As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Spotify has always been bad re: supporting artists but on a technical and design level its a good service and in terms of cost its reasonable.

Its just also happens to be scarcely better than piracy ethically.

Nah, the search function used to be better. Now you can't narrow it down further so you have to deal with songs similar to what you were looking for, but not what you were seeking.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    fxxvu69av844.jpeg

just because it's been bugging me that all of you arguing about it don't actually know what you're talking about, the Shuffle option is still there for albums, it is just no longer the default option

honestly aside from the entire argument before, its bizarre that shuffle was the default, because albums frequently feature gapless track presentations or songs that have multiple parts and it would just sound bad. somebody has arranged an order why not use it by default.

the only reasons I can think of are either insidious or careless

y9fc0rarh152.png

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I dont like how much of plex is cloud controlled tbh. I feel very uncomfortable with how I host my stuff and then a service I dont pay for "value adds" metadata and very slick apps. Because they're making money off me somewhere, I just dont know exactly how and where. Which is always three red flags to me.

I still use it tho because its the best in the self hosted streaming space.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I hate when Spotify tells me it's offline and won't play anything.

I PAY FOR OFFLINE, YOU MUSIC HOARDING BITCH.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    fxxvu69av844.jpeg

just because it's been bugging me that all of you arguing about it don't actually know what you're talking about, the Shuffle option is still there for albums, it is just no longer the default option

honestly aside from the entire argument before, its bizarre that shuffle was the default, because albums frequently feature gapless track presentations or songs that have multiple parts and it would just sound bad. somebody has arranged an order why not use it by default.

y9fc0rarh152.png

Old Atlanta, New Atlanta, future of the city-

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I am waiting for my spotify 2021 wrap up but I listen like every day at work and also frequently at home while playing games

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Didn't we use to have a thread about Russian shenanigans? I feel like we did.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Wife:”I cast level 5 summon husband.”
    Me:”you’re out of spell slots.”
    Wife:”I’m using wife points to upcast it.”
    Me:”I’ll bring a coke with me.”

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I can't believe it's been a year since the Top 2020 [chat] playlist dropped

Ugh

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I dont like how much of plex is cloud controlled tbh. I feel very uncomfortable with how I host my stuff and then a service I dont pay for "value adds" metadata and very slick apps. Because they're making money off me somewhere, I just dont know exactly how and where. Which is always three red flags to me.

I do pay for it - I'm using the Plexamp app for music streaming and it's very slick. I think it's just they get enough people to buy the premium version and the free version is the gateway.

EDIT: Plexamp is only available to premium users, just to be clear. I'm not super familiar with all the other benefits offhand since $6 a month (or $160 one time) seemed pretty low cost for doing a lot more than my $10 a month going to Google was doing.

Nova_C on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Spotify has always been bad re: supporting artists but on a technical and design level its a good service and in terms of cost its reasonable.

Agreeing on your first and last points, not your middle one. Spotify has never impressed me with its UI and service, especially in areas with a poor data connection.

Agree that their streaming quality is often lacking but who else is as big and as supported with higher quality streams? I use apple music and the quality once a stream starts is great but cutouts are frequent and I hate the UI.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Nah, the search function used to be better. Now you can't narrow it down further so you have to deal with songs similar to what you were looking for, but not what you were seeking.
    I find the GUI crashes inexplicably about twice a week and I have to often reinstall it to get it to work. I personally blame Irond Will.

i assume a fair chunk of their money comes from people paying for premium because they think they need it for streaming (like I did!)

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    this year was supposed to be the year i listened to music a ton again and so didn't end up with my Spotify wrap up being half Dave Matthews because i listened to one song a couple times and then i've not really listened to music very much this year either so we'll see what it looks like i guess

there was a time it would have been unconscionable to me to not listen to music constantly. i don't know what i've become

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    How had I not heard of Lapland New Forest until like five minutes ago. It sounds like it was amazing

Nova_C wrote: »

I do pay for it - I'm using the Plexamp app for music streaming and it's very slick. I think it's just they get enough people to buy the premium version and the free version is the gateway.

I should read their ToS, decide if I trust them, then go paid and use them for music. I've been dissatisfied with every streaming music service I've used so far.

Just looking, I think the major features of premium are Plexamp, and the ability to download media to the local device for offline viewing/listening.

Some other stuff that seemed useful in very select setups.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    I can't believe it's been a year since the Top 2020 [chat] playlist dropped

Ugh

I didn't finish it, but I listened to a ton of songs from it and found a few new ones I liked

I hope we do it again this year : D

edited November 2021
    Nova_C wrote: »

I should read their ToS, decide if I trust them, then go paid and use them for music. I've been dissatisfied with every streaming music service I've used so far.

The app is pretty good, but I still only use it for my own collection. I haven't tried their Tidal service at all - which is a different subscription from premium.

Nova_C on
    edited November 2021
    I also use a much simpler cloudless self hosted streaming service called Air Video HD but even though I love it to death and its much lighter than Plex, it hasnt been updated in 7 years and it hard crashes the server when clients request H.265/HEVC content and I'm tired of rebooting it.

Going plex paid and retiring it is probably the right move.

Donkey Kong on
    actually speaking of spotify, i'm pleasantly surprised at their new live lyrics feature

i thought it was just going to be like what they had before with Behind the Lyrics where it was like "the Taylor Swift song I Hate My Ex Boyfriend And Think My Fans Should Attack Him is about how much she dislikes her ex boyfriend and how her fans should attack him" but it's been pretty great for most of the stuff i've thrown at it

it's not perfect for relatively obscure stuff but i assume a lot of it is algorithmically generated and it'll only improve with time

edited November 2021
    I don't know if this is the result of bias colouring my perception, but one thing I've noticed is the sound mix seems to be richer coming from Plexamp than what I had coming from Youtube music. Like, whatever music processing they're doing under the hood just sounds better. I'm not sure if there's equalizer settings, I should look.

EDIT:Oh, there is, excellent.

I'm almost certain Youtube Music did not have one as an option.

Nova_C on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    If i had to make a chat, it'd be wizard themed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQLpBEwAzc

Not available in freedom land. What tyranny is this? That message is for foreigners!

Also, what is with this song being 25% intro?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I also use a much simpler cloudless self hosted streaming service called Air Video HD but even though I love it to death and its much lighter than Plex, it hasnt been updated in 7 years and it hard crashes the server when clients request H.265/HEVC content and I'm tired of rebooting it.

Going plex paid and retiring it is probably the right move.

I think it might be free to stream from something hosted in air video HD and 1-time fee to be able to stream from stuff hosted in Plex. Maybe the 1-time fees add up for Plex?

sig.gif
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I still have never used Spotify should I or is it bad now?

It’s led me to a huge amount of new and good music

I basically listen to new music and save what I like every week

Casual Eddy on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I have two special fancy cups in my cabinet for poaching eggs but I don't particularly like poached eggs. Yet I feel sad the cups aren't being used. What the word for feeling compelled to use an appliance or accessory when you don't need to use it.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I have also diacovered a lot of new music through spotify

finding a good track with less than a few thousand views on youtube

chefs kiss

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I also have a lemon zester I use twice a year and I only use it because I have it. If it fell into a black hole, I'd be relieved but I can't throw away a perfectly good zester, that's an abhorrent thought.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I still have never used Spotify should I or is it bad now?

It’s led me to a huge amount of new and good music

I basically listen to new music and save what I like every week

you do have to wrangle its algorithm a bit and actively seek things outside of what it recommends or you pretty quickly end up listening to mostly the same kinds of artists, even if some of them are new to you

but if you tale the reins it's really good for finding new music

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    fxxvu69av844.jpeg

Their next-song algorithm and buffering is part of why they got so big. I think probably it was the default out of legacy/pride.

PSN: Honkalot
    tale the reins

typing. it is hard

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I am tired. Finished my AM shift and got our production servers patched without downtime, then got 4-5 days worth of healthy groceries because our farm share is over for the year (we should have canned more, but a lot of it is in the freezer)

Then I did two loads of dishes because we unpacked more boxes. I also made a snack plate for my wife for lunch and a protein shake for me.

I think I'm done for the day.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I still use free Pandora

Edit: away from home anyways, at home it's all vinyl

Weaver on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Whenever Spotify comes out with the personalized end of year top songs playlists, we can do that again, but I'm definitely learning from last time and excising the DND background music and repeats. I might even cut it to top 25 from each person to really hone it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My hip/back is doing much better at the gym today. And later we're taking to dog to a training class.

I think my spotify recs get worse the more I expand my taste in music. I have a few friends who do big playlists of their finds but their curated playlists are pushing into thousands of songs and it's hard to remember what Ive heard and havent heard.

Just feed me what society has decide- Doctor, why are you holding the Top 40 syringe?

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Is this Plex thing good for music, too? I've been occasionally thinking about maybe starting to look for some cloud based thing to rip my albums to.

edited November 2021
    Eddy wrote: »
    Whenever Spotify comes out with the personalized end of year top songs playlists, we can do that again, but I'm definitely learning from last time and excising the DND background music and repeats. I might even cut it to top 25 from each person to really hone it

Even 25 seems high. Top 10! Top 5!

Or put your favorite song and let us judge each other harshly

Tumin on
    i've gone to the gym three times a week at least 30 weeks this year

which has been great for my body but awful for my spotify wrapped

it's just gonna be Remember The Name by Fort Minor, Collision Course by Linkin Park/Jay Z and Thiago Silva by Dave at the top because they're all hype

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

Even 25 seems high. Top 10! Top 5!

Or put your favorite song and let us judge each other harshly

I'm judging you right now Tumin

as harshly as 100 grit sandpaper

This discussion has been closed.