy campaign mode. I had a HeroQuest set in '89 and thought it was awesome but aside from nostalgia I have no particular desire to own another. I've already got 5 big boxes on my shelf of campaign dungeon crawlers I haven't even opened yet.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Does Heroquest play well in a modern context? I know they created expansions for the new one.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Does Heroquest play well in a modern context? I know they created expansions for the new one.

I don't know about the new version because I haven't seen the rules anywhere yet. If it's just the old ones you'd definitely have to do something about the roll-to-move mechanics, because ugh. And because movement is just rolling d6's, there's a lot of filler space compared to something like Ashardalon or even Gloomhaven.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I bet a significant number of people bought it in a Kickstarter (ish) fuelled wave of enthusiasm that would not have ended up buying it later from store shelves in a more considered evaluation compared to the rest of the over saturated mini-heavy dungeon crawler market.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

I mean, as long as you're not the Wizard. Since you can't use basically anything you could find as treasure.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

I mean, as long as you're not the Wizard. Since you can't use basically anything you could find as treasure.

My beat up old box definitely has some home brewed items for sale on 3x5 cards my Dad made because I, playing the wizard, got mad/sad about that exact issue as a kid.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience making magnetic miniatures storage?

I have the curse of figuring out how to store my Power Rangers stuff. I think the best option would be magnetic storage, using flexible magnetic sheets like Duncan Rhodes recommends. But given how many minis there are, I think I want some kind of riser / removable platform that is anchored in the corners or something.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Those who know me, know I'm a huge fan of Unstable Unicorns. It's a direct "gotcha" pvp style card game that is full of great art and puns, and has some great interactions. Plus I've always been a fan of unicorns at heart.

This week, TeeTurtle (Unstable Games) announced "Unstable Unicorns: For Kids." After a... little bit of deliberation, I decided to pick it up and see what was different.

And wow, it is different!

First: It is a brand new game. While it shares the same mechanics as its predecessors (Unstable Unicorns and Llamas Unleashed), it is not compatible with them. The card backs are different.

The end goal is the same: Have 7 Unicorns in your stable. But a lot is different.

- You start with a Baby Unicorn in your stable, and it cannot leave your stable. You don't get more than your one. So technically, the game has a goal of getting 6 Unicorns.
    - Instead of Basic and Magic Unicorns (or animals), instead this game features Colorful Unicorns.
    - The colorful unicorns come in 8 categories (colors): Hero, Animal, Princess, Space, Sports, Goofy, Rainbow, and Fantasy.
    - All unicorns have the same ability: Ignore the "Discard a card" cost involved with playing a matching color/symbol of magic card.
    - Similarly, there are 8 types of magic cards, each matching the above colors/categories. Each has an effect that I won't repeat here. Again, colors will cancel the discard cost.
    - The game still has a selection of "Neigh" cards, that act just as normal.

So yeah. Supports 6 players, smaller deck, and designed to be much simpler. Great artwork, linen cards... About the only downside, again, is that you can't combine it with vanilla Unstable Unicorns. But I think that's okay!

Also recently released was Unstable Unicorns: Travel Edition. This is compatible with standard Unstable Unicorns, and shares many cards with the normal game. The big thing it gets rid of is the baby unicorns completely, and many of the cards are travel themed.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular

I have the curse of figuring out how to store my Power Rangers stuff. I think the best option would be magnetic storage, using flexible magnetic sheets like Duncan Rhodes recommends. But given how many minis there are, I think I want some kind of riser / removable platform that is anchored in the corners or something.

I used styrofoam I drilled holes into. You could do the same with a sheet of foam with removable velcro strips.

Whelk wrote: »

I used styrofoam I drilled holes into. You could do the same with a sheet of foam with removable velcro strips.

Do you have pictures?