As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Got my adjustable mace yesterday! However, with no extra plates on the threaded rod won't screw all the way in, probably due to gunk in the threading in the handle, and I can't reach that deep to clean it up.

...so I 3D-printed a couple of spacers. (There's a rubber washer as well to provide some flex for locking it down tight.)

This mace has about 2 kilos in the base plate and 4 kilos in the handle, so with no extra plates it's 6 kg/13 lbs. Feels really different to have so much weight in the handle itself, but in a good way - when most of the weight is in the head the mace does a lot of work to swing itself and I'm just holding on, with this heavy handle it feels like a lot more work with the same weight.

uoo6lj6p97vh.png

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Back into it with the weightlifting. First real time lifting anything since I was sick with long covid in early 2020. Squats have made me sore!

I'm now lifting in a gym that doesn't have metric weights. Confusing! Good thing that 45 pounds is roughly 20 kg.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Peen wrote: »
    Reracking the bar after a bench rep is really the most nerve wracking thing in lifting, if I die under a bar that'll be how. I think about it too much!

That one particular rep where you completely lose control of the bar path and it's rapidly drifting over your face while you're trying to lock it out while navigating a crash landing into the j hooks, hoping it doesn't bounce on impact.

Good times, man.

TheRealBadger on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Last post about the safety squat bar for a while, I promise, but I tried doing jm presses with it and that's a very nice exercise. Most tricep extensions bother my elbows, like most people, but those feel pretty great. I'm going to push the weight a little tomorrow, see how that goes, but early returns are promising.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Last post about the safety squat bar for a while, I promise, but I tried doing jm presses with it and that's a very nice exercise. Most tricep extensions bother my elbows, like most people, but those feel pretty great. I'm going to push the weight a little tomorrow, see how that goes, but early returns are promising.

I watched a video with JM Blakely explaining how he got so much out of it, it was more volume. I think that’s probably the way to go. It’s what I’ve been doing with my accessories

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    I hit my end of November cardio goal tonight. I've never been a cardio machine guy (please act surprised) and whenever I've needed some puff in the past I've just done resistance circuits and complexes. But I gotta say, it is deeply satisfying setting a decent PR on the assault bike. There's just no way to bullshit or half ass your way through "X calories in Y time" on that thing. Can't lower the resistance, can't put in cheaty or half reps. Just gotta guts through it.

Finished with kroc rows and shoulder mobility work. Satisfying session.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Seven sets of ten on the SSB, starting with a set at RPE ten (that ended with a horrific bail during rep ten). Death death death.

I just realized, because of that bail, instead of doing 70 total reps that ChadBot programmed, I did 69.

Gork 1. ChadBot 0.

Gork on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Worked up to 210lbs for 3 sets of 5 on the squat with no real problems.

I hate how inconsistent it is. Some days I feel good and like I can start increasing my weight bit by bit and then one day, out of nowhere my backs like "lol, nah" and I have to back off it.

I guess I have to take the wins where I can. Maybe just have to start creeping up by 5lbs here and there and just hope my body takes to it.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I don't know what I did today but it was one of those dig deep for it days and I hit two personal bests after a few weeks of physical and mental game struggles with my new work life schedule.

cleared 70lb overhead press 5x5
    Final deadlift set I cleared 195lb 1x5

The ohp is just my white whale and I've hit that wall like 4 times this past year so breaking it is dope as hell.

DL was definitely the lift I've gotten back into the easiest since my move but it's still exciting progress and means I'll be working to get past 200 next time.

So Rogue sent me a pair of replacement Monolift arms, which is excellent. However, their packaging; not so excellent. The mounting pins for both arms, the very piece that failed on my last set, gouged holes in the boxes and were sticking out of the box. Given that UPS is not known for delicate package handling, I’m not thrilled that’s how they were in transit and I can’t imagine this is a rare occurrence. I emailed customer service just to give them a heads up and they said let them know if I see any damage to the arms. They didn’t appear damaged last time, either, so if these break, I’m going to lose it.

edited November 2021
    I should have tried putting them on the rack before making that post. They won’t rotate into place. Seems like the angle between the mounting pin and the arm plate is off. Hmm, how could that have happened?!?!?

Gork on
    The Slingshot people are clearing out old compression cuffs, they're the best quality cuffs I've bought and they're hella cheap. I buy two inches smaller than my elbows but I like em tight.

https://markbellslingshot.com/collections/outlet/products/compression-cuff-outlet

Need to find somewhere to buy a .5kg plate for the adjustable mace so I have more finegrained weight options.

Also unscrewing the handle to adjust it and then screw it back on is a workout by itself. Dang, my wrists.

Tried 10 kilos (22 lbs) on the mace, and fuck me, pendulum mechanics will ambush and brutalize you. Nope, back down to 7.5 (16 lbs).

They’re sending another pair. Can’t complain about the customer service but maybe they could ask UPS not to play soccer with my package, this time.

So the way an SSB throws you forward is pretty real huh? I just almost ate shit with the third rep with two plates in a real way, like I fought it out just fine but that's the diciest two plates has been in many a year. I think that's my threshold for now and many more reps with lighter weight than I expected is going to be the order of the day, as much as it hurts my pride.

Yeah, SSB weight and straight bar weight are definitely not one to one. It’s somewhere around a 60lbs drop for me. In that vein, adjust where your safeties are because those aren’t equivalent, either.

New arms showed up and they fit. Now to figure out how the hell I’m going to get all of these broken ones out of here. Rogue wants them but all the damn boxes they sent me got fucked to hell by UPS.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Okay it's a Meet Report

Training for this meet was overall quite good. I got fat while my wife was pregnant, so I had to drop bodyweight. Bench in particular was feeling good - I hit 275 paused for many singles, and 290 touch-n-go.

Three weeks out, two things happened: I injured my elbow squatting, which meant I could not get under a bar for two weeks. Also, I missed a 500 deadlift in training - a first. So going into the meet, I was iffy on my squat, excited about my bench, and a little scared of my deadlift.

I did a water cut because I wanted a 400 Wilks score (even though Wilks is deprecated lol). Weighed in at 71.9kg (158.5lbs).

I ended up hitting:

Squat
    175 (386)
    187.5 (407)
    192.5 (424) - ties a meet PR.
    Bench
    115 (253)
    120 (264) PR
    125 (275) PR
    Deadlift
    215 (474)
    227.5 (501) - Miss.
    I didn't take a third deadlift.

Total: 532.5 (1174 lbs) @ 71.9 (158.5 lbs) for a 391 Wilks (not a PR)

This was enough to give me clear first in my weight class and third overall best lifter, but I don't think I will hold that position after the afternoon session. Edit: just kidding I won third place overall!

So overall, two out of three lifts were clicking. I am thrilled about benching 275 in competition, and slightly perplexed that 500 gave me such trouble. I just didn't have it today. Can't complain about the results! Time to eat pizza.

Methuselah on
    Awesome job @Methuselah . Sometimes I think about actually competing, especially before I hit masters. I’d probably do pretty well in a local meet, so it could be fun.

Just finished my first hypertrophy block with ChadBot and I’m feeling pretty good, so far. I have another hypertrophy block up, and some of the next set of prescribed lifts are the same and some are new (double overhand 1” deficit deadlifts made me giggle). Looks fun, again. I’m not sure I could ever go back to doing my own programming.

Tried some Hatfield squats today, those seem cool. I haven't had a good way to isolate my quads, not that I was happy with anyway, and that seems like a good one.

Nice job @Methuselah , that's a solid meet. I should see if they've started running the local strongman meets again.

I ate a whole sweet potato with goat cheese this morning with my eggs and a kiwi on the side before working out and this might be a winning combo for pre-workout meals. I feel stronk

That or it was the Wendy's baconator and 6 piece nuggs I ate last night.

Just need hells of carbs maybe.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    between trying to figure out my work life and getting two kitties last week, i haven't actually been in the gym for a couple weeks.

so today was hard working and I didn't succeed in the normal sense BUT I had good working attempts on my first time at pulling a couple of these weights.

Deadlift was my first time over 200 (205lb) and my first rep i got hit real hard by my grip strength failing and basically just had fingertips on the bar by the time it hit the floor. I did a really good feeling second rep with a reverse grip. then i died trying to get the 3rd off the ground... good shit! I had to sit down for a moment after that last pull attempt.

For the first time in a month, ChadBot put back squats back into my program after exclusively doing SSB. But with five second eccentrics. And after sets of eight on deficit deadlifts. ChadBot cares not for human holidays.

I don’t get how people take a month or two off from main movements and come back better at them. I felt like a baby flamingo learning how to walk. But uglier. And more pink.

Yesterday I started mixing squats into my mace sets and today I had difficulties getting up from the toilet.

When asking oneself how drunk is too drunk to bench press, "what would Tom "Huck" Finn do" is probably the wrong answer huh

Update: I did not bench press after drinking, I'm going to wait to bench until tonight. Stay safe kids.

Man, I can never feel much upper pecs on incline bench.

Maybe I need to decrease my angle but I usually hang at around 30-40° which is the prescribed range for incline I thought.

Echo wrote: »
    Yesterday I started mixing squats into my mace sets and today I had difficulties getting up from the toilet.

Perhaps some sort of chain winch in the ceiling for assistance.

Perhaps some sort of chain winch in the ceiling for assistance.

Blaine Sumner has the coolest automatic winch safeties that he rigged up. They grab the bar when he fails. But I guess you need that when you regularly bench over 1,000lbs.

I just got humbled by the Jacob's Ladder.

Got done with my workout early and decided I needed to get some cardio in and wanted to try out the Jacob's Ladder for the first time. Made it about 4m 30s and just kinda coasted to the bottom. Absolutely donion rings. I really felt it in my calves weirdly enough. Could be a good way to get some extra burnout on em.

Wife got me a Rogue rackable curl bar for my birthday. I think she is trying to tell me something, but what…

I never would have bought a curl bar on my own because I didn’t think it was necessary, but damn, it was really nice to use and it felt great on my wrists. It’s a pretty sexy bar, too.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Guess it's curling time my man

Joke’s on her. I used it for skullcrushers and upright rows. Team noodle arms forever!

I started a new Hepburn block with 225/100 today and that's a huge milestone for me, I've wanted 225 to be a comfortable working weight for a long time. I got through all 8 doubles just fine and then the 6s with 175 fine as well and I'm very excited, bench has always been the slowest moving lift for me.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    The batteries in my bathroom scales ran out and I didn't replace them for ages. When I finally got around to replacing them, a couple of weeks back, wow I gained 10kg. That's mostly a good 10kg I think, I'm definitely more muscular at the moment.

I've been nursing my shoulder back from its regular bursitis, so I'm out of routine, but it felt ok the last week or so. Since I'm traveling in another few days though there's no point going back to my regular routine right now. So this morning I changed it up a bit, did some front squats and Bulgarian split squats, so I'm expecting amazing soreness to come in. I haven't done unilateral leg exercises for ages. Spent a fair bit of time doing odd sets of chin ups and pushups and stuff while I waited for the squat rack to free up. I can't complain when someone else is in the squat rack for 25 minutes, after all, most of the time I'm in the gym I'm squatting or pressing or doing something there.
    4x8x60kg Pendlay rows
    Bunch of chin-ups, pushups, goblet squats, etc. waiting for the squat rack
    4x8x60kg front squats
    2x8, then 1x5, then 2x3x 42.5 overhead barbell press
    3x8x30lb dumbbells, Bulgarian split squats.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Hey all, I've just started participating in an exercise research study and got randomized into the resistance/strength training group. The study is basically looking at a bunch of parameters before and after 12 weeks of strength training in a sedentary group. I'm just starting with the actual exercises now and it's all guided by a personal trainer so a newbie like me doesn't have to just faff about and hope I'm doing things right.

The purpose of these first three visits is to familiarize myself with the machines/exercises and to set my initial rep and max effort weights. I have so far surprised everyone, including myself, with my leg press single rep maximum. At first visit it was 625lbs, and this morning it was 715lbs. The research team was very happy to see this, as I'm the first person to have to use the fancy new leg press machine they bought because my maximum is over what the old one can do. I guess that my 10 years of playing football as a lineman hasn't left me entirely, even after over a decade.

I can't wait to see where my numbers are at the end of the research study. Looking forward to getting stronk and then continuing to work to get even stronker. I can see why this weight lifting thing appeals to so many of us nerds - I gotta make number go up.

edited December 2021
    I hate my gym. It's owned by a LDS guy and it used to be 24/7 but they just didn't staff on Saturday. You could still badge in. But now they've started actually closing on Fridays at 5pm and don't open back up until like, 9pm on Saturday. You can't get in at all. On top of that they've got a whole table set up for crackpot religious pamphlets and DVD's about how vaccines are the Mark of the Beast or some shit. The head manager (maybe owner, I dunno) is a fucking prick, too. I've had a run in or two with him.

It's so frustrating. When I signed up this place was 24/7 and that's what I was paying for. Now it's not and I hate it, because my schedule is fucked up and I occasionally need weird hours. The only alternative is a Gold's which is way more expensive and not quite as close. I may just have to make the switch and then use my yearly accommodation from work to off set some of the cost.

Juggernut on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    So if you guys are on the road and can't lift heavy for a while, what are your go-to exercises? I know a whole bunch of bodyweight exercises but I'm considering how to put them together into some consistent routine for my time away from the gym.

I have some light-ish dumbbells I can work in, too.
    Maybe I'll work on getting up to decent pistol squats again, and try to push my push up endurance.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    So what's the deal with saunas? I don't really use them, dont know why, and am concerned that other people use them without knowing why

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.