As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    What are the 12 maps? Because I feel like I never see half of those. For big team it feels like 3 maps.

I think that's correct, as far as maps that can handle big team games go.

I'll be damned if I can't think of only three or four more that I've seen in smaller games, though. But that might be on me being forgetful right now.

Edit: Just looked it up, there are actually 10 maps currently in game. Three for big team, seven for everything else.

Yeah that's unfortunate, it's the mode I'm enjoying the most right now. Quickplay is alright but I haven't dipped into ranked at all. And for Quickplay I can probably single out 4 maps (indoor map, outdoor city map at night, outdoor city map at day, bigger outdoor CTF map with banshee spawn)

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think the only map I don't like is the Desert CTF one with the sniper rifle spawn on either side of the middle.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think the only map I don't like is the Desert CTF one with the sniper rifle spawn on either side of the middle.

I dunno I don't mind that one if only because I tend to get most of my wins there...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm trying to think of the map I dislike the most and if anything its the interior map that feels like a docking bay? You play oddball and stronghold there and what I dislike is it favors melee weapons and I'm always seemingly getting sworded or grav hammered

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I tried this out even tho the halo multiplayer has never really been my thing. Quite enjoyable, tho I likely won’t be playing it long term.

and I do like that it’s a perfectly agreeable option when having a fire fight to end it by both punching each other unconscious at the same time. Happened like twice in my first game

Prohass on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    That's like the staple Halo equalizer. Other player has the drop on you but you can always go for the melee and knock each other out.

Still having a hardtime tracking players, even something like Apex I find it much easier to keep the reticle on the player and I didn't play that game seriously.

Dixon on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I really am loving this but I guess I feel like as much fun as I'm having I want to know why season 1 is 6 months

Like they mentioned their reasons but at the same time I guess I don't feel like as a live service game they really explained anything? I don't understand what is coming down the pipe other then some samurai armor and some other names events.

I guess what I want to know is what are we expecting every season aside from new cosmetics on the battle pass I gotta pay quarterly for.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Jesus I'm bad at this. Like "uninstall the game and kill yourself" bad

How do I stop being so bad at this?

sXXjb1B.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Go back in time 20 years?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    What specifically feels like a block for you? I’m no pro but I know enough to maybe smooth the early learning curve a bit

This game has the fastest movement (and shortest radar) of any Halo so I'd say it's tough to get a good grip on situational awareness. Maybe try to listen more for audio queues (also pump that sensitivity up if you need it).

Halo just feels better on a controller but it also has the least aim assist of any Halo

I guess the better starting point is; have you played a halo game before? What other shooters have you played?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Make use of the tutorial features, play quick matches, and don't worry too much about results. It takes awhile to get your skills up even in the best of cases. None of this matters, so just have fun.

Mostly don't feel the need to finish every fight you get into, and when you get close go for the melee, most of the time at worst you'll trade.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I just fucking suck at the shooting part.

I played a lot of the first three games like 15 to 20 years ago and haven't really kept up with the series post-3, so it's understandable that I'm a little rusty. I did play through the first 3 campaigns with the MCC this past year, so I'm not starting from nothing. However, I've been playing this basically nonstop for the past few days and continue to suck. It's not just rust. I think I've just forgotten how to play a regular shooter.

I've been playing with a controller because that's how you're supposed to fucking play Halo, but I simply can't land hits worth a damn and I'm tired of getting my head lasered off by these kbam users and their standard pistols. Should I just switch to kbam?

sXXjb1B.png
    KBAM is decent enough. I think there are aspects of the game that segregate based on control scheme, but I haven't explored them. Personally I often have a bad K/D ratio, but get into a proper spree every once in awhile.

Just got my first Skyjack, by jumping from one wasp to an enemy wasp, and oh gosh that felt good, even if I ended up with a 14% accuracy rate at the end of the map. :p

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Never chase anyone (I still fuck this up sometimes)

If the game type supports it, pick an area to patrol and hang around. Or at least move with your team. Wait to catch folks out of cover.

Always keep yourself positioned near cover when you start a fight so that you can walk away if it isn’t going your way.

If someone decides to chase you, make sure they’re stepping on a grenade as they turn that corner.

I’m assuming you’re cruising around with the AR or the BR. You probably won’t win many 2v1s unless you get a decent grenade in there. Try to pick off 1 for a trade or just run.

Learn the maps and the routes. I don’t do this as well/much as I should, but it’s important.

Never chase anyone.

Just saw your latest post. If you’re having issues landing hits, have you tried turning your sensitivity down? Like, way down. This will force your play style to change, as in you can’t afford to let folks get behind you. Stand up fight, though? Easy dome shots. You also have some options to adjust your zoom sensitivities.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    It’s hardly the end of the world, but I do miss the way MCC would let you strictly matchmake based on input, that would be nice to have in Infinite’s social queues too. I’m sure there are times when KBAM players have legitimate gripes about controller aim assist, as well as when controller players have legitimate gripes about mouses turning faster and whatnot.

mosssnack is dead on with a lot of that advice.

I would also recommend doing a YouTube search on the weapons in the game; I didn’t know what half the new shit did until I did so. Weapon drills probably also help in that respect. Just knowing shit like “the cindershot is always gonna bounce on first surface impact” made that weapon go from useless to deadly for me. Also apparently the mangler is brutal as a shoot/melee combo gun? I learned that by watching HCS last night.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have no idea what half these guns do. Good thing I can punch people.

Overshield and sword is a good time btw.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't see how people are struggling with the guns when there's a drill mode for every gun right there in the menu. Sure, weapon challenges might be a pain simply for being unable to find a gun to complete them, but there's no reason to wait until your in a match to see what any given gun does.

It's not a complex drill mode, but it's quite good for learning the various traits of the various guns and what kind of target they're best against. Pretty helpful to know which guns are good at hitting people moving at which angles.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    @Kaboodles_The_Assassin if you're interested you can select controller only matches in the Competitive playlist.

Yeah, don't see how people are struggling with the guns when there's a drill mode for every gun right there in the menu. Sure, weapon challenges might be a pain simply for being unable to find a gun to complete them, but there's no reason to wait until your in a match to see what any given gun does.

It's not a complex drill mode, but it's quite good for learning the various traits of the various guns and what kind of target they're best against. Pretty helpful to know which guns are good at hitting people moving at which angles.

I expect most people just don't use the drill mode. Some are of the guns are also so visually similar that you don't know what you picked up.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The drill mode didn't work when I first tried it the other day when I was achievement hunting, but the guns all have different mechanics and reticles so I figured out how they work from trial and error (remember that aiming switches modes for some guns)

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The heatwave seems to be a nasty gun in the right hands and the sort of thing I'd like to see a shotgun doing. The actual shotgun, on the other hand, has definitely suffered the same fate as all post-Halo-CE shotgun: reaches about twenty feet, then does nothing whatsoever. I'd far, far prefer they make it a one-shot at only extreme close range (and maybe not even then) and do something like double the effective range, as opposed to where it's at now where it goes from one-shot-kill to one-shot you shields to doing nothing. A space shotgun should not be hurling handfuls of spitballs at thirty feet.

I actually kinda like the sandbox changes but I need to practice a lot with the newer guns. The BR being a bit slower this game actually means other guns can shine.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Heatwave and mangler are my two favorites right now. Mangler is straight nasty if you hit your shots or can set up a quick shot/melee situation

I don’t like ctf with strangers and absolutely can’t stand one flag with strangers. I’m not a quit out of game person normally but if I get one flag I bounce. It just feels bad to play other than the small burst of fun if you do manage to capture. But most of it is misery

616610-1.png
    That's a shame because I love CTF with a team of friends. We'll have to get a mega group going this week.

I actually kinda like the sandbox changes but I need to practice a lot with the newer guns. The BR being a bit slower this game actually means other guns can shine.

I was surprised to find out this change and very glad of it. The BR is still a powerful mid-long weapon, but the slower fire rate means it's far from the premiere, tedious go-to weapon. Everybody now has a little more time to react to the hits and it feels a lot less like a minor variation on the old CE pistol and more like a unique weapon. You really have to nail each of those three bursts to be sure of bringing somebody down, one miss out of nine bullets and they might have time to get away now.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Here's another thing I hate about Halo Infinite: the Hydra sucks! It's a homing rocket launcher... that sucks! I don't believe anyone on the planet has ever gotten a single kill with it! It takes effort to make a gun that cool on paper that bad in practice

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I've been having a lot of fun with the 'training mode' bot matches.
    It's great for warming up and learning the maps / weapons, but also for simply practising the shoot mans part.

There's no actual match timer or score limit (maybe you can specify in the options, not sure), but I've found it surprisingly fun.
    If you want to practice the weapons and the weapon drills are too dry, then I'd recommend checking out the training mode as well.

hemmelight on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    hemmelight wrote: »
    I've been having a lot of fun with the 'training mode' bot matches.
    It's great for warming up and learning the maps / weapons, but also for simply practising the shoot mans part.

There's no actual match timer or score limit (maybe you can specify in the options, not sure), but I've found it surprisingly fun.
    If you want to practice the weapons and the weapon drills are too dry, then I'd recommend checking out the training mode as well.

Bot matches are excellent. Cannot reccomend them enough as a warm up tool.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It’s funny, cause I only ever used the Hydra a bit when a buddy would bring his Xbox over and we’d do some halo 5 mp…and I hated it.

But I really like it in Infinite, and not because they made it better but honestly I think they just made all weapons kind of the same in terms of effectiveness.

Sure rockets are still objectively better then other weapons but it isn’t at the same level as it was in past Halo’s. The splash is way tuned down comparatively.

The shotgun takes 3 shots now! The Sniper is much harder to be effective with because the game is faster.

They also made terrible weapons much better, both the AR and Pistol slap, going up against a BR user and it’s not nearly as daunting.

Everyone is def right about the chasing though, never chase. Always try to get them to chase. Nades and fusion coils are the light.

Dixon on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

My only criticism for drill mode is that everything takes place over a flat surface, whereas a large proportion of firefights will contain some degree of verticality that the current shooting range just doesn't replicate. Versus bots is probably the more practical option for learning maps and weapon drops

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I feel like KB+M players have a disadvantage. Given you need to track your shots, having aim-assist would be a huge bonus.

camo_sig2.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The drills are good for learning the weapons mechanics. Like it taught me to never use the sentinel beam or ravanger

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    The sentinel beam can at least kill with a good aim. The ravager? I guess the blade on it is kinda cool.

New event is live but I don't know what a fiesta match is and there is no match making for them?

pleasepaypreacher.net