As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I do love these stackable Factory blue prints that a dude on reddit makes. Here is a Pure Caterium Factory. this is the user, OldShavingFoam's Google Drive with his different designs. LINK

s5mib8d9a1181.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, his (her?) stuff is fantastic.

I tend to riff of their designs whenever I’m making a factory - I almost always do Refinery Towers, ferinstance.

• Options
    I enjoy writing out bills of materials. I decided off the top of my head to do 5 smart motors a minute. I guessed lucky and it just about exactly consumes the resources I can extract on a node basis, without having to tap extra ones. I wish I had stitched plate, but I don't have to make too many screws, so it won't be bad.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    URgh. Debugging stuff in this game is still really unfun. There needs to be a throughput thing, because finding issues is oof, and the game's design meaning manifolds are your goto means it can take literal hours to find problems.

Also sometimes when you pick up and carry around radioactive material, you end up permanently. radiacotive which is incredibly frustrating.

(THis rant inspired by intentionally leaving my game running while i rested, and came back to find the nuclear waste had clogged... because for some reason a connection had never been made where there should have been one. And now i have to wait to find if there's any other issues.)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    URgh. Debugging stuff in this game is still really unfun. There needs to be a throughput thing, because finding issues is oof, and the game's design meaning manifolds are your goto means it can take literal hours to find problems.

Also sometimes when you pick up and carry around radioactive material, you end up permanently. radiacotive which is incredibly frustrating.

(THis rant inspired by intentionally leaving my game running while i rested, and came back to find the nuclear waste had clogged... because for some reason a connection had never been made where there should have been one. And now i have to wait to find if there's any other issues.)

There is a mod where you can snap a throuput counter to your belts. I bet it gets updated quick once update 5 is pushed to the pre-release branch.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular

The best is when you see mixed items flying down a Mk 5 belt when you know for a fact that there should only be silica on there.

Oh god it splits into three different factories

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »

The best is when you see mixed items flying down a Mk 5 belt when you know for a fact that there should only be silica on there.

That's uh, that's going to be fun to clean up.

@webguy20 got a link?

And while mods are nice this is something that should just be in the game. Heck train stations even do it now!

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Alright. Finished my new Iron alloy and Copper alloy foundries. Each one is making over 2k ingot p/m. Now to build the constructor factories and assembly plants tonight.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options

@webguy20 got a link?

And while mods are nice this is something that should just be in the game. Heck train stations even do it now!

Ill have to look it up. I agree though, should be in the base game. You could add it to the smart or programable splitters.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

@webguy20 got a link?

Ill have to look it up. I agree though, should be in the base game. You could add it to the smart or programable splitters.

It also would be nice if you could use the smart splitter to throttle output, or have a smart merger that prioritizes one input over another.

For the second one, you can have an industrial storage container fill the role, as it always prioritizes the bottom input (or the first one attached? I don't remember), but it'd be nice to not have that sitting around, and the behavior seems like it may be a bug anyway, since it's totally undocumented.

• Options

@webguy20 got a link?

Yeah, I accidentally set one of my silica constructors to quartz crystal. It's unfortunate how hard it is to grab an item off a belt once it's mostly inside the machine. It's not like deleting the belt and redoing it is that hard, fortunately.

• Options

@webguy20 got a link?

Yeah, I accidentally set one of my silica constructors to quartz crystal. It's unfortunate how hard it is to grab an item off a belt once it's mostly inside the machine. It's not like deleting the belt and redoing it is that hard, fortunately.

It is annoying when its in your conveyor lifts going through floors though.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    Does anyone else just skip over using trucks altogether? The time spent setting up finicky routes is better used on pushing towards unlocking trains.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Does anyone else just skip over using trucks altogether? The time spent setting up finicky routes is better used on pushing towards unlocking trains.

Same. Maybe if i started in the grasslands or desert? The rocky dessert and northern forest are too finicky, and everything in the northern forest is close enough together you can get through tier 6 without issues.

I might set some vehicles on paths later to add a bit of vibrancy to the world.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    I just long-belt stuff.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I just long-belt stuff.

I set up a truck to deliver coal and it was simpler than setting up a conveyor belt for it

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I've been playing the same save file since the Steam release, so I have a chaotic mixture of long belts, trucks, and trains. It's a real mess.

I've almost never deconstructed anything either, so its just new inefficient factories built on top of older, even more inefficient factories.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I've been playing the same save file since the Steam release, so I have a chaotic mixture of long belts, trucks, and trains. It's a real mess.

I've almost never deconstructed anything either, so its just new inefficient factories built on top of older, even more inefficient factories.

This is also me. I look back at the first “factory” I built and wonder how I ever got anywhere.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Re: early vehicles: I mostly use them as a way to bring an entire extra inventory’s worth of stuff whenever I’m setting up a satellite location.

They’re mostly one-way vehicles, as it is usually easier to deconstruct them and rebuild them at home than drive them back and forth.

Like, currently, Northern Forest start, and I just set up my first steel production site down by the bay (where the pale-y-berries grow). I did this by packing a tractor full of RIPs, iron plates, cables, wires, and cement. The tractor is still parked over there, and will likely not be driving back up the hill to my main base.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Trucks seem like a neat idea until I have to start thinking about where to fit the truck stations and how to fuel the trucks, and then it's just fuck this run a belt

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Find an elegant way to transport resources?
    Have an organized factory so that outputs cleanly lead to inputs?
    Arrange things so that you don't have to constantly parkour everywhere?

Fuck this run a belt

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Penumbra wrote: »

This is also me. I look back at the first “factory” I built and wonder how I ever got anywhere.

I deconstruct until I get phase 6 unlocked with mk4 belts. Then I start buttoning up everything into actual building and now with signs, labeling the output. They won't ever be touched again. If I need more production I'll go somewhere else.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Re: early vehicles: I mostly use them as a way to bring an entire extra inventory’s worth of stuff whenever I’m setting up a satellite location.

They’re mostly one-way vehicles, as it is usually easier to deconstruct them and rebuild them at home than drive them back and forth.

Like, currently, Northern Forest start, and I just set up my first steel production site down by the bay (where the pale-y-berries grow). I did this by packing a tractor full of RIPs, iron plates, cables, wires, and cement. The tractor is still parked over there, and will likely not be driving back up the hill to my main base.

I know they're cheesy, but hypertube cannons save a lot of drudgery.

• Options
    Also, digging the through-floor pipe and lift holes in this update.

• Options
    Also, digging the through-floor pipe and lift holes in this update.

It solves so many issues. I wouldn't mind getting half block foundations, so I don't have to fiddle with using walkways and stuff. Also full width stairs and ramps, so I don't have to have a railing in the middle.

• Options
    For stairs, I just put a pillar up the middle.

• Options
    For stairs, I just put a pillar up the middle.

Oh I mean the walkway stairs. Yea I do the cube in the middle for the right angle stairs too.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    My Modular Motor factory rises from the Northern Forest! It's only about half as tall as it probably will end up being. I'll probably do final assembly of the other phase 3 complex component as well here. Once I get phase 3 done though, I'll be moving my main base to the desert. I'll be leaving this here feeding the sink until I gear up for phase 4 production.

mqztaz4dq5jb.jpg

Also I thought this shot of my train turn around looked cool. Its all very industrious right here.

kvkb1miyzb58.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options

I def need to experiment with them after this update, but two things have put me off:

One, you still have to route power to the location. A big minus vs trains, which move power for you.
    Two: You actually have to set the damn track up, and that's always seemed a pain.

Trains are well worth the effort though, and i'm genuinely looking foward to rejiggering my train tracks to work in the new stuff.

Also on that note: Freed from the tyranny of power for the foreseeable future, i'm now working on The Grand Rebuild.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false[img][/img]

Goodbye ugly old Plastic and Rubber factory! Time for the shiny new version. This is the starting module, which refines the Oil into HOR. Right now the plastic resin is just being ground down but i have plans for it down the track. 600 Oil becomes 800 HOR. I used overclocking to keep the module small - didn't really want to build 20 fucking Refineries just to handle HOR alone. Gonna have to make enough of em for the actual recycling!

Really pleased with how this looks, and shoutout to @webguy20 for the color details for Warning Yellow.

Gonna try and keep this nice airy look going, because i think it's a winner. I always think things look more interesting when you can see the detail - it's why i struggle with building big buildings in this, because you loose so much detail to them.

• Options

I def need to experiment with them after this update, but two things have put me off:

One, you still have to route power to the location. A big minus vs trains, which move power for you.
    Two: You actually have to set the damn track up, and that's always seemed a pain.

Trains are well worth the effort though, and i'm genuinely looking foward to rejiggering my train tracks to work in the new stuff.

Also on that note: Freed from the tyranny of power for the foreseeable future, i'm now working on The Grand Rebuild.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false[img][/img]

Goodbye ugly old Plastic and Rubber factory! Time for the shiny new version. This is the starting module, which refines the Oil into HOR. Right now the plastic resin is just being ground down but i have plans for it down the track. 600 Oil becomes 800 HOR. I used overclocking to keep the module small - didn't really want to build 20 fucking Refineries just to handle HOR alone. Gonna have to make enough of em for the actual recycling!

Really pleased with how this looks, and shoutout to @webguy20 for the color details for Warning Yellow.

Gonna try and keep this nice airy look going, because i think it's a winner. I always think things look more interesting when you can see the detail - it's why i struggle with building big buildings in this, because you loose so much detail to them.

There is something nice about the open air aesthetic especially in regards to oil production and refining. I think its because we know what an actual refinery should look like in real life. All the exposed pipes, the catwalks and the steel girder frames all make for cool constructions in their own right.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Update 5 out for really real out of experimental
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y4vILmorZ0

• Options
    Do i have to move my experimental save over? This was my first time starting on the experimental branch.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    I too would like to know for the same reason. ^

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    IIRC, narp. Just save your game, switch to the normal version and bing bang boom yer done

• Options
    How it works is, right now, the Early Access version and the Experimental version are effectively the same game version, so you can swap your save between them. You can always move forward with saves, but not backwards, so if a new patch comes out you can save your game with it, but you wouldn't be able to load up an earlier build and be able to access your save anymore.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I forgot just how slow movement is in this game without my handy dandy exosuit. Hopefully that's a mod that updates quickly.

• Options
    Tip: by the point you're building nuclear power, you're no longer resource-constrained for the purpose of putting together buildings.

Don't be like me and only build enough to fully use one Uranium node. Just build everything you need for 2/3/all nodes. It's fractionally more work, but when you go back and look at all the work you put into an electromagnetic control rod plant and realize it only meets 2/3 of your needs, it'll be worth it.

• Options
    I think you're way understating the level of work even exhausting a single node is.

Also at that point you have 175kmw, more if you burn the 3.5 plutonium fuel rods and what the fuck do you need that much power for !?

• Options
    Exhausting a single node is a massive undertaking.

Doing two is probably like ~20% more work, if you do it all at the same time.