As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    My campaign score is an automatic fail, did not finish the assignment, see me after class. They don't just get 6 months after release to release a complete game (despite it being full price on release) for free. There has never been a Halo released without co-op before and I could not be more unimpressed with delaying the game for a year in order to launch in early access.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I would much rather they delay co-op and forge if it means that they aren't completely busted on release, though I say that as someone who doesn't engage with those two things much at all

Point is they aren't delaying things for funsies, they're delaying them because they're not working yet, and it's probably lower on the priority chain than making sure the rest of it isn't gonna catch fire on release

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    My campaign score is an automatic fail, did not finish the assignment, see me after class. They don't just get 6 months after release to release a complete game (despite it being full price on release) for free. There has never been a Halo released without co-op before and I could not be more unimpressed with delaying the game for a year in order to launch in early access.
    I agree that the correct decision would have been to just delay the whole game with no explanation.

But they don't seem to subscribe to my (very correct) stance of "never tell players anything."

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    This is basically my first Halo; I played the first one when it released on PC, and remembered not being too excited about it, tbh.

This is fun! I'm basically going in blind and just doing big team modes, where this feels a bit like... Call of Dutyfield. Or something. Anyway it doesn't feel life changing, but it does feel pretty good, and I'm having a lot of low-stakes-feeling fun with it.

One thing that has happened to me a couple of times is a CTD upon exiting a Warthog driver's seat, specifically. Happened twice now. Kind of a bummer.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I would much rather they delay co-op and forge if it means that they aren't completely busted on release, though I say that as someone who doesn't engage with those two things much at all

Point is they aren't delaying things for funsies, they're delaying them because they're not working yet, and it's probably lower on the priority chain than making sure the rest of it isn't gonna catch fire on release

The fact that they aren’t working yet is the bad thing tho

Like yeah I agree, don’t release if it’s not ready, but why isn’t it ready? Why is the flagship Microsoft game in such a state? Thats what’s so upsetting. You aren’t seeing PlayStation flagship titles this beleaguered. Like I’m sure it was impossible, I’m sure this was the only way they could get coop working well, but the fact that that is the case is a bad thing. Coop should launch with the game, the fact that it won’t isn’t a good thing just because it means that when they do make coop it will work

Prohass on
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Yeah, so they delay the game. That’s what that’s for. This doesn’t mean the game is DOA. It’s just coming later.

edited November 2021
    It’s not DOA, but it’s not unreasonable to say that it’s bad. Not launching with coop is shit, it’s a shit thing. Yes, if it launched with broken coop that would be a different kind of shit thing. But they’re both shit things

Prohass on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Did you guys know the turret-less warthog thing that spawns in Stockpile has two little spots on the back that you can slot the seeds into!!?!!?! You can just drive that thing up to the seeds, pick them up and load them into the vehicle and then drive off with your two seeds back to base!

Also, did you know that if you aim the Repulsor equipment at the ground that it launches you into the air?

TIL

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Found the gravity hammer. Changed my mind. This game is awesome.

Prohass wrote: »
    It’s not DOA, but it’s not unreasonable to say that it’s bad. Not launching with coop is shit, it’s a shit thing. Yes, if it launched with broken coop that would be a different kind of shit thing. But they’re both shit things

I dunno, I think launching with broken co-op is worse than launching with no co-op at all

Functionally there's kind of no difference but it's about feeling like I'm being treated like a customer and not a rube being sold a lemon off the used car lot, y'know

I prefer being sold an incomplete thing rather than a broken thing

signature-deffo.jpg

I dunno, I think launching with broken co-op is worse than launching with no co-op at all

Functionally there's kind of no difference but it's about feeling like I'm being treated like a customer and not a rube being sold a lemon off the used car lot, y'know

I fully support delaying games to avoid crunch or because of development difficulties. I reject utterly launching unfinished games at full price to cynically scoop up holiday sales with a game that was not ready for market.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I wasn't aware Halo launched unfinished, I thought it hadn't come out yet.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Believe me when I say you 10,000% do not want a rushed forge mode.

edited November 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    I wasn't aware Halo launched unfinished, I thought it hadn't come out yet.

I think it's fair to say Halo consists of three modes and has been since 3. Campaign, Multiplayer, and Forge. Multiplayer is out right now, explicitly described as a Beta. Campaign will come out on December 8th, but the co-op mode (which has been in literally every Halo release at launch, that's 9 releases so far) will come out some 5 months later, at the earliest. And Forge will also not be in the game at launch, similarly pending a 5 month wait (but possibly even longer away). Considering 343 botched co-op in 4 (horrific frame rate) and 5 (no split screen) and launched 5 without so much as a Big Team Battle mode, this behavior is not unexpected, but it is deeply shitty.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I mean from what we can tell the game has only benefited from delays, I know they really wanted to get Halo out this year but I would have been okay waiting a couple more months if it meant everything came out feature complete.

I fully support delaying games to avoid crunch or because of development difficulties. I reject utterly launching unfinished games at full price to cynically scoop up holiday sales with a game that was not ready for market.

A reasonable position! I'm not the biggest Halo person so to me a campaign and multiplayer are the twin pillars that are required, but I know that co-op and forge are both long-standing features

I would probably feel differently if I dedicated serious time to them in the past

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm fine with the game coming without coop and having it be added later. If that's a dealbreaker, you can just not buy the game until the coop is added. Same difference either way if you want it delayed just for that one feature.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

The fact that they aren’t working yet is the bad thing tho

Like yeah I agree, don’t release if it’s not ready, but why isn’t it ready? Why is the flagship Microsoft game in such a state? Thats what’s so upsetting. You aren’t seeing PlayStation flagship titles this beleaguered. Like I’m sure it was impossible, I’m sure this was the only way they could get coop working well, but the fact that that is the case is a bad thing. Coop should launch with the game, the fact that it won’t isn’t a good thing just because it means that when they do make coop it will work

Technicality: That you know of. For all we know, that kind of shit happened like 12 times on each one, they just weren't talking about anything. It's like FO4; that shit coulda been delayed 200 times before release, but since they announced it about 30 seconds before release, it didn't "happen".

(Yes FO4 is my reference point, the only way I know about a game release anymore is if my damn Xbox tells me about it. :P)

Edit: Wait, I mean didn't FFVII remake get delayed like 900 times? Or did it just never get a date post-initial announcement? Either way, who knows what happened in between, right?

dporowski on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I can understand being disappointed about the co-op delay, but the campaign seems pretty good:

https://youtu.be/ESzYiOdBHZQ

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I hope it doesn't take too long for co-op, I'm not interested in the campaign until that drops.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yeah I mean I'm pretty much only going to run through the campaign with friends. It's basically tradition at this point.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm fine with the game coming without coop and having it be added later. If that's a dealbreaker, you can just not buy the game until the coop is added. Same difference either way if you want it delayed just for that one feature.

Pretty much this. No one is forcing anyone to buy Halo Infinite. If co-ops a deal breaker, than don't buy it.

Multi-player and campaign are the required features for a Halo game. MP already feels great and should only get better and the buzz around the campaign is super positive right now. Co-op is and has always been a niche feature that is perfectly fine as a post launch addition. I get that's disappointing for some and that's fair...but the "I'm a paying customer and want to speak to a manager" energy being tossed around is a bit much.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I've always enjoyed taking on the campaigns solo legendary for the challenge

GnomeTank wrote: »

Pretty much this. No one is forcing anyone to buy Halo Infinite. If co-ops a deal breaker, than don't buy it.

Multi-player and campaign are the required features for a Halo game. MP already feels great and should only get better and the buzz around the campaign is super positive right now. Co-op is and has always been a niche feature that is perfectly fine as a post launch addition. I get that's disappointing for some and that's fair...but the "I'm a paying customer and want to speak to a manager" energy being tossed around is a bit much.

That doesn't much hold up in the world of game pass lol

edited November 2021
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Do you have literally any proof of your assertion co-op is a niche feature? Or are we just making up shit now?

shoeboxjeddy on
    edited November 2021
    It actually is a niche feature, they have stats and very few people play it. But that’s irrelevant frankly, the core fans that do play coop are just as important as anyone else who plays it.

And again this idea that well you can just not play it for 6 months, or hey you don’t have to buy it, yes both are true, and both suck! The entire point we’re trying to make is that the fact that coop is delayed is a bad thing in and of itself, the fact that they couldn’t get it running well for launch is a bad thing. Like yes it’s good that they’re not releasing it when it’s not ready, but the fact that it’s not ready is bad, I’m not disputing that it’s the reality that exists, just that it sucks ass!

Prohass on
    Annnnd there are already hackers in Halo

Coolcoolcool

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Halo 5 was the first Halo game I didn’t buy new, because there was no split screen coop or multiplayer. I bought a copy Redbox was getting rid of for $7 a year later to run through the campaign.

Infinite manages to sidestep this because I have game pass, but I would have passed on it given this news. These features are important and a core component of the Halo experience for me.

Just to actually have some facts behind this, I went and looked at the achievements. The three stats I'm highlighting are played at least one level, beat the whole game, and got the lowest tier of co-op achievement (usually this is beat any level on either Normal or Heroic difficulty). I'll note any qualifiers related to the data (difficulty for example). All of these numbers should be assumed to be under reported to some degree, since playing the whole game offline and never reporting your achievements is possible.

Halo 5
    Beat 1 level in campaign: 57%
    Beat the campaign: 28%
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Heroic (meaning Easy and Normal players were not tracked): 7.5%

Halo MCC
    Beat 1 level in campaign [H1 Anniversary: 34%] [H2 Anniversary: 20%] [H3: 18%] [H4: 20%] [ODST: 8.5%] [Reach: 17%]
    Beat the campaign: [H1 Anniversary: 10%] [H2 Anniversary: 8%] [H3: 9%] [H4: 6.5%] [ODST: 4%] [Reach: 7%]
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Normal (meaning Easy players were not tracked): 27%
    and the weirdest achievement I saw => Beat one mission or complete one round of multiplayer (in any game in the collection): 66% (uh... what did the other 34% do?)

Halo 4 (for 360)
    Beat 1 level in campaign: 69% (nice)
    Beat the campaign: 35%
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Heroic (meaning Easy and Normal players were not tracked): 20%

Halo 1 Anniversary (for 360)
    Beat 1 level in campaign: 72%
    Beat the campaign (on at least Normal, easy not listed): 15%
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Normal (meaning Easy players were not tracked): 38%

Things to note: co-op stats were always OVER 20% of players until 5. This compares extremely well to players who beat the game. In other words, co-op is "niche" in the same way that "playing through to the end of the campaign" is niche. Meaning it's actually very popular and relevant, anyone who says different is trying to sell you something (an unfinished game, just as a hypothetical example). In the specific case of 5, the co-op stat is nerfed for two obvious reasons, Easy and Normal difficulty weren't tracked and there was no split screen mode. The comparison between Halo 4 on 360 (also only counting Heroic and up) vs 5 shows very dramatically what a terrible idea no split screen was. They lost about 13% of the player base giving the mode a try... in a game heavily premised on co-op play.

Most damning stat from this list: more people paid for the Reach DLC and then beat the campaign than people who played the included game Halo 4 to completion in MCC. Reach (again, a paid DLC!) was almost more popular than Halo 2 Anniversary, a game actually remade to Xbox 1 era graphical standards... 343 is bodied by Bungie.

I'm super excited to rehash this over and over for about half a year.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Coolcoolcool

There's hackers in literally every popular shooter ever.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Coolcoolcool

yeah, it sucks in other games too!

BahamutZERO.gif

Coolcoolcool

I would say halos pedigree is that it's a Xbox game, and while there was a modding problem for a while on Halo 2... You really don't see a lot of cheating on Xbox or any console. It's just too hard to do without screwing up the console itself in some way. So console players are just now running into a lot of cheaters thanks to cross play. And obviously if you see that the first instinct is to go turn off cross play... Except as of right now you cannot do that in Halo

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Just to actually have some facts behind this, I went and looked at the achievements. The three stats I'm highlighting are played at least one level, beat the whole game, and got the lowest tier of co-op achievement (usually this is beat any level on either Normal or Heroic difficulty). I'll note any qualifiers related to the data (difficulty for example). All of these numbers should be assumed to be under reported to some degree, since playing the whole game offline and never reporting your achievements is possible.

Halo 5
    Beat 1 level in campaign: 57%
    Beat the campaign: 28%
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Heroic (meaning Easy and Normal players were not tracked): 7.5%

Halo MCC
    Beat 1 level in campaign [H1 Anniversary: 34%] [H2 Anniversary: 20%] [H3: 18%] [H4: 20%] [ODST: 8.5%] [Reach: 17%]
    Beat the campaign: [H1 Anniversary: 10%] [H2 Anniversary: 8%] [H3: 9%] [H4: 6.5%] [ODST: 4%] [Reach: 7%]
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Normal (meaning Easy players were not tracked): 27%
    and the weirdest achievement I saw => Beat one mission or complete one round of multiplayer (in any game in the collection): 66% (uh... what did the other 34% do?)

Halo 4 (for 360)
    Beat 1 level in campaign: 69% (nice)
    Beat the campaign: 35%
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Heroic (meaning Easy and Normal players were not tracked): 20%

Halo 1 Anniversary (for 360)
    Beat 1 level in campaign: 72%
    Beat the campaign (on at least Normal, easy not listed): 15%
    Beat a level on co-op with the difficulty on Normal (meaning Easy players were not tracked): 38%

Things to note: co-op stats were always OVER 20% of players until 5. This compares extremely well to players who beat the game. In other words, co-op is "niche" in the same way that "playing through to the end of the campaign" is niche. Meaning it's actually very popular and relevant, anyone who says different is trying to sell you something (an unfinished game, just as a hypothetical example). In the specific case of 5, the co-op stat is nerfed for two obvious reasons, Easy and Normal difficulty weren't tracked and there was no split screen mode. The comparison between Halo 4 on 360 (also only counting Heroic and up) vs 5 shows very dramatically what a terrible idea no split screen was. They lost about 13% of the player base giving the mode a try... in a game heavily premised on co-op play.

Most damning stat from this list: more people paid for the Reach DLC and then beat the campaign than people who played the included game Halo 4 to completion in MCC. Reach (again, a paid DLC!) was almost more popular than Halo 2 Anniversary, a game actually remade to Xbox 1 era graphical standards... 343 is bodied by Bungie.

What's there even to discuss? "Niche" in this context doesn't mean anything other than, "this feature isn't important to me and I don't care whether it's important to you".

So... I'm not use exactly how the battle pass works? I'm getting XP for the "Play a Match" daily challenge every game I play. I think that's because in the Halo battle passes you don't actually have to worry about them expiring, so I have a bunch of daily challenges built up because I haven't really been playing until today? Or... something...

august wrote: »
    So... I'm not use exactly how the battle pass works? I'm getting XP for the "Play a Match" daily challenge every game I play. I think that's because in the Halo battle passes you don't actually have to worry about them expiring, so I have a bunch of daily challenges built up because I haven't really been playing until today? Or... something...

I think the daily "play a match" challenges just keep appearing infinitely? The weekly stuff is the stuff that changes up and is limited, I think.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

I think the daily "play a match" challenges just keep appearing infinitely? The weekly stuff is the stuff that changes up and is limited, I think.

Seen someone say at 40 games played it expires for the day.

Huh, good to know. Dunno how long a match is, but I doubt many people would ever hit that in a day.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Huh, good to know. Dunno how long a match is, but I doubt many people would ever hit that in a day.

So if the average length of a match is 10 minutes, that'd be about 6 and a half hours of straight gameplay, which for some people isn't that much time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I got it now, I was used to Destiny where you finish a bounty and then have to wait until reset the next day to able to do it again.