As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    the 12900K has me tempted to do a new build and sell off my 9900k parts but in actual gaming benchmarks, not looking like that big of a jump?

the new architecture/DDR5 and an excuse to downsize from full tower to mid since id be ripping all the guts out anyway is tempting but may hold off at least until DDR5 prices normalize.

GPU continues to be the biggest constraint around. A 9900K isn't going to be limiting most gaming workloads. It will be limiting multithreaded productivity workloads in comparison to a 12900K or 5950X.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    the 12900K has me tempted to do a new build and sell off my 9900k parts but in actual gaming benchmarks, not looking like that big of a jump?

the new architecture/DDR5 and an excuse to downsize from full tower to mid since id be ripping all the guts out anyway is tempting but may hold off at least until DDR5 prices normalize.

You can't actually get DDR5 right now. I know someone who's got a 12900k and having to settle on Motherboard selection and DDR4 because of that.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

GPU continues to be the biggest constraint around. A 9900K isn't going to be limiting most gaming workloads. It will be limiting multithreaded productivity workloads in comparison to a 12900K or 5950X.

Yeah, I am fully aware of how silly it is to even consider but its been close to 4 years since I did a full build and just felt that itch in the back of my head to build something when I saw benchmarks of the 12900ks general performance even though at my resolution of 3440 x 1440 and a 3090, I really wouldn't see much of a real world improvement. And to @Incindium point, DDR5 basically being vaporware right now is what saved me from immediately pulling the trigger.

Yeah, I am fully aware of how silly it is to even consider but its been close to 4 years since I did a full build and just felt that itch in the back of my head to build something when I saw benchmarks of the 12900ks general performance even though at my resolution of 3440 x 1440 and a 3090, I really wouldn't see much of a real world improvement. And to @Incindium point, DDR5 basically being vaporware right now is what saved me from immediately pulling the trigger.

The answer is clearly you need to talk up video and photo editing, or 3D ray tracing, then you can justify it!

Or start compiling ridiculously large codebases!

I like where your head is it, time for a new hobby!

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Right now I'm excited for Intel only so much as keeping AMD on the ball and competitive. Go Intel Go! But I'm sticking to AMD for foreseeable future.

OrokosPA.png
    Infidel wrote: »
    Right now I'm excited for Intel only so much as keeping AMD on the ball and competitive. Go Intel Go! But I'm sticking to AMD for foreseeable future.

I'll go with whoever gives me the best bang, possibly for the appropriate buck.

But I want AMD to have a chance to stay on top a little longer, so long as Intel is nipping at their heels. Intel tends to be dicks about monopoly pricing so I really don't want them getting complacent. See the Core2 era.

If you have too much money, photography is the hobby for you! And if you have WAY too much money, have you heard of our lord and savior astrophotography?

I'll go with whoever gives me the best bang, possibly for the appropriate buck.

But I want AMD to have a chance to stay on top a little longer, so long as Intel is nipping at their heels. Intel tends to be dicks about monopoly pricing so I really don't want them getting complacent. See the Core2 era.

That's why I prefer to go AMD so long as they don't force my hand by falling behind too much.

OrokosPA.png

If you have too much money, photography is the hobby for you! And if you have WAY too much money, have you heard of our lord and savior astrophotography?

hahaha, someday maybe I'll have that problem, right now its stash away for hobbies, just moved x-country, wife starting her own business instead of going back to work post covid layoff and we bought a house so I gotta be surgical with the splurges on myself.

If my daughter was a little older id 100% be building an 12th gen i5 rig/DDR4 for her to be my pocket DPS in FFXIV but she is not yet old enough, saving her from suffering my paladin face pulling.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I mean, the 5900X/5950X are still god tier CPU's. Yeah, Intel clawed back some performance, and yay for competition, but if you want an AMD build, it's still a perfectly good time to do it. You can already get deals on some of the lower AM4 parts. Given that 12-series sales haven't exactly blown the door offs (and in fact have been described as "below expectations") I wouldn't expect to see deep discount on the top tier parts but you may catch a deal here or there.

Only note that you won't get another full generation of CPU's on AM4, the penalty for buying in late sadly. You will probably get another half-step (5000 series 3D cache refreshes) but not a full one.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I mean, the 5900X/5950X are still god tier CPU's. Yeah, Intel clawed back some performance, and yay for competition, but if you want an AMD build, it's still a perfectly good time to do it. You can already get deals on some of the lower AM4 parts. Given that 12-series sales haven't exactly blown the door offs (and in fact have been described as "below expectations") I wouldn't expect to see deep discount on the top tier parts but you may catch a deal here or there.

Only note that you won't get another full generation of CPU's on AM4, the penalty for buying in late sadly. You will probably get another half-step (5000 series 3D cache refreshes) but not a full one.

Yeah, I sure as hell am not going to throw out this 5950X in favor of a 12900KF build.

My 5950X's place in my workstation is safe. I do want a 12900K just to play with and pit against my 5900X for my sim rig...but who knows if I'll go through the trouble. In practical terms it's not worth the effort, the 5900X is more than fine. It's just my desire to play with new PC hardware. Dangerous to my wallet.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So knocked my G604 off the desk last night, only noticed today that the middle click is broken (no spring loaded click) when I got back from work just now. Amazon is showing most places won't be able to deliver earliest 3-4 weeks. Thankfully I can just remap left and right mouse wheel click to middle click until then. Just a real pain on top of stuff like not being able to replace my 1070.

camo_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    V1m wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    After discussions with my dad and brother I have decided to just not buy a video card and instead I'm gonna look at taking my landlady's offer and buy this apartment instead.

You may think I'm joking but I'm not. PC gaming has priced me out.

I do not understand how those two options are even remotely weighing on the same scales.

Like "instead of buying this expensive block of cheese, I've decided to go with a used car."

They start weighing on the same scale when you think start fiddling with mortgage calculators and putting the current cost on Amazon of the video card that I wanted into a deposit instead means that mortgage would get paid off almost 5 months sooner. Call me when I can - even second hand - make a worthwhile upgrade to this 1060GTX for £250 or so.

Ah I always think of houses in terms of the total cost, but I suppose obviously it's actually possible to meaningfully increase the deposit with a few thousand dollars since you don't generally just pay the entire thing in cash immediately. Also I just checked and my old apartment is for sale for $150,000 somehow. That place needs a ton of work.

Though for all that things are now frustratingly pricey in general, I appreciate that the pace of hardware change is also really slow now. It took 7 years for my current computer to really show its age, and I'm hoping the next one might last me a similar amount of time.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    SSD question - how much space these days should you keep free?

Back in the early days it was like 20%, but I hear it's gotten better on newer SSDs?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think that's become codified on modern SSDs as over provisioning now, some SSD brands have software to control the percentage of capacity held back when formatting the drive as unallocated space to use for over provisioning to improve longevity and performance, some just have it built in. 10% of the capacity seems to be the default for that.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    What the heck is OnTrac? I don't think I've ever heard of them and I'd like to avoid them based on that experience! My last couple of things shipped were UPS/FedEx.

Ontrac is a west coast only delivery company, though I think they will ship anywhere from the west coast. So you'll rarely see them if you don't live here. They are a small slice of the delivery market even here.

Clearly ontrac doesn't steal or lose every package, and fedex/ups don't get everything to your door perfectly, but OnTrac seems to be like 95% success vs FedEx 99%, and (working with both them and Newegg now to try and resolve this) Ontrac customer service and response is utter garbage.

I was expecting delays, since I paid for signature delivery (stuff was expensive, don't want it left in the street) but, that's the usual drive to FedEx center annoyance sort of thing. Not this fake delivery rubbish.

So, watch out for Newegg for expensive stuff these days. You might get your stuff shipped with ontrac, and then you'll be stuck waiting weeks for resolution. Out of pocket, and no pc.

So, to conclude this story...

Monday, called OnTrac 5 times with no response
    Monday 1 pm, 15 minutes on the phone with Newegg, got them to agree to expedite the claim
    Monday 2 pm, wife returns from post lunch walk, sees white truck speeding away. Finds large box dumped on stairs, pc has shown up
    Monday 2:15 pm receive 5 instant computer generated emails from ontrac, and suddenly they say that the package arrived at 2 pm...

So, here's the computer? Why they didn't just delay the delivery I don't know!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    What the heck is OnTrac? I don't think I've ever heard of them and I'd like to avoid them based on that experience! My last couple of things shipped were UPS/FedEx.

Ontrac is a west coast only delivery company, though I think they will ship anywhere from the west coast. So you'll rarely see them if you don't live here. They are a small slice of the delivery market even here.

Clearly ontrac doesn't steal or lose every package, and fedex/ups don't get everything to your door perfectly, but OnTrac seems to be like 95% success vs FedEx 99%, and (working with both them and Newegg now to try and resolve this) Ontrac customer service and response is utter garbage.

I was expecting delays, since I paid for signature delivery (stuff was expensive, don't want it left in the street) but, that's the usual drive to FedEx center annoyance sort of thing. Not this fake delivery rubbish.

So, watch out for Newegg for expensive stuff these days. You might get your stuff shipped with ontrac, and then you'll be stuck waiting weeks for resolution. Out of pocket, and no pc.

Monday 1 pm, 15 minutes on the phone with Newegg, got them to agree to expedite the claim
    Monday 2 pm, wife returns from post lunch walk, sees white truck speeding away. Finds large box dumped on stairs, pc has shown up
    Monday 2:15 pm receive 5 instant computer generated emails from ontrac, and suddenly they say that the package arrived at 2 pm...

Metrics

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Is there a good reason to get a socket LGA 1700 motherboard and CPU right now?

I really don't see it, especially at the price point. Intel has too many fucking product lines and they cannot stick with any socket type more than 8 months.

I'm looking somewhere between $1k to $1.5k to upgrade my current (oldish) mobo/CPU/ram and it sure doesn't make sense so far to get any DDR5 or an LGA 1700 chip. I was looking at the i7 12xxxx line and it seems... bad? Price for performance a Gen 11 and an LGA 1200 motherboard and DDR4 saves a fortune.

there doesn't seem to be any DDR5 to buy yet anyway, like newegg has listings but they're all out of stock

BahamutZERO.gif
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    there doesn't seem to be any DDR5 to buy yet anyway, like newegg has listings but they're all out of stock

There also aren't any stock liquid cooling solutions. It's all retrofit.

It's the difference between $1500 and I suspect somewhere around $900-$1100 if I find sales/rebates.

dispatch.o on
    looking at the 5800x in my shopping list, thinking "you know I could get a 5900x for only about $150 more" and having to keep reminding myself there's no point in that, I'm already probably not gonna run into CPU bottlenecking for the 5800 anytime in the lifetime of this system.

BahamutZERO.gif
    looking at the 5800x in my shopping list, thinking "you know I could get a 5900x for only about $150 more" and having to keep reminding myself there's no point in that, I'm already probably not gonna run into CPU bottlenecking for the 5800 anytime in the lifetime of this system.

Unless you have something that's going to use the extra 4c/8t, and given that you're getting the 5800x at a good price, I wouldn't sweat the 5900x. Especially since, in theory and if the world ever goes back to something approaching normal, you can slap a used 5950/5900X in there in a year or two if you actually find yourself core limited.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    As some running a 5800X, you won’t be disappointed in the purchase at all.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Got a WD Red, put it in, formatted it (quickformat, idk if that matters), crystal disk check looks fine. Quiet too.

But
    while dl'ing something via torrent, I got a crc error, and I'm mildly panicking right now

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Metrics

Our postal service people do this a lot when things are busy, mark them delivered and then drop it off the next day.

steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I think that's become codified on modern SSDs as over provisioning now, some SSD brands have software to control the percentage of capacity held back when formatting the drive as unallocated space to use for over provisioning to improve longevity and performance, some just have it built in. 10% of the capacity seems to be the default for that.

Yeah, the Samsung app lets you choose how much to OP or just to outright not use it.
    qax3hd2k7hi6.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    drive update: just resumed the dl, continued without problems, windows harddrive check detected no errors, so I hope this was just a fluke?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    As some running a 5800X, you won’t be disappointed in the purchase at all.

Can confirm, it's an absolute beast of a CPU.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Decided to pull the trigger on some stuff and upgrade my 9-year-old base machine. New stuff:
    5800X
    Asrock B550M Pro4 (Hopefully has updated BIOS!)
    32GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR4 3600
    SK hynix Gold P31 500GB NVME
    Silverstone PS15 Case
    Scythe Fuma 2 cooler

Reusing:
    Gigabyte RX 590
    Seasonic Focus GX 650W
    SSDs/HDD

I will do a new Windows 10 install since I have all this new hardware and an NVME drive. Any tips on making sure I get all my stuff installed and transferred over?

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2021
    I also pulled the trigger on my build tonight, prices not gonna go any lower than this it feels like.
    Also grabbed a Ryzen 5800x, first time I'll be using a Ryzen CPU (though I don't upgrade often, current CPU is a i5-4460 from like, 2013, before that was something intel from the mid-aughts, and before that was some kind of intel from around the turn of the century)
    MSI B550 Tomahawk mobo
    2x16GB DDR4 3600 CL16
    Corsair RMx 2021 650 watt PSU
    Fractal Designs Define 7 Compact case with no damn glass, eat shit gamer LEDs
    a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 air cooler for the CPU and 3 more be quiet fans for the case

Reusing my 2 SATA SSDs, my nice new wifi 6E PCIe card, and my poor, sad old GTX 1060 3GB. Hoping my number will get called in the EVGA queue soon so I can have the privilege of only getting ripped off a bit by the manufacturer instead of very ripped off by a scalper.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am once again looking at upgrading my PC, as I do every year or so before deciding I can't afford it. I have a bunch of components I added to my Amazon wishlist last time I was given advice, to remind myself to buy them, but I added them in 2019 so I'm guessing they're well out of date now. Researching this stuff is giving me a headache. Is a Ryzen 5 5600 better or worse than a Ryzen 7 3700? Which numbers do I want to be bigger? Do I want more, slower cores or fewer, faster cores? Why are there so many different kinds of processor??

This is what I have sitting on my wishlist:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX motherboard for AMD AM4 (lol what does any of that mean)
    16GB of DDR4 3600MHz RAM
    Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD

I have a Radeon RX 580 which I'm not planning to replace yet, and a fairly new PSU. Other than that I'll be upgrading from an Intel i5 760 and a dying HDD.

Do any of those recommended components still look okay? If I want to get a better processor what numbers are most important in deciding which is better? - let's assume for simplicity I will be getting a Ryzen of some kind.

I would get the newer 5600 over the 3600 at least, since the mobo/ram is geared towards that one. 3600mhz is the target memory speed you want for 5xxx series, it's usually 3200mhz you need for Ryzen 3600 to keep up.

So, I'm currently looking at a Ryzen 7 3600X and a Ryzen 5 5600X on this one site. They are within £10 of being the same price. I did some reading on what all the different numbers mean but I still don't know which would be objectively better. Also would they need different motherboards?

edited November 2021
    The 5600 is better than the 3600, more like a 3700 in performance. Go for the 5600, if price is the same.
    I often refer to these benchmarks when shopping for CPUs and video cards: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    the 5600X and the 3700X score around 22k, the 3600X scores around 18k

also breaking down the motherboard gibberish name:
    ASRock = the manufacturer brand
    X570 = the chipset in the board
    Phantom Gaming 4 = the motherboard model name
    ATX = the form factor of the motherboard, ATX is the full sized standard form
    AMD AM4 = the CPU socket in the motherboard, determines what CPUs can connect to this board. AM4 is the currently most recent socket type for AMD CPUs.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Okay, I've pulled the trigger. Not exactly what I had suggested but hopefully close enough. And I mean, compared to my current PC it will be a rocket ship.

Ryzen 5 5600X, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600Mhz, WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD

Got the mobo/CPU/ram in a bundle which apparently means they will pre-build it and do the necessary BIOS upgrade for me. Now I just need to get a new copy of Windows and not break everything when it arrives.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @tsmvengy and others: use Ninite.com to grab programs you want. Connect the old drive as a secondary drive safer you install and update windows. Then just copy over what you want from the old drive.

The install process is super fast on SSDs and NVMe now.

Okay, I've pulled the trigger. Not exactly what I had suggested but hopefully close enough. And I mean, compared to my current PC it will be a rocket ship.

Ryzen 5 5600X, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600Mhz, WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD

Got the mobo/CPU/ram in a bundle which apparently means they will pre-build it and do the necessary BIOS upgrade for me. Now I just need to get a new copy of Windows and not break everything when it arrives.

Are you gonna keep using the old computer? You can transfer the windows license from it to the new one if not.

BahamutZERO.gif
    I don't think I can because it was an OEM Windows key

I don't think I can because it was an OEM Windows key

They don't really care so long as you say "yes I'm upgrading parts and not using the old computer."

It's been a while for me but with an upgrade like this you usually have to call in to reactivate Windows.

OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2021
    At worst you'll have to make a reasonably quick phone call yeah, might not even need to

The exception to this I've experienced is when it turns out your old windows 7 CD-key was actually from a batch created by a stolen key generator which has been blacklisted :cry:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.