As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Those packs made me realize I don't know where my original copy of KotOR is anymore.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It's probably a port of the mobile version. So whatever bugs are still in that, expect them to roll over into the Switch version.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It seems like there must be lots of licensing problems to get some of the cooler Atari games.
    I notice Atari collections never have Defender or Berserk. I had those as a kid and I could kick my Mom for selling the game and system in a yard sale.

The Atari VCS Vault has like 100 some. Specific favorites might be missing but they easily have a flashcart's worth.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Atari 2600 collections sort of bounce around in what they include. Generally you end up missing a lot of the non Atari developed arcade ports (Donkey Kong, Pam Man, Defender, etc) and depending on the bundle you might not get Activision stuff which are some of the best playing games (River Raid, Pitfall). Sometimes they pay for the licensing to include 3rd party stuff, sometimes they don't, so on Flashbacks or Collections it's always good to look at the list before buying.

The Switch collection is missing the usual suspects, but has 5200 games and arcade originals for stuff like Tempest so it's still pretty decent.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The PS4 Atari collections have a good amount of the arcade games and well as the 2600 games.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Not sure about Berserk, but if you want Defender, it's Williams/Bally-Midway collections you're looking for.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    I don't think Berserk or Frenzy ever got put on a collection. The arcade versions had synthesized speech.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Is this where old people come to complain?

I just started playing me some kid chameleon on the sega classics game on switch and realized after a good while being all chameleon-like that there's no save mode of any kind.

The arcade UI is pretty terrible to begin with but ugh... come on...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    Oh also they must have changed the code in some way for the Super Mario Bros port because now I can't do the infinite life trick in world 3-1.

The collision or hitboxes have been changed and feel a lot smoother, but now the trick doesn't work.

:(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've suddenly been hit with nostalgia for The Learning Company's games. They made up a substantial part of my childhood. Oregon Trail, the Super Seekers series, Logical Journey of the Zoombinis...

Did young generations end up having anything like that, or was this a wholly unique experience for my generation alone?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Oregon Trail had a popular remake on mobile.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Oh also they must have changed the code in some way for the Super Mario Bros port because now I can't do the infinite life trick in world 3-1.

The collision or hitboxes have been changed and feel a lot smoother, but now the trick doesn't work.

:(

Mario games already effectively have unlimited lives because we've all been playing it so long we never get a game over anyway.

edited November 2021
    Ye... Yeah

That's right...

<.<

>.>

Forget I asked
    >.<'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra

I just started playing me some kid chameleon on the sega classics game on switch and realized after a good while being all chameleon-like that there's no save mode of any kind.

The SEGA Genesis Classics, or Nintendo Switch Online?

The former should have save state functionality. It did when I played, at least.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

The former should have save state functionality. It did when I played, at least.

Genesis Classics... Ah I think I found it... with the joystick? So weird but yeah that's prob it.

Thanks!!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Genesis Classics... Ah I think I found it... with the joystick? So weird but yeah that's prob it.

Thanks!!!

That's a good collection and a way better value for those than with switch online.

Steam: offday
    jothki wrote: »
    I've suddenly been hit with nostalgia for The Learning Company's games. They made up a substantial part of my childhood. Oregon Trail, the Super Seekers series, Logical Journey of the Zoombinis...

Did young generations end up having anything like that, or was this a wholly unique experience for my generation alone?

I'm still waiting for a remake of Odell Lake and Rocky's Boots.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I want Gex to come back

and a Killing Time remake

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone else here pre-ordered the analogue pocket, but they sent out emails saying it WILL ship in December. Really looking forward to getting mine.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I want Gex to come back

and a Killing Time remake

A Gex making fun of modern TV would be great. I don't know if streaming would like that.

Part of what made Gex work was that if played off of old television genres.

A YouTube Gex level would be funny.

Would TikTok and Instagram be other levels as well?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Gex mocking Game Sack and Heavy Metal Jesus would be funny.

Betsuni wrote: »

Would TikTok and Instagram be other levels as well?

Yeah. Have Gex get sucked into the Internet.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

A level where he's trapped in a let's play of his own old games?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    there was another game for the 3do or Jaguar (I think Jaguar) that I loved but I can't remember what it was called

It was capture the flag but with 4 vehicles you could cycle back and forth through. A Helicopter, a Jeep, a Tank, and I believe a Mine Layer.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    This is worse than a jacuzzi party at guy fieris house

Here is a blast from the past. A Cheat! episode on Psychonauts.
    https://youtu.be/sABlw0zZWD0

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Good news everyone! The Analogue Pocket will begin shipping for pre-order holders on December 14th! Keep an eye out if you want one as they'll likely be going up for order again at some point in the near future.

Betsuni wrote: »

Also I think this is the last Star Wars game being reprinted (physical for Switch), Star Wars KotOR. Drops this Friday. Pinging @Handsome Costanza since I know he loved the previous Star Wars releases. Not sure if you're interested in this one though.

Oh I'm definitely getting the Master Edition. Thanks for the heads up!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    there was another game for the 3do or Jaguar (I think Jaguar) that I loved but I can't remember what it was called

It was capture the flag but with 4 vehicles you could cycle back and forth through. A Helicopter, a Jeep, a Tank, and I believe a Mine Layer.

God you owned a 3do? That and the giant laser disks games were so foreign and unattainable to me at the time.

Only ever came close to them while walking through incredible universe...
    uj20agcsh8tv.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Wow, I have never heard of that store, but it looks so 90s and awesome. Tell me more.

Steam: offday
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Incredible Universe was the most awesome store! I remember going there just to walk around and check things out. It was magical and the wiki page about them doesn't do them justice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Universe

I didn't realize that they came from Texas.

Man I miss that store and Fry's Electronics that took over that store and had another nearby.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited November 2021

God you owned a 3do? That and the giant laser disks games were so foreign and unattainable to me at the time.

uj20agcsh8tv.jpg

nope but my friend had about every video game system imaginable

Gex, Rayman, Killing Time, Return Fire, and this one game that was football but you could flat out murder the other players with swords and stuff were favorites

sewer shark was fun for a few evenings

edit: Brutal Sports Football was the game I was describing

Xaquin on
    Gex mocking Game Sack and Heavy Metal Jesus would be funny.

He shows up on Scott the Woz and the guy who thinks everything is Gex is just like "Who are you?!"

Ok holy crap Kid Chameleon is so dumb.

The controls are legit whack... thank goodness for rewind. ^^'

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

uj20agcsh8tv.jpg

Return Fire was also on PS1 and PC, as well as 3DO. I know I played it on the PS1 with a mate, it was a riot. Great game.

Joe Riggs pissed off a development company. The game is pretty bad. They should have re-released the original Popeye game.
    https://youtu.be/vElVubRnHn8