As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving feels like a pointless holiday be gone with it it's just eating

That is traditionally like 90% of holidays

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.insider.com/olympic-horse-punch-modern-pentathlon-chaos-athletes-revolt-rule-changes-2021-11
    Firstly, in official competitions, only 18 horses are provided for 36 athletes. This means each horses must jump twice, which not only places an undue amount of stress on each animal, but also puts the athletes who ride each horse second at a disadvantage.
    "Why is it only 18 horses are provided at a competition where there are 36 athletes?" Murray asked in an interview with Insider earlier in November.

"Often you cross your fingers and hope that the person in that first round rides without any damage, otherwise, you're then managing that going into your round. Why can't they just provide 36 horses so everyone has their own?
    The second issue with the current system of allocating horses is that the task of providing horses for elite competitions is given to the hosts of the events. This means that the quality of the animals provided can vary drastically depending on where in the world athletes are competing.
    Sometimes, this can have disastrous consequences, such as at a World Cup event in Acapulco, Mexico in 2014, where Murray said the horses provided were "limping" and had "open wounds."

"The horses they had sourced were local carting horses," she said.

"They had open wounds, they were limping. The course was very low, but none of the horses could get around it. They had never been schooled in show jumping.

That event was cancelled when athletes boycotted it over horse welfare concerns, though the UIPM never formally acknowledged that as the reason, saying instead it was down to extreme heat at the venue.

That sounds like a clearly awful rule so of course the Olympics refuses to change it

Maybe the horse was a jerk that deserved to be punched, you know?

The modern pentathlon was supposed to exhibit the skills expected of a modern military officer - hence the need to control an unfamiliar horse

Therefore, we should update it to replace horses with tanks

WW2 Harleys and 3 speed go-devil Willys Jeeps from the Korean War

Motorcycles were proposed in the 1970's.
    Which is why it was such a surprise to find that the sport has been going around in circles on this particular argument for a long time. The legendary Jim Fox, who won team gold for Great Britain at Montreal 76, has been an advocate for years. “In my day I argued they should have exchanged the horse for a motorcycle,” Fox told the Guardian in 1992, “but they didn’t like the idea of motorised assistance in the Olympics. Why not a mountain bike?” Back then, the modern pentathlon was under threat from De Coubertin’s successor Juan Antonio Samaranch, who wanted to replace it with a sport people actually take part in, such as golf or tennis.
    They already shrunk the pentathlon from a four to five day event to a one day even in 1996

We need a modern pentathlon for modern times

LoL, Call of Duty, Minecraft, Fortnight, and FIFA.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2021
    Picard fucking rocked

If Picard rocks then why does he play country

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

AHAP

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    https://www.insider.com/olympic-horse-punch-modern-pentathlon-chaos-athletes-revolt-rule-changes-2021-11
    Firstly, in official competitions, only 18 horses are provided for 36 athletes. This means each horses must jump twice, which not only places an undue amount of stress on each animal, but also puts the athletes who ride each horse second at a disadvantage.
    "Why is it only 18 horses are provided at a competition where there are 36 athletes?" Murray asked in an interview with Insider earlier in November.

"Often you cross your fingers and hope that the person in that first round rides without any damage, otherwise, you're then managing that going into your round. Why can't they just provide 36 horses so everyone has their own?
    The second issue with the current system of allocating horses is that the task of providing horses for elite competitions is given to the hosts of the events. This means that the quality of the animals provided can vary drastically depending on where in the world athletes are competing.
    Sometimes, this can have disastrous consequences, such as at a World Cup event in Acapulco, Mexico in 2014, where Murray said the horses provided were "limping" and had "open wounds."

"The horses they had sourced were local carting horses," she said.

"They had open wounds, they were limping. The course was very low, but none of the horses could get around it. They had never been schooled in show jumping.

That event was cancelled when athletes boycotted it over horse welfare concerns, though the UIPM never formally acknowledged that as the reason, saying instead it was down to extreme heat at the venue.

That sounds like a clearly awful rule so of course the Olympics refuses to change it

Maybe the horse was a jerk that deserved to be punched, you know?

The modern pentathlon was supposed to exhibit the skills expected of a modern military officer - hence the need to control an unfamiliar horse

Therefore, we should update it to replace horses with tanks

WW2 Harleys and 3 speed go-devil Willys Jeeps from the Korean War

Motorcycles were proposed in the 1970's.
    Which is why it was such a surprise to find that the sport has been going around in circles on this particular argument for a long time. The legendary Jim Fox, who won team gold for Great Britain at Montreal 76, has been an advocate for years. “In my day I argued they should have exchanged the horse for a motorcycle,” Fox told the Guardian in 1992, “but they didn’t like the idea of motorised assistance in the Olympics. Why not a mountain bike?” Back then, the modern pentathlon was under threat from De Coubertin’s successor Juan Antonio Samaranch, who wanted to replace it with a sport people actually take part in, such as golf or tennis.
    They already shrunk the pentathlon from a four to five day event to a one day even in 1996

We need a modern pentathlon for modern times

LoL, Call of Duty, Minecraft, Fortnight, and FIFA.

I mean that's just the Omegathon every year, we've got that

are YOU on the beer list?
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Damn that's cool.

I think it would be neat to have like a "survive the apocalypse" olympic decathlon where it's like everyone get to a spot where they've got a busted 4x4 and a pile of parts and some tools with a generator.

It's a five day event or a ten day event and they have to find water and food and shit.

Russia would absolutely own us

OK, but then it would just turn into a death game when everybody realizes it would be cooler as a death game

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I think more than 10 eggs worth so 20 halves is just absurd

not to mention the monster farts that will follow

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Picard fucking rocked

Picard plays hipster flute, thank you very much.

Which rocks in Star Trek world.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Its weird that Thanksgiving is this week

be weirder if it weren't

Well, no, because Thanksgiving is in October.

Damn that's cool.

I think it would be neat to have like a "survive the apocalypse" olympic decathlon where it's like everyone get to a spot where they've got a busted 4x4 and a pile of parts and some tools with a generator.

It's a five day event or a ten day event and they have to find water and food and shit.

Russia would absolutely own us

OK, but then it would just turn into a death game when everybody realizes it would be cooler as a death game

True.

What about genetic clones of people that each country votes for? Then it doesn't matter unless like Hitler2 gets loose

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

be weirder if it weren't

back north of the wall with you

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Nova_C wrote: »

be weirder if it weren't

Did we sell Alaska to Canada and no one told me?

Picard fucking rocked

Picard plays hipster flute, thank you very much.

Which rocks in Star Trek world.

Hmm flute rocks it is true

I concede

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    What's an obscene number of deviled eggs to eat in one earth day?

Greater than a dozen.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread

You'll now be visited by the ghost of Thanksgiving Past

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I like having a fall harvest holiday that's before winter really starts grasping at our throats

But maybe it could be sexier...?

Tumin on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    What? Turkey breast isn't sexy enough for you?

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Just finished Shang Chi
    It was very good
    Perhaps top 5 marvel films

Bless your heart.

Who's ready for Thanksgiving stuffing?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    JebusUD wrote: »

I’ve been waiting all year for it!

Orca wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »

I’ve been waiting all year for it!

That's a lot of buildup.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have made cranberry sauce a few years running and still sometimes I think I’d prefer canned

I think that while I enjoy controlling the texture and adding cinnamon, orange, whatever other experimentation- I just really like the basic flavor of cranberry + sugar

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wonder if Ernie Hudson gets much work. He is probably the one that is the happiest to ride the Ghostbusters wave.

Edit: It looks like he has been in a good amount of stuff.

Yeah Hudson is in a lot, he's had a good career, he just also really fucking loved Ghostbusters and the fact that he'll still go to conventions and dress up like Winston and take pictures with people is awesome. I've got one of him and my dad from a con in Birmingham and my Dad talked to him for like 10 minutes about his heel role in The Substitute

Ernie could still quote the "power perceived is power achieved" line.

Good dude A+ on the beer list.

Not to mention he had a 7 year stint on Oz.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Shang Chi is notable for being a Marvel film with actual choreography

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I have made cranberry sauce a few years running and still sometimes I think I’d prefer canned

I think that while I enjoy controlling the texture and adding cinnamon, orange, whatever other experimentation- I just really like the basic flavor of cranberry + sugar

If you wanted an ingredient upgrade but you just like cranberry+sugar, I wonder if they make a jarred cranberry jam or preserves, like lingonberry jam

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Winky wrote: »

The stun blades were kinda dumb but boy oh boy was the fight choreography fuckin' sweet.

Geth roll 1d4 for what should AH cook tonight

1 - Chicken Tikka Masala with squash and zucchini over rice
    2 - Impossible burgers on low carb wheat bread with homemade pickles, served with sweet potato fries and a salad
    3 - Tacos on low carb tortillas or use those to make chips for Nachos
    4 - Chicken noodle soup with a grilled cheese sandwich using Tillamook white extra sharp cheddar

what should AH:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

Geth roll 1d4 for what should AH cook tonight

1 - Chicken Tikka Masala with squash and zucchini over rice
    2 - Impossible burgers on low carb wheat bread with homemade pickles, served with sweet potato fries and a salad
    3 - Tacos on low carb tortillas or use those to make chips for Nachos
    4 - Chicken noodle soup with a grilled cheese sandwich using Tillamook white extra sharp cheddar

AH should eat tonight a cold package of hotdogs

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The plot was dumb but I did say it was a Marvel movie

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

Shang Chi has ... well, its a spoiler but its the most important thing to have

shang chi shpoilerth
    dragons

What about Black Swan?

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

canned cranberry sauce has its own particular flavor that I find really appealing

I also like eating people's homemade sauces but it's almost a different dish

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i don't even consider homemade and canned to be the same thing

like you can't really substitute one for the other

Allegedly a voice of reason.

What about Black Swan?

A really bizarre addition to the Avengers for sure

The can ridge imprint on the cranberry cylinder is incredibly important

What about Black Swan?

A really bizarre addition to the Avengers for sure

I feel like Jane is doing much better by the time she gets her PhD

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It's either Thanksgiving or two months of Christmas

It's either Thanksgiving or two months of Christmas

Holidays all about eating are exactly what I want from holidays so I feel like Thanksgiving is the platonic ideal of a holiday

4 day weekend, eat until you want to puke, have a drunken fight with the relatives and then sleep it off

what's not to like

This discussion has been closed.