As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    throw some green onion on em

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    If i had to make a chat, it'd be wizard themed.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    My favorite Kebap place I went to while visiting a friend in Germany has had to expand into pizza and pasta while taking a hit to the kebap quality

Truly hard times in the EU

Tumin on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Here is a nice cucumber sandwich. Thank you for coming to our soirée.

I like glamour wizards (you know, the fae-touched, the too-beautiful-for-this-world, the straight hotties)

But also the Sanderson version who could push or quell emotions. Sort of fall under the Bard's purview, though. I really liked the College of Glamour (and Whispers, for that matter) Bard unearthed Arcana in that vein.

Really fall into the charisma/deception bard bucket, though.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I refuse

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a30432647/deepfake-youtube-video-fixes-the-irishman-de-aging/

This is pretty cool

Someone did a fan edit of The Irishman and fixed the de-aging they did on DeNiro and others

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Maybe add a little white rice for seasoning, if that's not too spicy

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    so i've gotten around to pulling my copy of Dune off the shelf and started reading it

the printing of this copy was 1990, which gives some indication of how long it's been since i last read it

i'm struck by how unconventional the storytelling is. not all the usual things people mention like lore dumps and inner monologue, but that there are no twists. every single story beat is told to you before it happens

it's really remarkable. i don't have enough of a memory of my first time reading it to recall if this is noticeable if you don't also already know what's coming, but this book is basically Spoiler Alert: the Novel

which i really dig how that weaves into Paul's foresight and what he becomes later

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Did yall see that news story where a Nordstom in Walnut Creek, CA got looted by like 80 people, many in ski masks? And it wasn't like, there was a bunch of unrest outside then a window broke, then people were like hey free clothes. It didnt look like spillover from a protest or a crowd from a sports game. The store was open, the people entered through the front door, incapacitated the staff and went to town. It was apparently organized? There were only 3 of about 80 arrested?

I am gonna need some better reporting on this because what on earth. And a Nordstrom of all places. Not like a best buy or something.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    People need clothes.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Did yall see that news story where a Nordstom in Walnut Creek, CA got looted by like 80 people, many in ski masks? And it wasn't like, there was a bunch of unrest outside then a window broke, then people were like hey free clothes. It didnt look like spillover from a protest or a crowd from a sports game. The store was open, the people entered through the front door, incapacitated the staff and went to town. It was apparently organized? There were only 3 of about 80 arrested?

I am gonna need some better reporting on this because what on earth. And a Nordstrom of all places. Not like a best buy or something.

I did not hear about this. Did you hear about the cash truck that the door flew open and threw cash all across the freeway?

People 100% would have gotten away with it if social media hadn't ruined it by people taking video and posting it there.

So the cops were just like, you're all on video on the internet please come in and return the money.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Hiking and camping is great. We drove out into the middle of a desert state park and explored caves and it was super fun. God damn I love having friends with cars good off road

Also I made aero press coffee and that was great

tyrannus on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am trying to imagine like, some form of organized crime putting together the great Nordstrom heist

Or like a flash mob organized online

Neither especially adds up. Maybe there were just a few people who wanted to rob the store and the spirit of "hey fuck your $90 top" just naturally spread thru all the shoppers present. I mean having been inside a nordstom i get it.

edited November 2021
    Chanus wrote: »
    so i've gotten around to pulling my copy of Dune off the shelf and started reading it

the printing of this copy was 1990, which gives some indication of how long it's been since i last read it

i'm struck by how unconventional the storytelling is. not all the usual things people mention like lore dumps and inner monologue, but that there are no twists. every single story beat is told to you before it happens

it's really remarkable. i don't have enough of a memory of my first time reading it to recall if this is noticeable if you don't also already know what's coming, but this book is basically Spoiler Alert: the Novel

which i really dig how that weaves into Paul's foresight and what he becomes later

I'm reading it for a work bookclub again, I'm about 20% in. Paul nudges people a lot more than I remember and you also get less insight into his thoughts than I remember.
    I think the Harkonnens winning isnt foregone yet though. I mean we know Paul is going to do something terrible and that the Duke is a romantic idealist, but the Fremen are a wildcard and there's enough background activity that it's hard to feel like their position is hopeless. Paul could yet uncover a traitor. We don't really know that there's no space weapon or that the Guild won't betray Harkonnen.

I dont know, I feel like the sense that This Isnt Kind Of Book isn't there yet for me, when they are about to go inspect the spice harvest operation and have just met Khines.

Tumin on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I am trying to imagine like, some form of organized crime putting together the great Nordstrom heist

Neither especially adds up. Maybe there were just a few people who wanted to rob the store and the spirit of "hey fuck your $90 top" just naturally spread thru all the shoppers present. I mean having been inside a nordstom i get it.

the idea of uncontrollable flash mobs destroying luxury brands through theft warms my heart a little, a spark of hope to carry on

brb starting a website that details which luxury brands use cheap marerials and sweatshop labor and then mark up and which ones are expensive because they pay workers a living wage and use pricey materials.

oh wow list 2 is looking real thin

JebusUD wrote: »

I had a dream

I was on a space station with an older lady. We were in a field of real wildflowers that had been plasticized somehow to make them not use water. It was actually a large room and you could see the four walls as a black terminus to the wildflower covered hill.

she was pretending to pick the flowers, but not actually removing them since they were highly prized. Essentially irreplaceable here in space.

There is a small table nearby. She takes out a bag of brightly colored orange gel capsules. The bag is labeled MicroMemory. We take the pills together. Over the next several minutes we are both still in the field and simultaneously not in the field.

I'm unsure where she finds herself, but I find myself in a marina, standing on a dock, dressed in a grey suit. There's a beautiful woman in a bridesmaid's dress near the shore.

"... I'm just wondering when it's your turn, dear..." the lady that I am with on the station, but is now here on the dock says.

The young woman rolls her eyes. She walks down the dock toward me and leans on the railing I'm standing by. "mothers..." she smirks.

Fast forward to us dancing then drinking then kissing in a series of quick images. A moment later I am back in the field of fake flowers.

"She seems lovely"

The woman smiled a sad smile "she was"

Then she picked a large flower from its stem and gave it to me.

...what is this Philip K. Dick level shit my brain is doing.

Well now I want Dennis Villeneuve to make a 2-3 hour $300 million movie out of JebusUD's dream

The trick is to watch 6 episodes of Cowboy Beebop and only get 5 hours of sleep and then have your wife wake you up in the middle of a dream and write it down as fast as you can before you forget.

Which I did here, original movie do not steal.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread

Reminiscent of the BART swarm attacks in SF, why doesnt organization online add up? Or just that everyone in the store participated?

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.php

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Pho is one of the most interesting, unique dishes in world cuisine!

Pho combines traditional Vietnamese elements with classic french ones, rice noodles with beef stock, a legacy of France's colonial occupation. But ain't no french recipes that then add lime, hot sauce, and basil! They're not typical flavor profile pairings at all!

And while Vietnamese cooking borrows a lot from the french, the service is totally different. Instead of a curated meal or course where you're not even allowed to put the pepper on yourself, you just get a basic bowl and then you're expected as part of the service to add in however much of each item you want. It's always the same items and you should be adding each of them though, it's not like a hot pot or some other course like that though.

And none of the things you add are allergens or dietarily restricted, that's not why it's done. It's just a different relationship between the cook and guest, the guest collaborates in the completion of their food. And pho is served extra hot because of that, with extra broth in big bowls, to keep enough heat to still be cooking the ingredients when it hits your table.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Maybe I should take a writing class. Sometimes I have good ideas but would probably be bad at translating them into a short story.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Tumin wrote: »

Reminiscent of the BART swarm attacks in SF, why doesnt organization online add up? Or just that everyone in the store participated?

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.php

Organization online doesnt add up because the tech savvy to build a group this large without drawing attention is p uncommon and the orchestration implies some kind of leadership. Its possible it just doesnt seem like close to the most likely option.

Was the BART swarm organized online. The article didnt say.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    fxxvu69av844.jpeg

just because it's been bugging me that all of you arguing about it don't actually know what you're talking about, the Shuffle option is still there for albums, it is just no longer the default option

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

the idea of uncontrollable flash mobs destroying luxury brands through theft warms my heart a little, a spark of hope to carry on

https://fox40.com/news/california-connection/video-9-hammer-wielding-thieves-smash-displays-steal-jewels-at-concord-mall/

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQLpBEwAzc

fxxvu69av844.jpeg

just because it's been bugging me that all of you arguing about it don't actually know what you're talking about, the Shuffle option is still there for albums, it is just no longer the default option

honestly aside from the entire argument before, its bizarre that shuffle was the default, because albums frequently feature gapless track presentations or songs that have multiple parts and it would just sound bad. somebody has arranged an order why not use it by default.

the only reasons I can think of are either insidious or careless

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    fxxvu69av844.jpeg

honestly aside from the entire argument before, its bizarre that shuffle was the default, because albums frequently feature gapless track presentations or songs that have multiple parts and it would just sound bad. somebody has arranged an order why not use it by default.

Doesn't the free version not let you play in order?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    fxxvu69av844.jpeg

yeah at the very least it is dumb to make albums shuffle by default

if people want to listen to albums like psychopaths, i'm fine with then being allowed to choose that

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Cut Copy's in ghost colours is a great album I can think of where a lot of tracks crossfade at the start and end and are meant to be in a specific order.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Pho is one of the most interesting, unique dishes in world cuisine!

Pho combines traditional Vietnamese elements with classic french ones, rice noodles with beef stock, a legacy of France's colonial occupation. But ain't no french recipes that then add lime, hot sauce, and basil! They're not typical flavor profile pairings at all!

And while Vietnamese cooking borrows a lot from the french, the service is totally different. Instead of a curated meal or course where you're not even allowed to put the pepper on yourself, you just get a basic bowl and then you're expected as part of the service to add in however much of each item you want. It's always the same items and you should be adding each of them though, it's not like a hot pot or some other course like that though.

And none of the things you add are allergens or dietarily restricted, that's not why it's done. It's just a different relationship between the cook and guest, the guest collaborates in the completion of their food. And pho is served extra hot because of that, with extra broth in big bowls, to keep enough heat to still be cooking the ingredients when it hits your table.

I made pho last night for dinner. It's one of my frequent staples because it's always so good and always so easy.

Although I'm probably doing it wrong - because I use chicken broth (It's the only one low sodium option I have readily available, I don't make my own stock and beef and pho broth both have only high sodium options in the grocery store here). I spice it with pepper, basil and cilantro, but have never added lime. I should try that! Rice noodles, of course. For the protein I change it up. Sometimes pork chops, sometimes a small steak, sometimes chicken breast. I cook the protein separately, and in the case of the steak and pork, well undercooked so it's still pretty much raw inside. The heat of the broth when I combine it in the bowl will finish cooking the meat.

For chicken it doesn't change anything that I've noticed flavour-wise if I cook it thoroughly before combining, but for the pork and steak, it makes a huge difference.

I still have never used Spotify should I or is it bad now?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I rarely want to re-organize an album's tracklist. Like it normally flows together.

The only time I wanted to do it was with No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom":

My tracklist was better.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    fxxvu69av844.jpeg

Doesn't the free version not let you play in order?

The phone app, free version, only lets you play in shuffle mode

Spotify has always been bad re: supporting artists but on a technical and design level its a good service and in terms of cost its reasonable.

Its just also happens to be scarcely better than piracy ethically.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I still have never used Spotify should I or is it bad now?

I used it briefly for podcasts and it was by a fair margin the best player for podcasts I've ever used. Really easy browsing long playlists for podcasts with many entries, remembers place and doesn't make you rebrowse the list if you look at something else and come back.

But since I'm running a Plex system now, I just use it. The Plex app is not great for podcasts. But I'd rather have one app than several.

Cut Copy's in ghost colours is a great album I can think of where a lot of tracks crossfade at the start and end and are meant to be in a specific order.

Every Modest Mouse album.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Spotify has always been bad re: supporting artists but on a technical and design level its a good service and in terms of cost its reasonable.

I'm pretty sure the cost and the rest are all joined at the hip.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Agreeing on your first and last points, not your middle one. Spotify has never impressed me with its UI and service, especially in areas with a poor data connection.

This discussion has been closed.