As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Well all the Lions fans that were clamoring for Boyle to go in for Goff last week, gets to see while Goff isn't good, he's not the only issue for the team.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Buffalo better pull their thumbs out of their asses.

I'm gonna be so pissed if they just concede the division to the Patriots, because they can't put away mediocre teams, let alone crap ones.

The Colts aren't crap, but Buffalo was supposed to be "the" threat for the Conference. KC also have been shit, but Buffalo have been in the wings for two decades, and seem to have everything in place, but just shitting the bed seems to be happening.

ADDIT: I have faith that Tennesse can break Houston's back, but if they let this 12-0 lead stand, fuck them too.

Also, what the fuck, seriously, is the point of putting Flacco in in the Jets/Dolphins game? They're not going to have a successful season, so it should be evaluations. If you can't put in Wilson, put in White. Is he crap? Probably. But what are you going to learn from having Flacco in there? This is like when they kept Hackenberg for two entire years. Put him in. Evaluate him. If he's salvageable, do what you can. If he's not, release him, and free up the roster spot.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Perhaps the NFL should institute a playoff committee?

• Options

No thanks. A playoffs that consistently has three NFC East teams (because markets!) is not something I'm interested in.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I think there's definitely something to be said for not putting out rookie QBs to get annihilated and broken.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

No thanks. A playoffs that consistently has three NFC East teams (because markets!) is not something I'm interested in.

To be fair, there also won't be any teams West of the Rockies because nobody watches those games.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »
    I think there's definitely something to be said for not putting out rookie QBs to get annihilated and broken.

As long as you don't have them try to do everything, there's something to be said for trying.

Again, the Jets aren't within spitting difference of having a successful season. So you don't need to use the entire playbook, and you give him direction to not do stupid shit. So, limit the designed runs, only go for second reads before a declared dump-off/throw away.

If he's not getting game experience, what's the point?

Only time I can see not doing so, is if your OLine is just completely fucking useless. And if it is, it doesn't matter who's in there. If it's that bad, what's Flacco gonna do but get put in the hospital?

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »

As long as you don't have them try to do everything, there's something to be said for trying.

Again, the Jets aren't within spitting difference of having a successful season. So you don't need to use the entire playbook, and you give him direction to not do stupid shit. So, limit the designed runs, only go for second reads before a declared dump-off/throw away.

If he's not getting game experience, what's the point?

Only time I can see not doing so, is if your OLine is just completely fucking useless. And if it is, it doesn't matter who's in there. If it's that bad, what's Flacco gonna do but get put in the hospital?

I mean, Flacco is there because he's a semi warm body and isn't the future of the franchise. He can mentor in practice and hopefully show the kid some things, probably not any good things at this point, but things, and you're the Jets so nobody is going to scrutinize you that closely!

At least you aren't the Lions who could have started me at QB this week and performed identically.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Taylor is just killing Buffalo today. 5 TDs, and it's only been three quarters.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I do like watching Tucker kick field goals.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Lions had 4th and 1 at the Browns 25 down six with 8 minutes left and kicked a field goal. They did not score again.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Lions had 4th and 1 at the Browns 25 down six with 8 minutes left and kicked a field goal. They did not score again.

Yeah, I saw that, and I just thought "Yeah, they're done."

So much for biting kneecaps. If that situation isn't where you go for it, and you're not confident you can get it, when is?

I mean, the only time it makes a difference is if you get a FG later, and that just ties the game. Which, given their position, fuck that.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I reassured my wife that the last Cowboys game we watched where they lost badly (Broncos) was an aberration and that the Chiefs/Boys game should be good.

Fast forward 10 minutes: "Well, I guess I was wrong."

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    On my birthday today, I had Taylor, Patriots D and their kicker.

Loving this early present.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    I reassured my wife that the last Cowboys game we watched where they lost badly (Broncos) was an aberration and that the Chiefs/Boys game should be good.

Fast forward 10 minutes: "Well, I guess I was wrong."

Quit being negative, it makes Pollard work.

Be positive, so they suck!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Aikman talking up Zeke making a block, "delivering a blow" as you clearly see Elliot grabbing Sneed's face mask and turning his head.

God, why must Troy announce every Cowboys game on FOX?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Fire Pete Carroll. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.

Sorry, anyone who calls a between-the-tackles run on 3rd and 20 from the 50 (which means you need 15+ to get in FG range), and doesn't have a McCaffrey or the like, is just wasting everyone's time.

At least with a pass, it's
    - not going to affect field position for the likely 4th down punt.
    - might pick up the yardage.
    - might get a flag that gets an automatic 1st down.

If you're going to call a run play like that, you might as well punt. Just as likely to end with a positive play.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Fire Pete Carroll. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.

Sorry, anyone who calls a between-the-tackles run on 3rd and 20 from the 50 (which means you need 15+ to get in FG range), and doesn't have a McCaffrey or the like, is just wasting everyone's time.

At least with a pass, it's
    - not going to affect field position for the likely 4th down punt.
    - might pick up the yardage.
    - might get a flag that gets an automatic 1st down.

If you're going to call a run play like that, you might as well punt. Just as likely to end with a positive play.

But Morgan, "USC"!!!

• Options
    Aikman talking up Zeke making a block, "delivering a blow" as you clearly see Elliot grabbing Sneed's face mask and turning his head.

It is a mystery!

• Options
    Eagles making a statement running 50 times against the #1 ranked run defense in the league. That's legit impressive.

A bit of "if you all you have is a hammer..."

but hey, they won

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

It is a mystery!

At least Romo on CBS can be fairly objective and calls the Boys out if they screw up. Aikman always sounds like he's still got Jerry Jones' hand up his ass working him like a muppet.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Way to go, KC.

REALLY wanted you to win, because my dislike for the Cowboys, McCarthy and Jerrah are a matter of record. Only the Pats are more personally contemptible.

And I like Mahomes.

The Cowboys let Dak get sacked, and the Chiefs get the punt, less than 8m to go, up 10pts.

And then you do the fucking racist "chant". So I hope you both lose, and I'm gonna switch over to the Seahawks/Cardinals game.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    They need to bury that fucking chant in the dirt where it belongs. Just blast music over it and drown the racist shits out.

But no, Clark Hunt is incapable of doing anything about racist bullshit because he's a fucking bootlicker.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Super happy we traded Slay for peanuts and now he has as many TD's as the Lions in the last 4 weeks.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Super happy we traded Slay for peanuts and now he has as many TD's as the Lions in the last 4 weeks.

There are so many players that are amazing on other teams that the Lions just gave up on and let go. Kyle Van Noy, Slay, Diggs, etc. Its infuriating.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

There are so many players that are amazing on other teams that the Lions just gave up on and let go. Kyle Van Noy, Slay, Diggs, etc. Its infuriating.
    It’s as if there is some other issue at the Lions that isn’t the players.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

It’s as if there is some other issue at the Lions that isn’t the players.

Clearly it's the referees.

• Options

Well Van Noy has only really succeeded on the Pats. He was ok for the Lions but not great and the Dolphins gave up on him after 1 year. Diggs, likewise was a good player on Detroit, played way better in Seattle but has come back to earth here this year. Some players just end up doing better in new situations sometimes, the Lions are not alone in that.

Slay is in the same screw up category of not drafting Aaron Donald. You had a chance to draft a position high in the draft and let the veteran help coach him up. For Donald, he'd play with Suh for 1 year before taking over. In this case Okudah, who not only plays a position that needs a ton of coaching, but an individual that wasn't super polished. Both cases the Lions just flat out screw up.

• Options
    So, this is going to happen. Again.
    The revived professional football league was officially announced back in July. Fox holds a minority stake in the company that owns the USFL and Fox Sports will be the league’s broadcast partner. In early November, the league unveiled a corporate masthead that is heavy on Fox Sports personnel, including analysts Daryl Johnston and Mike Pereira.

Today, we finally found out what the eight teams involved in the league will be called. As announced on Fox’s The Herd with Colin Cowherd, the eight new teams will sound familiar to anyone who followed the original version of the USFL when it existed from 1982 to 1986.

The new-look USFL will be split into two divisions. The Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers will play in the North Division. The Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers, and Tampa Bay Bandits will play in the South Division.

USFL games will take place during the NFL offseason in the spring and early summer with each team playing a 10-game schedule. Most games will be played on Saturday and Sunday, with special broadcasts on some Fridays and Mondays. While all games are expected to be played in Birmingham, AL this year, each team plans to play in their home market in the years ahead.

'Years ahead'. How ambitious.

• Options
    I think Payton has taken too many hits. Watching him and Eli, you can tell Eli came out of playing sharper.

• Options
    So, this is going to happen. Again.
    The revived professional football league was officially announced back in July. Fox holds a minority stake in the company that owns the USFL and Fox Sports will be the league’s broadcast partner. In early November, the league unveiled a corporate masthead that is heavy on Fox Sports personnel, including analysts Daryl Johnston and Mike Pereira.

Today, we finally found out what the eight teams involved in the league will be called. As announced on Fox’s The Herd with Colin Cowherd, the eight new teams will sound familiar to anyone who followed the original version of the USFL when it existed from 1982 to 1986.

The new-look USFL will be split into two divisions. The Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers will play in the North Division. The Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers, and Tampa Bay Bandits will play in the South Division.

USFL games will take place during the NFL offseason in the spring and early summer with each team playing a 10-game schedule. Most games will be played on Saturday and Sunday, with special broadcasts on some Fridays and Mondays. While all games are expected to be played in Birmingham, AL this year, each team plans to play in their home market in the years ahead.

'Years ahead'. How ambitious.

Congrats to the two or three players that make it onto NFL practice squads, and sympathies to the dozens of players that'll suffer injuries that won't come close to being covered by the league through salary or medical care, before the league collapses.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’ve reached the point where I want the Seahawks to blow it all up. Fire Carroll and his staff, fire Schneider, and draft Wilson’s replacement now because 1. His best days are behind him and 2. He’s gone at the end of his contract no matter how much they coddle him.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I’ve reached the point where I want the Seahawks to blow it all up. Fire Carroll and his staff, fire Schneider, and draft Wilson’s replacement now because 1. His best days are behind him and 2. He’s gone at the end of his contract no matter how much they coddle him.

Watch them try to trade Russ for Tua if the new regime and Wilson don't see , eye to eye.

• Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Watch them try to trade Russ for Tua if the new regime and Wilson don't see , eye to eye.

If that happens, hope Tua's life insurance is paid up, because he's going to get killed behind that line.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

If that's on the table y'all should want the gm shitcanned too

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Schneider is the GM

Definitely want him gone

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I think Payton has taken too many hits. Watching him and Eli, you can tell Eli came out of playing sharper.

I have only seen segments of this Peyton-Eli experiment and I was initially supportive of the concept. But after seeing a clip from last night and it featuring Condoleezza Rice, I never want to see any of it again.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

"BREAKING NEWS: The #Giants are firing offensive coordinator Jason Garrett after 26 games in New York, according to a source."
    - Pat Leonard is the Giants beat writer for NY Daily News.

Can't say it's surprising, and I never had much faith in him as a coach, but also, it's one of those "that guy wasn't the sole reason you were losing" things.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

If that happens, hope Tua's life insurance is paid up, because he's going to get killed behind that line.

Have you seen Miami's line?

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Rumor has it the Bears are dumping Nagy after Thanksgiving.

Which means the Lions will probably get their first win as Nagy is the petty kind of asshole that will throw a game out of spite.