As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i've gone to the gym three times a week at least 30 weeks this year

which has been great for my body but awful for my spotify wrapped

it's just gonna be Remember The Name by Fort Minor, Collision Course by Linkin Park/Jay Z and Thiago Silva by Dave at the top because they're all hype

Remember The Name by Fort Minor is fucking amazing, I love that song.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I can honestly say I haven't heard a lot of bad music this year.

I've pretty much enjoyed all the chart toppers in various genres, found some tom petty b-sides I had never listened to, and really curated my background music to give me that sweet 80s synth.

2021 wasn't a good year for much, but the music was alright

are YOU on the beer list?
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I doubt dnd background music will hit my top 50 but I do listen to a lot of fantasy soundtracks and ambient music in my spare time

Orca wrote: »
    i've gone to the gym three times a week at least 30 weeks this year

which has been great for my body but awful for my spotify wrapped

it's just gonna be Remember The Name by Fort Minor, Collision Course by Linkin Park/Jay Z and Thiago Silva by Dave at the top because they're all hype

Remember The Name by Fort Minor is fucking amazing, I love that song.

I take that back, the song on its own is only mediocre. But Fort Minor vs. The Verve, now that is fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5Q0w0vTwk

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    There can be no favorite song proffered, for that is tainted with subjectivity and consideration. Only history and habit can save you now.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Is this Plex thing good for music, too? I've been occasionally thinking about maybe starting to look for some cloud based thing to rip my albums to.

It isn't "cloud" based, in that I'm running the Plex server on a raspberry pi I have connected to an external USB hard drive.

However, in terms of a streaming platform, yeah, it's great for music, music is the reason I moved to Plex and all my media being accessible to all my devices has been a bonus.

Nova_C on
    why is he called kid rock if he's 50 and does country music

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Got him out the dryer he's hot, found him in Fort Minor with Tak
    What a fuckin' nihilist porcupine; he's a prick; he's a cock

remember the name is great but that's the goofiest fuckin line like imagine saying that seriously

Got him out the dryer he's hot, found him in Fort Minor with Tak
    What a fuckin' nihilist porcupine; he's a prick; he's a cock

remember the name is great but that's the goofiest fuckin line like imagine saying that seriously

Yeah, but then this is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain, and a hundred percent reason to remember the name.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Whenever Spotify comes out with the personalized end of year top songs playlists, we can do that again, but I'm definitely learning from last time and excising the DND background music and repeats. I might even cut it to top 25 from each person to really hone it

I would be interested in this

lifting is a little bit of strength and a little bit of form and a lot of picking the right song

lifting is a little bit of strength and a little bit of form and a lot of picking the right song

dd3.jpg

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    @SummaryJudgment I forgot to say good job today! I've turned down a lot of shots before, nothing wrong with that.

I was going to go out this afternoon and just sit in a tree and watch stuff but it started raining when I got back with the groceries. At least the gutters are clean

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Between sets and I feel a band of hair slip loose, in my mind I turn to the camera and exasperatedly ask "Why isn't there a hairband that can lift as I hard as I do?"

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    brb starting a website that details which luxury brands use cheap marerials and sweatshop labor and then mark up and which ones are expensive because they pay workers a living wage and use pricey materials.

oh wow list 2 is looking real thin

Patagonia!

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    why is he called kid rock if he's 50 and does country music

well he's also from an upper class upbringing and not from Detroit so

it's because everything about him is full of shit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    This is absolutely my favorite pick of 2021 for workout tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKIvL0OPqYc

Gonna be a bit of a rush to get showered and changed, snag sone lunch and meet up with the family before the dog class, but worth it for getting a real feels good workout in

Also Seattle is hazy af right now what gives

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Spotify does this amazingly annoying thing where it hijacks the volume between separate devices. It goes like this:
    • Spotify is playing music on the desktop
    • Spotify is still in an active state on my phone
    • I go to take a dump and do some instagram scrolling
    • Spotify helpfully syncs the volume between devices
    • Instagram plays a video AT MAXIMUM VOLUME
    • I lower the volume on the phone
    • The volume on Spotify on the desktop lowers
    • I go back to the desk, raise the volume in Spotify
    • Simultaneously I see the volume on my phone go back to max

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Fly through SLC reminds me of the job I didn’t get -.-

Unclear whether I would have taken it, but it’s the principle of the thing!!

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Spotify does this amazingly annoying thing where it hijacks the volume between separate devices. It goes like this:

wut

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

It's impressive that they've done this on a technical level but it sounds incredibly unnecessary, ill-conceived as a feature, and I can't imagine what problem it's really trying to solve in a general sense.

Like, who was clamoring for cross-device volume sync, exactly? It's ludicrous. It only even makes sense if your audio output device follows you from place to place, and even then it's a ton of effort for like, nearly no benefit. And a menace otherwise.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    chat vibes right now
    VjDuFUs.jpg

Sure, I can see it being handy to use my phone as a volume remote control when I'm on the same network, but my phone's volume controlling Spotify on a different device when Spotify isn't even the active app? Piss off.

I almost never use bluetooth, but that's mostly because I don't like fiddling with it. I love me some corded headphones, but I've got to find a better pair that works with glasses.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I would love it if my phone's audio volume automatically drifted back down to 0 after a while (~15 mins) of not outputting anything.

If they could do it just for the speakers, that would be great, but I'd be ok if it was global for all outputs as well. I don't mind ramping the volume back up for each music or video session.

But I'd absolutely like to reduce the instance of SUDDEN VERY LOUD PHONE SPEAKER AUDIO to zero if possible.

It's the shittiest thing when this happens when you're in bed and just check the phone before lights out and AAAAAH LOUD NOISES.

edited November 2021

It's impressive that they've done this on a technical level but it sounds incredibly unnecessary, ill-conceived as a feature, and I can't imagine what problem it's really trying to solve in a general sense.

Like, who was clamoring for cross-device volume sync, exactly? It's ludicrous. It only even makes sense if your audio output device follows you from place to place, and even then it's a ton of effort for like, nearly no benefit. And a menace otherwise.

it makes sense in a way insofar as spotify doesn't let you play two separate things on two separate devices at the same time but it does let you cast to a device so you can control the volume of the casted device from the original device

like for example, we've used it a lot with the speaker in the sitting room. If we have people over, we cast to that and then can control the volume from an ipad on the table and it stops people from having to fuck around with the volume on the speaker

edit: admittedly it's probably not THE most useful feature and it maybe should be a toggle but it is quite handy in certain situations

Tav on
    Phones are devices that follow us through our lives now. They enter private and quiet spaces with us, and their design needs to start reflecting that.

like for example, we've used it a lot with the speaker in the sitting room. If we have people over, we cast to that and then can control the volume from an ipad on the table and it stops people from having to fuck around with the volume on the speaker

edit: admittedly it's probably not THE most useful feature and it maybe should be a toggle but it is quite handy in certain situations

It's absolutely handy to have the phone as a volume control when you're in the couch, but the implementation is shit.

Why does Spotify feel the need to set my phone to full blast when I change the volume on the desktop?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I wonder if Ernie Hudson gets much work. He is probably the one that is the happiest to ride the Ghostbusters wave.

Edit: It looks like he has been in a good amount of stuff.

Krathoon on

it makes sense in a way insofar as spotify doesn't let you play two separate things on two separate devices at the same time but it does let you cast to a device so you can control the volume of the casted device from the original device

It makes sense that when casting, the spotify volume control passes through and represents the destination volume control. That's how nicer bluetooth devices, apple airplay, chromecasts, etc work. But it sounds like in Echo's situation he was not casting at all and it's just kind of forwarding volume settings around to all his different spotify instances, and in the mobile spotify, this is tied to system volume.

edited November 2021

Oh yeah, let me tell you about the next amazing thing! It hasn't happened since I switched to Airpods, but my previous earbuds I had connected to multiple devices. The earbuds still need to be manually switched between devices.

If I had Spotify running on both devices, and were on the same wifi network, Spotify would just instantly pause the music, because somehow earbuds connected to both devices (even if only actively connected to on of them) = trying to play on two devices.

I made a support thread on their bug forum a couple of years ago that is still open and is still getting "me too, why isn't this fixed yet?" and the handful of Spotify interns staff that have answered in that thread are stubbornly refusing to understand what the issue is and insisting everyone is doing it wrong.

Echo on

It's absolutely handy to have the phone as a volume control when you're in the couch, but the implementation is shit.

Why does Spotify feel the need to set my phone to full blast when I change the volume on the desktop?

this is because individual apps on ios don't have their own volume controls, it's all system volume

i'm not sure but i have a feeling this isn't an issue on android

Or is PC spotify basically always "cast" from your mobile device, sort of like the desktop versions of WhatsApp and signal?

My computer never changes my phones volume...

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wonder if Ernie Hudson gets much work. He is probably the one that is the happiest to ride the Ghostbusters wave.

Edit: I looks like he has been in a good amount of stuff.

He was a love interest in Frankie and Grace and then a supporting cast member / Gabrielle Unions dad in LA's Finest (Bad Boys but women).

He seems to be doing fine.

This discussion has been closed.