As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

College Football 2022: Welcome to America's Most Absurd Season | Pick 'Em Pg95

ASimPersonASimPerson Cold...and hard.Registered User regular
edited November 2022 in Social Entropy++
Welcome back, folks. It's Week 12 as I post this OP and the season is as weird as ever.

If you want to get the general zeitgeist of this group, I suspect you'll be well served to check out two of my favorite podcasts. First, you've got the Internet's ONLY College Football Podcast, the Shutdown Fullcast. Next up, you've got the more-than-spiritual successor to Podcast Ain't Played Nobody, Split Zone Duo.

And here's the current standings of our season long pick 'em:
EHLQ69s.png

Note that picks for Week 12 are currently due. See this post from the previous thread for details! https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/44207731/#Comment_44207731

MEANWHILE, IN AUSTIN
Oghulk wrote: »
Petition to include in the OP the only thing someone needs to know about the Texas Longhorns

rr3vw7zl85qr.png

DJ Eebs on

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Five points out of first place. I feel like a G5 team this week!

sig.gif
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Repost of Week 12 CFP/AP Rankings
    DVxkvEN.jpg

Undefeated Cincinnati knocking on the door of the CFP not absurd enough for you? Check out how much the Top 5 highest paid college football coaches make a year! (paywall for the full list, sadly)
    USA Today wrote:
    The top five highest-paid coaches this season are predictably from schools that have won multiple national championships except one outlier.

No. 1 Nick Saban, Alabama ($9,753,221)
    No. 2 Ed Orgeron, LSU ($9,012,917)
    No. 3 David Shaw, Stanford ($8,924,683)
    No. 4 Dabo Swinney, Clemson ($8,370,775)
    No. 5 Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma ($7,672,710)

And only two of those five coaches have 9-1 seasons so far this year.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
    Look, if Notre Dame gets in but Cincy doesn't, that... would actually be expected at this point. Sigh.

sig.gif
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I don’t think there’s any way ND gets in over an undefeated Cincy

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Wow, the Stanford one is hilarious, I did not know that.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    I just don't want to get my hopes up, is all.

sig.gif
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Straight Up

Iowa State @ #13 Oklahoma (-4)
    #10 Wake Forest @ Clemson (-4)
    UCLA (-3) @ USC
    California (-1.5) @ Stanford

Against the Spread

#7 Michigan State @ #4 Ohio State (-18.5)
    #21 Arkansas @ #2 Alabama (-20.5)
    Nebraska @ #15 Wisconsin (-9.5)
    Southern Methodist @ #5 Cincinnati (-11.5)

SGotW

Purdue (-10.5) vs. Northwestern - BOILER UP!

GotCotW (Straight)

#3 Oregon @ #23 Utah (-3)

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
    cursedking wrote: »
    Wow, the Stanford one is hilarious, I did not know that.

The David Shaw/Stanford thing is just….it’s bad, neither is going to give up and the program is just going to get worse and worse

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Stanford has had really bad injury luck this year

That said I don’t see why they’re so attached to Shaw; he must be really good with the boosters or something

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited November 2021
    He’s a Stanford lifer with a .700 career winning record, just low enough that people will always want better but not too low that it won’t be painful as hell to let him go

Pat Fitzgerald-eqsque…Scott Frost could maybe get there if they start doubling their wins

Captain Inertia on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Michigan State 100 percent leapfrogs them if they beat Ohio State this weekend, and even if they don't, Michigan's in the wings.

[IMG][/img]
    I don’t know- OSU dropping a 2nd game means MSU owns a win over a disappointing 2-loss OSU, which may not boost them enough

There just aren’t enough games to have enough common opponents, and not enough weeks (or healthy bodies) to have the big ass tournament required to account for that

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Repost of Week 12 CFP/AP Rankings
    DVxkvEN.jpg

Undefeated Cincinnati knocking on the door of the CFP not absurd enough for you? Check out how much the Top 5 highest paid college football coaches make a year! (paywall for the full list, sadly)
    USA Today wrote:
    The top five highest-paid coaches this season are predictably from schools that have won multiple national championships except one outlier.

No. 1 Nick Saban, Alabama ($9,753,221)
    No. 2 Ed Orgeron, LSU ($9,012,917)
    No. 3 David Shaw, Stanford ($8,924,683)
    No. 4 Dabo Swinney, Clemson ($8,370,775)
    No. 5 Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma ($7,672,710)

And only two of those five coaches have 9-1 seasons so far this year.

Might have come up in the last thread but Michigan State is set to make Mel Tucker #2 with a $9.5M/year 10 year deal. Not confirmed yet though, just rumors.

edited November 2021
    That’s a painful buyout waiting to happen

Edit: in other words, is 8-4 every year worth that

Captain Inertia on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, 95 million for a coach with only one good season (one boosted by an all-time great transfer pickup and some luck at that) under his belt seems like a bad gamble

On the other hand, per the immutable law of the universe that says everything always turns out badly for Michigan, he’s guaranteed to earn every penny of that contract

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Stanford has had really bad injury luck this year

That said I don’t see why they’re so attached to Shaw; he must be really good with the boosters or something

Injury luck doesn't explain what's wrong with Stanford. They've had years of poor recruiting and development finally catch up to them the past few years, and they saw a huge amount of guys transfer out after last season. Stanford is never going to fire Shaw but that program is deep in the Coaching Death Spiral.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    It seems pretty high, but then who knows what LSU is planning to offer their new head coach. And I'm sure MSU has to offer a premium to keep top talent vs more prestigious schools.

And really all he has to do is beat Michigan 50% of the time or better. Dantonio always had a few losses every year and he kept the job for over 10 years.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I was able to watch part of the first quarter in a sports bar and it was snowing pretty hard in Pullman

Always a good time

And now it appears the Cougs are taking the Wildcats to the proverbial woodshed

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Petition to include in the OP the only thing someone needs to know about the Texas Longhorns

rr3vw7zl85qr.png

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    If watching SDSU-UNLV just to see some punts is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    (John Blanchette writes about sportsball for the Spokesman-Review)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited November 2021
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    It seems pretty high, but then who knows what LSU is planning to offer their new head coach. And I'm sure MSU has to offer a premium to keep top talent vs more prestigious schools.

And really all he has to do is beat Michigan 50% of the time or better. Dantonio always had a few losses every year and he kept the job for over 10 years.

Dantonio won the Big1(2)0 and B1G and made it to a playoff- most successful coach in MSU history

He also didn’t report the rapes and sexual assaults his recruits and players committed, and fighting the lawsuit about this is why he “got too tired” to keep coaching

We’ll see if Tucker gets there. It’s too early to tell either way, and this is a surprisingly good year for them….but likely reversion to MSU-football mean would indicate that’s a bad contract.

Captain Inertia on
    edited November 2021
    Also ~45 degrees with no wind or sun in Columbus, maybe we’ll see 10 explosive passing TDs combined

Edit: lol shit I guess the sun is out in Columbus

Double edit: John O’Neil fuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkk

Captain Inertia on
    edited November 2021
    This is going about how I expected… Just bottle up our run, our pass offense is inconsistent and our pass defense is non-existent.

How in the world do you not just keep someone deep since our coverage is so bad. This is going to be a 45-13 type of game.

Trajan45 on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Also ~45 degrees with no wind or sun in Columbus, maybe we’ll see 10 explosive passing TDs combined

Edit: lol shit I guess the sun is out in Columbus

Double edit: John O’Neil fuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkk

You at the game Captain?

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MSU secondary is traaaaash

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    The BFL-ometer is currently vascillating wildly between “hey, this helps Michigan get the Rose Bowl bid!” and “oh fuck, OSU is going to put 70 on Michigan”

Our offense isn’t doing much better. Why in the world are the wr’s stopping their routes? The OSU secondary is physical.

Shocker, Reed actually runs down field and gets a catch.

edited November 2021
    I am not at the game, just doing yard work all morning to get a feel for the conditions :)

Captain Inertia on
    That's a fumble, but spiritually speaking should stay with MSU because that was obviously holding on the DB.

#29 was giving an 8 yard cushion and was dead beat at 12 yards.

And i’m out. Why did i get back into college football again. MSU mistakes and a trash fire of a secondary, with equally trash coaching. After the first TD you should be yelling at them to never let someone get behind them. Let them have the short stuff.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    clemson has borrowed the pitt superweapon

Is it too early for me to start feeling 2014 vibes from this young OSU team that lost its “non-conference test” game in week 2?

• ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Is it too early for me to start feeling 2014 vibes from this young OSU team that lost its “non-conference test” game in week 2?

Yes.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    charging

ZeroCow wrote: »

Yes.

Yeah, we need Stroud to break his ankle next week and for McCord to step in and be even better

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    This is going about how I expected… Just bottle up our run, our pass offense is inconsistent and our pass defense is non-existent.

How in the world do you not just keep someone deep since our coverage is so bad. This is going to be a 45-13 type of game.

Well you were close to OSU's halftime score anyway.

Yikes

ZeroCow wrote: »

Yes.

Yeah, we need Stroud to break his ankle next week and for McCord to step in and be even better

So you’re saying Michigan will inexplicably play well enough to have a chance to win at the end of the game

I’ll take it!

So 42-0 is a lead every team but Texas would feel good about

This discussion has been closed.