As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chicken [Coup]

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    biden and garland would do very well to loudly and publicly announce that the FBI will be launching a force to deal with cyber threats.

but they have been garbage on nearly every front thus far so insanity and violence will win again!

Does Biden and/or Garland control what the FBI does?

The FBI director biden nominates does

regardless, someone in this administration has the ability to do it.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Isn't that what Garland did, or said the DOJ was doing, in "The Garland Letter" that Republicans just can't stop going on about? Maybe it was specifically about school officials, but I'm guessing it can be applied more broadly.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The FBI is also a branch of the Department of Justice, so although Garland doesn't "control" the Bureau he sets their priorities based on his agenda for prosecution.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    biden and garland would do very well to loudly and publicly announce that the FBI will be launching a force to deal with cyber threats.

but they have been garbage on nearly every front thus far so insanity and violence will win again!

The problem/concern is that politicians influencing the direction of law enforcement leads down a dangerous road.

It didn't stop Trump doing it (and trying to do more), but it's like SCOTUS. When the belief in the independence of the institution is eroded, it's really hard to get it back, especially if neither side appears interested in doing so.

Now, the argument of whether it's too late to prevent that or not, is up for debate. But the use of law enforcement as a weapon of the current elected party is the beginning of a failed democracy.

Isn't that what Garland did, or said the DOJ was doing, in "The Garland Letter" that Republicans just can't stop going on about? Maybe it was specifically about school officials, but I'm guessing it can be applied more broadly.

I hadn't heard

which means they aren't doing it nearly loudly enough

MorganV wrote: »

The problem/concern is that politicians influencing the direction of law enforcement leads down a dangerous road.

It didn't stop Trump doing it (and trying to do more), but it's like SCOTUS. When the belief in the independence of the institution is eroded, it's really hard to get it back, especially if neither side appears interested in doing so.

Now, the argument of whether it's too late to prevent that or not, is up for debate. But the use of law enforcement as a weapon of the current elected party is the beginning of a failed democracy.

I'm not asking the DOJ to make false charges or invent evidence, I'm praying for them to go after actual criminals that are doing actual crimes. The fact that it's almost exclusively the gop that's doing it is their own fault

I'm not asking the DOJ to make false charges or invent evidence, I'm praying for them to go after actual criminals that are doing actual crimes. The fact that it's almost exclusively the gop that's doing it is their own fault

Oh, absolutely. The way the DOJ has dealt with shit sometimes makes you wonder whether they're complicit, or just so open-minded about being "fair" that they're letting criminals get away with shit because pursuing it might come across as "partisan".

We see the same shit with Democrats and the filibuster. The Republicans aren't working in good faith, but if we just appease them some more, they might come back to us.

Media too. Putting Republicans in context makes them look deranged (because they are), so better sand off the rough edges, and make sure we scuff up Democrats enough.

The two things Republicans have learned the last decade or two, is that not having shame or backing down won't hurt you, and complaining about bias will get you comparatively favorable coverage.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    a
    A lot of leftists/liberals are against the capitol rioters getting long prison sentences, and I find it insincere. They aren't taking into account the fact that they'd have got a lot harsher sentences had they done the same thing from a left-wing point of view.

Plus, the first step to prison reform is to make white middle-class conservatives consider the possibility that they or their children may one day suffer those conditions. If it's a thing that only happens to black people and the white poor, they just won't care.

I have had too many direct conversations with conservatives who's opinions about how our current system function, that are literally "It's ok if horrifying thing happens because it can't happen to me(because I'm white)". sometimes the parenthesis are out loud and they are very clear and ok with wielding power unjustly against anyone that isnt them.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Anyone else mesmerized by his Rachmaninoff-esque appendages

Big hands are important in the law profession

upy5d7ny05ep.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Objection!

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Objection!

Overruled, tinyhands.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The attorney for Jacob Chansley...

"The attorney for Jacob Chansley, a.k.a. the ‘QAnon Shaman,’ said Trump needs to take care of the ‘jackasses that [he] f*cked up because of January 6’"
    - Now This News is a progressive social media site.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. If he's playing 4D chess, or if he's just the dumbest motherfucker lawyer since Rudy and Sidney got in the shit.

I can't imagine being on a jury and taking anything this guy says seriously.

But then again, I can't see how anyone takes Trump seriously either, and 10's of millions of Americans do, so I'm not that good a barometer on this kind of thing.

I'm not sure what's a I dumb about his answer? He's correctly pointed out that Trump is responsible for inciting the coup. It's wrapped in some folksy nonsense about having a bear with him or whatever sure. Also obviously Trump doesn't give a shit about his supporters.

Was more related to my later points (re not being able to take this guy seriously), more than anything, and how it might help his client in any meaningful way.

I dunno. Maybe I just expect more from people in certain professions. Doctors, judges, politicians, law enforcement, and lawyers (that aren't ambulance chasers).

I'm constantly disappointed.

ADDIT- Apparently this isn't the only time he's been "indelicate".
    Watkins, the “Q Shaman” Jacob Chansley’s attorney, said his client had Asperger’s syndrome and indicated that Chansley’s mental state — and the impact of Trump’s “propaganda” efforts — would play a role in his case.

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all fucking short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re fucking retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.”

“But they’re our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, our coworkers — they’re part of our country. These aren’t bad people, they don’t have prior criminal history. Fuck, they were subjected to four-plus years of goddamn propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since fucking Hitler.”
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/capitol-rioters-trump-defense-comes-up-again-and-again-will-it-make-a-difference
    From May 18th, 2021.

I just... holy shit. That's really unbelievable.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The attorney for Jacob Chansley...

"The attorney for Jacob Chansley, a.k.a. the ‘QAnon Shaman,’ said Trump needs to take care of the ‘jackasses that [he] f*cked up because of January 6’"
    - Now This News is a progressive social media site.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. If he's playing 4D chess, or if he's just the dumbest motherfucker lawyer since Rudy and Sidney got in the shit.

I can't imagine being on a jury and taking anything this guy says seriously.

But then again, I can't see how anyone takes Trump seriously either, and 10's of millions of Americans do, so I'm not that good a barometer on this kind of thing.

I'm not sure what's a I dumb about his answer? He's correctly pointed out that Trump is responsible for inciting the coup. It's wrapped in some folksy nonsense about having a bear with him or whatever sure. Also obviously Trump doesn't give a shit about his supporters.

Was more related to my later points (re not being able to take this guy seriously), more than anything, and how it might help his client in any meaningful way.

I dunno. Maybe I just expect more from people in certain professions. Doctors, judges, politicians, law enforcement, and lawyers (that aren't ambulance chasers).

I'm constantly disappointed.

ADDIT- Apparently this isn't the only time he's been "indelicate".
    Watkins, the “Q Shaman” Jacob Chansley’s attorney, said his client had Asperger’s syndrome and indicated that Chansley’s mental state — and the impact of Trump’s “propaganda” efforts — would play a role in his case.

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all fucking short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re fucking retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.”

“But they’re our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, our coworkers — they’re part of our country. These aren’t bad people, they don’t have prior criminal history. Fuck, they were subjected to four-plus years of goddamn propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since fucking Hitler.”
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/capitol-rioters-trump-defense-comes-up-again-and-again-will-it-make-a-difference
    From May 18th, 2021.

I just... holy shit. That's really unbelievable.

I honestly didn't believe it was a real quote and went looking at other sources, just to check.

Yeah he really did say that. I'm kind of astounded.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I mean vulgarly offensive yes. But to me, "My client and these defendants have mental health issues that led them to be manipulated by Donald Trump. They are victims of a cult" is practically the only defense I could see possibly worthy of leniency.

So, fucking awful language, but I agree with what I think is the intent?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Curious how many of these Trump supporters were also in favor of Texas executing mentally challenged inmates.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Curious how many of these Trump supporters were also in favor of Texas executing mentally challenged inmates.

but those prisoners were fuckin' [ableist slur]s, while they themselves are smart.

Commander Zoom on
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    a
    A lot of leftists/liberals are against the capitol rioters getting long prison sentences, and I find it insincere. They aren't taking into account the fact that they'd have got a lot harsher sentences had they done the same thing from a left-wing point of view.

Plus, the first step to prison reform is to make white middle-class conservatives consider the possibility that they or their children may one day suffer those conditions. If it's a thing that only happens to black people and the white poor, they just won't care.

I have had too many direct conversations with conservatives who's opinions about how our current system function, that are literally "It's ok if horrifying thing happens because it can't happen to me(because I'm white)". sometimes the parenthesis are out loud and they are very clear and ok with wielding power unjustly against anyone that isnt them.

I mean, Jenna Ryan, one of the (still unrepentant) Capitol rioters recently sentenced to 60 days in prison for her crimes, boldly declared over social media: “Definitely not going to jail. Sorry I have blonde hair white skin a great job a great future and I’m not going to jail,” she wrote. “Sorry to rain on your hater parade. I did nothing wrong.”

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

but those prisoners were fuckin' [ableist slur]s, while they themselves are smart.

"Texas Smart" too boot!

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    So, it turns out that Colorado was not the only place to suffer a data breach by election conspiracy nuts. Lake County, Ohio announced that some of the images shown at Lindell’s symposium included information downloaded from their network. Apparently, last May someone plugged a laptop into a port in the County Commissioner’s office and spent four hours downloading… routine network traffic. In the words of the County Auditor,
    it was some copier talking to a desktop saying 'I am still here waiting for you to send me a print job.

This information was then shared as part of the evidence of electoral malfeasance in Lindell’s ongoing campaign to overturn the election. No sensitive data was taken, and the FBI is investigating.

https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-county-shocked-after-mike-lindell-event-shares-its-computers-data-spurs-fbi-probe-1651601?amp=1

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
    So, again, the only sign of ANY malfeasance (that did nothing to actually influence an election), were bad faith Republican actors, and those actions were caught and sent to the relevant authorities.

It'd be much more scandalous, if it wasn't so damn fucking predictable.

"Incompetent Republicans accuse Democrats of something that they themselves tried and failed (spectacularly) to do."

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    These people make the cast of Burn After Reading look like James Fucking Bond

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Oh, also in Dominion’s case against OAN, their top two executives, and two correspondents, OAN’s lawyers have requested that, the if the court is unwilling to dismiss the case outright, it should at least dismiss it with regards to OAN and their top two executives. I mean, I know they’ve generally been blind to the optics of… well… everything, but damn.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.234315/gov.uscourts.dcd.234315.41.0.pdf

Relevant portion on page 27 (page 34 in the viewer)

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh, also in Dominion’s case against OAN, their top two executives, and two correspondents, OAN’s lawyers have requested that, the if the court is unwilling to dismiss the case outright, it should at least dismiss it with regards to OAN and their top two executives. I mean, I know they’ve generally been blind to the optics of… well… everything, but damn.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.234315/gov.uscourts.dcd.234315.41.0.pdf

They even offered up Colorado as good state for Dominion to continue suing their on air talent, since the case against one of them is already ongoing there. You would think this would be a warning to conservative pundits everywhere that being a willing handmaid to American oligarchs won't protect you in the end...but I doubt it.

Dark_Side on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    They even offered up Colorado as good state for Dominion to continue suing their on air talent, since the case against one of them is already ongoing there. You would think this would be a warning to conservative pundits everywhere that being a willing handmaiden to american oligarchs won't protect you in the end...but I doubt it.

There's a reason "I never thought the Face-Eating Leopards would eat MY face," is a saying of our times. Every employee of OAN getting thrown under a bus, even if it was completely literally, would just mean more narcissistic idiot assholes looking at the new job openings and thinking that this is their chance. There's an endless supply of them. The Capitol Insurrectionists are all getting thrown under the bus, and if Trump tried it again there would be more thousands to take their places.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They even offered up Colorado as good state for Dominion to continue suing their on air talent, since the case against one of them is already ongoing there. You would think this would be a warning to conservative pundits everywhere that being a willing handmaiden to american oligarchs won't protect you in the end...but I doubt it.

How would they make their money of they stopped though? Conservative Outrage Merchant is a good career but only if you stay on target.

edited November 2021
    Mayabird wrote: »

There's a reason "I never thought the Face-Eating Leopards would eat MY face," is a saying of our times. Every employee of OAN getting thrown under a bus, even if it was completely literally, would just mean more narcissistic idiot assholes looking at the new job openings and thinking that this is their chance. There's an endless supply of them. The Capitol Insurrectionists are all getting thrown under the bus, and if Trump tried it again there would be more thousands to take their places.

To be fair, the Face-Eating Leopards Party did campaign on a very attractive platform of immigration quotas and socialized horse paste.

Knuckle Dragger on

- John Stuart Mill
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    All props to @Mayabird for sharing this in the YouTube thread:

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's my joke

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Anyone else mesmerized by his Rachmaninoff-esque appendages

Big hands are important in the law profession

upy5d7ny05ep.jpg

That is someone who could engage in muffled gorilla violence.

shryke wrote: »

How would they make their money of they stopped though? Conservative Outrage Merchant is a good career but only if you stay on target.

Yeah, once you get on that train there is no getting off

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    The Q crazies were in Dallas again waiting for JFK/ Jr. to show.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I really thought the dead guy was gonna show up this time

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There's also the possibility that the payout to Dominion is not even gonna dent their profits from running OAN.

There's also the possibility that the payout to Dominion is not even gonna dent their profits from running OAN.

OANN is like a $25M-ish property and Dominion is seeking over $1B in damages. If this trial even goes forward OANN will probably declare bankruptcy.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited November 2021
    OAN was initially funded by AT&T because they wanted more fash propaganda (literally) to make it seem like their cable offering had a very wide breadth of rightward content, which would help them sell to more people, even to, I’m assuming, some “liberals” who want to feel good that there’s a lot of voices and opinions out there

Captain Inertia on
    Butters wrote: »

OANN is like a $25M-ish property and Dominion is seeking over $1B in damages. If this trial even goes forward OANN will probably declare bankruptcy.

Seeking damages is different than getting damages, and there's the aspect that it's hard to pierce the corporate veil and get directly at the executives.

I don't expect them to get necessarily what they seek, but OANN is like really low-rent and small time. They and Newsmax are pimples on Fox's ass that would not survive these lawsuits if they move forward. They are probably both small enough to get Peter Thiel'd if judges let it happen.

Yeah reports in early 2020 showed Trumpland putting purchase prices on OAN and Newsmax at $300m and $200m respectively

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Depending on how hard those stations get hit, you have to ask yourself what right-wing donor would be willing to foot the bill for keeping them afloat.

Fox can and will survive this, but on because they're a juggernaut and they need at least one 100% brainworm pipeline for their screeds.

No-Quarter on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The Q crazies were in Dallas again waiting for JFK/ Jr. to show.

I mean it only makes sense

Who wouldn't want to come back from the dead on their 71st birthday at the spot where their dad was murdered?

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.