As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Kyle Rittenhouse Thread In Which We Take As a Given That Kyle Was Wrong and Stupid

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Well if you get shot about now, regardless of the color of your skin, you're going to have a heck of a time getting good medical care this winter considering all the hospitals have filed up again

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    And, just in case you weren’t completely disgusted this morning…

ALERT: GOA will be awarding Kyle Rittenhouse with an AR-15 for his defense of gun rights in America.

Join us in saying THANK YOU to Kyle Rittenhouse for being a warrior for gun owners and self defense rights across the country!

I swear, there is no bottom to this barrel.

Can I just point how asinine it is that of all things to give him an AR15 is there go to? Like, they're not giving him a medal or a comendation or a plaque, but that they're giving him another AR15?

Is the point of this to have him dual wielding at his next outing?

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gaddez wrote: »

ALERT: GOA will be awarding Kyle Rittenhouse with an AR-15 for his defense of gun rights in America.

Join us in saying THANK YOU to Kyle Rittenhouse for being a warrior for gun owners and self defense rights across the country!

Can I just point how asinine it is that of all things to give him an AR15 is there go to? Like, they're not giving him a medal or a comendation or a plaque, but that they're giving him another AR15?

It's to own the libs.

One of the things I find most disturbing about this whole case is that, while Rittenhouse was obviously breaking the law, there's a version of this situation where nobody breaks any law and we still wind up with a pile of dead bodies, because at every step in an open carry scenario, it's legal to escalate the situation. I see someone I don't like and feel nervous, I can draw a gun. They feel nervous about my gun, they draw their gun. Eventually a shot is fired, someone else freaks out, they start firing, each dumb (but lawful) action justifying the next dumb (but lawful) action.

If nothing else, at the bare minimum, this should at least result in open carry laws to be modified such that not having your weapon secured and strapped in in some way is illegal, and having it unsecured is treated as assault such that you need to make an affirmative argument of self defense in the same way as if you were shooting someone.

Obviously even this tiny nugget of sanity won't happen, so I may as well just wish for an end to open carry while I'm being unrealistic.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I think, fundamentally, open carrying a firearm in a ready position is brandishing a weapon.

Don't think that's true legally, though. Which is part of the problem.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ElJeffe wrote: »

It's to own the libs.

One of the things I find most disturbing about this whole case is that, while Rittenhouse was obviously breaking the law, there's a version of this situation where nobody breaks any law and we still wind up with a pile of dead bodies, because at every step in an open carry scenario, it's legal to escalate the situation. I see someone I don't like and feel nervous, I can draw a gun. They feel nervous about my gun, they draw their gun. Eventually a shot is fired, someone else freaks out, they start firing, each dumb (but lawful) action justifying the next dumb (but lawful) action.

If nothing else, at the bare minimum, this should at least result in open carry laws to be modified such that not having your weapon secured and strapped in in some way is illegal, and having it unsecured is treated as assault such that you need to make an affirmative argument of self defense in the same way as if you were shooting someone.

Obviously even this tiny nugget of sanity won't happen, so I may as well just wish for an end to open carry while I'm being unrealistic.

These reactions are entirely predictable because this is all just part of a culture war and Rittenhouse is a win for their side.

shryke on
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Carrying a firearm in a ready position should fall under the same restrictions as brandishing. Unless you are hunting or responding to a deadly threat, there is absolutely no reason for an average citizen to have their gun in-hand, ready to fire.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I think the only real solution is an abolition movement to completely remove the Second Amendment. In the 21st Century, in a 'civilized' society, there's zero reason for police and citizens to be carrying guns other than for homicidal ideology

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I think the only real solution is an abolition movement to completely remove the Second Amendment. In the 21st Century, in a 'civilized' society, there's zero reason for police and citizens to be carrying guns other than for homicidal ideology

On occasion, law enforcement needs firearms.

Not even within a lightyear of how they do it now, but saying theres never a situation where law enforcement needs a gun might be a wee bit naive.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I just, I'm sorry I... I can't...

Paul Gosar says he will arm wrestle Matt Gaetz to decide who gets Kyle Rittenhouse as an intern

If anyone had any doubt that this little shithead's murder spree wasn't going to set him up for life, well... I have unfortunate news for you.

VuIBhrs.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Not even within a lightyear of how they do it now, but saying theres never a situation where law enforcement needs a gun might be a wee bit naive.

That's where I would point out that "law enforcement" does not have to mean "the police" as we currently conceive of them, and I would put forward that actually disarming law enforcement for the vast majority of law enforcement tasks would be a good.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gosar is the one who posted a cartoon of himself cutting off AOC’s head, right?

I mean, that’s a heck of a choice to be made. That dude or the pedophile.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Gosar is the one who posted a cartoon of himself cutting off AOC’s head, right?

I mean, that’s a heck of a choice to be made. That dude or the pedophile.

That's a little reductive to be fair.

I have every faith in Gosar that he's capable of being a creep too.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    He’ll probably end up with Gosar. Gaetz will likely lose interest once his handlers point out Rittenhouse is now 18.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I am more angry by this than I am at the verdict. The verdict was a jury, juries are hit or miss at the best of times. But a “hey the police took away the weapon you murdered 2 people with, so we’ll get you another.” I just can’t.

zepherin on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's where I would point out that "law enforcement" does not have to mean "the police" as we currently conceive of them, and I would put forward that actually disarming law enforcement for the vast majority of law enforcement tasks would be a good.

Fair, I can get behind that.

And, of course, it wouldn’t be a day ending in “Y” without the former President, again, howling out of his asshole, while fellating himself over things that he never actually did…

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-he-helped-save-kenosha-rittenhouse-not-guilty-verdict-2021-11
    "We saved it and we saved Kenosha — very early," Trump told Ingraham. It was really a horrible couple of nights. They got individual stores, the place didn't burn down to the ground because we sent in a lot of good people. This is supposed to be handled by governors or mayors — they're mostly Democrats."

Trump has previously made similar statements just days after the Rittenhouse shooting, remarks that the Associated Press debunked.

The link also has the entire interview video, which is about what you probably suspect.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Aegeri wrote: »
    TBH, it doesn't even sound like something the Wild West would be proud of.

It is where we are now with the result of this trial. I really fear for the next incident that happens. It could be a genuine spree shooter up there, defending himself as if he were "threatened" and so had to kill 10+ people. Really afraid for how out of control this could get.
    It's why I stated that this is sounding like a deranged version of the wild west, but even there shit was never this insane:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKnKYZFKMP0&ab_channel=HistoryMatters

A ruling like this also fantastically undermines the authority of law enforcement and the governments monopoly on the use of force, since the moment you zoom out the focus of these events from the specific 5 minute time span when this occured to take in the full context of Kyle's decision making leading up to this it's clear that everything possible was done to make the situation as dangerous as possible and that in the eyes of judge fuckface that's just fine.

That really seems to be the fundamental issue at hand here: the government (be it state or federal) is unable (or unwilling) to do anything beyond evaluating self defense in the most limited of contexts. 95% of the time unless you go out of your way to show premeditation, you'll walk away from any charges. And it definitely helps if your actions/politics support the American ruling class.

Also I hope Rittenhouse's lawyer is advising him to keep his head down and stay out the spotlight. The law eventually caught up with Zimmerman, and it will catch up with Rittenhouse too.

Dark_Side on
    If you haven’t seen it yet, the first half of SNL’s cold open was brilliant:

https://youtu.be/s9wdy9W4-LQ

- John Stuart Mill
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

It is where we are now with the result of this trial. I really fear for the next incident that happens. It could be a genuine spree shooter up there, defending himself as if he were "threatened" and so had to kill 10+ people. Really afraid for how out of control this could get.
    It's why I stated that this is sounding like a deranged version of the wild west, but even there shit was never this insane:

A ruling like this also fantastically undermines the authority of law enforcement and the governments monopoly on the use of force, since the moment you zoom out the focus of these events from the specific 5 minute time span when this occured to take in the full context of Kyle's decision making leading up to this it's clear that everything possible was done to make the situation as dangerous as possible and that in the eyes of judge fuckface that's just fine.

That really seems to be the fundamental issue at hand here: the government (be it state or federal) is unable (or unwilling) to do anything beyond evaluating self defense in the most limited of contexts. 95% of the time unless you go out of your way to show premeditation, you'll walk away from any charges. And it definitely helps if your actions/politics support the American ruling class.

Also I hope Rittenhouse's lawyer is advising him to keep his head down and stay out the spotlight. The law eventually caught up with Zimmerman, and it will catch up with Rittenhouse too.

Rittenhouse's attorney is apparently smart enough to want all of the GOP assholes to shut the fuck up and stop awarding him and offering him jobs, because the consequences will hit his client, not them.

Fencingsax wrote: »

Rittenhouse's attorney is apparently smart enough to want all of the GOP assholes to shut the fuck up and stop awarding him and offering him jobs, because the consequences will hit his client, not them.
    Rittenhouse has a good attorney. Giving good legal advice. But nobody is going to listen to him.

zepherin wrote: »

Rittenhouse has a good attorney. Giving good legal advice. But nobody is going to listen to him.

It won’t look good for him if the little shitstain goes romping around the circuit and cavorts his way right into a wrongful death ruling. Even if there is no civil suit, his practice is going to be inextricably tied to Rittenhouse’s conduct in the near future.

- John Stuart Mill
    edited November 2021

The fact that the Rittenhouse family is already booked on Tucker's show tomorrow already doesn't bode well. Normally I'd just expect it to be a whole lot of " well we're just happy the ordeal is over and we really want to get back on living our lives and leave this tragedy behind us." But with Tucker? I can only imagine what crazy shit he and his white nationalist writers have cooked up.

Dark_Side on

That fact that the Rittenhouse family is already booked on Tucker's show tomorrow already doesn't bode well. Normally I'd just expect it to be a whole lot of " well we're just happy the ordeal is over and we really want to get back on living our lives and leave this tragedy behind us." But with Tucker? I can only imagine what crazy shit he and his white nationalist writers have cooked up.

I’m guessing it involves a heroic fight against vaccine zombies being controlled by Biden via 5G nanobots in the blood stream. Also victim blaming. Lots and lots of victim blaming. I expect him to insinuate, if not flat out state, that Rittenhouse did the world a favor. I also expect that none of the blowback will hit Carlson, because at this point the only people who haven’t jumped that ship are either happy with their heading or tied to the mast.

- John Stuart Mill

It won’t look good for him if the little shitstain goes romping around the circuit and cavorts his way right into a wrongful death ruling. Even if there is no civil suit, his practice is going to be inextricably tied to Rittenhouse’s conduct in the near future.
    There is that. And his practice had a practice making public trial. That not guilty verdict is going to double his billing rate and increase his client count.

The vultures are circling to ring all of the juice out of Kyle before discarding the husk.

…normally I would be like fuck him, let the system grind him to paste. But the damage he’s going to do is substantial. People are going to be killed because of this. I don’t know who or how many. But it’s going to cause at least one more persons death.

There is that. And his practice had a practice making public trial. That not guilty verdict is going to double his billing rate and increase his client count.

That may not play out all that well, considering that those potential new clients are likely the same kind of people he is currently trying to distance himself and his client from. This might wind up with the firm being pigeonholed as the lawyers for white supremacists.

- John Stuart Mill

That may not play out all that well, considering that those potential new clients are likely the same kind of people he is currently trying to distance himself and his client from. This might wind up with the firm being pigeonholed as the lawyers for white supremacists.
    That is a risk, but and I hate to put it like this. The vast majority of high priced defense attorneys represent people who did the stuff they are accused of doing. So his clientele are going to be problematic. But I bet he charges 20k-25k to defend DUI, drunk and disorderly and battery cases.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    My take away is how terrible that judge is and how that further reinforces how little faith our justice system deserves. How do we solve anything when The Law is objectively on the side of the bad guys?

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    I'm mildly interested in seeing what downstream effects there are.

Possibly the cyclical repeat of history, but with a few tweaks. We are reentering the phase of history of the white posse and it’s backing by forces of the state, forgotten but thanks to a few short decades of 20th century progress. Michael Harriot of The Root has a long thread about it here that we should all read:

http s://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1462219275322769410?s=21

There is a lot of speculation about what could happen it people like Kyle Rittenhouse are allowed to get away with murder. But, as usual, it's never "if" but "when"

A brief history of white vigilantes at Black protests.

A thread.

This is, of course, the ultimate aim of the NeoConfederate Project: the repeal of the twentieth century and the return of the Old Orders of Things.

A particular point on that thread is how many white vigilantes used their deeds as a way to jump to public office, and Rittenhouse is young enough to be groomed into the Republican machine, which is why dudes like Gosar are very interested on him.

So, I'm not sure if they want to "ring all of the juice out of Kyle", but setting up to, let's say, a House run within 10 years, as a starter. The GOP is very good at long term planning when they want to.

That is a risk, but and I hate to put it like this. The vast majority of high priced defense attorneys represent people who did the stuff they are accused of doing. So his clientele are going to be problematic. But I bet he charges 20k-25k to defend DUI, drunk and disorderly and battery cases.

That hasn’t traditionally been his wheelhouse. Also, looking at the reports of the number of death threats he’s been receiving, he may not be taking any cases for the foreseeable.

- John Stuart Mill
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I just, I'm sorry I... I can't...

Paul Gosar says he will arm wrestle Matt Gaetz to decide who gets Kyle Rittenhouse as an intern

If anyone had any doubt that this little shithead's murder spree wasn't going to set him up for life, well... I have unfortunate news for you.

A 62 year old man thinks he can beat a 39 year old at arm wrestling.

How fucking sad.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Its a little much to hope they eventually wake up and realize the new Conservative Hero's signature move is being afraid of unarmed people?

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Did Cochrane have a tough life after getting OJ found not guilty?

I seem to remember his firm blowing up but I dunno what his life was like after

are YOU on the beer list?
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Did Cochrane have a tough life after getting OJ found not guilty?

I seem to remember his firm blowing up but I dunno what his life was like after

The second worst thing that OJ Simpson ever did, was making Robert Kardashian famous enough that his spawn were able to become famous.

The worst thing was the murders.

Yeah, I was gonna make a joke of expectations, but fuck that guy.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    from wikipedia, just since we're talking about attorneys in high profile murder cases, from the Cochran wikipedia

In 2001, Sean (P. Diddy) Combs was indicted on bribery and stolen weapons charges. He hired Cochran for his defense. Cochran effectively fought for Combs' freedom, and Combs was acquitted.

In 2002, Cochran told Combs that this would be his last criminal case. Cochran retired after the trial. R. Kelly and Allen Iverson later asked for his services in criminal cases, but he declined to represent them.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Possibly the cyclical repeat of history, but with a few tweaks. We are reentering the phase of history of the white posse and it’s backing by forces of the state, forgotten but thanks to a few short decades of 20th century progress. Michael Harriot of The Root has a long thread about it here that we should all read:

There is a lot of speculation about what could happen it people like Kyle Rittenhouse are allowed to get away with murder. But, as usual, it's never "if" but "when"

A thread.

This is, of course, the ultimate aim of the NeoConfederate Project: the repeal of the twentieth century and the return of the Old Orders of Things.

A particular point on that thread is how many white vigilantes used their deeds as a way to jump to public office, and Rittenhouse is young enough to be groomed into the Republican machine, which is why dudes like Gosar are very interested on him.

So, I'm not sure if they want to "ring all of the juice out of Kyle", but setting up to, let's say, a House run within 10 years, as a starter. The GOP is very good at long term planning when they want to.

I'm doubting the Rittenhouse story has a happy ending. Dude is not smart, and his supporters don't want another GOP politician, they want him to lead them in escalating to just shooting more protesters.

Once the fame dies off and the money slows down, he's going to try and recreate it by doing something stupid like turning up at another protest open carrying.

edited November 2021

That hasn’t traditionally been his wheelhouse. Also, looking at the reports of the number of death threats he’s been receiving, he may not be taking any cases for the foreseeable.
    Death threats are part and parcel with high profile cases. Johnny Cochrans daughter received so many death threats after the OJ verdict that her work was sweeping for bombs.

And his firm blew up with a national presence.

zepherin on
    Once the fame dies off and the money slows down, he's going to try and recreate it by doing something stupid like turning up at another protest open carrying.

I really worry this is more like his John Connors moment, but instead of saving humanity from the evil robots, he falls in with or leads a terrorist group. The GOP is now openly toying with language about shooting enemies in the street, and Rittenhouse just got away with doing exactly that.

• ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    TryCatcher wrote: »

A thread.

I'm doubting the Rittenhouse story has a happy ending. Dude is not smart, and his supporters don't want another GOP politician, they want him to lead them in escalating to just shooting more protesters.

But that is who and what the GOP is at this point. There are visible and high profile members of the GOP that are dumb as rocks and act as though being a near-constant media personality IS legislating. There are members of the GOP that have no guiding ideology beyond “fuck the libs,” and that is only getting further entrenched in the upcoming younger class of conservative activists. Rittenhouse is exactly what those people want: someone that murdered BLM activists and not only got away with was but vaunted for it. Rittenhouse has never considered for a single second any other alleged conservative principle; it will never matter what he thinks about deficit spending because that simply doesn’t matter to the GOP anymore. All that matters is that he murdered some liberals. Can you even imagine what the GOP will look like when this kid is old enough to run? If he wants a House seat, the party machine will roll out the red carpet for him.

ouchies on

I really worry this is more like his John Connors moment, but instead of saving humanity from the evil robots, he falls in with or leads a terrorist group. The GOP is now openly toying with language about shooting enemies in the street, and Rittenhouse just got away with doing exactly that.
    There’s a scene in V for Vendetta where Stephen Rea is giving a monologue and it discusses a feeling about how everything is interconnected, how this is one piece and everything is lined up for something. I have that feeling with this case.

And as with that movie I don’t know what’s going to happen but I can guess.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It's claimed that Tucker's crew collaborated with Rittenhouse on a documentary DURING the trial. While the clip doesn't fully confirm it (Tucker admits his crew were there during, and then got the first interview with Rittenhouse somehow), given the timing it seems likely.

EDIT: No embedded link, because I find Tucker's face offensive, and don't want to inadvertently subject people to it.

Which makes the judge cracking the shits over MSNBC having a traffic incident and banning them, exactly the kind of thing you'ld expect for this judge being in the tank for the defense.

MorganV on