As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This game has sooo many systems. >.<

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    This game has sooo many systems. >.<

Yeah but I dunno it never feels that hard to grasp and player level is literally just spins and accolades so its not like being a higher level means anything more than "Played a lot" or "afk'd a lot"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    You gain xp for every event/or stunt you do and cash for every race, and if you’re feeli truly overwhelmed, look for that “new” signifier on events and go from there.

The rest of the game follows from that concept.

• Options
    Also for anyone working on the van's and utility challenge, an El Camino counts... And its a sexy ride, so sexy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also for anyone working on the van's and utility challenge, an El Camino counts... And its a sexy ride, so sexy.

I got that one with a stock delivery van! :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm using one of those Ford delivery vans and I tuned it up a bit (I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, I just made numbers go up so it's bit faster and controls way better) and it's not fast but it makes cornering much easier.

I also turned off all the assists except automatic shifting and the blue line, and I really like how it feels. Though braking and turning is taking some time to get used to, since it seems like I can't turn while braking. Is that correct? Do I let off the gas, tap the brake early, let off the brake, and then slowly press the gas/tap the gas rapidly while turning?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Oooh man, the accolades for beating "Unbeatable" drivatars. You folks are already so hard! And then there's a 10 point challenge in the festival that has to be done as a team, wtf!?

So funny story about that challenge, it’s one of those where you get 100 pts for each car you beat and the AI get 100 pts for each car they beat. Since the race was so hard my entire team quit. This worked in my favor, because i was able to scrape 3rd place or so each time, so I won because the computer was only able to get 200-300 pts per race!

• Options
    Yeah the team challenges get easier as people drop out of the race because then you don't have afk'rs giving the enemy team points.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm using one of those Ford delivery vans and I tuned it up a bit (I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, I just made numbers go up so it's bit faster and controls way better) and it's not fast but it makes cornering much easier.

I also turned off all the assists except automatic shifting and the blue line, and I really like how it feels. Though braking and turning is taking some time to get used to, since it seems like I can't turn while braking. Is that correct? Do I let off the gas, tap the brake early, let off the brake, and then slowly press the gas/tap the gas rapidly while turning?

As a very very veeeeeery general rule, it's good practice to not brake during a turn, but if at all possible brake/shed speed before entry, then use your throttle to adjust/increase speed as you go through and exit.

Not a video game thing, that; actual driving thing. Speed/throttle through curve directly interacts with grip, understeer, oversteer, stability... You name it. You can feel it yourself on something like a freeway interchange. You've generally got a long, not too sharp curve to go through; as you move through the curve, you can actually add throttle to have a more-stable feeling turn.

Now add the proper aero on a race car? You've got a vehicle that's sad if you're not going fast enough.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

If you lock your brakes (and wheels), you lose cornering because your wheels are now just sliding blocks. Try feathering them more. Brake a lot less than you think. ABS is what fixes this for you, in a real car it keeps you from locking your wheels so you maintain rolling friction (what tires and most things perform better with) rather than using sliding friction where youre just tearing one strip of rubber off

On my controller, I like 60% brake pressure in A class, it's still super easy to lock up and gives me more control I feel. Stupid Xbox triggers are loooose.

Tumin on
  • Options
    Yeah the team challenges get easier as people drop out of the race because then you don't have afk'rs giving the enemy team points.

This is how I won the thunderdome thing. The event says just to complete it, so we were a team of 4-5 against a lone punching bag and we all got the credit. :)

• Options
    Yeah the team battles thankfully are just participate.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Tumin wrote: »

If you lock your brakes (and wheels), you lose cornering because your wheels are now just sliding blocks. Try feathering them more. Brake a lot less than you think. ABS is what fixes this for you, in a real car it keeps you from locking your wheels so you maintain rolling friction (what tires and most things perform better with) rather than using sliding friction where youre just tearing one strip of rubber off

On my controller, I like 60% brake pressure in A class, it's still super easy to lock up and gives me more control I feel. Stupid Xbox triggers are loooose.

Huh, you may wanna look at the calibration thingers. Admittedly I'm on an Elite 2, not standard controller, but I can feather the hell out of my brakes, and can lock up even w/ ABS* on; I thought they were nicely sensitive.

*Er, I maybe have it on. I've got one of TCM and ABS on, but can't remember which now.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Huh, you may wanna look at the calibration thingers. Admittedly I'm on an Elite 2, not standard controller, but I can feather the hell out of my brakes, and can lock up even w/ ABS* on; I thought they were nicely sensitive.

*Er, I maybe have it on. I've got one of TCM and ABS on, but can't remember which now.

I'm on an Elite 2 as well, it's pretty fuckin nice 👍🏻

Unrelated to that though, is there a way to get better at turning? Like, I haven't played many racing games since the SNES days, and the few I had were on PC using the keyboard so I'm using to digital "all or nothing" steering. Tapping the shit out of left or right if I want to gently turn, that sort of thing. Not only that, I'm mostly a PC KBAM player so I'm really not used to using controllers in general. It makes it hard for me to gently turn, especially when I'm in a super fast car at very high speed. Is it just something I'll get better at over time, or is there a trick to it?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Unrelated to that though, is there a way to get better at turning? Like, I haven't played many racing games since the SNES days, and the few I had were on PC using the keyboard so I'm using to digital "all or nothing" steering. Tapping the shit out of left or right if I want to gently turn, that sort of thing. Not only that, I'm mostly a PC KBAM player so I'm really not used to using controllers in general. It makes it hard for me to gently turn, especially when I'm in a super fast car at very high speed. Is it just something I'll get better at over time, or is there a trick to it?

I think it's harder in FH5 than it was in the last FM I played, but... Nope, it's why I would REALLY REALLY like a wheel and sim pit. Just gotta ease it, especially on road races. On dirt/grass you can actually get by with flicking fairly well, since in the right car, you're only maintaining a passing acquaintance with the ground as is.

I'm considering adjusting the sensitivity a touch, or the response curve or w/e you need to tweak to make me have a little better time, but yeah, controllers are just kinda hard IME.

• Options
    Whatever you do don't set the controls to "california driver" because braking becomes impossible and you can barely stay on the road.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Whatever you do don't set the controls to "california driver" because braking becomes impossible and you can barely stay on the road.

Sounds like my copy of the game had that on by default

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Cross-country: Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

To be honest, I’ve probably put thousands of hours into Forza/Gran Turismo over the years and I still mostly steer by tapping the analogs back and forth.

Part of horizon’s learning curve is that despite being mostly arcadey, the physics is still based on Forza Motorsport’s sim engine, so you have to treat the cars as if they were real (to an extent.). In racing, the rule for turns is “slow in, fast out.” You want to brake early for turns and accelerate through the second half of the turn. The reason is simple: straight sections are generally longer than turns, and every mph faster you can exit the turn with is 1 mph faster you can carry for the entire straight section. Trying to dive bomb into a turn really fast and braking late will let you catch up in the turn, but causes you to fall behind as the other cars accelerate while you have to brake.

Couple other tips:

- you can use light gas/brake inputs to help steer the car. Light braking will shift more weight to the front tires, letting you steer in faster. Light throttle will shift weight to the rear, pushing the car wide. Try holding the steering at full lock and playing with this as a way to get smoother fine control.

- the Xbox controller has rumble motors under each trigger, and Forza makes brilliant use of this by using them to indicate wheel slip. Instead of slamming the trigger down, try smoothly pulling it down until you feel vibration, and hold it there - you have the fastest acceleration and most control when you have just a hint of wheel spin. I found delicate throttle control to be a lot easier to learn than delicate steering control.

• Options
    Sounds like the only cure to my awful driving is experience gained over time (and the knowledge of basic physics as applied to racing, thanks y'all)

If only there was something easier I could do to stop my opponents from winning. Something like a red shell I could throw at them... 🤔

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Sounds like the only cure to my awful driving is experience gained over time (and the knowledge of basic physics as applied to racing, thanks y'all)

If only there was something easier I could do to stop my opponents from winning. Something like a red shell I could throw at them... 🤔

Oooh, I can do that! It was really fun in some of the online team battles to act as an enforcer and try to knock around the other team / the drivatars, to give those with actual skill a better shot at winning.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    If the drivatars can defy the game's engine as they do, it's only fair!

• Options
    Did two expeditions this morning neither counted for the daily fantastic.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Did two expeditions this morning neither counted for the daily fantastic.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It seems to be the same bug where if you don't update your stats somehow, you don't get credit. Looking forward, I'm suddenly glad I have some story missions to complete.

• Options
    Honestly I don't think they should ever require either expeditions or story stuff to be redone for a daily because both of those are kind of locked and sort of boring to do again. Showcases can at least be run in a ghost mode for something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I get it as encouragement to have players try it out. But I agree. The main story stuff doesn't need promoting unless they remix it.

• Options
    I get it as encouragement to have players try it out. But I agree. The main story stuff doesn't need promoting unless they remix it.

Yeah if there was something new to do sure, but there isn't its literally "do something you probably did first out."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Double reminder that we have Tuesday and Thursday night funzies races at 9 PM ET.
    You can ping Eclibull (Bloodshed on here) or me "CommunistCows" on xblive.

All skill levels welcome.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Ah, to add to the earlier pair of Upgrade/Tuning videos, HokiHoshi just put out a Rally/Offroad video:
    https://youtu.be/UzInaOtv6e8

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Oh, I thought rally and cross country were the same thing. I guess that's why there's so much pavement in the dirt races

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Oh, I thought rally and cross country were the same thing. I guess that's why there's so much pavement in the dirt races

There's "Forza Horizon Dirt" (aka between 50% to 90% pavement, most Default Dirt routes fall into this), Rally (mostly created routes, there are a few good rally routes in the defaults) and Cross Country (chuck yourself down a mountain and over the hills).

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m so confused by dailies, half the time they don’t unlock. It says do an expedition, so I do one, doesn’t unlock. Is there some specific detail I’m missing?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m so confused by dailies, half the time they don’t unlock. It says do an expedition, so I do one, doesn’t unlock. Is there some specific detail I’m missing?

No this one just feels literally busted.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Sorry if any of this has already been touched on -- first time in the thread, and there are a LOT of posts, but nothing I could see on this page, at least -- but is anyone else having trouble with Anna?

I tell her "I need Accolades," she'll say there's something nearby and she's "plotting my route now," and... nothing. So I'm on my own.

I have an unchecked task on the left side saying "Complete the 'Off the Beaten Trial' chapter of Test Driver: Horizon Wilds", but I don't know where to find that. I go to Horizon Wilds under Horizon Adventure on the menu, but don't see anything like that there.

Edit: Okay, I literally just now happened across this one on the map by pure chance.

Finally, I see I need to do some PR Stunts to unlock ramps to allow me to smash some boards, but I can't seem to do that -- the first Horizon Rush line up, Canyon Expedition, is checked, but the other two are locked.

All together, I feel like this stuff is slowing me down a bit.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    mRahmani wrote: »

To be honest, I’ve probably put thousands of hours into Forza/Gran Turismo over the years and I still mostly steer by tapping the analogs back and forth.

Part of horizon’s learning curve is that despite being mostly arcadey, the physics is still based on Forza Motorsport’s sim engine, so you have to treat the cars as if they were real (to an extent.). In racing, the rule for turns is “slow in, fast out.” You want to brake early for turns and accelerate through the second half of the turn. The reason is simple: straight sections are generally longer than turns, and every mph faster you can exit the turn with is 1 mph faster you can carry for the entire straight section. Trying to dive bomb into a turn really fast and braking late will let you catch up in the turn, but causes you to fall behind as the other cars accelerate while you have to brake.

Couple other tips:

- you can use light gas/brake inputs to help steer the car. Light braking will shift more weight to the front tires, letting you steer in faster. Light throttle will shift weight to the rear, pushing the car wide. Try holding the steering at full lock and playing with this as a way to get smoother fine control.

- the Xbox controller has rumble motors under each trigger, and Forza makes brilliant use of this by using them to indicate wheel slip. Instead of slamming the trigger down, try smoothly pulling it down until you feel vibration, and hold it there - you have the fastest acceleration and most control when you have just a hint of wheel spin. I found delicate throttle control to be a lot easier to learn than delicate steering control.
    Another thing that might help is pushing your stick to the top of the circle, before moving it left and right. Many controller players swear by it, because moving it against the top of the circle can give you finer control than trying to just hold your thumb perfectly 24% left or whatever. I still end up doing mostly holding it with some wiggling though, like mRahmani (I've also spent heaps of hours playing racing games over the years).

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    Sorry if any of this has already been touched on -- first time in the thread, and there are a LOT of posts, but nothing I could see on this page, at least -- but is anyone else having trouble with Anna?

I tell her "I need Accolades," she'll say there's something nearby and she's "plotting my route now," and... nothing. So I'm on my own.

I have an unchecked task on the left side saying "Complete the 'Off the Beaten Trial' chapter of Test Driver: Horizon Wilds", but I don't know where to find that. I go to Horizon Wilds under Horizon Adventure on the menu, but don't see anything like that there.

Edit: Okay, I literally just now happened across this one on the map by pure chance.

Finally, I see I need to do some PR Stunts to unlock ramps to allow me to smash some boards, but I can't seem to do that -- the first Horizon Rush line up, Canyon Expedition, is checked, but the other two are locked.

All together, I feel like this stuff is slowing me down a bit.

I can't speak to Anna (don't use it myself), but the best way to find stuff is using map filters. I think it's one of the bumpers when you have the map up.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Thank you all so much for having me along tonight. :) I don't know if it'll become a regular thing (so many people do things on Tuesdays and Thursdays), but I know I had a blast. It was nice to play something online that wasn't toxic - between this and Among Us, it feels nice.

Unfortunately, some of the pictures I snapped didn't actually save, apparently. I think I took them and then missed a button prompt. I'll need to look into that more. And also look into how to map the star button on my SN30+ Pro to be a capture button.

The recommendation of using the paddles on an Elite controller for your horn came from.. I think Achievement Hunter, as Matt there would do that -- and keep his horns in GTA5 running constantly.

Also I suspect I need to dive down the rabbit hole of tuning. If, for no other reason, than to name my tuning setups myself so I can quickly switch to cars/ setups to match such varied race types. :)

Athenor on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »

No this one just feels literally busted.

Oh hey, it is!
    Festival Playlist - Cannot complete season PR stunts in a lower class car. Players may get an 'Incorrect Car for Seasonal Objective' notification in this case. (Date Added:11.23.21)
    Festival Playlist - Series 1 - Crowd-pleaser Daily challenge does not unlock unless the player completes a showcase event they have never done before
    Festival Playlist - Series 1 - The Explorer Daily challenge does not unlock unless the player completes a showcase event they have never done before (Date Added:11.23.21)

https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/4409616884883-FH5-Known-Issues

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man the arcade mode is still not really working. I’m getting some rounds with a few people but most is still 1 other person. It’s just nuts I don’t understand how these modes don’t just pool the entire player base?

• Options
    edited November 2021

Oh hey, it is!

Festival Playlist - Cannot complete season PR stunts in a lower class car. Players may get an 'Incorrect Car for Seasonal Objective' notification in this case. (Date Added:11.23.21)
    Festival Playlist - Series 1 - Crowd-pleaser Daily challenge does not unlock unless the player completes a showcase event they have never done before
    Festival Playlist - Series 1 - The Explorer Daily challenge does not unlock unless the player completes a showcase event they have never done before (Date Added:11.23.21)

https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/4409616884883-FH5-Known-Issues

Are you shitting me? I thought this whole time it just meant "exactly A800". Swear to god...

dporowski on