As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    if i could pick a career path in a new life maybe i'd be that guy who tries to homemake everything in the world and then tell the masses on the internet what is and isn't worth the effort

But what if I'm lazy and so not willing to put as much effort in as you

the goal wouldn't be to necessarily change your behaviors- just to impart knowledge. i hate urban legends and superstitious rumors around food. some people say 'never do this, it'll make it runny/tough/dry and they've never tested that. it's just inherited knowledge which they take as gospel. or they'll do this extra step- always brown this, make sure you give these ingredients 10 minutes to get to know each other in the pot, whatever. and probably the broadest, most high level bromide is- 'of course, if you have the time/energy/money, homemade is always better. but it's acceptable to...'

and i just think that's trivially false. there are a huge number of foods where it genuinely is not better to do it homemade. but even if i convinced you of that, it wouldn't necessarily change the way you cook. i just like the idea of the knowledge being out there, competing with all the wive's tales.

Honestly I feel like America's Test Kitchen is about halfway there with their deconstructions of exactly how and why certain steps are needed, and where you can cut corners.

I miss the BA cast when they were still on BA. I know the company sucks and I'm glad they've been successful moving on, but I really liked some of their blind challenges and experiments

are YOU on the beer list?
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Maybe I should defeat capitalism by becoming one of those guys who spends 10 hours making homemade shampoo to save 15 cents

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    if i could pick a career path in a new life maybe i'd be that guy who tries to homemake everything in the world and then tell the masses on the internet what is and isn't worth the effort

the goal wouldn't be to necessarily change your behaviors- just to impart knowledge. i hate urban legends and superstitious rumors around food. some people say 'never do this, it'll make it runny/tough/dry and they've never tested that. it's just inherited knowledge which they take as gospel. or they'll do this extra step- always brown this, make sure you give these ingredients 10 minutes to get to know each other in the pot, whatever. and probably the broadest, most high level bromide is- 'of course, if you have the time/energy/money, homemade is always better. but it's acceptable to...'

and i just think that's trivially false. there are a huge number of foods where it genuinely is not better to do it homemade. but even if i convinced you of that, it wouldn't necessarily change the way you cook. i just like the idea of the knowledge being out there, competing with all the wive's tales.

Honestly I feel like America's Test Kitchen is about halfway there with their deconstructions of exactly how and why certain steps are needed, and where you can cut corners.

I miss the BA cast when they were still on BA. I know the company sucks and I'm glad they've been successful moving on, but I really liked some of their blind challenges and experiments

BA?

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    If you want to know a reasonable basic version of a dish just go find the NYT Cooking article that every blogger copied and which didn't need to add 10 random ingredients to make it trendy or whatever

If they don't have one, it's a big waste of time

Also you have to determine which bloggers are money grabbing trend followers and which are accessible writers for home cooks and which are just selling books

Tumin on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Illustrated, Adam Ragusea, and various other youtubes are some of my favorites and I've learned so much from them.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Making soda syrups at home is a fool's errand for example. The precision involved and the amount of science that has gone into emulsifying oil based flavors into a water based syrup is just something you'll never realistically accomplish in your home kitchen. It's not going to happen. Plus the ingredients involved have to be fresh and the process works overwhelmingly better at commercial scale.

That said the fact that coke refuses to sell syrup to homes, and instead insists on bottling their product with water into wasteful, single-use containers is just like, some high bullshit. One of the poster children for how capitalism has utterly failed to capture external costs of manufacturing and we're going to destroy our entire planet because of it.

I had pretty good luck making spruce syrup and mixing it with soda water, which is nice since buying it is very costly.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    [chat] I've got a 100-400mm lens that's supposed to be shipped out in like...3 weeks but I need it now

now

Someone steal that thing off the boat and send it to me please and thank you

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    [chat] I've got a 100-400mm lens that's supposed to be shipped out in like...3 weeks but I need it now

now

it's probably like container ship 38 anchored half a mile from long beach port. if i am super athletic maybe i can jump from ship to ship to get there for you

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Maybe I should defeat capitalism by becoming one of those guys who spends 10 hours making homemade shampoo to save 15 cents

i love r/frugal because it’s either someone saying “hey guys how do I make a budget?” or it’s someone saying “I save money by melting all the old slivers of soap into a scented frankensteins monster and not counting the medical bills for the burns I’m up 2 dollars a year”

now

it's probably like container ship 38 anchored half a mile from long beach port. if i am super athletic maybe i can jump from ship to ship to get there for you

The funny thing is, you're probably exactly correct

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

now

i could do this

JebusUD wrote: »
    Making soda syrups at home is a fool's errand for example. The precision involved and the amount of science that has gone into emulsifying oil based flavors into a water based syrup is just something you'll never realistically accomplish in your home kitchen. It's not going to happen. Plus the ingredients involved have to be fresh and the process works overwhelmingly better at commercial scale.

That said the fact that coke refuses to sell syrup to homes, and instead insists on bottling their product with water into wasteful, single-use containers is just like, some high bullshit. One of the poster children for how capitalism has utterly failed to capture external costs of manufacturing and we're going to destroy our entire planet because of it.

I had pretty good luck making spruce syrup and mixing it with soda water, which is nice since buying it is very costly.

spruce beer is delicious

why is that shit not available commercially?

BA?

bon appetit. super well loved social media empire (and also physical magazine but no one cared about that) of a number of cooks doing different shows. its editor in chief got fired and canceled when it was revealed he did a very racially insensitive halloween costume (as an adult, not in his tweens or whatever). after that, a huge stink was made about inequitable compensation for different content creators, with the allegation that it was often disadvantaged towards PoC. there was a lot of agitating for change and then a huge number of people left the company. only a small handful of the original cast remains and its popularity is a tiny shadow of what it used to be.

tyrannus wrote: »

now

i could do this

tyrannus I have a job for you

BA?

bon appetit. super well loved social media empire (and also physical magazine but no one cared about that) of a number of cooks doing different shows. its editor in chief got fired and canceled when it was revealed he did a very racially insensitive halloween costume (as an adult, not in his tweens or whatever). after that, a huge stink was made about inequitable compensation for different content creators, with the allegation that it was often disadvantaged towards PoC. there was a lot of agitating for change and then a huge number of people left the company. only a small handful of the original cast remains and its popularity is a tiny shadow of what it used to be.

ahhhh.

Well that sucks but also good on those folks for getting the F out

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Back in the 2008/2009 era there was a show called exstream cheapskates about frugal people.

Turns out a dude I played GoW with and worked with was in an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYA4tVYh4Y

Tav wrote: »

i love r/frugal because it’s either someone saying “hey guys how do I make a budget?” or it’s someone saying “I save money by melting all the old slivers of soap into a scented frankensteins monster and not counting the medical bills for the burns I’m up 2 dollars a year”

DAE dry and reuse squares of toilet paper

Tav wrote: »

DAE dry and reuse squares of toilet paper

🤢🤮

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

The simple ones tend to come out pretty good. The bigger problem is if you're trying to make a cola or something.

I wonder why spruce syrup is so costly. I guess just scale and market.

a lot of people (re: me) are extremely particular about the carbonation level of their soft drinks. i have to figure that would be a big hurdle in accurately reproducing national brands, too.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    fwiw conde nast is still shit but bon appetit made a pretty big effort to reform and i'd defy you to even find a white person working there now

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    I wonder how long until my bidet (a) pays for itself and (b) becomes carbon positive.

Sure it's fine being a bidet stan on hygiene and quality of life grounds but could I also be insufferably righteous about it too 🤔

also mcdonald's coke and sprite is king, all these other fast food places are shit from a butt

same with taco bell's mountain dew

a lot of people (re: me) are extremely particular about the carbonation level of their soft drinks. i have to figure that would be a big hurdle in accurately reproducing national brands, too.

My soda stream makes these loud pressure gasket fart noises and one fart is san pellegrino, two is coke zero, three is polar seltzer, and 4+ is challenging to drink because it burns all the way down and you can't stop burping.

Chanus wrote: »
    fwiw conde nast is still shit but bon appetit made a pretty big effort to reform and i'd defy you to even find a white person working there now

the only two stars left are- brad and chris, right? i haven't really followed the shows lately but it seems like everyone else left (including all the women)

spruce beer is delicious

why is that shit not available commercially?

I hear there is one spruce soda manufacturer in Quebec. Otherwise I think the flavor is just niche or unknown enough that it isn't in demand.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Currently modifying my DNA to hide myself from God

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

the goal wouldn't be to necessarily change your behaviors- just to impart knowledge. i hate urban legends and superstitious rumors around food. some people say 'never do this, it'll make it runny/tough/dry' and they've never tested that. it's just inherited knowledge which they take as gospel. or they'll do this extra step- always brown this, make sure you give these ingredients 10 minutes to get to know each other in the pot, whatever. and probably the broadest, most high level bromide is- 'of course, if you have the time/energy/money, homemade is always better. but it's acceptable to...'

There are books like that out there, it's just not the popular cookbooks that sell. But like in culinary school we did a whole lot of learning about what actually happens to food as it gets prepared, how flavors are tasted, that sorta thing, and a lot of that was ain ol textbooks.

Baking is particularly good at it, since you cant just improv a baking recipe, you gotta understand the chemistry of what's going on for you to reliably make changes in your recipe.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    also mcdonald's coke and sprite is king, all these other fast food places are shit from a butt

truth

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

the only two stars left are- brad and chris, right? i haven't really followed the shows lately but it seems like everyone else left (including all the women)

yeah i think just about everybody from before left

i only mean they've made the effort to not have the problems they had before

edited November 2021
    there were a few bad experiences i had financially as a kid that have really affected my financial mindset growing up. things like- rough, thin toilet paper where you'd end up shoving a fingertip through the paper, and scrounging through couch cushions to put a dollar eighty three in the gas tank, or sweating terribly in the summer to save on electric.

anyway i am now a relatively frugal person (bankruptcy didn't hurt this part of my character development!)

but i will budget aggressively in other areas in order to afford:

1) decent quality personal care items like TP, skin products etc
    2) always being able to fill up my tank, never worrying about running out of gas
    3) being comfortable, climatically

Organichu on
    mcdonald's has special coke but i don't really agree it's better. it just tastes like that general mcdonald's malaise everything they have tastes like

edited November 2021

The simple ones tend to come out pretty good. The bigger problem is if you're trying to make a cola or something.

I wonder why spruce syrup is so costly. I guess just scale and market.

I would definitely never try to recreate Dr. Pepper or Pepsi or whatever.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Coke made a dispenser called the "Breakmate". We had one at the bed & breakfast I worked for in high school.

Wekl7OY.jpg?1

Standard CO2 bottle hookup, it had 1 litre boxes of syrup. It was great, it dispensed a 6.5 ounce serving, it was easy to swap cylinders and clean, but Coke positioned it as a commercial product for things like office breakrooms and it bombed. They killed it in 2007 and quit making parts or the syrup boxes for it in 2010.

nibXTE7.png
    mcdonald's has special coke but i don't really agree it's better. it just tastes like that general mcdonald's malaise everything they have tastes like

this is the scene in a drama where i feel us drifting apart and i feel powerless to stop it

this is the scene in a drama where i feel us drifting apart and i feel powerless to stop it

i mean i already prefer diet to sugar drinks anyway

our differences are what bring us together

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

It’s because McDonald’s pays extra to have their syrup in a metal container which they chill along with the water (filtered) and their system accounts for the ice melt. They also use slightly wider straws for Better carbonation to hit your tongue. And it’s like that for all of their sodas. Food scientists at McDonald’s spent a lot of time making their sodas taste better.

Brad Leone.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    shang-chi time i guess

I've passed up on like a dozen old coke/dr pepper machines over the years (nothing like super valuable, just relics) and I want one for the ranch but they're such power hogs.

I need to figure out a way to keep sodas in the root cellar or find a way to power a 1960s vending machine on solar

This discussion has been closed.