As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    OK.... it's time...

Do I
    1. dust off my PS3 for FF7 (PSOne Classic)
    2. Buy the PC uprezzed version of FF7 on Steam

The remaster is fine. Has a few extra things like a fast forward and turn off random battles

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    OK.... it's time...

Do I

Get the PC version if your plan is to mod the shit out of it (Ninostyle models are a must)

Play the PSOne Classic if you want the classic experience.

There's not much point to the PC version if you don't mod it. It doesn't have the same cheats as the PS4/Switch rereleases (x3 speed, no encounters, invincibility), just this character booster thing that is a chore to use.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    After playing XII (ZA version) I hope they keep the speed up option in every title forever.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    OK.... it's time...

Do I

Does the FF7 on Steam have better quality video cutscenes and soundtrack?

Also, you could run the original in an emulator. I don't know if the PSOne Classic version has the change disc screens.

From what it read the PC version has upgraded video cutscenes and the PS1 audio, so I would say go with FF7 on Steam. The console ports blur the backgrounds. It sounds like that is not in the Steam version.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    OK.... it's time...

Do I

Also, you could run the original in an emulator. I don't know if the PSOne Classic version has the change disc screens.

i mean, i don't have the discs for FF7 nor a disc drive, so i couldn't run it in an emulator. PSOne Classic is how i beat the game the first time so i can confirm it does allow you to change discs normally.

EDIT: Anyway, i'm probly gonna replay it as a PSOne Classic on PS3.

21stCentury on
    From what it read the PC version has upgraded video cutscenes and the PS1 audio, so I would say go with FF7 on Steam. The console ports blur the backgrounds. It sounds like that is not in the Steam version.

The PC version will have blurry backgrounds unless you install mods to upscale them.

Ditto the video, it looks awful natively on PC.

Forget it...
    Reznik wrote: »

The PC version will have blurry backgrounds unless you install mods to upscale them.

Ditto the video, it looks awful natively on PC.

Bah. I guess I will run it in the emulator. The backgrounds were originally pixilated. So was the video.

OK.... it's time...

Do I

i mean, i don't have the discs for FF7 nor a disc drive, so i couldn't run it in an emulator. PSOne Classic is how i beat the game the first time so i can confirm it does allow you to change discs normally.

Yeah. I would say that changing discs is part of the experience. It makes you feel like you are making progress.

https://youtu.be/ExWfBDXdYHg
    I still like the chunky PS1 version. I just double the resolution in the emulator.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    OK.... it's time...

Do I

Get the PC version if your plan is to mod the shit out of it (Ninostyle models are a must)

There's not much point to the PC version if you don't mod it. It doesn't have the same cheats as the PS4/Switch rereleases (x3 speed, no encounters, invincibility), just this character booster thing that is a chore to use.

I just played through the entirety of FF7 Steam un-modded, 120 hours, and I loved it. The chunky models are great and lend the game its unique look and feel.

Advantages to Steam FF7:

- touched up localization (fixes "this guy are sick," clarifies some lines the original dropped the ball on)
    - fixes the magic defense bug (in the original, no armors ever affected your magic defense, leaving everyone very vulnerable to magic)
    - highest quality version of the PS1 audio and FMVs (in the original PC release, the FMVs were even LOWER res than on PS1)
    - same models and backgrounds but at any resolution you want, and it's very crisp, not blurred; I saw a lot of details in the pixelated backgrounds I had never seen before on PS1
    - cloud saves so you're not relying on ancient memory cards or locking it to one hardware device
    - achievements, if you like those

Disadvantages to Steam FF7:

- every character has mouths, some permanently stuck open in a round "O"; the best anyone on the localization team can remember is that they found code in the PS1 game disabling the mouths, shrugged and turned them back on, without questioning whether they were ever intended, or some unfinished feature better left alone

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    OK.... it's time...

Do I

I just played through the entirety of FF7 Steam un-modded, 120 hours, and I loved it. The chunky models are great and lend the game its unique look and feel.

Advantages to Steam FF7:

- touched up localization (fixes "this guy are sick," clarifies some lines the original dropped the ball on)
    - fixes the magic defense bug (in the original, no armors ever affected your magic defense, leaving everyone very vulnerable to magic)
    - highest quality version of the PS1 audio and FMVs (in the original PC release, the FMVs were even LOWER res than on PS1)
    - same models and backgrounds but at any resolution you want, and it's very crisp, not blurred; I saw a lot of details in the pixelated backgrounds I had never seen before on PS1
    - cloud saves so you're not relying on ancient memory cards or locking it to one hardware device

- every character has mouths, some permanently stuck open in a round "O"; the best anyone on the localization team can remember is that they found code in the PS1 game disabling the mouths, shrugged and turned them back on, without questioning whether they were ever intended, or some unfinished feature better left alone

Ok. So the backgrounds are not blurred and the video cutscenes and music are at highest quality. That sounds right. I may get this version.
    Did they blur the backgrounds in the FF8 remaster? It looked like it in that video I posted.

OK.... it's time...

Do I

Oooooh. You could also play it on the Vita. Just download the PSOne Classic to the Vita.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    A possible part of that is that I think I read that the PS1 had a quirk where it would show every polygon it rendered, even if they should work out to be less than a pixel large on-screen. So if the field models had mouths, you'd always see a tiny black dot even if they were on one of those large shots like Mt Nibel where the entire character is ten pixels high. So it'd make sense if they took them out to avoid that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited November 2021
    Ok. So the backgrounds are not blurred and the video cutscenes and music are at highest quality. That sounds right. I may get this version.

FYI this is what it looks like, just took this screenshot in 800x600 mode, it's up to you if this looks blurry:

RfMjMAs.png

What it is, is the original prerendered background, pixel perfect, which can look blurry due to the resolution they rendered it at, but there has been no post-process smear over that. There has been at least one project using AI to upscale this which did a pretty good job if you do want to mod.

I really enjoyed looking closely at these though. There is so much goofy english text all throughout the game that's easy to miss. The mat that says WEL-COME. The pumpkin in a cage that is named Jack Pumpkin?! So many details.

klemming wrote: »
    A possible part of that is that I think I read that the PS1 had a quirk where it would show every polygon it rendered, even if they should work out to be less than a pixel large on-screen. So if the field models had mouths, you'd always see a tiny black dot even if they were on one of those large shots like Mt Nibel where the entire character is ten pixels high. So it'd make sense if they took them out to avoid that.
    It's also possible that there was an intent to make a talking animation that was never fully-realized. Another thought is that you can see the chibi polygonal models with mouths in certain FMVs, like when Tifa leaps to catch the rope to the Highwind, and those mouths were created just for those rendered scenes and hidden the rest of the time.

There's also a very specific scene, even on the PS1, at the end of the game where Tifa's mouth was enabled because she's in the close foreground where you ought to be able to see it. Adds to the scene IMO.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This is fucking amazing.

I want every game to have this now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

FYI this is what it looks like, just took this screenshot in 800x600 mode, it's up to you if this looks blurry:

RfMjMAs.png

What it is, is the original prerendered background, pixel perfect, which can look blurry due to the resolution they rendered it at, but there has been no post-process smear over that. There has been at least one project using AI to upscale this which did a pretty good job if you do want to mod.

I really enjoyed looking closely at these though. There is so much goofy english text all throughout the game that's easy to miss. The mat that says WEL-COME. The pumpkin in a cage that is named Jack Pumpkin?! So many details.

It's also possible that there was an intent to make a talking animation that was never fully-realized. Another thought is that you can see the chibi polygonal models with mouths in certain FMVs, like when Tifa leaps to catch the rope to the Highwind, and those mouths were created just for those rendered scenes and hidden the rest of the time.

There's also a very specific scene, even on the PS1, at the end of the game where Tifa's mouth was enabled because she's in the close foreground where you ought to be able to see it. Adds to the scene IMO.

I don't even remember that shop. It looks like there is no blurring. Good.

They blurred the backgrounds in the FF8 Remaster. I will run that one in the emulator.

It's in the Gold Saucer spooky area, for rest and shopping. :)

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    an area they made liberal use of the KefkaLaugh.wav file they had lying around

BahamutZERO.gif
    OK.... it's time...

Do I

Advantages to Steam FF7:

The PC localization is hit and miss. It fixes some things, but actually mistranslates others. For example, there's a conversation with two Shinra guards blocking the southern exit at the sector 7 pillar screen, between the slums and the train graveyard. One of them addresses Cloud by name for some reason, even though in the original Japanese conversation and the PS1 translation they're talking to each other, and shouldn't know Cloud's name anyway. The differences between the two aren't really that significant otherwise beyond typo fixes.

I still think the non-mod-upscaled backgrounds and FMVs look like ass on PC, and without mods I'd much rather run an emulator with scanlines, but YMMV.

Also, apparently last year they released a "Windows 10 Edition" of FF7 with the same built in cheats as PS4/Switch, but it runs worse than the Steam version and doesn't have mod support. So there's that.

Forget it...
    It's in the Gold Saucer spooky area, for rest and shopping. :)

Hopefully, they fully realize the Gold Saucer in the remake. They have to make a map for the overworld like in the original. It is too big.

For a long time I don't know why I assumed the gold saucer was like a gold saucer of milk, like the tableware, I suppose the idea of rich people being "born with a silver spoon" and likewise a gold saucer, right?

But it's right in the cutscene introducing it: the sign that says Gold Saucer has a spaceship, a flying saucer, right on it.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    For a long time I don't know why I assumed the gold saucer was like a gold saucer of milk, like the tableware, I suppose the idea of rich people being "born with a silver spoon" and likewise a gold saucer, right?

But it's right in the cutscene introducing it: the sign that says Gold Saucer has a spaceship, a flying saucer, right on it.

This caused a brain spasm and I feel so ashamed

Actually, why IS the gold saucer called that? Is it called that because the building is a bunch of golden flying saucer-shaped domes on a tree? They're not really flying saucer-shaped, though, in FF7 or FF14.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Actually, why IS the gold saucer called that? Is it called that because the building is a bunch of golden flying saucer-shaped domes on a tree? They're not really flying saucer-shaped, though, in FF7 or FF14.

Come, and be transported to a fantastic realm that's out of this world!

edited November 2021
    It is cheaper to just buy the FF13 series on PC than purchase the DLC for it on PS3. The PC versions have most of the DLC.

They really stick it to you on Lightning Returns PS3 DLC.

That is assuming you use cdkeys.com to buy the games.

Krathoon on

z4ahd4hyc1hs.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

z4ahd4hyc1hs.png

stop posting pictures of me GMing. :razz:

I do have some l'Cie brand stickers. Never used them.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

I wouldn't even know what to do with them. I guess because I lack focus...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Put them on your console or laptop, I would.

wVEsyIc.png
    From the Wiki:
    Pulse l'Cie

Serah Farron, whose brand is located on her upper left arm. Her crystal is in the shape of a teardrop.

Lightning, whose brand is located on her chest, above her left breast. Her eidolith is shaped like a rose bloom, and contains her Eidolon, Odin.

Snow Villiers, whose brand is on his left forearm. His eidolith is the shape of a heart, and contains his Eidolon, the Shiva sisters.

Sazh Katzroy, whose brand is in the middle of his upper chest. His eidolith is shaped like a chocobo feather, and contains his Eidolon, Brynhildr.

Hope Estheim, whose brand is on the back of his left wrist. His eidolith is shaped like a star, and contains his Eidolon, Alexander.

Oerba Dia Vanille, whose brand is on her upper left thigh. Her eidolith is the shape of an apple, and contains her Eidolon, Hecatoncheir.

Oerba Yun Fang, whose brand is on her right shoulder. Her petal-shaped eidolith contains her Eidolon, Bahamut.

The PSICOM troops that entered the Pulse Vestige before the beginning of Final Fantasy XIII were branded l'Cie by Anima, and turn into Cie'th.

Sometimes I get annoyed by on-the-nose names for fantasy things but seriously they could've been called Branded, which is caused by The Celestials, and I would've been absolutely ok with that.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Sometimes I get annoyed by on-the-nose names for fantasy things but seriously they could've been called Branded, which is caused by The Celestials, and I would've been absolutely ok with that.

Oddly, FF Type-0 uses the same mythology as XIII, only fal'cie are instead replaced with Crystals (which fal'cie pretty much are anyways) and they function rather similarly.
    But l'cie are still called l'cie

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Finally got time to beat The After Years. It had it's moments, but was not a satisfying sequel to my favorite FF. On to FF V PR.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    the boss music in 7 is the only part of the soundtrack that is better than 8's.

This discussion has been closed.