As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wonder if Ernie Hudson gets much work. He is probably the one that is the happiest to ride the Ghostbusters wave.

Edit: It looks like he has been in a good amount of stuff.

Yeah Hudson is in a lot, he's had a good career, he just also really fucking loved Ghostbusters and the fact that he'll still go to conventions and dress up like Winston and take pictures with people is awesome. I've got one of him and my dad from a con in Birmingham and my Dad talked to him for like 10 minutes about his heel role in The Substitute

Ernie could still quote the "power perceived is power achieved" line.

Good dude A+ on the beer list.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Spotify is here in Stockholm, maybe I should get hired, fix their shit, and then quit because they are very well known for not paying very well for software engineers and mostly pull people in with "Spotify is a big cool company".

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Is this Plex thing good for music, too? I've been occasionally thinking about maybe starting to look for some cloud based thing to rip my albums to.

I use YouTube Music (previously Google Play Music) specifically because at the time I was looking for a streaming service, it was the only option I could find that let you upload all of your own stuff. Now I'm just sort of stuck with it. I feel like the music suggestions are actually not great i.e. "suggested for you" playlists don't really branch out much so I keep hearing stuff that I've already listened to, which is frustrating. You'd think Google would be good at this stuff since they know everything else about me.

edit: One of the kinda nice things about YT music is you can also listen to any music that only exists on youtube (particularly live stuff). The flip side is that if you 'like' music on youtube it includes it on your 'liked music' auto-playlist. Which sounds useful but when I'm listening to a shuffled mix of music I enjoy I probably don't want that 90 minute concert to be included thank you very much.

exis on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Or is PC spotify basically always "cast" from your mobile device, sort of like the desktop versions of WhatsApp and signal?

it's more like there's a primary device that's actually spitting out the music into an active session but if you're logged in elsewhere, it'll behave as if it's being cast

if you're pooping and listening to music on your phone and logged in on your desktop, someone could change what you're listening to from there

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If i had to make a chat, it'd be wizard themed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQLpBEwAzc

Not available in freedom land. What tyranny is this? That message is for foreigners!

Also, what is with this song being 25% intro?

It's traditional with folk music to give bystanders a sporting chance to escape

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    If Spotify didnt automatically adjust my volume when I switch Bluetooth from PC to my phone to take the trash out I would literally die

I have my hands full of trash bags! I cant adjust the volume!

Tumin on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Ghostbusters is Dan Ackroyd's baby, but I get the impression he wanted to retire from it. The audience keeps wanting the original actors.

• Options
    I've just had my first homemade cocktail in what feels like almost a year

Two observations:

1) Oat cream doesn't work as well as oat milk in a white Russian

2) Drinking what equates to 160ml of spirits in five minutes is a surefire shortcut to being buzzed

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Two observations:

2) Drinking what equates to 160ml of spirits in five minutes is a surefire shortcut to being buzzed

Oat cream is not a word combination I've seen before.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Two observations:

I respect the culture behind White Russians (the Lebowski 80s/90s), but I have just never been able to enjoy booze and milk together.

Even eggnog...

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Two observations:

I respect the culture behind White Russians (the Lebowski 80s/90s), but I have just never been able to enjoy booze and milk together.

Even eggnog...

Irish Coffee is delicious though

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

Two observations:

Oatly make one

They also do a cultured version that is a good equivalent for creme fraiche

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I finished Picard and liked it a lot. The casting was great, the production value was great, and the questions it asked were more interesting than most recent trek stuff

• Options
    I finished Picard and liked it a lot. The casting was great, the production value was great, and the questions it asked were more interesting than most recent trek stuff

Eddy when the new season comes out next year I will group watch it with you.

• Options

Two observations:

Imagine oat milk, but, I don't know, thicker

Even eggnog...

It's a decent substitute for dessert if you don't have anything sweet except milk and booze

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Spotify forced me into the habit of pressing volume down before I knowingly do anything that plays audio, just in case it fucked with my phone/iPad volume from the desktop.

• Options
    Picard fucking rocked

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    https://www.insider.com/olympic-horse-punch-modern-pentathlon-chaos-athletes-revolt-rule-changes-2021-11
    Firstly, in official competitions, only 18 horses are provided for 36 athletes. This means each horses must jump twice, which not only places an undue amount of stress on each animal, but also puts the athletes who ride each horse second at a disadvantage.
    "Why is it only 18 horses are provided at a competition where there are 36 athletes?" Murray asked in an interview with Insider earlier in November.

"Often you cross your fingers and hope that the person in that first round rides without any damage, otherwise, you're then managing that going into your round. Why can't they just provide 36 horses so everyone has their own?
    The second issue with the current system of allocating horses is that the task of providing horses for elite competitions is given to the hosts of the events. This means that the quality of the animals provided can vary drastically depending on where in the world athletes are competing.
    Sometimes, this can have disastrous consequences, such as at a World Cup event in Acapulco, Mexico in 2014, where Murray said the horses provided were "limping" and had "open wounds."

"The horses they had sourced were local carting horses," she said.

"They had open wounds, they were limping. The course was very low, but none of the horses could get around it. They had never been schooled in show jumping.

That event was cancelled when athletes boycotted it over horse welfare concerns, though the UIPM never formally acknowledged that as the reason, saying instead it was down to extreme heat at the venue.

That sounds like a clearly awful rule so of course the Olympics refuses to change it

Maybe the horse was a jerk that deserved to be punched, you know?

Couscous on
  • Options

Two observations:

Imagine oat milk, but, I don't know, thicker

Even eggnog...

It's a decent substitute for dessert if you don't have anything sweet except milk and booze

Tres Leches* but with bourbon in it.

*Or as I like to call it at restaurants because it makes my wife absolutely cringe... "Milk Cake"

• Options
    Cous you find the weirdest shit on the internet and I operate a turn of the 20th century forge

• Options
    (but also yeah it's 2021 we should probably stop using horses in most of the 50 states, or start using them full time again)

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.insider.com/olympic-horse-punch-modern-pentathlon-chaos-athletes-revolt-rule-changes-2021-11
    Firstly, in official competitions, only 18 horses are provided for 36 athletes. This means each horses must jump twice, which not only places an undue amount of stress on each animal, but also puts the athletes who ride each horse second at a disadvantage.
    "Why is it only 18 horses are provided at a competition where there are 36 athletes?" Murray asked in an interview with Insider earlier in November.

"Often you cross your fingers and hope that the person in that first round rides without any damage, otherwise, you're then managing that going into your round. Why can't they just provide 36 horses so everyone has their own?
    The second issue with the current system of allocating horses is that the task of providing horses for elite competitions is given to the hosts of the events. This means that the quality of the animals provided can vary drastically depending on where in the world athletes are competing.
    Sometimes, this can have disastrous consequences, such as at a World Cup event in Acapulco, Mexico in 2014, where Murray said the horses provided were "limping" and had "open wounds."

"They had open wounds, they were limping. The course was very low, but none of the horses could get around it. They had never been schooled in show jumping.

That event was cancelled when athletes boycotted it over horse welfare concerns, though the UIPM never formally acknowledged that as the reason, saying instead it was down to extreme heat at the venue.

That sounds like a clearly awful rule so of course the Olympics refuses to change it

The modern pentathlon was supposed to exhibit the skills expected of a modern military officer - hence the need to control an unfamiliar horse

Therefore, we should update it to replace horses with tanks

• Options
    An Olympics host country should just give them feral horses for shits and giggles sometime

Admittedly, it wouldn't be funny after a few deaths due to that...

• Options
    edited November 2021

The modern pentathlon was supposed to exhibit the skills expected of a modern military officer - hence the need to control an unfamiliar horse

WW2 Harleys and 3 speed go-devil Willys Jeeps from the Korean War

amateurhour on
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular

This was true of Annika Schleu's horse, Saint Boy, in Tokyo.

It had already been ridden by another rider and had refused to jump. After Schleu was still allowed to ride it and it refused to jump again, the German's coach, Kim Raisner, struck the horse in frustration.

It may strike some viewers as harsh, but I maintain that all of the humans in this story should be killed.

• Options
    I haven't ridden a horse in 25 years and I'm fine keeping that streak alive

Goddamn things are huge

• Options
    A Le Mans start with all of the pentathlon contestants running into a paddock containing alpacas, ostriches, pantomime horses, 30 ducks lashed together into a raft, etc

• Options
    A Le Mans start with all of the pentathlon contestants running into a paddock containing alpacas, ostriches, pantomime horses, 30 ducks lashed together into a raft, etc

A dogsled but oops all beagles

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Echo wrote: »
    Spotify forced me into the habit of pressing volume down before I knowingly do anything that plays audio, just in case it fucked with my phone/iPad volume from the desktop.

I've noticed that the sites of erotic content have started defaulting to mute on the videos. Gobbless the frogrammer who did this.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Should have used the noble llama instead of the horse in the pentathlon

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    @SniperGuy Are you off and playing Halo on Wednesday?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    An Olympics host country should just give them feral horses for shits and giggles sometime

Admittedly, it wouldn't be funny after a few deaths due to that...

Sez you

• Options

WW2 Harleys and 3 speed go-devil Willys Jeeps from the Korean War

Motorcycles were proposed in the 1970's.
    Which is why it was such a surprise to find that the sport has been going around in circles on this particular argument for a long time. The legendary Jim Fox, who won team gold for Great Britain at Montreal 76, has been an advocate for years. “In my day I argued they should have exchanged the horse for a motorcycle,” Fox told the Guardian in 1992, “but they didn’t like the idea of motorised assistance in the Olympics. Why not a mountain bike?” Back then, the modern pentathlon was under threat from De Coubertin’s successor Juan Antonio Samaranch, who wanted to replace it with a sport people actually take part in, such as golf or tennis.
    They already shrunk the pentathlon from a four to five day event to a one day even in 1996

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Its weird that Thanksgiving is this week

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

be weirder if it weren't

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

In this economy?

• Options
    I dream of an Olympics where the host country actively sabotages everything because they hate the Olympics.

• Options
    What's an obscene number of deviled eggs to eat in one earth day?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving feels like a pointless holiday be gone with it it's just eating

• Options
    Damn that's cool.

I think it would be neat to have like a "survive the apocalypse" olympic decathlon where it's like everyone get to a spot where they've got a busted 4x4 and a pile of parts and some tools with a generator.

It's a five day event or a ten day event and they have to find water and food and shit.

Russia would absolutely own us

This discussion has been closed.