As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    joshgotro wrote: »
    What's an obscene number of deviled eggs to eat in one earth day?

...A dozen? A dozen and a half?

Like that's 6 and 9 since a "Deviled egg" is just one half of the white and yolk, right?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    4 day weekend?

er

right, yeah, of course we get time off

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I mean Gaston ate t w o d o z e n e g g s but that was before we pulled the yolks and mixed mayonnaise into them

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    science has done it

it has attacked and dethroned god

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Can god make a protein he cannot recognize?

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Has mankind invented a protein transcription so tedious that God himself can't be bothered?

Hot burrito technology really losing this race

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    these dudes really think god be looking down from His kingdom and scratching his head being like fuck, man, i don't know how these proteins fold

isn't he supposed to be omniscient in their theology

pick one, dumbasses

wouldn't a lack of faith in god's all knowingness represent....heresy

Orphane on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving feels like a pointless holiday be gone with it it's just eating

It's either Thanksgiving or two months of Christmas

*looks down the street at night at any point in the last two weeks*

I have bad news for you

yet you participate in Thanksgiving

curious

I am very intelligent

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Maybe it's because of the caption, but there's something very Gallic about that cat

I can imagine it helping Asterix defeat the Romans

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Most canned cranberry sauces are just cranberries, hfcs / sugar, and water. There's plenty of pectin in the berries so no supplementary gelling agents need to be added. The acidity of the berries makes additional preservatives unnecessary. This isn't just the fancy ones, it's pretty much all of them. Oceanspray, store brand, etc. Cranberries aren't very expensive and they have a strong characterizing flavor that doesn't dilute easily. You just target a level of sweetness people will enjoy and you're done.

In short, there's nothing canned cranberry sauce makers really can do wrong without actually increasing cost to fuck it up on purpose. Idk, like chu I think it can be fun to spice it how you like or watch the berries split and release their juices into the pot as it cooks, but there's simply not a compelling difference between what you'd make at home and what comes in a can to justify feeling any particular way about it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    yet you participate in Thanksgiving

curious

I am very intelligent

I get free food at my parents' place

Of course I participate in Thanksgiving

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    if i could pick a career path in a new life maybe i'd be that guy who tries to homemake everything in the world and then tell the masses on the internet what is and isn't worth the effort

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    if i could pick a career path in a new life maybe i'd be that guy who tries to homemake everything in the world and then tell the masses on the internet what is and isn't worth the effort

But what if I'm lazy and so not willing to put as much effort in as you

actually on second thought, people are fanatical about their foods and incredibly nonscientific and i'd probably get death threats so nevermind

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I’ve got Chinese food on the way. Thanks door dash.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Most canned cranberry sauces are just cranberries, hfcs / sugar, and water. There's plenty of pectin in the berries so no supplementary gelling agents need to be added. The acidity of the berries makes additional preservatives unnecessary. This isn't just the fancy ones, it's pretty much all of them. Oceanspray, store brand, etc. Cranberries aren't very expensive and they have a strong characterizing flavor that doesn't dilute easily. You just target a level of sweetness people will enjoy and you're done.

In short, there's nothing canned cranberry sauce makers really can do wrong without actually increasing cost to fuck it up on purpose. Idk, like chu I think it can be fun to spice it how you like or watch the berries split and release their juices into the pot as it cooks, but there's simply not a compelling difference between what you'd make at home and what comes in a can to justify feeling any particular way about it.

What about m o u t h f e e l?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    if you use canned cranberry sauce and it's the depulped, clear jelly one, it has to be served molded into the shape of a can

I dont make the rules you just have to

if you've made your own at home, please reserve a can for the purposes of molding it before serving

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

you'd be Donkey Kong?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    actually on second thought, people are fanatical about their foods and incredibly nonscientific and i'd probably get death threats so nevermind

do it anyway

piss them off

homemade cake isn't as good as the box stuff for fluffyness

I would 100% quit my job and dedicate my life to scoring foods by how much it's worth making them yourself if that job paid any reasonable amount of money

Totes worth a 7 dollar tip and dash pass to not go anywhere.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    We need a word between absurd and obscene.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

This targeted advertising is getting awfully aggressive

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Now starting black widow
    The opening credits are at least A+

Bless your heart.
    edited November 2021
    Orca wrote: »

the goal wouldn't be to necessarily change your behaviors- just to impart knowledge. i hate urban legends and superstitious rumors around food. some people say 'never do this, it'll make it runny/tough/dry' and they've never tested that. it's just inherited knowledge which they take as gospel. or they'll do this extra step- always brown this, make sure you give these ingredients 10 minutes to get to know each other in the pot, whatever. and probably the broadest, most high level bromide is- 'of course, if you have the time/energy/money, homemade is always better. but it's acceptable to...'

and i just think that's trivially false. there are a huge number of foods where it genuinely is not better to do it homemade. but even if i convinced you of that, it wouldn't necessarily change the way you cook. i just like the idea of the knowledge being out there, competing with all the wive's tales.

Organichu on
    We need a word between absurd and obscene.

abscene?

Tumin wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

This targeted advertising is getting awfully aggressive
    The AI knows you want a quart of wonton soup, some Rangoon mother and a couple of egg rolls delivered to your house.

Iist the foods chu

Chanus wrote: »

you'd be Donkey Kong?

i'm nicer than DK. i talk to the customers so the engineers don't have to. i'm a people person, goddamnit.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Iist the foods chu

all of them

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Orca wrote: »

the goal wouldn't be to necessarily change your behaviors- just to impart knowledge. i hate urban legends and superstitious rumors around food. some people say 'never do this, it'll make it runny/tough/dry and they've never tested that. it's just inherited knowledge which they take as gospel. or they'll do this extra step- always brown this, make sure you give these ingredients 10 minutes to get to know each other in the pot, whatever. and probably the broadest, most high level bromide is- 'of course, if you have the time/energy/money, homemade is always better. but it's acceptable to...'

and i just think that's trivially false. there are a huge number of foods where it genuinely is not better to do it homemade. but even if i convinced you of that, it wouldn't necessarily change the way you cook. i just like the idea of the knowledge being out there, competing with all the wive's tales.

Honestly I feel like America's Test Kitchen is about halfway there with their deconstructions of exactly how and why certain steps are needed, and where you can cut corners.

edited November 2021
    Iist the foods chu

as a job, i said. if you're good at something, never do it for free.

i'll start a patreon.

Organichu on
    Iist the foods chu

as a job, i said. if you're good at something, never do it for me.

i'll start a patreon.

You got it Chu

I'll never do a job for you

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Iist the foods chu

if you're good at something, never do it for me.

okay

Iist the foods chu

as a job, i said. if you're good at something, never do it for me.

i'll start a patreon.

That's the worst way to get my money.

Making soda syrups at home is a fool's errand for example. The precision involved and the amount of science that has gone into emulsifying oil based flavors into a water based syrup is just something you'll never realistically accomplish in your home kitchen. It's not going to happen. Plus the ingredients involved have to be fresh and the process works overwhelmingly better at commercial scale.

That said the fact that coke refuses to sell syrup to homes, and instead insists on bottling their product with water into wasteful, single-use containers is just like, some high bullshit. One of the poster children for how capitalism has utterly failed to capture external costs of manufacturing and we're going to destroy our entire planet because of it.

This discussion has been closed.