As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So was watching some "what to do before endwalker" videos and I read that there was a stat crunch coming that will make doing unsyncd stuff more difficult. Wasn't sure how to do unsync'd so I checked that out and then did all the extreme ARR trials, got my horsies, got Kirin and then did Binding Coils of Bahamut up until the Second Coil 4 fight which I cant finish cause I cant DPS him down fast enough before that insta kill.. so ill just queue up for it at some point to get the bit of story for that. Video also said to run through the Omega stuff as it would be some good story beats for the expansion.

The instant kill stuff occurs when the boss hits 47% health. You can line up your damage buffs to burst them down asap. I think you have like ten seconds or so. I was able to do it as a i526 red mage.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So was watching some "what to do before endwalker" videos and I read that there was a stat crunch coming that will make doing unsyncd stuff more difficult. Wasn't sure how to do unsync'd so I checked that out and then did all the extreme ARR trials, got my horsies, got Kirin and then did Binding Coils of Bahamut up until the Second Coil 4 fight which I cant finish cause I cant DPS him down fast enough before that insta kill.. so ill just queue up for it at some point to get the bit of story for that. Video also said to run through the Omega stuff as it would be some good story beats for the expansion.

The instant kill stuff occurs when the boss hits 47% health. You can line up your damage buffs to burst them down asap. I think you have like ten seconds or so. I was able to do it as a i526 red mage.

Yeah I did that fight a few days ago, ended up doing it on blue mage. Got it down to about 60-70% then finished the fight with a buffed final sting.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    gd, these boots
    0lf0tgeiijrt.png

500k on marketboard. these would complete the fantasy of like, 4 of my glamours, but I'm not gonna spend half a mil on boots.

jc37e8j9zuph.png

179ehsmzwnva.png

Dhalphir on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Which map is dropping the material for those again? Is it just in one of the older dungeons or is it on the map itself now?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    not sure - my friendly retainer just brought them back for free

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    You will not be able to buy a house with 500k ever
    Not necessarily true. I've won a house on Balmung against 25 other people clicking at the same time. Odds are low but nonzero.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    you can buy rooms in fc houses as well, for 300k. I prefer an apartment though because it's mine forever and also you have neighbors. still some good stuff you can do with one, and you can partition it into multiple rooms. I have mine set up as a bookstore/living area shared space

vky1iz4dz2h5.jpg
    pz8fubhmd4c0.jpg

@Jars that is really nice.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The announced housing changes so far don't really seek to really fix the supply issue; not by much. They're primarily to turn whether you get a house completely into RNG, so that players can't get angry for one another if they don't get a plot. Which I think is, for one, mistaken, since people are already trying to work out ways to game the system (like going ebay style and waiting until the VERY LAST SECOND to throw in for a plot). But also, that was never really the issue about housing. The actual issue is much, much simpler, that demand completely outstrips supply.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It doesn't address supply, but I think it will help culture, if that makes sense

liEt3nH.png
    I don't really have an issue with the supply of housing. MMOs are always built around have and have nots. The whole gameplay loop is becoming a have.

If I didn't have a house and wanted one, the lottery system wouldn't make me happier. Instead of fighting 20 or so other people, but the effort I put in having some bearing on getting a house, it moves to not having to put in any effort but having an equal chance with potentially thousands of others. So I wouldn't feel that things are better.
    As has been noted, the only thing that will fix things is increasing the supply, which to be fair the Ishgard wards will do in a small way. And I'd imagine that a year after Endwalker comes out there will be a fair number of homeowners who haven't logged in for months, so those houses will start coming up. But that's no comfort now to the homeless.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Javen wrote: »
    The announced housing changes so far don't really seek to really fix the supply issue; not by much. They're primarily to turn whether you get a house completely into RNG, so that players can't get angry for one another if they don't get a plot. Which I think is, for one, mistaken, since people are already trying to work out ways to game the system (like going ebay style and waiting until the VERY LAST SECOND to throw in for a plot). But also, that was never really the issue about housing. The actual issue is much, much simpler, that demand completely outstrips supply.

The supply problem isn't fixable, though. Or rather, it isn't fixable in a way people want it fixed (because they already fixed it that way by adding apartments.) Criticizing it is like criticizing queues.

If you care about the house-ness of the house, you have to accept the scarcity is a product of that. If you don't, just buy an apartment.

admanb on
    admanb wrote: »

The supply problem isn't fixable, though. Or rather, it isn't fixable in a way people want it fixed (because they already fixed it that way by adding apartments.) Criticizing it is like criticizing queues.

??? A supply problem is fixable by adding more of the item. And apartments are nothing like houses. No exterior, small, no gardens.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

If you care about the house-ness of the house, you have to accept the scarcity is a product of that. If you don't, just buy an apartment.

Apartments don't have instanced outdoor space though, right?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited November 2021
    The point is that there is no way to have outdoor shared housing spaces with other players and not have the supply be limited, because spinning up that many instances constantly requires server infrastructure. Apartments are loaded on demand so you can essentially add as many of them as you want, but even a single person zoning into a housing Ward loads every single house into that instance.

I would rather have immersive, populated neighborhoods of shared outdoor spaces with limited housing supply, than have unlimited housing supply but every house is its own instance like a World of Warcraft garrison.

The ideal world of course is unlimited neighborhoods, but in the realities of server infrastructure that just is impossible, and I don't feel that adding unlimited housing supply is worth bastardising what makes final fantasy housing cool.

Dhalphir on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Didn't wildstar let everyone have a house

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited November 2021

Wildstar didn't have instanced neighbourhoods, just instanced houses - each house worked more like FFXIV's apartments, just with an exterior as well as an interior. Strictly inferior to FFXIV's housing in every way except greater supply.

Like I said - I'm not a fan of ruining what makes FFXIV's housing unique in the pursuit of greater supply.

Dhalphir on
    new boots

gj9raw8hh3e3.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    regarding houses, see the following for how the prices look as of right now (hasn't changed in a long while):
    H69vhHU.png
    from this link, which also has which plots are which grades in each housing zone - https://imgur.com/a/n7wzC

Not sure why my medium plot in Shiro was the lowest grade... I think it's amazing, and definitely happy it was "only" 16 mil instead of 20.

zerzhul on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    The view from my FC's 1st class Large in Mist.
    kuka8y5fbwo8.png
    ujjmqydn7ryt.png

zerzhul on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    a few more shots. It could use some more wall decorations, I haven't got a good plan for those
    c30EQcP.png
    PNFLP0P.png
    t9Xdknk.png
    o2mYLKg.png

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Wildstar didn't have instanced neighbourhoods, just instanced houses - each house worked more like FFXIV's apartments, just with an exterior as well as an interior. Strictly inferior to FFXIV's housing in every way except greater supply.

Like I said - I'm not a fan of ruining what makes FFXIV's housing unique in the pursuit of greater supply.

I've heard they were much better for customizing than 14's jank as well

BahamutZERO.gif

I haven't really explored housing at all, so I can't really comment on the actual house decoration. But I'm a really big fan of the overall feel and aesthetic of FFXIV's housing & neighborhoods, and I'd hate to see that feeling lost.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wandering around an FFXIV neighborhood is a really fun lazy day activity.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

From what I've understood from people who actually played WildStar, the general house customization is the one thing that game did better than anyone else.

Too bad about the *gestures in the general direction of the rest of the game*

So I think I've mentioned I've been going back and rewatching MSQ cutscenes since swapping to Viera, to get my headcanon right for EW as Viera instead of the old character

Either I'd forgotten how badass your character looks in the final 5.0 quest, or Hyur didn't exude as much sheer BADASSERY as Viera does in the scene, but look at this;

Shadowbringers spoilers
    wgmfpdtsrh1m.png

hira9l5rnezj.png

3kh12shajo3g.png

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    WildStar's housing was a floating island where you could place items with little to no limitations besides "has to fit on the island", it was a cool system, but pretty much completely separate from the rest of the game. IIRC you could invite other players to visit and there was a thriving cottage industry of jumping puzzles in there.

SWTOR also has very elaborate player housing (and guild battleships the size of a moon), with a shitton of items and you can have a house on a bunch of different planets with no limitations. You can invite other players to your house and there's a lot of players who only play the game for decorating ever more houses. They also have some wild locations: a deserted temple, a moving train, a penthouse in Nar Shaddaa ... All items can only be placed on hooks, but can be nudged a meter to the left/right to allow for some flexibility. What SWTOR does not have is the sheer scope of different housing item styles, pretty much every item looks like it could be on the set of a Star Wars movie. There are options to display your mount collection, though, which is pretty cool. It's also deeply entwined in their F2P model, so a lot of functions and items are nickle-and-dimed.

FFXIV is going to have some kind of island private housing, but it remains to be seen how elaborate it's going to be. Considering they haven't been bragging about it every single day, I fear it will be rather limited. Best to keep expectations low and hope to have a pleasant surprise in the future.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Just as some random musing, one of my favorite Fallout/Skyrim mods was the Underground Hideout, or whatever the Skyrim version was called -- the Fallout version added, well, an underground hideout with lots of fancy stuff, and one of the most talked about things was... The Wall. It was where you could hang weapons for display, and then have some mannequins to display armor sets.

I'd really love it if FFXIV went nuts on something like that - expand on the glamour chest, let me collect more stuff, display complete armor sets on mannequins, hang weapons on the wall, etc etc.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    There's a trick using mannequins and partitions to hang up weapons.

You can see it at work here.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The lottery change is way overdue either way. Requiring players to camp out for twelve hours just for a shot at maybe hitting that buy button the moment the plot became available is antithetical to the way they've been designing the rest of the game - the lottery system is going to end up saving thousands of player hours of time going forward.

reVerse wrote: »

From what I've understood from people who actually played WildStar, the general house customization is the one thing that game did better than anyone else.

Too bad about the *gestures in the general direction of the rest of the game*

I still miss Star Wars Galaxies' housing, no other MMO at the time(or even since) supported player housing communities quite as well. (mainly because nobody has wanted to make a true sandbox MMO since then)

Didn't even know mannequins exist, because why should I bother with the housing system when I can't get a house?

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Didn't even know mannequins exist, because why should I bother with the housing system when I can't get a house?

I spent 500k gil on an apartment where I keep my paintings and some statuettes. Putting items on a mannequin takes away slots you can use in the MB. Which is a bit of a pain when you only have two retainers.

It is just an empty room where I have placed some random decorations that I don't want to get rid of but also don't want to keep in my inventory.

I'm honestly kind of excited about that island sanctuary thing, because when it comes to player housing in games I always end up being a "mattress on the floor" kind of interior decorator.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The housing stuff is exactly the sort of thing I am down for but also I know that if I were to get one I would never actually decorate it because I have a room in my FC estate that I haven't done a damn thing with.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    …you know, in regards to Island Sanctuaries…
    I would love it, if you’ve completed the Omega raid series and quests, if Alpha comes by and visits your island sometimes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I would love it, if you’ve completed the Omega raid series and quests, if Alpha comes by and visits your island sometimes.
    How would you tell him apart from your wind-up Alpha, though?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    He'd be there with omega which I dont think has an actual housing item

M A G I K A Z A M
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    He'd be there with omega which I dont think has an actual housing item
    Wind-Up Alpha and OMG are both Alpha and Mini-Omega pets, which the idea is that the devs have previously stated your island sanctuary will be populated by minions from your obtained minions list.

This discussion has been closed.