As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

BaidolBaidol I will hold him offEscape while you canRegistered User regular
edited July 2023 in Social Entropy++
Whether you're slaying the lowliest rat or the mightiest pantheon of gods, the power of friendship* will see you through.

*or the power of parallel hatred

Anyway, I'm playing Bravely Default 2 which is my first BD game and it is an enjoyable if fairly safe experience. I love how body language is used during cutscenes particularly when it involves characters not actively part of the conversation and the costumes for the jobs are very solid. I've got all of the non-postgame jobs and put together some classic "broken shit".

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
A duck! on

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I bought SMTV yesterday. I don't have a Switch but my kids do. So, now I am in a position where I have to ask them "Can I use the <insertconsolenamehere>, please?" Ohh how the tables have turned!

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I kinda wanna get Voice of Cards, but apparently it’s practically an idle game in terms of difficulty.

I do like the idea of having just the one voice actor do everything though, get SungWon Cho on that next time.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Zidane Tribal is best hero.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Apparently some famous Final Fantasy 6 mod from Japan called T-Edition has been translated into English. It's supposed to add a ton of new content to the game without changing the story.

With the FF6 Pixel Remaster up next, I expect Square isn't too happy about that.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to start a new one. I picked up The Last Remnant remake so I might start there

I REALLY should actually play FFXV though soni seeing I bought it at release

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I need to start a new one. I picked up The Last Remnant remake so I might start there

I REALLY should actually play FFXV though soni seeing I bought it at release

Oh god, Last Remnant. I know the remake and updates changed a bunch of core mechanics, but that is one that it very much behooves you to get an actual serious understanding of the way leveling/gaining stats works because it was very easy in the original game to softlock yourself because its internal formulas were AAAALLLLLL the way fucked up and the things the game itself told you to do were a fast track to completely bricking your save file.

Basically, despite it pretending to be random, every character had an internal level that went up fairly normally, but there was also a 'master level' that went up no matter what which both caused enemies to get stronger, and slowed the character level gains because you were already playing at a 'high' level. If you did things like chain battles, or even just fight lots of battles (say, because of the hojillion early side quests and needing to farm crafting materials), your master level would shoot up to the moon while the character internal levels would be like "Man, this dude's crushing it. We need to slow shit down to give him a challenge again." It basically tried to rebalance itself to making regular encounters challenging. And then you run into any of the many major difficulty spikes and you're left with the situation where grinding makes the boss stronger faster than it makes you stronger.

Again, I know remakes changed a bunch of things, but I also know not all were improvements. Like there's some weird thing about screwing major characters up completely if they're put as not-leaders in a unit, which cripples their stat and skill gains, I believe. In the original, you could only have one or two uniques per unit, so a bunch of story characters sat on the bench. Now you get to give them generic's stats.

--

Also, apparently Sophie 2's big twist on the Atelier formula is replacing harvesting, you know, the simple point and grab shit activity you do a thousand times, with mobile style minigames. Oi. And it is most definitely not the Dusk style combat system. Or even Lydie/Lulua. Switching characters is just picking them during someone's turn to use one of their skills right after. Feh.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    IIRC, The Last Remnant’s battle level system was nerfed dramatically in the first PC port. The original 360 version is the one where it’s super easy to screw yourself over.

The battle level isn’t really hidden information, but, as with literally every system present, the game does a very poor job explaining what it actually does.

• Options
    It looks like according to this, the main three changes were that the PC version doesn't lower the drop rate for high Battle Ranking (the 'master' level), doesn't slap you with a huge BR gain multiplier for doing linked battles (causing it to quickly rocket way upward), and DOES scale rare monster stats by BR (not sure if there's a material effect here to be honest).

The system is still designed over the same bad math and assumptions, they just fixed some of the things that go totally nuts.

Also, I just learned that there was a fucked up trick to break out of that kind of softlock in the 360 version. Characters in reserve apparently slowly leveled based on the protagonist. So if the protagonist did a lot of magic shit, they gained magic related exp and skills. Also meaning that if you built him to magic, then every character you didn't use would gradually become a mage. But you could kick out literally everybody and just fight things solo as him, and it would consider that a 'difficult' fight, even against the easiest enemies in the game, and so everybody else besides him would gain at least a small bit of stats while your BR remained essentially unaffected.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Apparently some famous Final Fantasy 6 mod from Japan called T-Edition has been translated into English. It's supposed to add a ton of new content to the game without changing the story.

With the FF6 Pixel Remaster up next, I expect Square isn't too happy about that.

Like, cut content or all fan made?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

Like, cut content or all fan made?

From what I understand, it's a bit of both. They restored stuff like the dialogue Sabin was supposed to have when meeting Gerad and the scene between Strago and Shadow in Thamasa, but they also added a ton of new side quests (like gathering refugees to repopulate Narshe in the WoR).

They recreated the Soul Shrine from the GBA version, but apparently not the Dragon's Den. All the GBA Espers are also in (along with a bunch more) but the methods to get them may be different (ie. Gilgamesh is a recurring character including a Battle on the Bridge before you get him).

They also did a bunch of rebalancing, some to make things smoother (Gau now learns Rages just by facing foes in battle and doesn't need to Leap and it doesn't even need to be on the Veldt, the Veldt is just for if he missed facing one personally) and others were to make things less steam-rolly (ie. Ultima is now harder to get, Fixed Dice are toned down, etc.).

Shame they didn't add in any playable characters, as I would have liked to see Strago's wife Lara get added as a Geomancer or something. She was supposedly in early drafts of the game, but got cut. There was also a whip-using woman that Cyan and Sabin were supposed to meet that supposedly got cut. I guess that'd venture into changing the story instead of adding to it, though. Also may not have been feasible for however they made it.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I've been chugging along in Tales of Arise.

I'm in the back half, I'm pretty sure, and have access to most but not all of the accessory crafting, so I thought I'd make some really good stuff for my team.

1 accessory + 4 accessories for passives x 6 party members = I'm out of gold, and still want to make a few more. Anywhere good to grind?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Depends upon where you are at but there are three basic ways to generate money from what I've seen:

First is putting on anything that gives you more ores (not rare ores, but specfically more ores) and then running around all the maps you've been to so far. This gives you Chunks (Iron, Sliver, Gold, and Platinum) that sell for a bunch of money.

Second is fishing. Any fishing spot will do, but it's better to pick a fishing hole with a Boss Fish as those are worth $3000.

Third is running a loop around the dungeon of whatever boss you're about to face. What you'll get from doing that are mats that you can sell and Dog Tags that work like the Chunks you get from running ores.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm playing Persona 4, which I started back in the day, but didn't get very far because the time limit aspect really turned me off. It still does, but I'm playing it on easy so I don't have to stress out about it as much - but I still feel like I have to grind out every single possible xp I can from a dungeon run before going back out and doing the social stuff.

I have to admit that after Nocturne, TMS, and now this, I'm just not that into SMT combat. There's too many fights for me to really get into any single one as an experience, and they're too brutal and tricky for me to mindlessly grind through. But I do want to finish out the story stuff.

Does Persona 5 have the same time limit stuff?

sig.gif
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    yes. it is just as grindy as the other persona games. and the combat is exactly the same, just way prettier.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've been playing SMTV

I've played Persona 4/5, but this is my first foray into full-on SMT

Not sure I could tell you a single fuckin' character's name in this joint, but I CAN tell you that I got my teeth kicked in by a boss, grumbled, spent fifteen minutes in a variety of menus, went BACK to that boss, and kicked HIS teeth in. And ya know what? That felt pretty good.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I've been playing SMTV

I've played Persona 4/5, but this is my first foray into full-on SMT

Not sure I could tell you a single fuckin' character's name in this joint, but I CAN tell you that I got my teeth kicked in by a boss, grumbled, spent fifteen minutes in a variety of menus, went BACK to that boss, and kicked HIS teeth in. And ya know what? That felt pretty good.

That really is the core appeal of SMT as compared to Persona from a combat perspective, I think. You can have your piles of Personas, but only ever one attached to the main character at one time and the rest of the party have relatively fixed builds. In SMT, the whole party is your canvas, and faced with an enemy who can and will take advantage of any weakness you leave open, your only option is to create a finely-tuned engine to counteract it on every front.

I love how much even the regular encounters turn into puzzles of "how can I make sure the enemy doesn't even get a turn, because if I let that happen there's a real chance I might die". (At least on Hard.)

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    That was always my problem with persona 3 though. Grind through 20 floors of Tartarus then some random enemy gets a turn hits a weakness, crits someone, and game over with like 3 hours lost. That's not fun to me. 15-20 minutes is fine but there's only the warp points at increasingly further apart floors so the grind takes ages.

Honestly I wish there was just a hard pokemon that used doubles as the base instead of singles. But temtem is terrible.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    That was always my problem with persona 3 though. Grind through 20 floors of Tartarus then some random enemy gets a turn hits a weakness, crits someone, and game over with like 3 hours lost. That's not fun to me. 15-20 minutes is fine but there's only the warp points at increasingly further apart floors so the grind takes ages.

Honestly I wish there was just a hard pokemon that used doubles as the base instead of singles. But temtem is terrible.

I found Siralim and it's sequels to be pretty good as far as monster raising battle stuff that has a lot of fiddly bits go. Though it isn't like, gorgeous to look at or anything I suppose.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

To the first paragraph: that's why I prefer a more Dragon Quest style of cruelty where, sure you can get blown up instantly, but the death penalty is losing half your gold and getting thrown back to the inn. "Reset to hard save" systems are kind of hard to justify. (At least in Persona 4 (Golden), you reset to the start of the floor you were just on instead.)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I think P3P changed what happens on death. Or at least I don't remember getting yeeted back several floors.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love Persona but I generally hate when the lead character’s death is game over.

It’s dumb

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hero/Highlander/Nightseeker
    Survivalist/Arcanist

I swear I'm going to finish this one this time. It's the only one I haven't beaten.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I still want to play, "Fabulous gunfu fashion adventure," at some point.

Yall know what I'm talking about right?

• Options

X-2 is a masterpiece

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

Resonance of Fate?

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Both answers are acceptable

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I was thinking of Resonance, but I haven't finished X-2 either so...

• Options
    Resonance of Fate’s combat never clicked with me.

• Options
    edited November 2021

It was okay, but the problem is that what it started out with is the whole shebang. Nothing ever changes or develops in any way at all.

It also had the same issue as Berseria where it was obnoxious as absolute shit to pull back from any kind of bad situation.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

It was one of those weird incidents where I had to force myself to like the gameplay until eventually I actually did.

ArcTangent wrote: »

It was okay, but the problem is that what it started out with is the whole shebang. Nothing ever changes or develops in any way at all.

Well, the absurd amount of crap you end up attaching to your guns certainly does

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If they had actually tried to model it that would be one thing, but it's all just numbers

Combat in that game gets extremely repetitive once you understand the system

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    SMT5's more limited save system is definitely hard to get used to after the SMT4 games, where you could both save anywhere and respawn at the spot you died.

• Options
    I managed to die in SMTV for the first time before I even got to the first abscess. Just a few random enemies, pretas or those early fire guys or something, and I was like "pffft I got this. Oh what's this, the enemies are 'gathering magatsuhi'? Probably nothing to be concerned about."

And then it was crits all around and good night sweet prince. Maybe an hour of gaming time lost (yeah I like to explore). Gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling somehow :D and reminded me to stop messing around and start playing this like a SMT game.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I found it pretty helpful early on to head back to the save spot pretty regularly after any good movement forward. Exploring a new area, think you've reached an abscess or boss? Pop back and save, you can dash run right back to where you were now that you know the way and it's actually pretty quick to get back. Stuff will have mostly not even respawned yet if you've been fighting along the way, and its not too tough to dodge anything that did.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Wait. You can port back to a save spot?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Uh, maybe. At some point.
    Dash running is so quick it'll be like you teleported.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Y'all RoF combat felt like proof of concept.

It was nice but what you're doing in the first hour is pretty much what you're doing in the 40th.

The real game was seeing how many scopes, barrels and magazines you could put on one gun.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    DrCongo wrote: »
    Wait. You can port back to a save spot?

Only after you beat the first boss.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone here tried the Sword Arts Online games? Trying out Fatal Bullet since it involves gunplay and lets you have your character and it's alright so far.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone here tried the Sword Arts Online games? Trying out Fatal Bullet since it involves gunplay and lets you have your character and it's alright so far.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-gallery/

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.