As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chicken [Coup]

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The Q crazies were in Dallas again waiting for JFK/ Jr. to show.

I mean it only makes sense

Who wouldn't want to come back from the dead on their 71st birthday at the spot where their dad was murdered?

And then take a VP slot on the most illiberal ticket possible.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yeah reports in early 2020 showed Trumpland putting purchase prices on OAN and Newsmax at $300m and $200m respectively

This probably wasn’t related to their actual value or assets but a grab at “getting out” as it were

wbBv3fj.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The Q crazies were in Dallas again waiting for JFK/ Jr. to show.

Fine, I will update the OP with a link to the Conspiracy Theories Thread. I think that's a better place to discuss the current shenanigan's of Q Anon.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    OAN was initially funded by AT&T because they wanted more fash propaganda (literally) to make it seem like their cable offering had a very wide breadth of rightward content, which would help them sell to more people, even to, I’m assuming, some “liberals” who want to feel good that there’s a lot of voices and opinions out there

Learning this made me really want to drop AT&T as our cell provider. It's maddening that there's no "helped start a coup" clause in our contract with the fuckers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Depending on how hard those stations get hit, you have to ask yourself what right-wing donor would be willing to foot the bill for keeping them afloat.

Fox can and will survive this, but on because they're a juggernaut and they need at least one 100% brainworm pipeline for their screeds.

Also, is it worth bailing out One America News, when you could instead pour your millions into creating America First News instead? (Or just create a holding company and buy out the brand in the bankruptcy liquidation sale.) Like, there are ways to pour a hundred million dollars into a right-wing "news" outlets without shoveling a dumptruck full of cash at Dominion.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    OAN was initially funded by AT&T because they wanted more fash propaganda (literally) to make it seem like their cable offering had a very wide breadth of rightward content, which would help them sell to more people, even to, I’m assuming, some “liberals” who want to feel good that there’s a lot of voices and opinions out there

Learning this made me really want to drop AT&T as our cell provider. It's maddening that there's no "helped start a coup" clause in our contract with the fuckers.

OAN gets 90% of its revenue from AT&T subscribers

I learned this from the social media thread- AT&T (which is gladly back to giving money to the coup caucusers and remember just offered Trump a fuckton of money for naked bribery right after he was elected) is glad for Facebook to facetank everyone’s hatred for its impact on the world so they can keep molding US politics back into some gilded-age bullshit where they can get their monopoly on again

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Depending on how hard those stations get hit, you have to ask yourself what right-wing donor would be willing to foot the bill for keeping them afloat.

Fox can and will survive this, but on because they're a juggernaut and they need at least one 100% brainworm pipeline for their screeds.

Just close up shop on that name, and roll out a new one with all the same people bankrolling it

steam_sig.png
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Drop it when your contract runs out. And email them telling them why.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I wanted to drop them as an internet provider but they are the only ones with fiber in my area. Otherwise it's back to cable and Spectrum which is like dumping the devil for a deal with the devil's son.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Along with the news which dropped how he's been subpoenaed for the committee, I'm expecting Jones' rhetoric re:give me money to be taken up a few notches.

But until then, enjoy a few moments of well deserved schadenfreude as you read about how Alex Jones is begging for money to pay for all the default judgements in the Sandy Hook lawsuits.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Along with the news which dropped how he's been subpoenaed for the committee, I'm expecting Jones' rhetoric re:give me money to be taken up a few notches.

But until then, enjoy a few moments of well deserved schadenfreude as you read about how Alex Jones is begging for money to pay for all the default judgements in the Sandy Hook lawsuits.
    Isn't Alex Jones always getting weird with the Sovereign Cits and them suing everyone?

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Every time I see a picture of Jones he looks 30 seconds from a massive coronary. There's no way he plans to ever pay out any of those lawsuits, and he's already lost his wife and kids in the divorce. I wonder if this is one last grift before he vanishes in the night to a foreign country with no extradition treaty.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Every time I see a picture of Jones he looks 30 seconds from a massive coronary. There's no way he plans to ever pay out any of those lawsuits, and he's already lost his wife and kids in the divorce. I wonder if this is one last grift before he vanishes in the night to a foreign country with no extradition treaty.

Jones is Chasing the dragon; like he could have probably retired a decade ago but I’m positive he’s too addicted to the attention that he gets by spewing incoherent nonsense.

Gaddez on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Jones is Chasing the dragon; like he could have probably retired a decade ago but I’m positive he’s too addicted to the attention that he gets by spewing incoherent nonsense.

Maybe he could have retired at his apex but Jones has probably blown most of his money on lawyers and stupid shit like armored vehicles. He craves the attention but he needs the grift too.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I think this is probably the most appropriate thread for this, but a whole bunch of white supramacist militia organizational just lost their court case for a criminal conspiracy, in regards to their actions at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, NC, in 2017.

The league of the South, vanguard America, Identity Evropa, Nationalist Socalist Movement, Traditional Workers Party were all named as part of the conspiracy in the lawsuit and all parties were found guilty, along with a dozen+ individual organizers.

Total damages in the civil lawsuit come out to somewhere north of $25 million.

Edit: Charlottesville, Virginia, not NC

Burtletoy on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    They acted as their own representative and did it really, really badly if this is the trial I'm thinking of. Note this though:

Jury note reads: "We have unaniumously decided on claims 3,4,5,6. ... We are deadlocked on 1 and 2. ... We do not believe this will change."
    Claims 1 and 2 are the biggest ones in the case.

Claim 1 is 'Did plaintiffs prove defendants engaged in a conspiracy to commit racially motivated violence?'

Claim 2 is 'Did plaintiffs prove defendants had knowledge of the conspiracy and fail to prevent it from taking place?'

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    And in more news, the Jan 6th Commission is issuing some more subpoena's.

BREAKING: The Select Committee subpoenas individuals and organizations linked to the violent attack on the Capitol:
    • Proud Boys International, L.L.C.
    • Henry “Enrique” Tarrio
    • Oath Keepers
    • Elmer Stewart Rhodes
    • Robert Patrick Lewis/1st Amendment Praetorian

We'll see how many of them try and fight them.

edited November 2021
    Given how easily they went after banon I wouldn’t want to test congress as some asshole who refers to themselves as a”praetorian”.

Gaddez on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Given how easily they went after banon I wouldn’t want to test congress as some asshole who refers to themselves as a”praetorian”.

If there wasn't a massive time crunch, I'd want to see these dickheads argue "executive priveledge", just to see the prosecution and judge tear them to pieces.

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    These guys still really only need to buy maybe 6 months time

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Drop it when your contract runs out. And email them telling them why.

I mean, sure. But I don't want them to have my money anymore, so now I gotta wait a few more months.

It's fine. Just annoying and not fine.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i thought tarrio wasn't allowed to be there

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Tweeter seems to be from MSNBC.

I will have significant extended family over on Thursday and I don’t think any of them were dumb enough or true believer enough to have been there, but if they were… I’m telling the fbi before they back out if the driveway.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I think this is probably the most appropriate thread for this, but a whole bunch of white supramacist militia organizational just lost their court case for a criminal conspiracy, in regards to their actions at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, NC, in 2017.

The league of the South, vanguard America, Identity Evropa, Nationalist Socalist Movement, Traditional Workers Party were all named as part of the conspiracy in the lawsuit and all parties were found guilty, along with a dozen+ individual organizers.

Total damages in the civil lawsuit come out to somewhere north of $25 million.

Edit: Charlottesville, Virginia, not NC

That's how they defunded the KKK, by suing them to hell in civil court. Hope it's a repeat here.

Sorce wrote: »

Best part of the article?

He was wearing a Michael Jackson “bad” jacket.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm region-blocked from reading that. Any chance of some choice quotes?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm region-blocked from reading that. Any chance of some choice quotes?

The article.
    ORLANDO, Fla. —
    An Orlando man performing as Judas in the touring production of "Jesus Christ Superstar" has been arrested on charges connected to Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

The Department of Justice arrested 49-year-old James Beeks on charges of obstruction of Congress and unlawfully entering a restricted building or grounds. Beeks was arrested in Milwaukee but has since been released pending further court proceedings.

Officials said Beeks, who is affiliated with the Oath Keepers, marched into the Capitol grounds around 2:30 p.m. and up the east steps outside the Rotunda doors. Court documents say that Beeks was part of the mob of people who breached the Capitol, with some people attacking law enforcement.

The group Beeks was in tried to push their way through a line of law enforcement officers guarding a hallway that led to the Senate chamber, documents say.

His group got together in the Rotunda after being pushed back by officers, and left the building around 3:04 p.m., documents say.

Officials said Beeks was wearing a Michael Jackson “Bad” world tour jacket, a black helmet and carrying what, documents say, appeared to be a homemade shield, unlike the camouflage combat gear others were wearing.

So far, 675 people have been arrested for crimes related to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, including 210 people charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement officers.

Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit tips.fbi.gov.

sig.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was hoping that the article would confirm whether he was betrayed by one of the others

Come on, Universe, you've already given up all pretence of not being a hack

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    How much leeway do judges have with sentencing? I'd be tempted to just fine him 30 pieces of silver (or the modern day equivalent, adjusted for inflation).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    How much leeway do judges have with sentencing? I'd be tempted to just fine him 30 pieces of silver (or the modern day equivalent, adjusted for inflation).

Depends on the state, usually there is a minimum and maximum sentence with a dollar amount maximum so the judge could say 30 pieces of silver, and assuming that each piece of silver is 11 grams. With a modern value of 76 cents a gram. That is 250 dollars and 80 cent fine and 7 days of community service.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Or he could be forced to live out the rest of Judas' life, which ends with a hanging.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Or he could be forced to live out the rest of Judas' life, which ends with a hanging.

And then he becomes a vampire. I don’t think that part is biblical cannon though.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »

And then he becomes a vampire. I don’t think that part is biblical cannon though.
    Thank you for reminding me of Dracula 2000.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited November 2021
    The Colorado Rapids have nothing to do with the coup. Not even tangentially, the only coup is the number one MLS seed.

zepherin on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Stephen K. Bannon files motion to request all documents in court case be made public
    “Members of the public should make their own independent judgment as to whether the U.S. Department of Justice is committed to a just result based upon all the facts,” said a statement provided to The Washington Post on behalf of Bannon. “In the opposition filed today, Mr. Bannon asked the judge to follow the normal process and allow unfettered access to and use of the documents.”

sig.gif
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Stephen K. Bannon files motion to request all documents in court case be made public
    “Members of the public should make their own independent judgment as to whether the U.S. Department of Justice is committed to a just result based upon all the facts,” said a statement provided to The Washington Post on behalf of Bannon. “In the opposition filed today, Mr. Bannon asked the judge to follow the normal process and allow unfettered access to and use of the documents.”

So... what's his game here? The way I see it, there's two possible reasons.

1) He's going full martyr, hoping that the committee won't want to reveal stuff that might affect other cases/charges. I mean, they've surely got shit on Meadows, and everyone else, and if this trial is allowed to be "open book", they can mitigate stuff before it happens.

2) He's trying to force a syntax error. At least one court has disallowed the records he likely wants, pending appeal. So if the committee is required to release them, they're in breach of a different court order, and if they don't, "they're hiding something".

I mean, we know he's playing a game. Because if he was all about the transparency, he would have fronted the fucking committee in the first place.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It might be he wants other people in the crosshairs to know what the DoJ has on them

Fencingsax on
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It might be he wants other people in the crosshairs to know what the DoJ has on them

That and delay, delay, delay. There's no doubt that the committee has tens if not hundred of thousands of pages. Someone is going to have sift through all of that, see what can and cannot be released, and then gin up even more documentation for why. This could potentially take years to get through.

Meanwhile, the court will reasonably deny this request and tell him to get on with it. In doing so, he'll get to claim to be the victim of the system and that the system is hiding things from people. Which is a standard line for his sort of conspiring mongering jackass.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That and delay, delay, delay. There's no doubt that the committee has tens if not hundred of thousands of pages. Someone is going to have sift through all of that, see what can and cannot be released, and then gin up even more documentation for why. This could potentially take years to get through.

Meanwhile, the court will reasonably deny this request and tell him to get on with it. In doing so, he'll get to claim to be the victim of the system and that the system is hiding things from people. Which is a standard line for his sort of conspiring mongering jackass.

I think this is the most likely reason. Bannon isn’t a true believer and cares more about getting himself out of it than protecting anyone else. Delay, hope congress eventually flips, and walk away.

This discussion has been closed.