As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I never was much of a Halo person. Most I played was some Halo 3 MP back when I worked deep sea cause we had a wireless network on board so we'd do lunch time Halo matches.

That said, I'm giving Infinite a whirl because it's free so why not and while it's not my preferred flavor of high speed UT/Quake idiocy, it's just a really, really comfy game. It's not particularly fast so I don't have to be even remotely sweaty, the non-standard gun pickups are kinda weird but that just makes it fun to pull the trigger and see what happens and you never feel hosed with your trusty pistol and rifle so it's not a huge deal if you don't get a pick up. The lower TTK means you aren't frequently instagibbed and have time to fight it out even if it is a losing fight, and the maps are so far all winners which is doing a lot to help my experience out. I haven't run into one that was meh or bad. This game is just easy to just jump in with little to no experience in this game/series and just vibe and shoot mans and not really care either way how I'm doing as long as I'm having fun.

Splitgate I fucking adore but that's definitely a bit more of a pay attention sort of game so it's nice having Infinite for empty head no thoughts and Splitgate for when I want a bit more of a challenge.
    Though Splitgate's weird ass casual modes are still fucking hilarious and I wish more games just had a "get drunk as fuck and go wheeeeeeeee" play list like that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Got a handful of matches in so far. It feels good and I’m excited to play more. It does make me miss playing Destiny though.

Still working through placement matches. Both queues seem real sweaty and my ability to hold my own in each one seems similar so far. I hope in the near future I can disable/enable certain playlists. CTF and griffball are just not things I want to play when I’m solo. And where the hell is swat or team snipers/shotties?!

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I never was much of a Halo person. Most I played was some Halo 3 MP back when I worked deep sea cause we had a wireless network on board so we'd do lunch time Halo matches.

That said, I'm giving Infinite a whirl because it's free so why not and while it's not my preferred flavor of high speed UT/Quake idiocy, it's just a really, really comfy game. It's not particularly fast so I don't have to be even remotely sweaty, the non-standard gun pickups are kinda weird but that just makes it fun to pull the trigger and see what happens and you never feel hosed with your trusty pistol and rifle so it's not a huge deal if you don't get a pick up. The lower TTK means you aren't frequently instagibbed and have time to fight it out even if it is a losing fight, and the maps are so far all winners which is doing a lot to help my experience out. I haven't run into one that was meh or bad. This game is just easy to just jump in with little to no experience in this game/series and just vibe and shoot mans and not really care either way how I'm doing as long as I'm having fun.

Splitgate I fucking adore but that's definitely a bit more of a pay attention sort of game so it's nice having Infinite for empty head no thoughts and Splitgate for when I want a bit more of a challenge.
    Though Splitgate's weird ass casual modes are still fucking hilarious and I wish more games just had a "get drunk as fuck and go wheeeeeeeee" play list like that.

Halo was the king of just goof off modes. You’ll se more of it when forge is released. But I’m pretty sure they had some official silly playlists back in the day

But yeah if getting drunk and playing silly modes is your jam you’ll love forge when it’s out

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I played all of my ranked placement matches and came to the conclusion that I don't care for ranked. Not a big surprise since I've never cared for ranked in any previous Halo game.

I'm all about Big Team Battle and silly gametypes.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm about to hit level 8, and I'm going to say that while I am having fun, I am so effing confused half the time, and have too many keys to deal with at the same time, so they need to improve at least the first one if I'm going to stick around. My main experience was in Halo 4, and it was much, much easier to figure out WTF was going on.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Wow, won a ranked slayer game 49-48, bit of a rush.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Doing ranked for the first time to get the final "win 3 ranked games" challenge of the week done.

Fist game, we started with only 3 on our team and no one ever got matched in.

Second game someone on our team dropped immediately.

So this is going great so far.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Placements done and I got slotted into plat 3. I’m pretty sure my last couple games had me in a diamond+ lobby. You know, the kind of game that finishes and you just feel like you have no business playing this game.

Still not thrilled about all the CTF and oddball games I’ve had to play. Don’t have a good feel for stronghold yet. Maps seem a bit small for it, maybe? Being able to shoot into point B while standing on A seems weird.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I don't like the battle rifle so having that as the default in ranked is not my cup of tea.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I am adapting to the battle rifle in ranked but I tell you nothing beats my murder pistol and I go for it every time I see it in a dispenser

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't like the battle rifle so having that as the default in ranked is not my cup of tea.

I just started playing ranked games today, and I was about to come mention this same thing. It’s especially weird since every other non-ranked game mode starts you with the assault rifle, at least from everything I’ve seen so far.

I don’t hate the battle rifle or anything, it’s very good for certain situations. But it would be nice if we had like one or two other options we could choose to start with.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    BR starts is a thing because it’s a legacy thing from pro play. I don’t know how the gun meta will end up in Infinite though.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Have a weekly to do 3 slayer matches, no win, just play Played for like an hour and a half only got one slayer match. WHYYYYYYY

On top of needing 3 oddball wins and everyone I play oddball with seems to think its slayer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Ok, not only can you slot seeds into the razorback, you can put a flag back there too!!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    So everyone is getting this week's Ultimate weekly award because of solid pr reasons, but is that something that you can miss out on in future weeks? Like if you don't get all the challenges done for a particular week, is there was to get said unlock in the future?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I might have been premature thinking I could run this on a 3GB 1060, CTD when it tries to load a big team battle. Ah well.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I might have been premature thinking I could run this on a 3GB 1060, CTD when it tries to load a big team battle. Ah well.
    It looked like the video settings section tells you how much memory you need for your selected settings so you might be able to fiddle it down to less than 3Gb. I'm pretty sure nearly everything on low was still 4ish, though, so you might be out of luck.

I also don't really know what I'm talking about, I might be all wrong.

• Options
    I wonder what the chances are this will play nicely with the upcoming Steam Deck…

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Ok, not only can you slot seeds into the razorback, you can put a flag back there too!!

Vehicles are often the key to a lot of games. Pity like half of the player base completely ignores them.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I’m On a 6 gb 1060 and while it loads up fine I get drops to sub 30 FPS regularly on 1080p all low and essentially have to use dynamic resolution scaling to get it to 720p to maintain a decent FPS its…not a good experience.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I had previously successfully loaded and played the tutorial map on my 3 GB 1060, and it wasn't even running poorly (I'm not very sensitive to 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS) or looking shitty and was actually at 1080p, that might not have been indicative of real match maps though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    So mad I got a back attack on a dude with overshield but it didn't count for the weekly for a back attack? Man screw you!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Damn, that's the same card I've got - was hoping I'd be able to wrangle it somehow.
    I've actually been playing it on my Xbox One S and it's surprisingly... playable.

Obviously it doesn't look as nice as the 'Series' versions (and it runs at around 30fps), but it actually feels like old Halo in that way.
    60 fps would be much preferred, but if I stop thinking about the framerate it's not bad :P

I'm now tempted to sign up for Game Pass and try it via cloud streaming to approximate a 'Series S' experience.

hemmelight on
  • Options
    I actually finished the weekly quests! Go me!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man I REALLY dont like Fragmentation or Deadlock

Hightower is a blast always though, but man they need to bring back the greatest hits of BTB sized maps. These three do not cut it and I think it was insane to launch with only three.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Man I REALLY dont like Fragmentation or Deadlock

Hightower is a blast always though, but man they need to bring back the greatest hits of BTB sized maps. These three do not cut it and I think it was insane to launch with only three.

EDIT: One big gripe, you cant put the HCS team paints on the armor model the battle pass uses, Im giving you $10 lemme do what I want.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Things I don't like about Halo Infinite continue: I hate that I don't get to choose a loadout for quickplay or whatever

I mean turn it off for ranked if you want, even though that's already just the DMR. But just for unranked, I'd like to start with a weapon I favor, as opposed to hoping I stumble across it in the level and maybe getting a kill with it before I die

This is part of the battle pass problem, too! It completely kills any progression I might be making beyond the most basic "play a game" daily thing! I've got three challenges right now for weapons I have rarely even held, let alone gotten a kill with. Like guys I barely even know how the Repulsor or Hydra works, and you're asking me to go find them in every map and then figure out how to get a kill? Nope, sorry, can't do it

I imagine that custom game types will alleviate some of this at some point, but right now it's just frustrating

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    new Halo game means it's finally time for a new Halo Mythbusters (just skip past the first myth it's literally shown in the trailer lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ypFKllXug

Vault Doors are fucked and can do some hilarious things

• Options
    That weapon switching one was crazy too. Not sure how much practical use it would have, but the fact that the game’s physics work that way mechanically to allow that to happen is pretty nutty.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping they make weeklies unlimited, I ran out 2 days ago and trying to lvl with just the 50exp per match is slowwwww.

It's funny we have a group of 4 of us, and two of us just can't get BF2042 working, the other 2 want to wait for Halo's weekly reset so we're back into Forza. At least there are lots of games to go around.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I'm hoping they make weeklies unlimited, I ran out 2 days ago and trying to lvl with just the 50exp per match is slowwwww.

It's funny we have a group of 4 of us, and two of us just can't get BF2042 working, the other 2 want to wait for Halo's weekly reset so we're back into Forza. At least there are lots of games to go around.

Having unlimited challenges and making the weekly goal be "complete this many of them" would be an awesome change, in my opinion.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

Having unlimited challenges and making the weekly goal be "complete this many of them" would be an awesome change, in my opinion.

Yeah like after I "finished" my weeklies I had no reason to play last night.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I mean, I couldn't care less about my weeklies and am just having fun playing

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Right now I don't feel like there's enough variety in the gametypes or maps to keep me interested.

It's still in "beta" so we'll see what the offerings look like in the full release. If big updates only happen on a seasonal cadence, well... season 2 is a long time away.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Right now I don't feel like there's enough variety in the gametypes or maps to keep me interested.

It's still in "beta" so we'll see what the offerings look like in the full release. If big updates only happen on a seasonal cadence, well... season 2 is a long time away.

I figured more maps would drop on the 8th with the full release, but maybe that was wishful thinking? This can't be all the maps at launch.... Right???

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah I have fun when playing with friends but playing solo there isn't much drive.

I think playing so many shooters that have a more generous unlock drip makes it harder to play a game that doesn't. It's unfortunate but it's definitely a thing.

From that one leak as well it looks like there isn't any armor unlocks from campaign which is unfortunate. Hopefully that changes, the starting armor options are basically non existent.

It's weird as well that paint schemes are locked to armor types.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I do kind of like "finishing" the weeklies though. As someone currently playing 4+ games on the reg and doing something in all of them, I don't mind finishing one for the week.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Infinite has 12 maps, H3 had 11 at launch, so I’m feeling comfy with the number.

It’s so nice playing Halo again. Infinite multi fits me like a glove; fights are so much more dynamic and interesting thanks to the higher TtK, with smart retreats, placements, and maneuvers playing a good role in turning around an ambush situation. Even when things aren’t in my favor, I feel like applying ideas is half the battle in a way I haven’t felt since earlier R6 Siege days, before it became maximum W-left-click play at my skill level, ignoring most of the game in favor of just clicking heads.

I do want to shoutout bot matches; it’s cool to have like, a proper warmup situation that isn’t just jumping straight into queue.

I have so much glowing praise for the game operates mechanically, that I almost forget that there’s that atrocity of a monetization scheme bolted onto it. What a shame.

Oh shit, and I haven’t really played any BTB yet! Goddamn.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    What are the 12 maps? Because I feel like I never see half of those. For big team it feels like 3 maps.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    What are the 12 maps? Because I feel like I never see half of those. For big team it feels like 3 maps.

I think that's correct, as far as maps that can handle big team games go.

I'll be damned if I can't think of only three or four more that I've seen in smaller games, though. But that might be on me being forgetful right now.

Edit: Just looked it up, there are actually 10 maps currently in game. Three for big team, seven for everything else.

Dys on